Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sab669 posted:

No I don't scrub them, I thought that was largely just for metal minis. I don't scrub my GW plastics.

I go pretty much as fast as I can - prime black with a little flow imporver, blast it with some air, empty the pot, mix up the grey + flow improver and put it on, hit it with some air from the airbrush, clean the pot, then hit it with some white ink (not stylenrez, I mispoke). Clean the pot, airbrush on some Vallejo Air colors, clean the pot, then pretty much just grab my brushes and dab on the wash.

I guess I gotta wait longer :(

Give it a day for primer to set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you might be able to get away with airbrushing on top of primer once it's surface dry if you're really in a hurry, but yeah even that is better left for another day. absolutely don't touch with a brush for 24 hours

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Once you're done airbrushing I like to airbrush a layer of matte varnish on anyways to protect all the airbrush layers and give me a good starting spot for for the brush work. A lot of my models end up with several layers of matte varnish over the course of my painting, it's a quick way to seal in a finished spot.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cinara posted:

Once you're done airbrushing I like to airbrush a layer of matte varnish on anyways to protect all the airbrush layers and give me a good starting spot for for the brush work. A lot of my models end up with several layers of matte varnish over the course of my painting, it's a quick way to seal in a finished spot.

I used to do this but I've recently switched over to satin for my intermediate coats; it was pointed out to me that matte varnish achieves its matte finish with a very fine rough texture, which can accumulate over time and lead to e.g. rough white coverage when applied over it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm only just starting to learn the power of varnishing unfinished models.

And lame @ waiting for more drying time :( Oh well!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
gently caress painting eyeballs forever. After avoiding it my entire life I finally gave it a try and.... It's fine I guess.

Edit-- ignore the hosed up Aquila and most everything else

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Anyone know of a paint close to this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Warlord purple maybe?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cat Face Joe posted:

Looks like a lighter P3 Sanguine base

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

nocturna witch purple although it might be a bit vibrant

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cat Face Joe posted:

Gal Vorbak Red from Citadel.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished Senor Skorpekh today:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Any pointers on rebuilding one of these? I got a busted one and the chain/ball is missing from the fist up.

I'm thinking to drill it out and glue in a bit of bent copper with sculpted green stuff over it, but to make the chain look good will be hard and may not be substantial enough to resist peeling off immediately at the first bit touch.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Appropriately enough: started a new project- Zarbag's Gitz!

edit: as an aside, learning to use Lahmian Medium has really been an interesting crash course in learning how to actually layer/highlight (not just drybrush the poo poo out of everything).

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 22, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Appropriately enough: started a new project- Zarbag's Gitz!

edit: as an aside, learning to use Lahmian Medium has really been an interesting crash course in learning how to actually layer/highlight (not just drybrush the poo poo out of everything).

I love this, its super clean. Whats your recipe for the green skin?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Warlord purple maybe?

This looks close.

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks like a lighter P3 Sanguine base

This seems good for shading what I'm after.

jesus WEP posted:

nocturna witch purple although it might be a bit vibrant

he'll yeah this brought up an entire set of purples which I'm absolutely buying

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Gal Vorbak Red from Citadel.

This looks like a winner.

Thanks all.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Does anyone else have issues with vallejo surface primer not adhering well to metal minis. I'll get decent coverage then see little specks of metal on raised points after I've painted.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

he'll yeah this brought up an entire set of purples which I'm absolutely buying
i have the nocturna purple set and fairy flesh set and they’re both great, gonna pick up the other two sets they do some day as well

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love this, its super clean. Whats your recipe for the green skin?
Thanks! The recipe is nothing special- waaagh flesh over black primer, shade generously with biel-tan green, then highlight with warboss thinned with lahmian medium, and again with skarsnik thinned with lahmian medium.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painting Archon and having a bad time. First time painting black armor and I think it shows.

I do like the sword though, which I made kind of a lightsaber instead of fire.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So what are the actual advantages to airbrushing? Is it just that you can basecoat a color a lot quicker, or is there more to it? Surely you can’t do fine details with an airbrush, so you still have to normally paint for those.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So what are the actual advantages to airbrushing? Is it just that you can basecoat a color a lot quicker, or is there more to it? Surely you can’t do fine details with an airbrush, so you still have to normally paint for those.

If you have a steady hand and a fine needle, you can do hair thin lines.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Gradients and blends are also trivially easy.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you can airbrush prime in any weather and it’s way easier to get a thin even layer of primer across your entire model. the caveat being it takes a fair bit longer than spraycanning a whole unit, and it needs to dry for a day instead of like half an hour

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It's a completely different skillset that unlocks an enormous number of techniques. It isn't just a custom spraycan.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

With an airbrush you can do super thin coats, fades, blends, and because the layers are so thin, you can stack many more layers without clogging up details.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Stencils also open up to you with an airbrush in a way that a regular brush isn’t nearly as good for. Which means suddenly you can do lots of fancy patterns and things much, much easier.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sab669 posted:

I go pretty much as fast as I can - prime black with a little flow imporver, blast it with some air, empty the pot, mix up the grey + flow improver and put it on, hit it with some air from the airbrush, clean the pot, then hit it with some white ink (not stylenrez, I mispoke). Clean the pot, airbrush on some Vallejo Air colors, clean the pot, then pretty much just grab my brushes and dab on the wash.

I guess I gotta wait longer :(

I think the label on the bottle says to let the primer cure for at least 12 hours. RTFM ;)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

gently caress painting eyeballs forever. After avoiding it my entire life I finally gave it a try and.... It's fine I guess.

Edit-- ignore the hosed up Aquila and most everything else

I think the eyes look fine. Nice job. My go-to for painting eyes is to paint the whole eye black, then dot in white on corners

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Hixson posted:

I think the eyes look fine. Nice job. My go-to for painting eyes is to paint the whole eye black, then dot in white on corners

I’ve heard this before and it’s never worked well for me. I’ve had some success with an off-white (like Ulthuan Gray) and then a black stripe down the middle though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished my boyz big shoota! This was a pain to build trying to get the ammo hand and the gun to properly line up, but I'm happy with the end result!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Outriders done!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You did a great job covering up those horrifying seams on the top

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat that green pops too

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

more like evil bunz

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

chippocrates posted:

Does anyone else have issues with vallejo surface primer not adhering well to metal minis. I'll get decent coverage then see little specks of metal on raised points after I've painted.

I've never had an issue, are you washing the mini beforehand? Lots of metal minis have a coating on it to protect it which you need to clean off before painting

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Eej posted:

You did a great job covering up those horrifying seams on the top

I have only built one and it was a nightmare but have seen people say its easier when you snip the pegs and rely more on glue.

Something I did discover for myself with the outriders is that its pretty easy to clip the leg/exhaust section from the cowling. makes painting subassemblies a little bit easier

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Misty Fog posted:

I've never had an issue, are you washing the mini beforehand? Lots of metal minis have a coating on it to protect it which you need to clean off before painting

Some of this is happening on metal minis that I've just stripped and scrubbed with IPA.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
My second airbrush attempt and my 2nd tank in the last 20 or so years (and this week).

I always wanted to do a traitor guard army but I hated brush painting vehicles, this was much more pleasant to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anything I need to know going into putting together an old Warhammer black coach?

I havent assembled and painted a metal model for ages