Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Bored As gently caress posted:

We really do need a federal service of firefighters. Pay them well. It'd be a great jobs program, and they can be deployed anywhere in the country where big fires happen. Get 5 or 10 thousand of em. Put them under the Department of the Interior or something and have them coordinate with FEMA and the states.

Untagged posted:

The Department of Agriculture (Forest Service) has about 10 thousand full, part-time, or reserve wildland fire fighters just on it's own. The DOI has some too, but more based on the local agency level like Parks, BIA, etc. A lot of those guys are on some type of task force and routinely get assignments all over the country.

a friend of mine recently became a firefighter with the US Forestry Service and he said he makes $13/hr with a $1.25/hr bonus when he's actually fighting a fire.

:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Basticle posted:

a friend of mine recently became a firefighter with the US Forestry Service and he said he makes $13/hr with a $1.25/hr bonus when he's actually fighting a fire.

what the gently caress

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
The prisoners make...much less.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

what the gently caress

The bulk of their earnings come from OT, which you get a LOT of when you're working a fire. Of course, the downside is that if there aren't any fires going on, you're making a hell of a less.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The bulk of their earnings come from OT, which you get a LOT of when you're working a fire. Of course, the downside is that if there aren't any fires going on, you're making a hell of a less.
Well, I guess we have good news for them about climate change. . .

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Basticle posted:

You might die protecting others and also the work is hard as gently caress. Here’s a pittance. Even with OT that’s only up to “ok” wages.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/AAPolicyForum/status/1296228044399620097

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

what the gently caress

Firefighter pay isn't amazing. The Feds tend to pay a lot less than local departments but local departments have a bunch of hosed up pay issues due to the existence of volunteer departments. EMTs tend to be paid even worse.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Speaking of fires, Pikes Peak has a wildfire going on it now. Smoky as gently caress out here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lol de Blasio somehow thinks that if he kisses some blue rear end now and then the cop union won't go after him like a black man with a wallet.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Speaking of fires, Pikes Peak has a wildfire going on it now. Smoky as gently caress out here.

Luckily it was only 1/10th of an acre and was fully contained this afternoon. All this smoke is from California and Pine Gulch & Grizzly Peak.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 22, 2020

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Basticle posted:

One of the issues is the USFS firefighting program was essentially designed and based on a seasonal need with seasonal employment of firefighters. Along with that came a "seasonal" employee type federal pay scale. Nowadays they routinely hire "seasonal" firefighters that basically become full-time for a year or more. With the modern year-round fire season they will likely have to, at some point, reevaluate the program, positions, and pay consistent with real full-time positions in the fed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Untagged posted:

One of the issues is the USFS firefighting program was essentially designed and based on a seasonal need with seasonal employment of firefighters. Along with that came a "seasonal" employee type federal pay scale. Nowadays they routinely hire "seasonal" firefighters that basically become full-time for a year or more. With the modern year-round fire season they will likely have to, at some point, reevaluate the program, positions, and pay consistent with real full-time positions in the fed.

"Who's going to pay for that" - noted lolbertarian rear end in a top hat Rand Paul

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Didn't see this posted,

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1296925820456443904

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Woof.

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1296893426370318336

WOOOOOOOF

https://twitter.com/BenWinslow/status/1296916329652301824

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ah, we're at this stage of the tea party cycle i see

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rep. Romero looked it up and withdrew from participation. She said her friend however is still adamant that it's not a QAnon front.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rip if only crazy people can rage about kiddie diddlers then all people who rage against kiddy diddlers can be classified as crazy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I can't believe I'm saying this, but the mass proliferation of this Qanon poo poo makes me miss the simpler days of Alex Jones.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
this qanon stuff is going to get (more) people hurt, these people are nuts and basically fanatics

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

Rip if only crazy people can rage about kiddie diddlers then all people who rage against kiddy diddlers can be classified as crazy.

Apparently QAnon morons are bombarding the Human Trafficking Hotline and the National Human Trafficking Hotline with memes and other BS in order to prevent people from accessing it, because they think that Wayfair is part of the baby-eating satanic cult.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1296902916222189570?s=20

Meanwhile, the people who run the programs are simply begging for people to stop wasting their time with meme calls so they can actually help people

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 22, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

Apparently QAnon morons are enrolling the Human Trafficking Hotline and the National Human Trafficking Hotline in Wayfair robocalls and other BS in order to prevent people from accessing it, because they think that those phone numbers are fronts for the baby-eating satanic cult.

And there'll be no consequences for what is likely an illegal act because the president believes them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SeaborneClink posted:

Luckily it was only 1/10th of an acre and was fully contained this afternoon. All this smoke is from California and Pine Gulch & Grizzly Peak.

Ah, okay. I only heard about it at weed work, so I didn't realize it was out already.

It's been smokey all week anyhow.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

And there'll be no consequences for what is likely an illegal act because the president believes them.

I corrected my post, they're not enrolling the numbers in robocalls (also illegal) they're calling in bullshit meme fake calls because they think Wayfair is trafficking children in dressers and poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The scary thing about qanon is that the majority of the public that is not extremely online is still just making fun of them rather than treating them like the serious threat that they are.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The scary thing about qanon is that the majority of the public that is not extremely online is still just making fun of them rather than treating them like the serious threat that they are.

A lot of people are getting sucked in by the "well you want to protect children right?" because the QAnon rallies are hiding their QAnon-ness in order to recruit regular people to their psycho cult. Kinda like boiling a frog, they get pulled in by the saving the children stuff, and then fall into the deep end of Washington DC pizza parlors with secret sex dungeons and poo poo.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
The qanon folk seriously need inpatient care.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ah, okay. I only heard about it at weed work, so I didn't realize it was out already.

It's been smokey all week anyhow.

It's bad though, for sure.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Those people should get paid a $45k-$55k starting salary, depending on location.

How the gently caress are they risking their lives for such poo poo pay?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Bored As gently caress posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Those people should get paid a $45k-$55k starting salary, depending on location.

How the gently caress are they risking their lives for such poo poo pay?

I made 17k a year when we invaded Iraq in 2003. This whole subforum is full of idiots who risked their lives for peanuts.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Turns out it's really easy to take advantage of people when you appeal to a higher sense of purpose, who knew.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I mean hell this screenshot is from 20 seconds ago

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Great news all around folks.

I should have stayed in bed

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SeaborneClink posted:

I'll do you one better:

It's even hazier in person. Time will tell if it'll get thick enough you can't see the other side, which I have seen happen.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

I couldn't see Pikes Peak from I-25 today. That's pretty bad.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I was at work in the middle of town and could only make out the mountains from the smoke with sunglasses on, but just barely.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

shame on an IGA posted:

I mean hell this screenshot is from 20 seconds ago

A White Guy had some great stories.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

QAnon assholes are coming out of the woodwork since Trump made his comments.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
had to explain to a friend of mine yesterday what qanon was because her mother and grandmother are believers. it's loving sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you have to jump through absolutely bonkers hoops to justify your continued support of a garbage human being doing a poo poo job costing hundreds of thousands of lives, you’ve got deeper issues.