Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

hambeet posted:

I’ve only gotten full on motion sickness when I was a teen from playing the original Descent when it came out. I think I eventually worked out that sitting too close to the screen didn’t help, but to this day I’ve avoided all of the Descent games as it had that big of an impact.

Oddly enough I got that feeling just last week when I was trying to find the right FOV for Vermintude 2 after I noticed how narrow it was (65). I tried putting I up to 90 and everything was slightly distorted. It does some weird vertical FOV poo poo and made it look like I was in a bubble.

edit: anecdote: my bro also has struggled with FPS due to motion sickness, but recently he tried my curved monitor and experienced no symptoms. he's wondering if it's got to do with a flat screen monitors corners being further away from eyes but still rendering flat? or some poo poo like that.

FOV changes are really like changing the lens on the camera, so the more you turn it up the more distortion you'll get to cram it all onto the image. High FOV settings are basically a fisheye, but in games it's usually rendered more like a weird stretchy tunnel where the important stuff in the middle is kinda shrunk into a small area. Maybe they were trying to make it look more like the way a real lens works?

also things like high refresh rates on monitors can help with discomfort, and high frame rates - is your curved monitor part of a sick rig?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The problem with high vermintide is that it'll make the game bearable to play but if you go near a wall your hand just clips through it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know what you've played, but as someone who gets motion sickness only on some games, Half Life is one of the worst and has poo poo for meaningful options to alleviate it. Portal is almost as bad and only worked because it's a puzzle game so I can play it in short bits and can choose to look away. There are a lot of other games I've had no issue with, though. I never had an issue with Thief or Dishonored or Far Cry or playing Skyrim in first person, for example. On the flipside, Rime is the only 3rd person game to give me motion sickness and I still don't know how that's possible.

To be honest, Portal was probably the last first-person game I played. I made an extra effort for that since everyone raved about it so much, but I basically just peaced out of the genre after deciding the side-effects weren't worth it. There's enough other genres out there that interest me. Does Skyrim lock you into first person during the opening cart ride cutscene? It's been ages since I played and can't really remember, but I seem to recall that being a thing - I couldn't switch to third-person until after the cutscene so I spent most of it looking out my window :v:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

One completely left field notion is that I saw a video of some girl who couldn't play VR without getting violently ill within five minutes. Turns out a CAT or MRI or something finally revealed that her sinuses in her head had been formed abnormally and it caused the issue, not just inner ear/etc. Yes it was a presumably expensive surgery to fix and I would bet that surgery money that you don't have anything similar, but I found it a fascinating cause.

Interesting! I've never actually tried anything VR related, though I've got a feeling it'll affect me as well. Weirdly, I don't get any other sort of motion sickness at all - no problems on sea, in cars, on planes etc. Who knows!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

dogstile posted:

The problem with high vermintide is that it'll make the game bearable to play but if you go near a wall your hand just clips through it.

I thought the vermintide was tidally locked

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

webmeister posted:

To be honest, Portal was probably the last first-person game I played. I made an extra effort for that since everyone raved about it so much, but I basically just peaced out of the genre after deciding the side-effects weren't worth it. There's enough other genres out there that interest me. Does Skyrim lock you into first person during the opening cart ride cutscene? It's been ages since I played and can't really remember, but I seem to recall that being a thing - I couldn't switch to third-person until after the cutscene so I spent most of it looking out my window :v:
I just tried and yeah apparently it does, and while it doesn't give me motion sickness I can see why it would, that bumpy road is terrible and unnecessary. Staying in a fixed view might give me motion sickness, but you can move your head around in the cutscene, and if I look backwards, or somewhat upwards it's fine. You're also locked in for a few minutes after the cart ride where you have to run around until you get to a house, only then can you switch views. I also played around a bit and while the first person view seems fine as far as motion sickness goes it feels clunkier and with a tighter FOV than I remember. Maybe I've been playing too many third person games because I always thought first person felt better in Skyrim, but now I'm thinking third person might be better. I also remembered that mouse sensitivity is the other setting I change to make things feel better.

I agree that there are so many great games of all sorts that cutting out the ones that give you motion sickness isn't a big deal. I know others have worse motion sickness than I do, I just found it interesting that you used Half life and Portal as your examples since I found those to be particularly bad about motion sickness.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

baka kaba posted:

FOV changes are really like changing the lens on the camera, so the more you turn it up the more distortion you'll get to cram it all onto the image. High FOV settings are basically a fisheye, but in games it's usually rendered more like a weird stretchy tunnel where the important stuff in the middle is kinda shrunk into a small area. Maybe they were trying to make it look more like the way a real lens works?

also things like high refresh rates on monitors can help with discomfort, and high frame rates - is your curved monitor part of a sick rig?

yeah, i normally used to play games like (oldschool) quake 2 and ut2k4 on FOVs of like 100-110. so when i cranked vermintude up to 90 it just distorted weirdly. others have reported similar so i think it's how they have calculated the fov or whatever.

yeah my monitor is 144hz so maybe that's a point i didn't' consider. i'll mention it to him, ta.

dogstile posted:

when it was too high it was actually really disorientating to jab with the spear or whatever it was i was using. the depth perception was off. (i've only really started playing)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

webmeister posted:

Interesting! I've never actually tried anything VR related, though I've got a feeling it'll affect me as well. Weirdly, I don't get any other sort of motion sickness at all - no problems on sea, in cars, on planes etc. Who knows!

just generally curious, do racing car games have the same effect?

hambeet fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 19, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

On the flipside, Rime is the only 3rd person game to give me motion sickness and I still don't know how that's possible.

Actually since we're on the subject, the single worst bout of motion sickness I've had in recent memory (that didn't involve a car and a lack of dramamine :() was the final stage in A Hat in Time's first DLC. The level is a cruise liner and for the big finale it naturally hits an iceberg and starts sinking. Cue platforming through the level, but the entire boat is tilted 45-75~ degrees to one side. :barf:

At least in that case it's not hard to figure out why it triggered me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

hambeet posted:

just generally curious, do racing car games have the same affect?

Not at all, weirdly enough. I used to play a lot of Gran Turismo way back in the day, and in the previous console gen I played a lot of Forza, Test Drive Unlimited, Burnout, Project Gotham etc. Never had an issue, and I always use first person camera for those (cockpit or bonnet cam).

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Upping the FOV a bit and disabling head/weapon bobbing usually fixes an FPS for me. I don't play many, but I recently got through all of Prey and Turok 2 remaster without trouble.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

webmeister posted:

Not at all, weirdly enough. I used to play a lot of Gran Turismo way back in the day, and in the previous console gen I played a lot of Forza, Test Drive Unlimited, Burnout, Project Gotham etc. Never had an issue, and I always use first person camera for those (cockpit or bonnet cam).

Could be a sitting on a couch away from the screen thing versus being only a foot or two away from a computer monitor. You ever try Halo or CoD in between Forza races?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It could be related to how movement and aiming are detached from eachother in shooters but a lot less often and to a much smaller degree in racing games

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

racing games are all about speed with constrictions on changes in direction, a different set of parameters vs FPS where one must be able to shift in any direction as quickly as possible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Enter the Gungeon and God's Trigger are free on EGS this week

Next week is Hitman 2016 and Shadowrun Collection

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Horror Girl Puzzle :nws: just got added to Indiegala Freebies.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 21, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you're going to post terrible hentai puzzles, you should at least mention Theatre of War 2: Centauro and A.I.M. Racing (which haven't been posted yet). They're not good games, but they're at least not... that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Horror Girl Puzzle just got added to Indiegala Freebies.

Might wanna :nws: the link.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Might wanna :nws: the link.

Thanks, to be honest I didn't notice it was NSFW. It says something about how I just scroll to the "Add to Library" button and then exit out of of the tab for all these games.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Thanks, to be honest I didn't notice it was NSFW. It says something about how I just scroll to the "Add to Library" button and then exit out of of the tab for all these games.

Free games: I just scroll to the "Add to Library" button and then exit out of of the tab

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Serious Sam: The First Encounter is free on GOG for the next 48 hours.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Also, a free* GoG copy of Slain: Back from Hell if you sign up to a mailing list.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

Original Doom is still worth playing in 2020. It holds up in a way very few classic games do, it's close to Super Mario World in that regard. The level design is just so perfect and does an amazing job of teaching you without having an explicit tutorial.

Also, new Indiegala freebie: Theatre of War 2: Centauro

Full agree but with the caveat that it's better with mouse controls put in.

It's interesting that Doom clones aged out of relevance within a couple of years while Doom is still excellent.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

tight aspirations posted:

Also, a free* GoG copy of Slain: Back from Hell if you sign up to a mailing list.

Did you manage to redeem this? I put in my email an email and when I click the confirmation it just tells me the page is missing

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Artelier posted:

Did you manage to redeem this? I put in my email an email and when I click the confirmation it just tells me the page is missing

I got a couple of emails asking to confirm and this

quote:

As a "Welcome Present" I am giving you a free copy of our best selling game Slain.

Why?

Well, I want you to have a chance to play the types of games that Digerati publishes.

We distribute free keys every day at 7AM PST time because so many people are taking us up on this offer. Thank you for your patience.

The key will arrive in an email from news@digeratidistribution.com. In that email will be a special link to the Good Old Games (GOG) store. Click on it to claim your copy of Slain.

Maybe wait a bit and try again? Could be getting mobbed.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Yeah, it seems like now that I've confirmed the email I just gotta wait till tomorrow morning.

Death Track: Resurrection got added to Indiegala.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Didn't even know Deathtrack had a sequel. Any good?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Griefor posted:

Full agree but with the caveat that it's better with mouse controls put in.

lmao

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

Yeah, it seems like now that I've confirmed the email I just gotta wait till tomorrow morning.

Death Track: Resurrection got added to Indiegala.

Trying to grab this but cant seem to add it to my account. How do you do this?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

Trying to grab this but cant seem to add it to my account. How do you do this?

There should be a green Add to Library Button in the middle of the page if you scroll down a little bit. You may have to sign up for the indiegala newsletter in order to claim them.

Here's the main Freebies page: https://freebies.indiegala.com/

Also, in lieu of the Frogwares Anniversary Sale on Steam, Magrunner: Dark Pulse is free until 10 AM PST on the 27th:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/209630/Magrunner_Dark_Pulse/

THE BAR posted:

No idea, haven't tried it yet, but gently caress it, it's free.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

THE BAR posted:

It really really isn't good.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/StickyLockGames/status/1298545721919123457

Requires a follow on twitter, and a discord account so you can tell them your twitter username.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Foglet posted:

It really really isn't good.

The first one wasn't either, not really, but it had so much charm.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hitman 2016 and the Shadowrun Collection are free on EGS this week

Next week is Into The Breach

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If they don't stop repeating games I'm afraid I'm going to have to kick Xi Jingping's rear end.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

repiv posted:

Shadowrun Collection

As a headsup to anyone looking to jump into the Shadowrun Collection, the three games have no connection to each other. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both really good, Returns is mechanically alright but the story is weak, and Hong Kong's bonus campaign is bad.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

TGLT posted:

As a headsup to anyone looking to jump into the Shadowrun Collection, the three games have no connection to each other. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both really good, Returns is mechanically alright but the story is weak, and Hong Kong's bonus campaign is bad.

Are these the ones that are like a cyberpunk XCOM?

XCOM and XCOM2 are my two most played games on Steam, but other games in the genre haven't grabbed me the same way.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

revtoiletduck posted:

Are these the ones that are like a cyberpunk XCOM?

Yeah.

edit: Also to be 100% clear, I meant no storyline connections so feel free to jump into any of the three in any order. That being said they do get mechanically better with each successive campaign, like companions in Returns being basically static whereas in Dragonfall you can customize them as you progress, so if that matters I guess go in release order.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 27, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Combat isn’t as deep as xcom, but I’ve never felt ratfucked by Shadowrun’s RNG either. So it’s impossible to say whether it’s bad or not.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Combat might not be as deep as XCom, but XCom doesn't have a mission where you're tasked to vandalize some corporate office to gently caress up its feng shui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The shadowrun games loving own, but if you've never played them I recommend looking up how to port the shadowrun returns campaign to dragonfalls engine. Less buggy, has some changes to gameplay that will keep it in line with dragonfall and Hong Kong