Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sab669 posted:

My original post was saying that if you HAVE SKILLS and don't like your work environment then go somewhere else.

This is a very econ 101 level view of the job market. The world is much more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ultrafilter posted:

Who benefits from your belief in that claim?

Higher ups. Of course I know this belief can be easily exploited and has been by many more industries. I don't argue that, but again it's just something that's been instilled in me, especially if there is compensation for what you are doing.

I think it's on a case by case basis. The example that Sab quoted, Joe Rogan interviewing Hugo Martin, one that I watched, yeah it can be viewed as a positive, having something to care about can lead a willingness to spend more hours than normal to finish the product, and i still think that's a good view on it, and not some excuse to propagate corporate slavery trickery.

Here's one example where crunch was not necessary, because management was so divided and incompetent. Anthem.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sab669 posted:

But that's simply not true lol. There are millions of Indie games available. It's literally never been easier to learn game design and development for free on your own time, and there's no shortage of successful indie titles to point to.

Obviously there's no guarantee of success, but that's the risk.

Look at how the original DOOM was made compared to DOOM Eternal.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think it's on a case by case basis. The example that Sab quoted, Joe Rogan interviewing Hugo Martin, one that I watched, yeah it can be viewed as a positive, having something to care about can lead a willingness to spend more hours than normal to finish the product, and i still think that's a good view on it, and not some excuse to propagate corporate slavery trickery.

It's gonna be easier as the creative lead of a game to be passionate and put in the time since it's (mostly) your vision being carried out but having to crunch when you're modeling a wall or something and have no input otherwise is ridiculous.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can't believe nobody wants to discuss the real merits of strapping on your job helmet and squeezing down into your job cannon and firing off into job land where jobs grow on jobies

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'll do some overtime if I'm paid double for it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

Ah yes, all those video games famously developed by children.

oh gently caress lol this reminded me of some dumb poo poo i saw on twitter about some guy assuming cartoons were all MADE by children, because they were for children.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

You can reroll each individual world if you didn't get the bosses you wanted but about half of the bosses turn into guns and the other half turn into abilities so you really should have more than two.

I’ve found plenty of guns but moving away from the coach gun and the Spitfire with it’s flamethrower (plus passive mod regeneration) is really hard. I guess I’m letting things get closer than they would otherwise but that just means I can use the flamethrower on them!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bosses will always push that idea though. Put up with terrible things and work hard and don't complain and you'll be rewarded later. Always do more to prove you're better than your coworkers, show you want it. Work overtime or even unpaid to make a good impression. Play the game, this is just how it is, and if you don't like it then you can go away

It's the reason pay is low, why you get "probation periods" and apprenticeships instead of real jobs, why workers have rights stripped away - you're supposed to accept it and go yes, this is good, I just need to prove myself and I'll get what I deserve. Shouldn't expect more, I need to know my place and be grateful. It's also why things like abuse are rife, because "that's just how it is" and people are discouraged from demanding better because there are career and financial consequences for it

And if someone's talking about a director and how they have a passion project etc then feel free to lol, because that's someone who is choosing when they work, because they want to - they're not being exploited, they're not seeing their personal lives and health disintegrate. The people under them don't get that choice, and they're also the ones doing the majority of the actual work. Higher ups can and do peace out whenever they want and that's saying nothing about how directors calculate their "working hours" which is poo poo like "10 hrs of lunches" and "going to the gym"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

baka kaba posted:

apprenticeships instead of real jobs
I think you mean internships? Apprenticeships are paid on-the-job vocational training, or at least that's what they are where I live.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Orv posted:

You can reroll each individual world if you didn't get the bosses you wanted but about half of the bosses turn into guns and the other half turn into abilities so you really should have more than two.

Well I've gotten 3 boss secondaries and about 5 boss mods, but only one primary weapon, the Devastator crossbow... which wasn't really for me thanks to its crazy long reloads between every shot.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

You probably already know this, but you can buy the other classes’ starting guns at the upgrade guy if you tab over, and all of them have their uses. Remnants gun balance is really good overall, there are certainly some weapons I think are worse than others (because they’re boss weapons with a preset weapon mod but I don’t think the mod is great), and some builds are better suited to multiplayer where you only need 1 player to take care of the all-important hunter’s mark mod, but pretty much everything has a build that will make it decent at the very worst

You can also get a sniper rifle on earth, guaranteed no matter how your campaign generated: go to the church where you defended root mom and go through the exit on the left instead of the right

And it’s not a long gun, but you can get an SMG in ward 13 barely any ways into the game: use the ward 13 keycard and fuse you find at the start of earth to get down to the bottom floor of the underground ward. After putting in the fuse to let you open a door with the keycard, go take the fuse back out. This shuts off a fan which lets you access a key. The key opens a locked door elsewhere in the underground ward where you find the SMG.

You can also get an Ancient Knowledge trait down there that increases exp gains, which you should get first thing in the game and max it out before anything else - if you play that character enough, it will eventually pay for itself

Thanks for the tips! I'd been down in that area in ward 13 already but I hadn't found either of those guns.

Also for some reason I started up the game today and found a bunch of preorder bonus stuff in my inventory :confuoot:. I guess Epic screwed up the bookkeeping somehow

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Rain World devs released another teaser for whatever the hell they're making. Footage is basically just a loop the whole way through, so don't watch to the end solely in the hopes of something. The music god drat rules, though, so I've actually watched it like 5 times already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y5Cbu5q1aU

Yeesssss! cant wait to see what this is going to be

please be rain world 2

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The further I get into Remnant the more I like it. It has some flaws (the main one for me being that some of the dungeons are a bit too long and the map is completely useless; I'm told that the scaling is a problem but I haven't seen it yet) but I really like that it gets real weird real quick. I'm not sure I ever saw any official marketing or anything about it but I had always heard it talked about as a very stereotypical post-apoc / Dark Souls / The World Is Dead and There Is No Hope setting and while it does start there, it's definitely weirder than that. I had also heard the general criticism that the game is pretty much the same all the way through as the first couple hours, and that's definitely not been true so far. Sure, it's mostly linear (although with unique linear paths per playthrough) but the gameplay opens up significantly after the second major boss with new guns and mods that play very differently, as well as enemies that require you to adapt.

For anyone still on the fence, here's how I'll sell it: it's Resident Evil 4 in the Stargate universe. Also you probably just got it for free, so play it.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Where would I find the time to play everything I got for free?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Growing up, I've been taught that personal sacrifice for your work
How about personal sacrifice for a large corporation's shareholders?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you mean internships? Apprenticeships are paid on-the-job vocational training, or at least that's what they are where I live.

That too but nah here at least "apprenticeships" have become a thing where you start an entry-level position where you'd normally just learn on the job, except now it's an ~apprenticeship~ where the employer gets to pay you way below minimum wage. love to get underpaid while learning the craft of stacking shelves or collecting beer glasses

It feeds on that exact same mentality though - you can't expect to be paid properly! You're new to the job! This is a big opportunity for you! You're getting your foot in the door! You should be grateful that they're helping YOU to develop your skills!

The games industry is known garbage for a lot of reasons, and fixing those problems doesn't involve going "suck it up this is just how it is why don't you leave if you don't like it there"

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 21, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tekken is on Steam...

https://twitter.com/ChariotDaGawd/s...ingawful.com%2F

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

baka kaba posted:

That too but nah here at least "apprenticeships" have become a thing where you start an entry-level position where you'd normally just learn on the job, except now it's an ~apprenticeship~ where the employer gets to pay you way below minimum wage. love to get underpaid while learning the craft of stacking shelves or collecting beer glasses

It feeds on that exact same mentality though - you can't expect to be paid properly! You're new to the job! This is a big opportunity for you! You're getting your foot in the door! You should be grateful that they're helping YOU to develop your skills!
I see. Yeah, that sounds really lovely, then. Our apprenticeships are government-acknowledged and it counts as having a qualified degree-equivalent training for your vocation, which allows you to do certain jobs that laypeople aren't allowed to and start a business while calling yourself a journeyman or master (after further training and examinations) of your field.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sab669 posted:

My original post was saying that if you HAVE SKILLS and don't like your work environment then go somewhere else.

If you HAVE SKILLS (meaning your current employer wants to keep you) and don't like your work you are in the perfect position to make changes in your existing workplace, like starting an union

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

graventy posted:

Where would I find the time to play everything I got for free?

That is literally me. I actively avoid free games because there's no point in hoarding a digital product.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m the opposite. I play most things on game pass because they’re time limited, and I’ll have my Steam games “for when I need them,” but available free time is my limiter on games these days, not money.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Sab669 posted:

You're putting words in my mouth, I never said anything about people working multiple jobs / minimum wage - obviously that's a serious problem. My original post was saying that if you HAVE SKILLS and don't like your work environment then go somewhere else. Anyways I'll just stop responding now since most of you don't seem to be willing to have an actual discussion and are instead just saying "you're dumb and your opinion bad" which is not how you change someone's opinion lol

Good move! In fact, think carefully before posting in here again!

In the interest of the beloved practice of collective punishment, next time I'm gonna change the thread to being the 'PC Gaming Megathread' as a punishment to you all. Not fair, I know, but it's important to establish that I am extremely uncool.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PC Gaming Megathread - Minesweeper, Solitaire, SkiFree, & more!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
going to ask if I can just put a pic of the skifree yeti as the thread title

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Any early impressions of INMOST? Looks like reviews are largely positive but the game's kinda short.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
PC Gaming Megathread: If you aren't passionate enough to work overtime on your backlog find another job.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Can I get a job playing through someone else's backlog?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

PC Gaming Megathread - An AUTOEXEC.BAT for each games launcher.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Can I get a job playing through someone else's backlog?

Min wage and you have to start with the Itch bundle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Chronicon, the Diablo-like ARPG that got a very positive reaction in this thread over the last few weeks, is now officially fully released as version 1.0 as of two hours ago. Everyone who wants to play the final act, this is your opportunity to catch up!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PC Gaming Megathread: Install Denuvo Anti-Cheat to post in this thread.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
PC Gaming Megathread: Romance of the Three Storefronts

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Blattdorf posted:

yo this rules

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

This but not as a joke.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm really digging Remnant too, it definitely gets better once you get past the opening area and you start getting some more interesting mods/accessories that really change things up. I'm our group's designated healer (because I always am if the game lets me :v:) and have been running with the cultist healing aura thing, but am wearing the ring that makes me do less damage but when I heal myself it also heals my teammates for half that amount. So during boss fights I can slap a healing aura down and hang out in it while defending with the coach gun and make sure my friends are topped off. The boss fights are all really well done and definitely gives that same feeling of beating a Dark Souls boss by losing a couple times and learning a little bit more each death until you can cobble together your knowledge to beat them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Blattdorf posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

New thread title owns

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey guys, I have some questions about Steam. Is this the right thread or should I post them somewhere else?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry, just PC games here. Steam client question should be addressed at the Steam support team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
wtf now Epic has 2 megathreads