Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Logged into vSphere with administrator@vsphere.local sorry.
vsphere was where the problem was, not the DC

Ah makes sense sorry, I was just real confused for a sec because I was thinking you were logging into the DC itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
gently caress me I do not miss doing bottom tier desktop support.

I've been on the phone for 2 hours just trying to get this poor soul to allow me some sort of remote connection; teamviewer, quick assist, loving anything for the love of god PLEASE.
This is like "I don't know what a start menu, or the internet, or a folder" level support. Fuckkkkkkkk.
And it's all because I know for a fact that they're not entering the vpn address correctly.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress me I do not miss doing bottom tier desktop support.

I've been on the phone for 2 hours just trying to get this poor soul to allow me some sort of remote connection; teamviewer, quick assist, loving anything for the love of god PLEASE.
This is like "I don't know what a start menu, or the internet, or a folder" level support. Fuckkkkkkkk.
And it's all because I know for a fact that they're not entering the vpn address correctly.

Sigh, this reminds me about working with armored car companies which have to automatically send us files with ATM and deposits info via [REDACTED CHEAPO SYNC SOFTWARE]. Their "server" which I suspect is an Optiplex GX270 with swollen capacitors because its up and down like a whore's underwear, keeps dropping the connection and we have to delete and recreate the channel. I call them because email is NOT working.

Me: ok, so, enter the following IP and port in the application to recreate the channel.

Monkian: hurh?

Me: ok, so no, how about you click on the link I sent you so you recreate and authenticate the channel automatically.

Monkian: no email.

Me: Webex it is...

Monkian: *grunt* What is werbex?

WTF Brinks, did you grab your security guard and ask them to HANDLE this?!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We eventually successful. It took a gently caress long time but I walked him through connecting to his phone hotspot (because he has a 10mbps internet) then following a link to Teamviewer, downloading and running the installer, then reading off the numbers and password to me.
That part only took like 3 hours.

Once connected I opened the vpn software and told him to type in the address letter for letter as I read it off to him and he still hosed it up like 6 times.
I gave up and typed it myself.

I mean being completely technologically illiterate is one thing, but not being able to hear letters, then identify them on a keyboard in front of you, then touch each one of those letters in the order that they are read to you is a whole other frustrating problem.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Guessing phonetic alphabets are too hard for him, eh?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We eventually successful. It took a gently caress long time but I walked him through connecting to his phone hotspot (because he has a 10mbps internet) then following a link to Teamviewer, downloading and running the installer, then reading off the numbers and password to me.
That part only took like 3 hours.

Once connected I opened the vpn software and told him to type in the address letter for letter as I read it off to him and he still hosed it up like 6 times.
I gave up and typed it myself.

I mean being completely technologically illiterate is one thing, but not being able to hear letters, then identify them on a keyboard in front of you, then touch each one of those letters in the order that they are read to you is a whole other frustrating problem.

I had one person who no matter how many times you said “vpn.company.com” or emailed the text to him to copy paste, he still typed “company.com” into anyconnect lol.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone heard of SADA? They have a job posting in my area for a cloud engineer, but it says "Trainee" despite requiring either a GCP cert or getting one in the first 45 days and a decent amount of experience, so I'm not sure if they're just calling it a trainee position in hopes of getting someone who really wants a move (like me) to take way below market pay. Never heard of the company before.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Are A+/Net+ valuable for the hiring process to get into data analytics, or should I look straight ahead to MS Azure Data Science Associate?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone heard of SADA? They have a job posting in my area for a cloud engineer, but it says "Trainee" despite requiring either a GCP cert or getting one in the first 45 days and a decent amount of experience, so I'm not sure if they're just calling it a trainee position in hopes of getting someone who really wants a move (like me) to take way below market pay. Never heard of the company before.

Being a "trainee" is without a doubt a job that is trying to exploit you. Its a place that is wanting college age workers to pay them next to nothing with crazy hours.

A quick googling of them leads me to believe that assessment is pretty spot on.

NovaLion posted:

Are A+/Net+ valuable for the hiring process to get into data analytics, or should I look straight ahead to MS Azure Data Science Associate?

Data analytics isn't something you get a cert for. To be honest all the data analytics people I know are lifelong academics. I also get the impression its a smaller community than a lot of the other parts of our industry.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 21, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, maybe they astroturfed the Glassdoor reviews. I'd say it's also possible the employees don't know what a good work environment looks like but college aged kids also tend to still believe the myth of the 40 hour work week and businesses taking care of you so I'd think that would come up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bonzo posted:

If any of your C-Levels are asking about BlackBerrys today

https://mashable.com/article/blackberry-5g-keyboard-2021/

I don't see an incredibly stupid, badly designed, under-tested pointing device. This might not suck, and there's a reasonable chance that the physical keyboard plus touchscreen combo proves popular.

Assuming it is a touchscreen, the article doesn't say.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We contract some GCP billing work to them and I’ve never heard any complaints. Beyond that, not a clue, sorry.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I think I'll apply and ask some work-life balance questions if I get an interview, worst case I laugh as they offer $20k under market.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sounds like you need to worry less about finding out who is doing it and more about preventing anyone from being able to do it.

Yeah I agree but everyone recalls "the one time we tried to do security and an extreme edge case from a VIP derailed everything forever." So once again we find ourselves on the train careening down the track approaching the lever to pull that makes it either run over one person or fly off a cliff onto a dynamite factory and the train CEO goes well hold on we should really put some effort into finding out if the one guy we might run over is the one who could cure cancer

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Vice President posted:

Yeah I agree but everyone recalls "the one time we tried to do security and an extreme edge case from a VIP derailed everything forever." So once again we find ourselves on the train careening down the track approaching the lever to pull that makes it either run over one person or fly off a cliff onto a dynamite factory and the train CEO goes well hold on we should really put some effort into finding out if the one guy we might run over is the one who could cure cancer

I mean putting a plan together for how to do it is actually minimal effort.
If you don't get the sign off then you can just pretend that you wasted a whole day "preparing" it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm being migrated over to the GIS dept to fix up their infrastructure except I know jack poo poo about these products from ESRI for ArcGIS. The only thing I know is they want this thing to be HA and the part that has me confused about a best practice is the shared content folder for Portal servers and one of the datastores which is not a database has a big rear end F drive with 200GB of map poo poo. Most of the documentation I've been reading has been 10,000 ft level like, oh just setup two portal servers and give them a smb share, and they can't spare me a support account.

I was thinking about on our NAS to go with \\arcgis\ for the root folder and then having two subfolders one for the portal shared content and one for the datastore so \\arcgis\sharedcontent and \\arcgis\datastore1. Or should I do 2 smb shares to avoid being turbofucked later in some way as they want this thing to be HA as possible.

I would love any newbie videos/books/sites/blogs recommendations. Searching on google just keeps bringing me back to ESRI's content.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tetramin posted:

I had one person who no matter how many times you said “vpn.company.com” or emailed the text to him to copy paste, he still typed “company.com” into anyconnect lol.

This is definitely why I wish more software supported SRV records. It's so nice to be able to use the same base domain name for multiple services without needing to have some crazy mega-proxy setup connected to the A record.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

SRV is a great idea that most of the world seems to have looked at and shrugged.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Any of you guys doing some kind of out of band IPS for your cloud networks? We've been using Palo Alto's in a transit gateway architecture for AWS and GCP ever since I came onboard and built it, but centralized firewalling just feels very out of place with cloud workloads. We have instances in both clouds and GKE clusters in GCP, and everything uses our transit gateways for east-west /north communication. I currently don't have intra-VPC/intra-GKE inspection which the devs know, so some of them have started consolidating their services within single networks in order to get around security, or they build it in GKE (GCP was considered the dev playground for a long time and we have only recently started making groundwork on tightening security there)

Ideally what I'm thinking is traffic mirroring every instance to a NLB which feeds into Palos for IPS. If anything is more than an alert, we can action it with something like a socless playbook to generate a blocking outbound SG until security can review the incident. Sounds great in theory though, not sure if it would make sense in production.

There's also the other hangup that our transit gateways I am really the sole owner, if I got hit by a bus no one would know how to unwind this poo poo. We're using FRR instances to manage routing before the Palo's and avoid SNAT. It's such a fringe app that even with my detailed documentation they would struggle to support it.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 21, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wolrah posted:

This is definitely why I wish more software supported SRV records. It's so nice to be able to use the same base domain name for multiple services without needing to have some crazy mega-proxy setup connected to the A record.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

SRV is a great idea that most of the world seems to have looked at and shrugged.

DNS is scary and no one understands it past a very base level, I've worked with guys that have been in IT twice as long as me that don't understand how MX records work.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MF_James posted:

DNS is scary and no one understands it past a very base level, I've worked with guys that have been in IT twice as long as me that don't understand how MX records work.

I feel seen.

:(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MF_James posted:

Feeling very attacked right now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sorry, these people SHOULD know how MX records work because they are migrating clients to O365 and/or modifying the MX records.

Obviously if your job is not to do DNS stuff or work with mail because you're a dev, PM or whatever else that has nothing to do with ever modifying DNS, then I don't expect you to know.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sepist posted:

Any of you guys doing some kind of out of band IPS for your cloud networks? We've been using Palo Alto's in a transit gateway architecture for AWS and GCP ever since I came onboard and built it, but centralized firewalling just feels very out of place with cloud workloads. We have instances in both clouds and GKE clusters in GCP, and everything uses our transit gateways for east-west /north communication. I currently don't have intra-VPC/intra-GKE inspection which the devs know, so some of them have started consolidating their services within single networks in order to get around security, or they build it in GKE (GCP was considered the dev playground for a long time and we have only recently started making groundwork on tightening security there)

Ideally what I'm thinking is traffic mirroring every instance to a NLB which feeds into Palos for IPS. If anything is more than an alert, we can action it with something like a socless playbook to generate a blocking outbound SG until security can review the incident. Sounds great in theory though, not sure if it would make sense in production.

There's also the other hangup that our transit gateways I am really the sole owner, if I got hit by a bus no one would know how to unwind this poo poo. We're using FRR instances to manage routing before the Palo's and avoid SNAT. It's such a fringe app that even with my detailed documentation they would struggle to support it.

Try putting everything on istio and then report back

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Istio isn't an IPS.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I can’t believe this company seems to be ghosting me. Three interviews and one on site, all seemed to go super well, I pretty much fit their requirements and the two managers seemed pretty excited. Time comes to hear back about an offer and just nothing. Hr lady said I’d hear from her on Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ve sent her an email each day and tried calling a couple times and am being avoided lol. What the gently caress happened... I’ve never been this far into the process and have a company not at least tell me they decided to go another route.

I mean who knows maybe something crazy happened, but an email takes 10 seconds. If this is how they reject people then I guess I’ll be glad I’m not working for them.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Istio isn't an IPS.

https://istio.io/latest/docs/tasks/traffic-management/mirroring/

it can do arbitrary packet mirroring so you could pipe everything to a fleet of Snort instances or whatever. Intra-GKE was mentioned as a use case, I'm not even sure how you could do this without a service mesh or at least using cilium as your CNI

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tetramin posted:

I can’t believe this company seems to be ghosting me. Three interviews and one on site, all seemed to go super well, I pretty much fit their requirements and the two managers seemed pretty excited. Time comes to hear back about an offer and just nothing. Hr lady said I’d hear from her on Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ve sent her an email each day and tried calling a couple times and am being avoided lol. What the gently caress happened... I’ve never been this far into the process and have a company not at least tell me they decided to go another route.

I mean who knows maybe something crazy happened, but an email takes 10 seconds. If this is how they reject people then I guess I’ll be glad I’m not working for them.

This isn't even remotely uncommon. Companies move slow as gently caress. Many will just ghost you instead of saying you didn't get the job.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tetramin posted:

It's possible they're waiting on their first choice to accept/reject an offer before they PFO you.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
^ this has kind of been my assumption. They don’t wanna commit to not hiring me yet.

Internet Explorer posted:

This isn't even remotely uncommon. Companies move slow as gently caress. Many will just ghost you instead of saying you didn't get the job.

drat I guess I’ve been pretty lucky. I mean I’ve had jobs that take forever and normally wouldn’t really be concerned at 4 days waiting, HR set my expectations as way earlier this week which kinda started making me anxious. I’ve been ghosted plenty but not really at this step.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wibla posted:

Guessing phonetic alphabets are too hard for him, eh?

Me: I’ll spell my name for you:
Alpha Golf Romeo...

Them: hold on, you are going too fast.
A-L-P-H-A-G-O-L-F-R-O-M-E-O... okay.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Methanar posted:

We do have istio on the GKE clusters but mirroring the traffic has never been my problem, it's more of a "is this even sane" question. I think losing our non-signature and sandboxing threat functionality might be too much of an ask and we'll end up just deploying IDS for intra-VPC/intra-GKE monitoring and continue to let the palo's be our inter-network enforcers. My idea of removing inline network security is a pipe dream :smithcloud:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

https://istio.io/latest/docs/tasks/traffic-management/mirroring/

it can do arbitrary packet mirroring so you could pipe everything to a fleet of Snort instances or whatever. Intra-GKE was mentioned as a use case, I'm not even sure how you could do this without a service mesh or at least using cilium as your CNI

No. Just no. Don’t ever recommend this again.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

No. Just no. Don’t ever recommend this again.

I'm joking.

Istio is garbage

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

I'm joking.

Istio is garbage

I’m actually liking consul right now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They're one of the larger Google Cloud consultancies out there, and Google sort of outsources a bunch of their customer relationship management to SADA reps. If you end up on GCP via one of the larger VCs like Andreessen Horowitz there's a good chance Google will partner you up with SADA by default

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Internet Explorer posted:

Both Starbucks and Microsoft ghosted me. You’d think they’d have a better process to prevent the right assholes being on vacation at the right time to gum up the works just so

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I’m actually liking consul right now.

It’s become a lot better since we first used it in beta at $unicorn. Stuff like consul-template restarting varnish 300 times in a minute since it couldn’t coalesce updates was fun, and no authentication on anything

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If I want to be a sysadmin some day, am I doing the right thing getting a bachelor's degree in Computer Science? I'm 2 years in at this point, and am wondering if my time would be better spent on getting certs. I tried to talk to my school counselors about this, and they did not know much, and just recommended getting a computer science degree if I want to work with computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bachelors will help. Certs will also.