Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Its time. Hit me with an anime recommendation that isn't BNA. I gave up on watching Gundam because I got bored I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Toalpaz posted:

Its time. Hit me with an anime recommendation that isn't BNA. I gave up on watching Gundam because I got bored I guess.
random bullshit? okay, watch Parasyte

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

random bullshit? okay, watch Parasyte

read the manga :(

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

Tsuredure Children is short and sweet

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Toalpaz posted:

Escaflowne

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

planet with

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Roth posted:

Ok I will try it out friend.

E:
Thank you all for your suggestions, I assure you they will be added to the list.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Toalpaz posted:

read the manga :(
eh, no big loss then, beyond the chompy-head sort of thing in animated form

try Rahxephon then

and if you've already seen that one, read the manga version because it's completely, grotesquely different from the anime

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I chose a random anime, and came up with Kaiji.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Toalpaz posted:

megami tengoku

alternatively, if it has to be on a streaming site, maria watches over us

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Kaiji is so good!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Roth posted:

This is the cutest poo poo ever wtf.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Captain Invictus posted:

try Rahxephon then

and if you've already seen that one, read the manga version because it's completely, grotesquely different from the anime

How different are we talking here

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RabidWeasel posted:

How different are we talking here
it is three volumes long and quite a bit different plotwise than the show, there are multiple characters not in the anime, it's considerably darker than the anime imo and is super good, go read it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

i started that this week and it kicks rear end

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

This is the cutest poo poo ever wtf.

The comedic timing is so on point throughout the series.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Just here to recommend, as probably tons of people have before me, Legend of the Galactic Heroes original series. It took several false start to get into, but once I did, it just consumed my life. I kept really detailed notes, it was just inspiring and I think sophisticated and touched on deep topics. Right after finishing the last episode, I was so moved and had such an emotional high that I immediately bought a plane ticket to go bum around Asia for a month. That anime was I think perfect. People poo poo on Yang as being too stereotypical but I love Yang, he was so cool.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, I just had the wild urge to start watching Naruto. I read some of the early manga, but really have no idea where I stopped. I kinda remember a giant snake? And a giant slug? And I remember Rock Lee is a natural-born master of drunken boxing.

I also recall that there were a lot of complaints that the anime was stuffed full of filler arcs because they kept catching up to the manga. So, is there an abridged episode list I could use to bring myself up to speed on the arcs I already read, miss the filler, and maybe skip any episodes that are mostly screaming and glowing? Also, there's apparently Naruto Shippuden and... Boruto? Did... did Naruto name his son Bort? I'm sorry, I can't take that seriously.

Alternately (And I would actually prefer this), if there are better magical ninja series, or more historically-accurate ninja series (I would honestly love a good period piece), I'm all ears.

And I do still have that list of recs y'all gave me previously, I just jump around a lot because I'm not always in the mood for the same thing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dareon posted:

So, I just had the wild urge to start watching Naruto. I read some of the early manga, but really have no idea where I stopped. I kinda remember a giant snake? And a giant slug? And I remember Rock Lee is a natural-born master of drunken boxing.

I also recall that there were a lot of complaints that the anime was stuffed full of filler arcs because they kept catching up to the manga. So, is there an abridged episode list I could use to bring myself up to speed on the arcs I already read, miss the filler, and maybe skip any episodes that are mostly screaming and glowing? Also, there's apparently Naruto Shippuden and... Boruto? Did... did Naruto name his son Bort? I'm sorry, I can't take that seriously.

Alternately (And I would actually prefer this), if there are better magical ninja series, or more historically-accurate ninja series (I would honestly love a good period piece), I'm all ears.

And I do still have that list of recs y'all gave me previously, I just jump around a lot because I'm not always in the mood for the same thing.

Sounds like you read most of Part 1 of Naruto. The anime titled "Naruto" is pre timeskip manga, and the anime titled "Naruto Shippuden" is post timeskip manga. "Boruto" is a separate series that occurs even further into the future. The first anime still.hold up fairly well, and while there are a couple of filler episodes in there, nothing is really worth skipping from ep 1-135, except maybe the filler arc ep 102-106, though it's not too bad. After ep 135, [i]everything else until ep 220[/spoiler] is pure filler. 220 is the last ep pre timeskip. Once you get into Shippuden, then you start to get a lot of filler arcs and episodes dispersed throughout the series, and will want a dedicated guide telling you what to skip.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dareon posted:

Also, there's apparently Naruto Shippuden and... Boruto? Did... did Naruto name his son Bort? I'm sorry, I can't take that seriously.

Glad I'm not the only person who assumed that Boruto was some kind of internet satire

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bolt, son of Nalt.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

bolt, nephew of screw

anyway i'm not a naruto expert but boruto has been pretty good as someone who enjoyed the first half of naruto before falling off, like a decade ago or whatever

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

looking for something super gorey/violent but with a lighter tone. dorohedoro is an excellent example of this

alternatively, some kind of really sick animation showcase that would be a blast to watch while high as balls would be a really nice rec to get too. i dunno if there's any hidden mob psychos out there that i haven't heard of but if there are, i wanna hear about them!

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 21, 2020

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

looking for something super gorey/violent but with a lighter tone. dorohedoro is an excellent example of this

alternatively, some kind of really sick animation showcase that would be a blast to watch while high as balls would be a really nice rec to get too. i dunno if there's any hidden mob psychos out there that i haven't heard of but if there are, i wanna hear about them!

Star Driver didn't wind up amounting to much, but I remember being v into it at the time and that's p much entirely down to the production values, maybe give that a shot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

have you watched eizouken, for the latter

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ninjewtsu posted:

Sturgill Simpson's Sound & Fury kinda fits both bills. It's basically a full album of music videos, many of which are animated and all of which are awesome and (probably) more awesome while stoned.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Violent with lighter tone: Baccano, possibly?

Cool animation: Ping Pong, Paprika, Redline (meh film but looks amazing)?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Death Parade maybe?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tenamonya voyagers
choujin locke (1984)

locke is def slow at points since it's a 2hr space opera movie, but i found the big setpiece animations super cool. there's definitely a degree of trippiness to some of it due to a brainwashing plotline. i'd throw in that there's some violence to locke but not enough i'd treat it as fulfilling the former requirement, especially since the tone is mostly dramatic (just not heavy).

and tenamonya is just a wild pre-shaft shinbo thing that has great action setpieces and some over the top scene transitions.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Flip Flappers?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

Kaiba. In fact, you don't even need to be high as balls for Kaiba to make you trip.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

every shintaro kago manga

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Noiseman Sound Insect

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Trava Fist Planet is the prequel to Redline nobody knows about. It's more chill and talky for its runtime but there's the occasional super good animation sequence

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's about the lobster guy and bunny guy and the time they found the woman with the fattest rear end in the universe.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

welp i got something to watch now :tutbutt:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ninjewtsu posted:

Someone already said Kaiba, but also any other Masaki Yuasa anime will be perfect for this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Masaaki Yuasa is the most consistent anime director ever to live. There are directors with individual works I like more, but Hideaki Anno or Kunihiku Ikuhara absolutely have stinkers or shows / movies that just didn't grab me. Yuasa on the other hand literally cannot miss.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

was his japan sinks good? i saw a zillion negative reviews of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tales of Woe posted:

was his japan sinks good? i saw a zillion negative reviews of it

I haven't seen it yet, but thanks for the reminder!