Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LtStorm posted:

So we just need to criminalize joblessness and this problem will be solved. :thunk:

We’ve already criminalized homelessness, which does the exact same thing without arresting any unemployed rich people on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Unfortunately the visitor's center and all the 100+ year old historic buildings in the park burnt down.

Park's gonna be closed for a while.

Eh, the most interesting building at HQ was the coin op showers by the trail camp, v. nice after hiking in from skyline. The giant ancient redwood cross section is for sure gone though :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You too???

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1296619305086353414?s=20

Thanks Nancy

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

It’s time to admit Nancy Pelosi is an extraordinarily talented politician.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

side_burned posted:

Isn't fire part of the redwoods life cycle?

Sort of. They don't need it, it just hurts them less than most things, so periodic fires improve their relative position in the forest and leads to them dominating.

Their bark never stops thickening and is fire-retardant+insulating. A 1000 year old tree will have over a foot thick bark. They also store more water in their live wood than most trees, so it has a higher heat capacity.

A hot enough or long enough fire can still heat up the inside of the trunk enough to kill it, or heat the ground enough to kill enough roots. Young trees will be definitely dead, odds of survival will go up with age. Pre-industrial wildfires were more frequent but less intense from lack of fuel (which will have burned up in the previous fire), they do better there than in modern less frequent more intense fires

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Y’all kinda got got by The Hill.

Pelosi still sucks.

The Hill sucks worse.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Foxfire_ posted:

Sort of. They don't need it, it just hurts them less than most things, so periodic fires improve their relative position in the forest and leads to them dominating.

Their bark never stops thickening and is fire-retardant+insulating. A 1000 year old tree will have over a foot thick bark. They also store more water in their live wood than most trees, so it has a higher heat capacity.

A hot enough or long enough fire can still heat up the inside of the trunk enough to kill it, or heat the ground enough to kill enough roots. Young trees will be definitely dead, odds of survival will go up with age. Pre-industrial wildfires were more frequent but less intense from lack of fuel (which will have burned up in the previous fire), they do better there than in modern less frequent more intense fires

So without PG&E around, what was starting most of those fires? Was it just random summer lightning storms?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

So without PG&E around, what was starting most of those fires? Was it just random summer lightning storms?

Mankind’s history of starting fires that burn down their own homes and their neighbors has been a tradition going on for millennia.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

climate change

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Mankind’s history of starting fires that burn down their own homes and their neighbors has been a tradition going on for millennia.
we joke, but people in the Americas pre-Columbus shaped the landscape extensively using fire

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Two days ago, I could see Mt Diablo with hd clarity and now it's invisible. Pretty cool tbh.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Lighting + human slash and burn agriculture that got out of hand. Think of how far the current wildfires would go before burning out if there were no firefighting, firebreaks from highways, or cleared areas from sprawl. (on evolutionary timescales, just lightning, people haven't been in the Americas that long)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

bawfuls posted:

we joke, but people in the Americas pre-Columbus shaped the landscape extensively using fire

Yep. Which makes the interpretive display in the Santa Barbara Mission self-guided tour that says, "The Missionaries taught the Chumash agriculture!" even more insulting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Lighting + human slash and burn agriculture that got out of hand. Think of how far the current wildfires would go before burning out if there were no firefighting, firebreaks from highways, or cleared areas from sprawl. (on evolutionary timescales, just lightning, people haven't been in the Americas that long)

Also when California had like 4000% more forest than it does now (or whatever, not bothering to look up the actual number), occasional huge burns would still be bordered by vast unburned tracts that provided seeds and wildlife along the borders of the burn to rapidly regrow and recover.

Now, major fires can threaten the entirety of our carved up, isolated remnant forests, and those forests can be difficult or impossible to naturally regenerate because there's nothing bordering them but pasture/cropland and urbanization.

e. also we've denuded our forests of their largest trees - and those are the trees most resistant to fires.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/1/150119-california-forests-shrinking-climate-drought-science/

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

CPColin posted:

Yep. Which makes the interpretive display in the Santa Barbara Mission self-guided tour that says, "The Missionaries taught the Chumash agriculture!" even more insulting.

Slash and burn agriculture is very old and has probably been reinvented many times. It has poor yield per cultivated area and is terrible for the environment, but it's labor-efficient and doesn't need metal tools or draft animals. "Burn it all down" is apparently a pretty common human answer to "how can I clear this area of trees/shrubs?"

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
More dry thunderstorms are in the NorCal forecast for Sunday-Tuesday, we are boned

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We need conscription to give people tip top public education to make up for their tip top public education

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Chomp8645 posted:

lmao that in the modern world the two problems "we have legions of unemployed and desperate young people" and "we have a severe shortage of people to do a critical, physical job" exist at the same time. Welp nope I'm afraid there is no solution. It's just impossible to fight fires if your penal battalions get too sick.

What needs to happen is the government should be paying native tribes to do controlled burns

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
UTILIZE. MORE. WOMEN. FELONS.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

climate change

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

What needs to happen is the government should be paying native tribes to do controlled burns

:jerkbag:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

They do this in northern California. It's not that "the ancient people's were so wise we forgot that" it's more that controlled burns were completely cut out of the toolkit for 20-30 years and are being reintegrated into the options.

It's an uphill battle though and the reason you see it in northern California and not southern California is that people in the suburbs and more densly populated areas complaining about controlled burns smoke is what got that practice cancelled in the first place.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If I were supreme dictator of California, I would set up a Army Reserve-esque program but for wildfire control. I expect you could get a decent size volunteer force to call up for digging. My understanding is that it isn't technically difficult, just labor intensive and hard work. Basically the same as the current prison labor way, but pulled from general population instead. You want to be able to surge a big labor force with modest preexisting training, but mostly they can be doing other stuff.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
So I have a lot of friends who are journalists, graphic designers, performing arts, photographers, tutors, or friends with those, saying AB5 is severely hurting them because while it's designed to target Lyft/Uber and such, it's too vague and companies are scared of violating it.

Does anyone know more about that?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

El Mero Mero posted:

They do this in northern California. It's not that "the ancient people's were so wise we forgot that" it's more that controlled burns were completely cut out of the toolkit for 20-30 years and are being reintegrated into the options.

It's an uphill battle though and the reason you see it in northern California and not southern California is that people in the suburbs and more densly populated areas complaining about controlled burns smoke is what got that practice cancelled in the first place.

I suggested paying tribes to do it for two reasons:
- for many tribes it's a part of their culture
- many tribes are deeply impoverished and this could be a way of helping the communities

I didn't know that about Southern California. Guess the price of no smoke for decades is your home going up in a conflagration. Hope it was worth it to those NIMBY idiots.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

So I have a lot of friends who are journalists, graphic designers, performing arts, photographers, tutors, or friends with those, saying AB5 is severely hurting them because while it's designed to target Lyft/Uber and such, it's too vague and companies are scared of violating it.

Yeah, I'm a freelance writer and AB5 completely killed my ability to pitch to publications in my own state. AB5 says that outlets that publish more than 35 pieces from a writer have to make them an employee. Workplaces find the idea of "automatic employee" so terrifying that now they won't hire a CA writer for even one piece. Not only did this crater my income and opportunities, it's a death blow to local journalism. AB5 is so terribly written I worry it's bad intentionally just so the entire idea of punishing employers for misclassifying employees as contractors can be struck down in court.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

It will, but when they are already violating the spirit of labor law.

Like a hypothetical tutoring company that claims it is just matching students and independent contractor tutors (who do nothing besides work for this one company) is going to be told that their tutors are actually employees and get employee labor protections. They're not doing anything fundamentally different from what Lyft/Uber are doing, they're just less visible.

Huego posted:

Yeah, I'm a freelance writer and AB5 completely killed my ability to pitch to publications in my own state. AB5 says that outlets that publish more than 35 pieces from a writer have to make them an employee. Workplaces find the idea of "automatic employee" so terrifying that now they won't hire a CA writer for even one piece. Not only did this crater my income and opportunities, it's a death blow to local journalism. AB5 is so terribly written I worry it's bad intentionally just so the entire idea of punishing employers for misclassifying employees as contractors can be struck down in court.

How many things would you publish for the same paper before? 35+ (per year?) seems like past the point where you're writing exclusively for one place and are actually an employee. Places being way overconservative about hiring any contractors doesn't seem like AB5's fault.

Lacrosse posted:

I suggested paying tribes to do it for two reasons:
- for many tribes it's a part of their culture
- many tribes are deeply impoverished and this could be a way of helping the communities

Native tribes don't really have any advantage. Doing a controlled burn in a safe way isn't a traditional cultural practice kind of thing, it's a modern large engineering project kind of thing. Controlled fire is not really something where you want to go with a low-bid inexperienced contractor since mistakes spiral out of control fast.

Their goals are also pretty different. Traditional agricultural burns are trying to kill everything in the area and reduce it to ash as a very inefficient fertilizer application. Wildfire reduction burns are trying to duplicate frequent lightning induced wildfires and clear understory without impacting large trees.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 21, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Foxfire_ posted:

If I were supreme dictator of California, I would set up a Army Reserve-esque program but for wildfire control. I expect you could get a decent size volunteer force to call up for digging. My understanding is that it isn't technically difficult, just labor intensive and hard work. Basically the same as the current prison labor way, but pulled from general population instead. You want to be able to surge a big labor force with modest preexisting training, but mostly they can be doing other stuff.

Good news! We have one! You even get paid (poorly)! https://ccc.ca.gov/

Yes, "HARD WORK, LOW PAY, MISERABLE CONDITIONS, AND MORE!" is the official website slogan.

There's even an old GiP thread about it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813346

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxfire_ posted:

How many things would you publish for the same paper before? 35+ (per year?) seems like past the point where you're writing exclusively for one place and are actually an employee. Places being way overconservative about hiring any contractors doesn't seem like AB5's fault.

I don't write for any papers at all. Newspapers never hired that many freelancers to begin with, and are a tiny percentage of the modern writing market. 35 blog posts, however, might not even be a full week's work at a lot of sites. FWIW I write longform magazine stuff, so it's rare I write 35 pieces total in a year, let alone for one publication. Places being "way overconservative" about complying with AB5 is absolutely AB5's fault when AB5 is overly broad and written without any consideration for how all the industries it lumped together actually work. I still strongly support CA fighting against the epidemic of employers misclassifying their workers, and I'll be happy to see Uber and Lyft die even though, as someone who doesn't own a car, it will have a large and immediate negative effect on my life.

Laws that govern the behavior of people/corporations aren't useful if they don't actually consider the behavior of people/organizations. It was not a surprise that corporations are ludicrously skittish about anything that would force them to take on employees and will happily shoot themselves in the foot to reduce headcount. Good legislation would want to improve that, not ignore it and trust unaffected people to defend it because Bad Things are Always Individual Moral Failings.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Yes, "HARD WORK, LOW PAY, MISERABLE CONDITIONS, AND MORE!" is the official website slogan.

There's even an old GiP thread about it! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813346

CCC is full time I think? I was thinking more a "1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year" type reserve deal.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

lol I thought you were joking before I clicked the link

Guess you can't say they didn't warn you

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Woo, warning from City of San Jose that there may be future warnings about the fires.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ardeem posted:

Woo, warning from City of San Jose that there may be future warnings about the fires.
Well, you can't say you weren't warned (about being warned).

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Huego posted:

I don't write for any papers at all. Newspapers never hired that many freelancers to begin with, and are a tiny percentage of the modern writing market. 35 blog posts, however, might not even be a full week's work at a lot of sites. FWIW I write longform magazine stuff, so it's rare I write 35 pieces total in a year, let alone for one publication. Places being "way overconservative" about complying with AB5 is absolutely AB5's fault when AB5 is overly broad and written without any consideration for how all the industries it lumped together actually work. I still strongly support CA fighting against the epidemic of employers misclassifying their workers, and I'll be happy to see Uber and Lyft die even though, as someone who doesn't own a car, it will have a large and immediate negative effect on my life.

It seems reasonably well written to me?

§2750.3 posted:

(x) Services provided by a freelance writer, editor, or newspaper cartoonist who does not provide content submissions to the putative employer more than 35 times per year. Items of content produced on a recurring basis related to a general topic shall be considered separate submissions for purposes of calculating the 35 times per year. For purposes of this clause, a “submission” is one or more items or forms of content by a freelance journalist that: (I) pertains to a specific event or topic; (II) is provided for in a contract that defines the scope of the work; (III) is accepted by the publication or company and published or posted for sale.

I read that as saying each individual "Content for $" execution is a submission, regardless of how many things are in it. Like "Deliver 50 blog posts for $500" is a single submission. If there's a standing contract where every week you deliver a new batch of 50 and they owe you $500 for it, you become an employee after 35 weeks/year, which seems legit. e.g. if someone sent in 25 blog posts and then quit, does the company owe them $250 or did they not fulfill the contract line item and are owed nothing?

And if 35 pieces is more than a year's worth of work in your particular industry, it seems like a magazine should be able to trivially conclude that they'll never have any risk of accidentally triggering AB5

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 21, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Foxfire_ posted:

And if 35 pieces is more than a year's worth of work in your particular industry, it seems like a magazine should be able to trivially conclude that they'll never have any risk of accidentally triggering AB5

I think what you're missing is "reasonably conclude and act rationally" isn't a thing that a lot of businesses do and in the meantime people are hosed for income and there's a pandemic.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foxfire_ posted:

It seems reasonably well written to me?

I read that as saying each individual "Content for $" execution is a submission, regardless of how many things are in it. Like "Deliver 50 blog posts for $500" is a single submission. If there's a standing contract where every week you deliver a new batch of 50 and they owe you $500 for it, you become an employee after 35 weeks/year, which seems legit. e.g. if someone sent in 25 blog posts and then quit, does the company owe them $250 or did they not fulfill the contract line item and are owed nothing?

That isn't at all how blogging pay arrangements work, much less other freelance writing and I don't see what the point of some thought experiment where you make up stuff about how you imagine an industry you don't work in runs to defend a law that doesn't affect you. I do work in the industry, I do know how it runs, I am affected,
and I don't find it useful or interesting to "trivially conclude" anything.

Jaxyon posted:

I think what you're missing is "reasonably conclude and act rationally" isn't a thing that a lot of businesses do and in the meantime people are hosed for income and there's a pandemic.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just in general, when a law turns out to have unintended consequences, posting "well it shouldn't" and dusting your hands is not a meaningful contribution to the conversation.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Never changing any labor law because 'what if businesses think it does something it clearly doesn't do' isn't really a workable system either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Huego posted:

That isn't at all how blogging pay arrangements work, much less other freelance writing and I don't see what the point of some thought experiment where you make up stuff about how you imagine an industry you don't work in runs to defend a law that doesn't affect you. I do work in the industry, I do know how it runs, I am affected, and I don't find it useful or interesting to "trivially conclude" anything.

If your job is "Make N blog posts per day for our website, you will be paid X per post, continue doing this indefinitely until we tell you to stop", you are actually an employee and AB5 is doing what it's supposed to