Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

actionjackson posted:

I have a great local record store down the street that gives really good trade-in value for records so I'm pretty fortunate. I brought in five records that I paid no more than $70 for total and they gave me $50 exchange credit.

Another question, I have a few records where it won't reach the end, i.e. it just kind of gets stuck in that ending region (whatever it's called) despite cleaning it and such as much as I can. Is this sometimes just a permanent defect of the record that can't be fixed?

Looking at your video, the needle never gets into the runout groove. It's not impossible for records to end on a lock groove, but you would obviously know. So it's odd that they're doing a silent locked groove, but it's possible that's what they did because???

Granted, I had one record that did that. Except it had a bonus track that you accessed by moving the needle to the end of the record and it would play from the center out.

A pretty hidden song if I have to say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Hello. I am thinking of getting a turntable.

My current music habits involve listening to free version Spotify on my work laptop (which is a newer Macbook Pro so actually has pretty ok speakers) or a Bose bluetooth speaker. I like the idea of getting back into having something physical when it comes to music.

There are two options I'm debating. The first is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX310BT-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07PBLD4QN.

I would basically be using it with the bluetooth speaker we have, or I have Bose headphones I sometimes use. I'm obviously not a huge audiophile, so while better sound would be nice, but I don't think I need something more than like $200-250.

The other option is that my parents have their old turntable collecting dust in the basement. I don't know what it is at the moment, but, assuming it works, I can all but guarantee it's a nice one because they generally spring for higher quality stuff when it comes to that kind of thing. The problem is that I'd have to buy the works, with a receiver and probably speakers if there's not a receiver that can convert/send out a bluetooth signal. And, in that case, I'd lose some convenience since I couldn't, for example, bring a speaker upstairs with me.

I guess I'm leaning toward buying the Sony or similar for my specific use case, but it'd be nice to give an old one new life if I can. And again, I'm pretty sure it's a good turntable. So I guess I'm asking of the Sony one, or something comparable, is a decent buy or if there's a way I can (affordably) combine things with like a decent bluetooth receiver.

Edit: Like, would this do what I want? https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH190-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WFDR8D?tag=musicoomph-20

z0331 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 20, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I've got a couple records in the mid triple digits, but if I'm selling those, I'm probably in a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally bad place.

You wanna talk flipping at inflated prices, start getting into show posters. That's my actual nest egg for the true bad times. That signed Mr. Bungle reunion show poster (they only did 50 a show) gonna make me some cash one day.

(EDIT: I will not sell the Ween one that has The Residents on it. You're going to have to bury me with that fucker
DOUBLE EDIT: The one where The Residents are framed in ejaculating penises, which is incredibly on-brand)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 20, 2020

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

I've got a couple records in the mid triple digits, but if I'm selling those, I'm probably in a rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally bad place.

You wanna talk flipping at inflated prices, start getting into show posters. That's my actual nest egg for the true bad times. That signed Mr. Bungle reunion show poster (they only did 50 a show) gonna make me some cash one day.

(EDIT: I will not sell the Ween one that has The Residents on it. You're going to have to bury me with that fucker
DOUBLE EDIT: The one where The Residents are framed in ejaculating penises, which is incredibly on-brand)

Show posters, what a loving insane market that can be.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

here's a video, sorry it's so terrible and sideways for some reason

just look at 0-15s and then from 1 min on

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1296514426019995648

If there's nothing playing I'd say it's a defect - some albums seem to intentionally have a locked groove at the end of a side but it's always when music is playing - like Heavy Light by US Girls

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

z0331 posted:

My current music habits involve listening to free version Spotify on my work laptop (which is a newer Macbook Pro so actually has pretty ok speakers) or a Bose bluetooth speaker. I like the idea of getting back into having something physical when it comes to music.

There are two options I'm debating. The first is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX310BT-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07PBLD4QN.

I would basically be using it with the bluetooth speaker we have, or I have Bose headphones I sometimes use. I'm obviously not a huge audiophile, so while better sound would be nice, but I don't think I need something more than like $200-250.

The other option is that my parents have their old turntable collecting dust in the basement. I don't know what it is at the moment, but, assuming it works, I can all but guarantee it's a nice one because they generally spring for higher quality stuff when it comes to that kind of thing. The problem is that I'd have to buy the works, with a receiver and probably speakers if there's not a receiver that can convert/send out a bluetooth signal. And, in that case, I'd lose some convenience since I couldn't, for example, bring a speaker upstairs with me.

I guess I'm leaning toward buying the Sony or similar for my specific use case, but it'd be nice to give an old one new life if I can. And again, I'm pretty sure it's a good turntable. So I guess I'm asking of the Sony one, or something comparable, is a decent buy or if there's a way I can (affordably) combine things with like a decent bluetooth receiver.

Edit: Like, would this do what I want? https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH190-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B078WFDR8D?tag=musicoomph-20

If you’re looking to listen to records out of the Bluetooth speaker you already have I think any of those things are fine. I’ve never used a record player with built in Bluetooth so I might be full of poo poo. Just be aware that the Sony record player you linked likely doesn’t have a removable cartridge, so if you ever wanted to upgrade the cartridge you’d have to buy a new unit entirely. Probably not a sound quality issue if you’re just streaming to a (single?) Bluetooth speaker, though. It’s never going to be high end audio.

Depending on where you live and how patient you are you can probably score a pretty nice used receiver and speakers for less than the $200 bucks youd spend on that Sony, though, and then use your parents phonograph. Checkout craigslist and Facebook to see what’s out there before you make up your mind.

If you’re looking at receivers more than 5 years old and less than 30 years old, there’s a good chance it doesn’t have a phono stage which could be annoying for you.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 20, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

z0331 posted:

I know this is going to sound like a jokey or sarcastic answer but my advice to every single person who asks me about record collecting is this: Don't. Especially if you don't want to spend much money. It's very expensive and there's all kinds of minutiae involved in getting a proper setup and any kind of benefit in terms of the audio. If you don't care about that and just want to collect records for fun then that's even worse because everything is so outrageously over priced now that's it's not even worth it for that reason.

If this does no deter you then I would suggest the AT-LP120. It's pretty much the go-to record player now, I've been using one for over a decade and have had no issues. The current model is the AT-LP120X which is an upgrade from the LP120. I have no personally used the 120X but from what I've read it has everything that made the older model great while introducing a few nice upgrades. It's also right in your price range. You can probably get the LP-120 used for a decent price now that it's been replaced by the LP120X. It also has a built in pre-amp which is something you want unless you buy an amp/receiver with a phono amp. I would advise against belt drives because they can be a pain in the rear end for several reasons. If you choose to use your parent's old turntable make sure you read up in it. If it's belt drive that could present an issue if it hasn't been used in a long time as the belts do breakdown and basically melt eventually, especially if left sitting for years at a time. A new belt is cheap and you can clean the residue off of everything inside but it's a pain in the rear end. So be prepared for this. You'll also want to replace the stylus because an old stylus can damage the records. Especially if the cartridge isn't balanced and line up properly. And depending on the model cart it might be difficult or expensive to replace the new stylus. Maybe it won't be. You could also swap out the cart entirely, which once again can be expensive. Honestly unless it's a something really nice and/or you know someone very knowledgeable about these things I'd forget about it unless you know of a record shop or stereo dealer that knows how to setup turntables and what not.

This article gets into the features of the AT-LP120X and it's older counter part. Unless someone knows better than I do I will say that there is no better purchase in your price range. And honestly I know jack poo poo about using a turntable with a bluetooth speaker but something probably does that or allows you to do it, probably an external device. If convenience is your aim then don't bother with any of this.

caligulamprey posted:

I don't flip things because I think it's scummy and it's exactly what ruined this hobby (which as you all know is the common thread to 90% of my posts here). I sold a TMR Vault thing for like 100 bucks one time because I really needed the money and it was something lame I didn't care about. I have all kinds of poo poo I could sell for way more than I paid, but I would never part with any of those things. This is not an investment for me. This is a passion.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I only have like 30 records max and I got my turntable cheap off craigslist, if you don't buy a shitton of them it's relatively affordable. I listen to music all the time though so it's worthwhile for me - I would already buy all the other audio stuff needed anyway.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a few thousand records but I got them all for $1

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Barry posted:

https://store.tompetty.com/

Finally, a Wildflowers reissue! I'm guessing the residuals are starting to dry up and his family has bills to pay.

Really surprised the base 3LP version is "only" $40.

That's less than the bootleg the local record shop was trying to sell me pre covid.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's on Amazon with Prime too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HEY EVERYBODY.

Did anyone pre-order the Christeene Basura picture disc and if so did you get a shipping notification recently from a label called Mud Guts? I just got an email from them and that's the only thing I can think of because I haven't ordered anything.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I did not, but one has to assume with a name like Mud Guts.

I've got a record scheduled to hit my door tomorrow and I really wonder if it'll actually happen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I did not, but one has to assume with a name like Mud Guts.

I've got a record scheduled to hit my door tomorrow and I really wonder if it'll actually happen.

I misspelled it, it's "Mudd Guts". But anyway neither Christeene's Facebook page nor the label mentions the other. I wonder if they have something to do with Sacred Bones as they are both based out of Brooklyn. I bought a raffle ticket from them the other day. But I can't find a connection to each other aside from the location and I don't know why they'd mail me an actual ticket in the first place. :iiam:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I know this is going to sound like a jokey or sarcastic answer but my advice to every single person who asks me about record collecting is this: Don't.

I have literally hundreds of records which were never released any other way (besides illegal MP3s, I guess). If you just want a record player for Instagram then yeah gently caress off but otherwise go man go.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Toe Rag posted:

I have literally hundreds of records which were never released any other way (besides illegal MP3s, I guess). If you just want a record player for Instagram then yeah gently caress off but otherwise go man go.

It's pretty lame that discogs banned bootlegs or unofficial releases from the marketplace because there's a a lot of poo poo that you'll only ever get through stuff like that. There are all kinds of compilation albums that collected a bunch of rare or pretty much unknown 60s garage rock singles which you'll just never be able to get on there anymore. That's saying nothing of the decades worth of bootleg concerts and poo poo (which in fairness is more understandable). As far as I know it isn't actually illegal to buy or sell bootleg records. It's just illegal to make them or something. But anyway the main reason I advise against people getting into record collecting is that it's just a giant money hole and the poo poo takes up so much space. A lot of people who ask me about it just realize it's not worth it after I start explaining the kind of poo poo I was talking about or answering their questions. It was more accessible as a novelty ten years ago when you could just buy a bunch of decent poo poo for five bucks a pop or even for a dollar at a thrift store. But those days are long gone. I've probably said this before but I'm on the spectrum so my obsession with record collecting is probably at least somewhat tied into that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

z0331 posted:

Yes these are both fine.

This is good too and cheaper than the Sony = https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP60XUSB-BK-Automatic-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B07N3X7KPW/ref=psdc_3003611_t2_B002GYTPAE

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

CPL593H posted:

I know this is going to sound like a jokey or sarcastic answer but my advice to every single person who asks me about record collecting is this: Don't. Especially if you don't want to spend much money. It's very expensive and there's all kinds of minutiae involved in getting a proper setup and any kind of benefit in terms of the audio. If you don't care about that and just want to collect records for fun then that's even worse because everything is so outrageously over priced now that's it's not even worth it for that reason.

I do appreciate the warning, but given my general music-listening habits, I'd be pretty surprised if I fell down too deep a rabbit hole with this. Case in point, I'm trying to make sure that if I do pull the trigger, it's on something that isn't going to set me back so much I really regret it if I stop using the stuff.

Anyway, I've been leaning toward the Sony for convenience and less stuff involved, but my in-laws might have some speakers lying around, so I might wait and see how much of a set-up we can get for free and decide from there. And good call on the Craigslist/Facebook. Not sure why I didn't think to look there.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
It would be nice to receive a new record on my door step today. There aren't any coming today that I'm aware of, but I've been ordering them with fairly reckless abandon for the past few months so there have been a few surprises here and there. I'm aware i've already said it, but sitting down with a fresh record and giving it a proper listen whilst enjoying the album art/inserts/whatever has been a decent substitute for live shows since this began.

When it comes to buying a TT for z0331 i think a good question to ask yourself is if you are a passive listener or active listener. How likely is it that your records and player are just going to collect dust because using spotify is a more convenient way to listen to music, and for the fact that you can skip around tracks easily to just listen to the ones you like?

I say do what you want, but I agree that if you are going to start listening to records you may as well check out your parents old TT and get yourself a proper receiver and speakers (on a budget as suggested) and that way you can listen to both records, and digital music in much nicer quality than you are currently experiencing.

I'm just rambling because work has this Friday feeling like a Monday.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Evil Bob posted:

I say do what you want, but I agree that if you are going to start listening to records you may as well check out your parents old TT and get yourself a proper receiver and speakers (on a budget as suggested) and that way you can listen to both records, and digital music in much nicer quality than you are currently experiencing.

I'm just rambling because work has this Friday feeling like a Monday.

I'm starting to think that's probably a good way to go. And you're exactly right as to the question of whether I'd really use it. That's kind of why I don't think I'd get in too much trouble in terms of collecting, because I think the number of records I'd actually want to buy and listen to all the way through often enough to justify everything is fairly small.

Now that I've opened the floodgates of browsing audio equipment, I'm also kind of debating something like an Audio Pro multiroom system. It seems like it could be a decent way to do everything, with a turntable connected but also the ability to stream stuff.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Barry posted:

https://store.tompetty.com/

Finally, a Wildflowers reissue! I'm guessing the residuals are starting to dry up and his family has bills to pay.

Really surprised the base 3LP version is "only" $40.

Ugh. One of my gails. I've always been curious as to why it took so long to re issue this one. Wonder if there were rights issues or they couldn't find the masters?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

z0331 posted:

I'm starting to think that's probably a good way to go. And you're exactly right as to the question of whether I'd really use it. That's kind of why I don't think I'd get in too much trouble in terms of collecting, because I think the number of records I'd actually want to buy and listen to all the way through often enough to justify everything is fairly small.

Now that I've opened the floodgates of browsing audio equipment, I'm also kind of debating something like an Audio Pro multiroom system. It seems like it could be a decent way to do everything, with a turntable connected but also the ability to stream stuff.

Used stereo receivers are pretty cheap and you can even find them in thrift stores for like 20 bucks. Though I don't know about going in a thrift store now or if they're even open in your area. But just look for something with a phono input. Even if it kinda sucks you can always upgrade later. The AT-LP120X can be plugged into all kinds of poo poo though because it has a preamp, but it has a USB port so it can be used with various modern devices. I would strongly recommend that over the Sony turntable. There's a reason the Audio Technica AT-LP120 has become ubiquitous. Now that said, take a look at what your parents have and google that poo poo because you might be unknowingly sitting on gold. If it's a Technics 1200 or pretty much anything that's a Thorens* you've got something really good.

*I'm sure Thorens made some shittier models but generally the name is a mark of quality and many of them are highly sought after. The Technics 1200 series was the basis for the AT-LP120 and is a better version of it. It's also highly sought after even though there are many of them out there. They were the industry standard for decades.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

I've got 1200's for my decks, but I use a Pro-ject Essential III as my listening TT. Are belt drives or direct drives usually preferred at the high end for listening equipment? Kinda noob question but I'm curious.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My dad's got a Thorens and when I was about to buy a turntable I even asked him if he had any sitting around but he said yeah, the Thorens, but that one was broken. From the way he describes it it's only one channel dropping out and I thought, how hard can that be to fix, but I wasn't gonna press the issue cause I have to assume he knows when something's broken, with the amount of music stuff he's got sitting around.

Which is a serious thing by the way, he doesn't even have that much actual music, nowhere near the roomfuls of Kallax you see folks on reddit post, but he's got a ton of turntables, cassette decks, CD and MiniDisc players in use, and even more in the basement in various states of working order, and what music he does have is pretty rock solid too. I'm gonna inherit some pretty amazing stuff one day and I know I'll have nowhere to put like 2/3 of it. Mixed feelings, y'all.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Evil Bob posted:

I've got 1200's for my decks, but I use a Pro-ject Essential III as my listening TT. Are belt drives or direct drives usually preferred at the high end for listening equipment? Kinda noob question but I'm curious.

if people are getting super anal about sound quality and not wanting anything else to get into the signal from the cart to speakers, they wont use a direct drive because the vibrations from the motor could get into the chain. That's why belt driven tables are pretty popular for audiophiles who are pristine about their setup. Personally i dont care that much and want to upgrade from my Pro Ject Debut III to a direct drive table in the nearish future.

I will also say though that the tech has gotten really good with direct drive tables that any sort of extra noise getting into the chain is probably not going to be a major issue anyways and the music will drown it out most of the time if its there at all.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Gonna quote myself from way back.

Moe_Rahn posted:

Skip all that poo poo and get into vintage audio equipment, so that you can search the NOS inventory of four different parts websites in the hopes of finding the correct color of knob for your goofy-rear end rotating ceramic cartridge from 1973!

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

dorium posted:

if people are getting super anal about sound quality and not wanting anything else to get into the signal from the cart to speakers, they wont use a direct drive because the vibrations from the motor could get into the chain. That's why belt driven tables are pretty popular for audiophiles who are pristine about their setup. Personally i dont care that much and want to upgrade from my Pro Ject Debut III to a direct drive table in the nearish future.

I will also say though that the tech has gotten really good with direct drive tables that any sort of extra noise getting into the chain is probably not going to be a major issue anyways and the music will drown it out most of the time if its there at all.

Yeah I'm nowhere near that level of anal about my set up, but the pro-ject is a nice looking TT for my living room.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Used stereo receivers are pretty cheap and you can even find them in thrift stores for like 20 bucks. Though I don't know about going in a thrift store now or if they're even open in your area. But just look for something with a phono input. Even if it kinda sucks you can always upgrade later. The AT-LP120X can be plugged into all kinds of poo poo though because it has a preamp, but it has a USB port so it can be used with various modern devices. I would strongly recommend that over the Sony turntable. There's a reason the Audio Technica AT-LP120 has become ubiquitous. Now that said, take a look at what your parents have and google that poo poo because you might be unknowingly sitting on gold. If it's a Technics 1200 or pretty much anything that's a Thorens* you've got something really good.

*I'm sure Thorens made some shittier models but generally the name is a mark of quality and many of them are highly sought after. The Technics 1200 series was the basis for the AT-LP120 and is a better version of it. It's also highly sought after even though there are many of them out there. They were the industry standard for decades.

Any of the major name consumer record players from the 70s are going to be pretty solid. Doesn’t need to be a 1200. Regular consumer Technics were well built machines that are frankly are a lot better built than that light plastic Sony deck (without some of the bells and whistles, but with some others). Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, even older Sony’s, probably (although I’ve never seen one). You can find Duals affordably sometimes also, but if it’s cheap it might have problems. Like you said, Thorens, AR, Etc are great but usually expensive too. Or broken.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Evil Bob posted:

It's something tin-eared baby boomers swear up and down they can hear the difference in. The logic there is that the motor in a direct drive turntable will put audible noise into the signal coming from your speakers. It's probably complete bullshit. I've noticed that belt drive turntables mostly come in two varieties. Low end crap that usually costs less than a hundred dollars or turntables that have four digit price tags and look like a modern art piece.

BigFactory posted:

Any of the major name consumer record players from the 70s are going to be pretty solid. Doesn’t need to be a 1200. Regular consumer Technics were well built machines that are frankly are a lot better built than that light plastic Sony deck (without some of the bells and whistles, but with some others). Kenwood, Pioneer, Sansui, even older Sony’s, probably (although I’ve never seen one). You can find Duals affordably sometimes also, but if it’s cheap it might have problems. Like you said, Thorens, AR, Etc are great but usually expensive too. Or broken.

Oh I know. I was just saying that if you've found anything like that you've hit pay dirt. But googling poo poo to see what you have is best because a lot of those companies put out lots of low end garbage that definitely doesn't hold up. I've probably said this before but a decent option if you want something solid (and old) to save money find one of the better record stores that sells old turntables that are setup by the people at the store. It use to be you could get good poo poo for a hundred bucks or less but I have no idea if that's true anymore. My default recommendation is just the AT-LP120 because you don't have to gently caress around with any of the headaches you might encounter when buying something used that a few decades old. I'm not saying there's a hundred percent chance of that but unless you're getting it from a record deal or someone who set it up you're looking at replacing a stylus at the very least. You also can't test something you've bought at a flea market or a yard sale. In either situation there is a trade off.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Evil Bob posted:

It would be nice to receive a new record on my door step today. There aren't any coming today that I'm aware of, but I've been ordering them with fairly reckless abandon for the past few months so there have been a few surprises here and there. I'm aware i've already said it, but sitting down with a fresh record and giving it a proper listen whilst enjoying the album art/inserts/whatever has been a decent substitute for live shows since this began.

I legit forgot this was coming and I spent a good 5 minutes wondering what record I’d ordered...

Behold ye Mangiones and despair

As much Brothers Mangione as u can stuff in a box for $20

And I also have another custom bag for my bag collection! I’m kind of nuts!

Gonna be a jazzy night, thank you dearly Turbinosamente :tipshat:

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
P jelly of all that Mangione.

Mangiowns.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I heard he's living somewhere in the Mega Lo Mart.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If I may bring attention to 1984's Disguise, featuring the track "Shirley Maclaine," featuring Shirley Maclaine rapping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJYscllifM8

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Gonna be a jazzy night, thank you dearly Turbinosamente :tipshat:

You're welcome! I was wondering if it arrived yet. Glad I did wrap them in the bag as well since I have no real use for it, though I can't tell if that bit is sarcasm or not.

As to the guy looking to get into records I'd definetly look in to what turntable your parents have and whether it would cost anything to get up and running. I lucked out by my Dad having a Dual 721 which is direct drive, self leveling and has auto start and return. But the Heathkit receiver didn't like getting jostled around and had to be fixed, I got pissed at the Shure Mark 3 cartridge and slapped an Ortofon Red into it partly because it's a pain to get those Shure cartridges now, and the auto start needs to be helped into place 90% of the time, which is something it's done since it was new apparently. YMMV, but worth a shot, especially since your parents can tell you if the machine has any quirks since they've owned it for 40 years.

And since I'm ranting I treat collecting records like retro video game collecting since they're very similar, even down to the expensive purpose built equipment. The poo poo you really love you'll want a physical copy of to play instead of only having an mp3 or rom on your computer. And although the deals aren't as prevalent in either hobby anymore it's still fun to go on the hunt at flea markets, stores, and garage sales. I've also given up on buying anything to flip as I apparently am a bad speculator, and at that point it becomes a business, not a fun hobby. Just buy what you like at a price you feel comfortable paying. Periodically clean out your mistakes too, which is what I'm currently doing with retro games. If they turn out to be worth more than what you paid then that's great!

Bad Edit: poo poo the album Disguise was on the discount jazz shelf and I didn't buy it :negative:

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 22, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CPL593H posted:

I heard he's living somewhere in the Mega Lo Mart.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found a nice original Zeppelin III without a mark on the disc for $25 yesterday. Probably about what it's worth, but I never see them around and I didn't have to pay shipping so I'm considering it a win.

I actually didn't know it had a die cut gimmick.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Today I listened to many many albums while I cleaned out the basement. Everything from Judas Priest (awesome) to Steppenwolf (disappointing actually) to even some of my own Chuck Mangione records (who still sounds like Eastman School of Music brand jazz wank to me) to Uriah Heep (which was fine). But there's nothing quite like an awful electronic record:

Really makes you appreciate the Mort Garsons and Yellow Magic Orchestras of the world. It's one from the early days of synthesizers and it falls into the trap some early synth stuff does which is they demo all the weird sounds it can do, but forget to make music with it. So you get musicians on "real" instruments with science fiction computer beeping over it. Or what sounds like a Casio demo loop to modern ears. Completely awful but I couldn't help smiling at the ridiculousness of it. Here's a random track, decide for yourself if I'm way off base or not.

So what did you guys listen to tonight?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Turbinosamente posted:

Today I listened to many many albums while I cleaned out the basement. Everything from Judas Priest (awesome) to Steppenwolf (disappointing actually) to even some of my own Chuck Mangione records (who still sounds like Eastman School of Music brand jazz wank to me) to Uriah Heep (which was fine). But there's nothing quite like an awful electronic record:

Really makes you appreciate the Mort Garsons and Yellow Magic Orchestras of the world. It's one from the early days of synthesizers and it falls into the trap some early synth stuff does which is they demo all the weird sounds it can do, but forget to make music with it. So you get musicians on "real" instruments with science fiction computer beeping over it. Or what sounds like a Casio demo loop to modern ears. Completely awful but I couldn't help smiling at the ridiculousness of it. Here's a random track, decide for yourself if I'm way off base or not.

That type of stuff kills me. I buy it for $1-3, listen to it once, and then it takes up space. But I can’t resist it.

My copy of the new Microphones record came today. Listened to it 3 times in a row while drinking Negronis. Good times.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asnorban posted:

That type of stuff kills me. I buy it for $1-3, listen to it once, and then it takes up space. But I can’t resist it.

My copy of the new Microphones record came today. Listened to it 3 times in a row while drinking Negronis. Good times.

Exactly it was the big giant MOOG at the top that got me, how could I not buy it? Also I nearly forgot I also listened to a Mike Post album which I bought entirely for this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8V5sRVXGk. The rest of the album was good but I gotta have that Rockford Files, it's up there with Believe it or Not for good TV intro music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I love this album. I don't know for sure but I think the wave of these things on the late 60s/early 70s had to have been because of the success of Switched on Bach. But nobody stopped to think that that album was popular because Wendy Carlos actually knew what she was doing and mastered the instrument before most people were even putting their hands on it. Dick Hyman's Moog albums are a fun piece of kitsch. They're directly parodied on that new H. Jon Benjamin album someone posted here earlier.

(Why yes, I do have this album and the one he did after it.)