Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Yes, things like steak or lobster cost more per pound. You pay even more for them at the restaurant, because you want a person who cooks for a living to prepare your expensive meat the right way.

This is not steak. This is pizza and ground beef and some hamburger toppings. If it was $200-$250 I could understand that it is a pain in the rear end to make and you pay extra for the novelty. The kind of thing you'd order for a huge party or something.

There is no reason for this to cost $2000. It is big hamburger pizza. It has no special ingredients, they don't have to use a special oven it just barely fits into the regular pizza oven. Congrats on the restaurant for pulling one over on wealthy idiots I guess??
Somebody throwing a steak in the fridge for a week before putting it in the salamander for 5 minutes for $200/lb: acceptable frivolity, they are experts after all
Building a hamburger monstrosity the size of a small dog that took the better part of the day to assemble for $50/lb: how dare they

E. I want to make it clear I am making fun of your original focus on the $ per weight of this stupid thing when the obvious point is it's a small dog of mixed and jumbled flavors that I don't understand why it exists.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Aug 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm more irritated that those two people clearly weren't even going to eat more than a bite or two of the thing. They weren't even hungry

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Data Graham posted:

I'm more irritated that those two people clearly weren't even going to eat more than a bite or two of the thing. They weren't even hungry

The American way

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If someone cooked my steak by stuffing it inside a mythological creature I would also be quite impressed tbh.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
like all food insider garbage it is made for click bait and for rich idiots to buy so they can put it on instagram.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

WITCHCRAFT posted:

There is no reason for this to cost $2000. It is big hamburger pizza. It has no special ingredients, they don't have to use a special oven it just barely fits into the regular pizza oven. Congrats on the restaurant for pulling one over on wealthy idiots I guess??

The price is for labor and the fact that the restaurant generally doesn't want to do it a lot. It is absolutely no different from charging a hundred bucks for a burger because you put $5 worth of gold leaf in it. You can charge what you want for your ridiculous big ticket items. It's not like it's price-gouging something that people need.

augias posted:

Did u know truffle oil is a synthetic flavor discovered at some chemical corporation's RnD department and its just vegetable oil + artificial flavor marked up to hell? The only real stuff would be truffles preserved in oil so buyers be aware.

I wonder if there's a way to get the artificial flavoring for cheap if you genuinely want the flavor. Often truffle flavor is just one of those things thrown in to justify jacking up the price for no real reasons.

Kinda like how natural diamonds are artificially expensive when really the quality of being a really shiny rock should be the only thing that matters.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The American way

I thought the American Way was to eat the entire thing plus dessert even without being hungry?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I thought the American Way was to eat the entire thing plus dessert even without being hungry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_3553sw0Q&t=95s

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I used to be able to get these white truffle potato chips, which did not include any actual truffle flavour in them, just artificial flavouring and generic mushroom extract, but I loved them so much.

Limited time offer from a grocery store brand, unfortunately.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I assume the 2000$ pizza burger people have to basically shut down the rest of their kitchen operation to work on that thing too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Something similar happened with that NYC restaurant that made the watermelon ham that went viral. It's fine if you're only serving one or two a day at most, because it takes 4 days of brining and then it has to cook for the entire day starting in the early morning to be ready by dinner service. Then it goes viral and now every table every day is trying to buy one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never mind this poo poo

https://luxurylaunches.com/other_st...ozen,Truffle%20(%242%2C500%20a%20pound).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At least half of that picture isn't food.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

At least half of that picture isn't food.

I think you get to keep the glass.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

chitoryu12 posted:

Something similar happened with that NYC restaurant that made the watermelon ham that went viral. It's fine if you're only serving one or two a day at most, because it takes 4 days of brining and then it has to cook for the entire day starting in the early morning to be ready by dinner service. Then it goes viral and now every table every day is trying to buy one.

What do you think all the famous new york pastrami places do?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

ZombieCrew posted:

Not that its an excuse, but they did use Kobe beef for the burger patty. Only to hide it in that pile of garbage.

are you pulling my leg

why

it is cafeteria tier bland food

(the reason is that a handful of people will still buy it and they make a profit)

SlothfulCobra posted:

The price is for labor and the fact that the restaurant generally doesn't want to do it a lot. It is absolutely no different from charging a hundred bucks for a burger because you put $5 worth of gold leaf in it. You can charge what you want for your ridiculous big ticket items. It's not like it's price-gouging something that people need.

It is not plated with gold leaf. It's hamburger pizza. Yes, a big one. There is no way labor would even cut into a tenth of the actual cost if it was just burger pizza.

Now that I know it is made with ground wagyu beef I am no less puzzled, but my blame is shifted entirely onto the consumer

why would you pay that much to have someone ruin a pristine pricey piece of meat

(the reason is that a handful of people will still buy it and they make a profit)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

WITCHCRAFT posted:

are you pulling my leg

why

it is cafeteria tier bland food

I wish i was. 1:50 mark of the video. 10# of ground kobe beef.

Cafeteria doesnt quite do it justice. The rest of the layers are romain lettuce, tomato, onion, ground chunks of meat?, ketchup, mozerella, and slices of american cheese. Nothing gets my appetite goin like hot soggy lettuce.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Who are these psychos that cook lettuce

gently caress

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p77rwddL7hk

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what's this about soap?
/

Plinkey has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Aug 22, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Typical pineapple pizza enjoyer:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

But he literally says he does not want pineapple on his pizza.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

But I think pineapple belongs on pizza :confused:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm kidding guys :roflolmao:

everybody likes cum on their pizza!

Manuel
Sep 11, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDjBEY_3qCI

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress

Cooked lettuce is real common in China. It's good! I don't think it'd work with iceberg but some of the more interesting fibrous lettuces are tasty cooked.

Stir fried cucumber is also great.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
iceberg is eaten raw cuz its utterly and brutally tasteless, generations of artificial breeders have worked dark arts to get american chicken nugget dudes to maybe eat a vegetable

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
very AFP post here, but I've heated up so many leftovers over the years that I've actually gotten a taste for cooked lettuce (and sour cream, but not avocado)

I'm also someone who likes when nachos get all soggy so I may be an outlier.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

iceberg is eaten raw cuz its utterly and brutally tasteless, generations of artificial breeders have worked dark arts to get american chicken nugget dudes to maybe eat a vegetable

I do like a little shredded iceberg in a salad mix for the crunch though. It has a superb crunch. Just needs to be with things that have flavors.

E: Huh, this uses iceberg. https://thewoksoflife.com/stir-fried-lettuce/ Woks of Life is hit or miss but I'd try this one. Looks similar to basic shredded cabbage stir fries.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Cooked lettuce is real common in China. It's good! I don't think it'd work with iceberg but some of the more interesting fibrous lettuces are tasty cooked.

Stir fried cucumber is also great.

There was this weird cooked salad Gordon Ramsey lost his mind over in an early episode of Kitchen Nightmares that somehow became an actual thing several years after the episode came out.
e: it's in the post above yours I somehow glossed over.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
thinking iceberg lettuce is tasteless is very strange. it has flavor and is good.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

My gf is Chinese, and she eats cooked romaine lettuce. People ask her if she's eating bok choi and she just says yes. Also iceberg lettuce is great.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Be drowned in butter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1RqEiEx4I

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TheAardvark posted:

very AFP post here, but I've heated up so many leftovers over the years that I've actually gotten a taste for cooked lettuce (and sour cream, but not avocado)

Hard same.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Brawnfire posted:

gently caress

In the kitchen I'm currently working in, the head cook is an older British lady, and invariably the solution to a vegetable being on the turn is to boil it and freeze for later use. It's a charity kitchen and so it's important to make as much use of food as possible.

I've never actually seen what happens to the boiled, frozen lettuce mush and I've worked there for about 6 months now. I'm guessing the answer is soup, somehow, but we can't serve soup at the moment because of COVID (bagged lunches) so maybe it will reveal itself in a year or so.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

TheAardvark posted:

I'm also someone who likes when nachos get all soggy so I may be an outlier.

To be fair, ill chow down on some jack in the box tacos. They have lettuce in those for no drat reason at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Might as well just eat it on the toilet it's going to slide right out of you before you even finished chewing.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Iceberg is excellent and crunchy and refreshing, its a summer hit, and a great vehicle for balsamic vinegar reduction.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I more want to know about iceberg pickles, since reading about them in the Wind in the Willows or some poo poo

They sound really tasty, like icebergs I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Google brings up recipes for icicle and iceberg pickles and they all sound awful and take multiple days to make with numerous boilings and strainings and food coloring and 1/2 cup of sugar per cucumber.

quote:

Ingredients:
15 medium pickling cucumbers

Syrup:

7 C sugar
1 qt white vinegar
3 T salt
2 T mixed pickling spice
2 t celery seed

Directions:
For 4 days pour boiling water over whole cucumbers.

On 5th day slice and pour boiling syrup over. For the next 4 days, drain off the syrup, boil and pour over the pickles.

On the 10th day, pour off the syrup. Put the pickle slices or spears into sterilized jars. Boil the syrup and pour into the jars of pickles. The hot syrup should create enough of a vacuum to seal the jars. If not, process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Why?