Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Build Divers Re Rise is really good.
the first half is a little dull but everything since ep 12 has been consistently fantastic, its really impressed me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The terrible English is kinda endearing but I hope it doesnt go past the first episode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spuckuk posted:

The terrible English is kinda endearing but I hope it doesnt go past the first episode

After the first 11 minutes, they just go "Everything from here will be translated into Japanese/English" depending on if it's dub or sub, and it's just normal.

E: Hey this show rocks.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 20, 2020

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
God of high school continues to be a very fun punch man show. All these people pulling out Persona's is very interesting too and makes for some wildly stylish fights. I'm here for it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

I'm enjoying Millionaire Detective a lot more than I thought I would, did not expect it to be as much of a goof, but the lost dog episode very much sold me.

I've only watched two episodes so far, and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it

"Extremely rich guy wants to play detective, good-honest-cop almost solves cases with diligent police work, rich guy then busts into the room and fights crime in the most assholish, wasteful and flashy manner possible"

Is... Is this an extremely scathing take on Batman? I'm kind of expecting rich guy to be the villain

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I love the gremlin energy Ruka brings to the table. The way she just fuckin' executed Kuri was ice-cold.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

I've only watched two episodes so far, and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it

"Extremely rich guy wants to play detective, good-honest-cop almost solves cases with diligent police work, rich guy then busts into the room and fights crime in the most assholish, wasteful and flashy manner possible"

Is... Is this an extremely scathing take on Batman? I'm kind of expecting rich guy to be the villain

I think you're taking a show with a jazzy soundtrack that carefully itemizes its obscene expenses at the end of each episode a little too seriously. It definitely seems to be "What if Bruce Wayne became a cop instead of a vigilante?" though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Coxswain Balls posted:

I love the gremlin energy Ruka brings to the table. The way she just fuckin' executed Kuri was ice-cold.

She is great.

The show definitely needed her to mix things up as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yo Great Pretender friggin rules.

E: Did a thread

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 22, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

Great Pretender
Wit Studio | Hiro Kaburagi | Ryota Kosawa | Action, Comedy, Drama | Original | Jun 2, 2020
Only BADs are our targets! Trick you! Deceive you! Cheat all fortunes of you! You can hear our stories in LA, Singapore, London, Shanghai and Tokyo, Why? Our "CON GAMEs" stage, is the whole WORLD! Edamura Makoto is supposedly Japan's greatest swindler. Together with his partner Kudo, they try to trick a Frenchman in Asakusa but unexpectedly get tricked instead. The Frenchman, whom they tried to swindle, turns out to be Laurent Thierry—a much higher-level "confidence man," in control of the mafia. Edamura is yet to find out what fate awaits him, after having engaged in the Frenchman's dirty jobs...!
PV
Thread

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I've rewatched the first season of failed romcom, I just wanted to say I was taken aback at how much Hikky sucks total poo poo. Like it seemed to only last the first few episodes until I got used to but that dude was miles more annoying and lovely than I had remembered. Did this show do the thing where the character grows or some poo poo and at the end of s2 you don't recognize the loser that started??!!??! I mean yeah that's the point, but I just like in my brain didn't recognize him, like he was drawn grosser. Maybe he actually was drawn grosser? That's kinda cool if so.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a completely different studio but yeah he does look more gremlin-ish in season one and it fits.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Rent-A-Girlfriend would be an amazing show if the dude wasn't the main character.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I'm watching rent a girlfriend now and it's pretty good? The protag is annoying but hoping the character moves on to being less annoying. It's quite funny.

Also watching railgun T. I'm surprised or maybe not that no one's mentioned it. This season has been really good! Why isn't every J.C.staff show animated this well. Also it's good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the combination of no one making a thread and the covid interruptions killed all the hype for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Uzaki-Chan continues to be thoroughly entertaining;

"Your wallet is already dead! :smuggo:".

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's a completely different studio but yeah he does look more gremlin-ish in season one and it fits.

lol I guess I hadn't noticed the first time around. The gremlin characters are much better.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This week's Railgun episode was great. Pretty much a stand battle but it was consistently hilarious and tense. I'm glad it looks like the entire season will be manga material rather than splitting 50/50ish with tv filler.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Well holy poo poo Great Pretender starts out with a bang. What a dope first episode, wild visuals, kicking music and rolling accent and language changes. I'm here for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

This week's Railgun episode was great. Pretty much a stand battle but it was consistently hilarious and tense. I'm glad it looks like the entire season will be manga material rather than splitting 50/50ish with tv filler.
What bothers me is that (spoilers for that episode and Index)they go out of their way to introduce a fairly neat (by Railgun standards) side character villain with some fun quirks and powers, not only don't kill her off when they totally could have but even bring her back with a rad voice modulating mask and killer look...only for her apparently to actually get killed offscreen anyway like immediately afterwards in Index. I wonder if that's something that might get retconned in the back of this season since that's been sort of a Railgun anime tradition.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is sad that the directly linked arc in Index III is so rushed as to be completely nonsensical.

e: like this conflict with some random mercenary sniper girl who crossed paths with our protagonists by sheer coincidence was definitely a lot better developed and more compelling than the wider arc as presented in Index III

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 24, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Index Anime Project has had pacing issues out the wazoo since back in S1. To compare:
  • Season 1 adapted 6 volumes
  • Season 2 adapted 7 volumes
  • Season 3 adapted 9 volumes
Every step of the way, the pacing was always out of loving whack. Every. Single. Season. Even with stuff that was excised and/or reshuffled. Like I know it's basically trashy shounen anime, but it could've been extremely well-executed trashy shounen anime. That's the saddest thing: The wasted potential.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best part about index is how touma ends up spraying out 3x his body mass in blood every arc and there's only a week between arcs since they all happen during a single summer. the anime would never actually convey that, like a hyperviolent 80's ova except inexplicably almost no one dies.

the worst part about index is everything except the silly blood hose thing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the best part about index is how touma ends up spraying out 3x his body mass in blood every arc and there's only a week between arcs since they all happen during a single summer. the anime would never actually convey that, like a hyperviolent 80's ova except inexplicably almost no one dies.

the worst part about index is everything except the silly blood hose thing.

The wort part about Index is that they ignore the super-cool science/esper bit of the setting with a lot of unique and interesting lore around it in exchange for boring and kind of generic fantasy stuff.

Coincidentally, the best part about Railgun is it does the opposite.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

AnoHito posted:

The wort part about Index is that they ignore the super-cool science/esper bit of the setting with a lot of unique and interesting lore around it in exchange for boring and kind of generic fantasy stuff.

also the animation/art quality in railgun is light years better than index or accelerator. i really don't understand the inconsistency.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tabletops posted:

also the animation/art quality in railgun is light years better than index or accelerator. i really don't understand the inconsistency.

railgun has a good director

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Animators would rather animate cute girls than shonen teens

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I dunno much about Raildex but the one Railgun song is very good, so that's something Railgun has going for it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Endorph posted:

Animators would rather animate cute girls than shonen teens

doesn't help that the railgun characters in general are alot more interesting

Waffleman_ posted:

I dunno much about Raildex but the one Railgun song is very good, so that's something Railgun has going for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuCB-3YavxA&list=PLQRd-BBmRNx_04BKlB8-JHgORsHnyG4tP

auto tag fucks up playlist links :(

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 25, 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first OP from season 2 has always been my favorite fripside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWITQJzbls

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

AnoHito posted:

The "science side" and the "magic side" parts of the setting are both kind of stupid, honestly. The former is based on physical/technological/mathematical concepts the author doesn't actually understand, the latter is based on religious/folkloric/historical/philosophical concepts the author doesn't actually understand. The magic side villains have dumber motivations, though (like that woman who hates all technology because her brother was killed in an amusement park accident).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the science side may be nonsense, but it is weird and creative nonsense.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nate RFB posted:

The first OP from season 2 has always been my favorite fripside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWITQJzbls

sister's noise is loving excellent.

Silver2195 posted:

The "science side" and the "magic side" parts of the setting are both kind of stupid, honestly. The former is based on physical/technological/mathematical concepts the author doesn't actually understand, the latter is based on religious/folkloric/historical/philosophical concepts the author doesn't actually understand. The magic side villains have dumber motivations, though (like that woman who hates all technology because her brother was killed in an amusement park accident).

all of the magic side people look like final fantasy characters and antagonists.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The magic side villains have dumber motivations, though (like that woman who hates all technology because her brother was killed in an amusement park accident).
That was my favourite part of Index. Just the perfect punchline to each villain having a stupider motivation than the last

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Magic Side isn't particularly fun in the OT novels. By NT, you've got GREMLIN, who are pretty memorable and fun. There's a wizard named Mjolnir whose girlfriend transformed her into a hammer to serve as a weapon for their magic conspiracy, and they hang out with some dude who calls himself the Almighty Thor in order to avoid copyright claims.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I found the teleporting girl in Railgun very annoying, and I've given up watching the first season a few times because of her.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
judgelight is the best railgun OP

which is great because it also has the best beat saber map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZr1e_vJko

Nitrousoxide posted:

I found the teleporting girl in Railgun very annoying, and I've given up watching the first season a few times because of her.

she's often annoying in a really funny way imo, but i get my tastes are really weird lol

railgun is all about saten tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

kuroko is a bit obnoxious early on but she grows into herself imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think she's a lot worse in the tv original episodes also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think she's a lot worse in the tv original episodes also
season 1's filler at least, yeah

ironically some of the filler in index does pretty good work with her