Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lollll
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1296663967595560960?s=20

https://twitter.com/IllusiveExplore/status/1296694512480407560?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

I've been thinking the last few days, I find it really amusing that early on, Bernie's age was one of the various things held against him... and now, the democrats are pushing a guy a year younger, and openly discussing / acknowledging he may not make it the entire first term. Like everyone seems to be totally fine that the democrats are electing someone whose condition is very obviously declining in front of our eyes, and who they fully understand will probably drop dead / step down before his first four years are up, and that the VP pick will end up taking over. This is just something they're cool with. Instead of picking a candidate who may actually survive all four years, we just absolutely must have Joe Biden first for a little while. Joe is just that valuable, that critical, that even if he only survives 20 minutes after swearing his oath of office, drat it, we need that guy in particular.

The Democrats really wanted Kamala from the get-go, it seems to me. Biden getting the nom was basically the best thing they could have hoped for, because now the party can just pick the next "real" President by having Joe "choose" them for VP.

It's brilliant, really. Just like collapsing the centrist lanes behind Biden on Super Tuesday.

Dirty, hypocritical, and oligarchic, sure, but brilliant maneuvering all the same.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

This was another reason I really thought ratboy was going to be it. If age is such a problem, he was an obvious choice, and I remember a lot of his marketing seemed to push him as a young rising star. It seemed like an intentional counter to the age discussion.

and then it was Joe, lmao

You can't win the Democratic primary with 0% of black voters supporting you, Pete never had a true path

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

lol everything is so dumb

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Marx Was A Lib posted:

The Democrats really wanted Kamala from the get-go, it seems to me. Biden getting the nom was basically the best thing they could have hoped for, because now the party can just pick the next "real" President by having Joe "choose" them for VP.

It's brilliant, really. Just like collapsing the centrist lanes behind Biden on Super Tuesday.

Dirty, hypocritical, and oligarchic, sure, but brilliant maneuvering all the same.

Yeah, that makes sense and I agree. I guess I'm just thinking about how unprecedented this all feels, and that the voters are going along with it. Though they've demonstrated that they'll follow any command their democrat leaders give them, and believe any version of reality told to them, I guess.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

WampaLord posted:

You can't win the Democratic primary with 0% of black voters supporting you, Pete never had a true path

Yeah, true. And with Joe, you're guaranteed 100% of the black vote, since anyone who doesn't vote for you can't be black. It's genius!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Don't watch this loving ghoul ramble through utterly meaningless platitudes, but seriously look at this thumbnail and tell me this isn't a skin suit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL_yxwcUMYI

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

silicone thrills posted:

When they started talking about bernie being too old early on, I thought the party was gonna steer hard for buttigieg or kopmala. Then they pulled out all the stops for Biden

Kamala was their first choice. She ate poo poo in the primaries and in the polling despite all the media fluff.
Same with Pete and Klob.

Biden was absolutely their last resort, when they had him as the centerpiece of Centrist Voltron.

Why do you think Kamala was his appointed VP pick? Because one way or the other, nobody expects Biden to make it 4 years. Either he dies, or goes senile enough that they have to remove him, or they pick #MeToo up out of the ditch they left it buried in to get him the nomination in the first place and force him to step down in light of "new and credible" evidence that they were brushing under the rug back in March.

Regardless of how he leaves office, the plan was always to backdoor Kamala in since she was the one they wanted to begin with.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, that makes sense and I agree. I guess I'm just thinking about how unprecedented this all feels, and that the voters are going along with it. Though they've demonstrated that they'll follow any command their democrat leaders give them, and believe any version of reality told to them, I guess.

This is why most of the country just doesn't vote at all. Ever.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Bust Rodd posted:

Don't watch this loving ghoul ramble through utterly meaningless platitudes, but seriously look at this thumbnail and tell me this isn't a skin suit

I'm pretty sure that was a deepfake.

So yeah. A skin suit

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Just like leftists and young people. Don't lift a finger to even try attracting these voting blocs to your coalition and then use their apathy as a pretext for why reaching out to them in the future is pointless because "they don't vote".

Besides...they've got to reach out to those truly important Dem demographics, like temporarily embarrassed 2004 neocons and suburban Panera moms.

The sad thing is that the defininiton of "young people" gets broader and broader every election. I'm 40 years old. People in my age cohort overwhelmingly support much, much, more progressive policies than the Dem establishment and we all are getting older and not much more conservative every year. So every election the Dems need to try to cajol / threaten a larger segment of the voters to support the pick that holds none of their values but that the party thinks that John Kasich and Mitt Romney might vote for.

The only real hope is that by the time I'm 65 or so medicare for all / green new deal will finally be on the platform because everyone who didn't support it is dead, but probably by that point the entire Dem party is going to be non-Qanon "fically responsible" republicans.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

the_steve posted:

Kamala was their first choice. She ate poo poo in the primaries and in the polling despite all the media fluff.
Same with Pete and Klob.

Biden was absolutely their last resort, when they had him as the centerpiece of Centrist Voltron.

Why do you think Kamala was his appointed VP pick? Because one way or the other, nobody expects Biden to make it 4 years. Either he dies, or goes senile enough that they have to remove him, or they pick #MeToo up out of the ditch they left it buried in to get him the nomination in the first place and force him to step down in light of "new and credible" evidence that they were brushing under the rug back in March.

Regardless of how he leaves office, the plan was always to backdoor Kamala in since she was the one they wanted to begin with.

Yup, the Martha's Vineyard meeting with Hillary and her top donors convinced me of this a long time ago.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Bust Rodd posted:

that is genuinely creepy lol

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Again, every criticism of bernie sanders was made in bad faith and it does not matter that Joe Biden is literally everything they accused bernie of being.

Twitter randos were just going along with it but party leaders and the media knew what they were doing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WampaLord posted:

Yup, the Martha's Vineyard meeting with Hillary and her top donors convinced me of this a long time ago.

at the end of the day it didn’t really matter who got the nomination as long as it wasn’t someone who was going to move the party left in any meaningful way

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

at the end of the day it didn’t really matter who got the nomination as long as it wasn’t someone who was going to move the party left in any meaningful way

While this is true, it's also true that there are still inter-party rivalries trying to make sure their side wins out after the left has been crushed. Kamala is the avatar of the Hillary wing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Acelerion posted:

Again, every criticism of bernie sanders was made in bad faith and it does not matter that Joe Biden is literally everything they accused bernie of being.

Twitter randos were just going along with it but party leaders and the media knew what they were doing.

This is why, as disappointed as I am in him, I really don't want to hold it against Bernie.
In 2016, he gave Hillary a run for her money despite having a literally half-assed campaign that he had to make up as he went because he didn't think he was going to be more than a protest candidate.
And this year, it took the combined DNC and DNC-friendly media apparatus and at least half of the Republican party pulling out every loving stop to force Biden through over him.

The Hillary Wing of the party never got to do more than scapegoat Nader, but Bernie is right there for them to punish for daring to run against them and they're clearly making the most of it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the new thread title is funny and I'm a Californian who wants nothing to do with Harris so NO JOEin' strong here

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WampaLord posted:

While this is true, it's also true that there are still inter-party rivalries trying to make sure their side wins out after the left has been crushed. Kamala is the avatar of the Hillary wing.

yeah that’s true; the obama disciples and the clinton stans seems to have aggressively marked out their turf despite believing in more or less the same watered down keynesian neoliberal horseshit

it’s just a bunch of power struggles to pilot the husk of the democratic party

although i will say that someone either in hillary’s camp or the dnc realized how loving abhorrent hillary clinton is to anyone not in the party already and as such she’s been mostly invisible since saying nobody wants to work with bernie so y’know, growth?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah that’s true; the obama disciples and the clinton stans seems to have aggressively marked out their turf despite believing in more or less the same watered down keynesian neoliberal horseshit

although i will say that someone either in hillary’s camp or the dnc realized how loving abhorrent hillary clinton is to anyone not in the party already and as such she’s been mostly invisible since saying nobody wants to work with bernie so y’know, growth?

didn't her and billiam speak at the dnc?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

she gets to be the string puller now

comedy option: biden dies, kamala appoints hillary as VP, kamala resigns

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Obi-Wan and the rest of the jedi were blind, feckless liberals who shepherded in the fascist regime, checks out.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
boy howdy, is it ever a great day to tell joe biden to go gently caress himself!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/1296650598591483905?s=19

Someone get this lady a NoJoe tag

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Marx Was A Lib posted:

didn't her and billiam speak at the dnc?

oh did they? i wouldn’t know, i didn’t watch it tbh, didn’t feel like checking out the world’s most ironic victory lap

at any rate the democrats will have to do something about their catastrophic enthusiasm gap at some point if they actually want to win, which to be clear they absolutely do not unless it’s on their terms

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the democrats absolutely want to win the election

they just don't define "winning" the election the way most people do

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I thought maybe I'd have to change something here but no they're very onboard just proving a joke i made offhand one day right.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Excelzior posted:

They won the moment Bernie was forced out. That was all that mattered to them.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

lol loving hell, this is the level of cognitive dissonance it takes to crack ping a celebrity with a financial interest in covering up a crime she has deeply personal feelings about for good reason, brutal

hope she never forgets it, but doubt it'll last

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Code Jockey posted:

I've been thinking the last few days, I find it really amusing that early on, Bernie's age was one of the various things held against him... and now, the democrats are pushing a guy a year younger, and openly discussing / acknowledging he may not make it the entire first term. Like everyone seems to be totally fine that the democrats are electing someone whose condition is very obviously declining in front of our eyes, and who they fully understand will probably drop dead / step down before his first four years are up, and that the VP pick will end up taking over. This is just something they're cool with. Instead of picking a candidate who may actually survive all four years, we just absolutely must have Joe Biden first for a little while. Joe is just that valuable, that critical, that even if he only survives 20 minutes after swearing his oath of office, drat it, we need that guy in particular.

a lot of political attacks are projection of a candidates own weakness. biden was the only candidate where age was clearly a problem. similarly, the attacks on bernie's character that he's a grumpy and angry old man that shouts are 100% projection, since its biden who has the angry outbursts and repeatedly yells at people who ask him basic questions. and like everyone else has been saying for a year, the plan was always for kamala to win or for biden to win for her and then step aside

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Just like leftists and young people. Don't lift a finger to even try attracting these voting blocs to your coalition and then use their apathy as a pretext for why reaching out to them in the future is pointless because "they don't vote".

You can avoid this by voting Green

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

taqueso posted:

i realized if joe wins, at some point we are going to hear hillary joking about how joe had it easy, basically just dropped in an alley-oop from her

he wont and then the excuse of sexism being a factor will go away... oh wait kamala

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

WampaLord posted:

I will continue to not vote for Joe Biden despite pathetic attempts by the corrupt D&D mods to silence my NoJoe spirit

:patriot:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Excelzior posted:

Priority one was to stop Bernie at all costs, but I do think they are genuinely huffing their own farts about Biden being a slam dunk win. The vast majority of the DNC's powerbase are old as loving dirt career politicians, and their internal strategists are all lanyard folks who haven't experienced the world outside of the fancy part of DC since they got their gig. I don't think they're trying to throw the election, I think they're genuinely convinced that there's the untapped block of never-trump independents and republicans, and they're convinced that these are the people to target because the liberals and the left will always vote for them, particularly now since of course we are all in agreement that Orange Man is an existential threat. It also doesn't hurt that this means pulling the party platform center-right, which is where the DNC's most powerful elite want the party to ultimately sit.

The problem of course is that "independents" are just temporarily embarrassed Republicans who have consistently proven they will pull the lever for the R candidate even after hemming and hawing for the entire election, and trying to grab R voters is dumb because Trump has like a 90% approval with them. So the Cop & Feel ticket has done nothing so far but alienate the youth vote, the leftist vote, and a huge segment of the minority vote, all blocs the D's absolutely need to turn out in full force to win. Also the process can never fail, only be failed, so when this inevitably doesn't work again it's going to be the fault of Bernie/The Squad/young voters/leftists who didn't unify behind Biden.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What a disgrace that the youth didn't turn out to vote for us, and after all these decades of us never supporting their interests in even a token manner, and treating them with open contempt.

A cruel betrayal.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

gently caress Joe Biden and anyone who votes for him.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sydin posted:

temporarily embarrassed Republicans

I mostly agree with your comment but I wanted to highlight this slam dunk description of what, it turns out, is the DNC's target demographic

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Marx Was A Lib posted:

You'd think if this was their plan that they would have Joe promise something people actually want. Promising something and then not doing it is the Dems' bread and butter. Yet, they're incapable of promising any positive change for Americans.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sydin posted:

Priority one was to stop Bernie at all costs, but I do think they are genuinely huffing their own farts about Biden being a slam dunk win. The vast majority of the DNC's powerbase are old as loving dirt career politicians, and their internal strategists are all lanyard folks who haven't experienced the world outside of the fancy part of DC since they got their gig. I don't think they're trying to throw the election, I think they're genuinely convinced that there's the untapped block of never-trump independents and republicans, and they're convinced that these are the people to target because the liberals and the left will always vote for them, particularly now since of course we are all in agreement that Orange Man is an existential threat. It also doesn't hurt that this means pulling the party platform center-right, which is where the DNC's most powerful elite want the party to ultimately sit.

The problem of course is that "independents" are just temporarily embarrassed Republicans who have consistently proven they will pull the lever for the R candidate even after hemming and hawing for the entire election, and trying to grab R voters is dumb because Trump has like a 90% approval with them. So the Cop & Feel ticket has done nothing so far but alienate the youth vote, the leftist vote, and a huge segment of the minority vote, all blocs the D's absolutely need to turn out in full force to win. Also the process can never fail, only be failed, so when this inevitably doesn't work again it's going to be the fault of Bernie/The Squad/young voters/leftists who didn't unify behind Biden.

The absolute best part is that no matter how many times they drive away the people who should be their base and blame them for losses because they didn't shut up and vote for Generic Republican (D), they'll continue to assume we'll show up and blindly vote Dem in the future, so there's no need for outreach. There's absolutely no indication that they'll ever consider that maybe they need to do something to get their base to turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Brownhat posted:

You'd think if this was their plan that they would have Joe promise something people actually want. Promising something and then not doing it is the Dems' bread and butter. Yet, they're incapable of promising any positive change for Americans.

they've also convinced themselves that Not Trump is the winning platform this time around, too.