Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Inner Light posted:

Weekly thread reminder that unless you have a lifestyle significantly different from the boring sedentary median that regularly puts your phone in harm's way/around sharp metal, screen protectors do almost nothing.

I'm a car guy so a decent analogy is the useless things car dealers will sell you, like VIN etching or nitrogen filled tires.

I found that to be absolutely true on Android; I never worried about screen protectors and my phones after years had no scratches whatsoever. The iPhone XS I switched to is totally scratched up after six months. So I don't know about that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Inner Light posted:

Weekly thread reminder that unless you have a lifestyle significantly different from the boring sedentary median that regularly puts your phone in harm's way/around sharp metal, screen protectors do almost nothing.

I'm a car guy so a decent analogy is the useless things car dealers will sell you, like VIN etching or nitrogen filled tires.

I was annoyed at seeing scratches on a months old phone, but they are the kind you have to look for, only visible at the right angle under light.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've had a 6S Plus since almost release and only started noticing scratches last year, surprised to hear the newer phones aren't more resistant.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

I've had a 6S Plus since almost release and only started noticing scratches last year, surprised to hear the newer phones aren't more resistant.

A new version of gorilla glass was announced a few months ago, and they actually pointed out in their release how this is the first gorilla glass in years to improve scratch resistance because they've been so focused on shatter resistance.

Scratches are very much a lifestyle thing anyways. My XS is totally fine after nearly two years but I'm a cubicle drone that goes hiking a couple times a month.. so it's pretty low risk. People that work at a beach or in a industrial setting probably get much worse results.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My life is totally sedentary. Maybe the SE doesn’t get the best glass?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
No scratches on my new SE and it's even been dropped a couple of times.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My 8 was the only iPhone I’ve had to get some minor scratches and it was the longes one I owned and I was pretty rough with it. I plan on getting a protector for the first time for my 12 just to protect the oleophobic coating.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
13.6.1 improved the situation but boy is there ever something fucky with battery handling on my OG SE.

Sure has a hour-long battery under use... to hit 20% anyway.

I've currently been at 1% for sixty minutes playing youtube video.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have really bad scratching on my 7 Plus but it was also the Jet Black color and that was to be expected for sure.

I see some minor scratches on the screen of my 11. The marks on the aluminum frame are more obvious, apparently I abuse the bottom right corner of my phone, but the glass is really nice.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
My XS Max is scratched to hell, I’m assuming from garbage in my pockets with my phone.

Also the new iOS Beta that installed last night dramatically improved searching for apps. It was terrible up to this beta.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So I get maybe two hours of active use off the battery.

And then three loving hours at 1% playing video.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

So I get maybe two hours of active use off the battery.

And then three loving hours at 1% playing video.

Nothing that extreme, but my old SE also tended to act weird past the battery mid point. (battery health was ~85%, I think)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SeANMcBAY posted:

My 8 was the only iPhone I’ve had to get some minor scratches and it was the longes one I owned and I was pretty rough with it. I plan on getting a protector for the first time for my 12 just to protect the oleophobic coating.

This is hilarious. You're buying a protector to protect the fingerprint coating which will never touch fingerprints??

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inner Light posted:

This is hilarious. You're buying a protector to protect the fingerprint coating which will never touch fingerprints??

it wearing off can be visible (as in, it'll look bad), no?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

endlessmonotony posted:

13.6.1 improved the situation but boy is there ever something fucky with battery handling on my OG SE.

Sure has a hour-long battery under use... to hit 20% anyway.

I've currently been at 1% for sixty minutes playing youtube video.

How old is the battery. What's the health in the settings app?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inner Light posted:

It wears off relatively quickly for me and I can’t stand how smeary the phone gets without it.

Is there a way to reapply it if that happens? I may just do that instead next time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SeANMcBAY posted:

It wears off relatively quickly for me and I can’t stand how smeary the phone gets without it.

Is there a way to reapply it if that happens? I may just do that instead next time.

There are kits on Amazon but I don't know if $16 is worth it to make the coating on my phone last a few extra months at best.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a long term protector-less user and I've never noticed the glass changing appearance in terms of attracting fingerprints over the lifetime of a phone. I bet 99+% of others would agree too.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 21, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inner Light posted:

I'm a long term protector-less user and I've never noticed the glass changing appearance in terms of attracting fingerprints over the lifetime of a phone. I bet 99+% of others would agree too.

Thanks for the input.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Inner Light posted:

I bet 99+% of others would agree too.

I bet you’re wrong

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Come on we need more opinions!! :D

Weedle
May 31, 2006

maybe you guys with fingerprint problems should be washing your hands more often. there's a pandemic you know

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Hey Siri (without Carplay) in the car seems pretty worthless, any way to disable this screen? It pops up whenever I try Hey Siri, and doesn't go away until I swipe up. Seems counter-intuitive for car use to require interaction, but I might be missing something!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jose Oquendo posted:

How old is the battery. What's the health in the settings app?

What difference does it make? Calibrate it, if that doesn't fix it replace it no matter the answer, no?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

What difference does it make? Calibrate it, if that doesn't fix it replace it no matter the answer, no?

That's super weird answer. Just answer the question lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's super weird answer. Just answer the question lol

I'm far more curious why he asked because I don't see any answer meaningfully changing anything, which means that either there is, indeed, no reason for asking, or I'm about to learn something new.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Those are two pretty normal questions when addressing a potential battery issue whether it’s hardware or software. I literally do this poo poo for a living. Sorry for trying to be helpful.

But yeah you could try recalibrating the battery.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 22, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

trying to maneuver the conversation in a direction they can get snippy about is kind of their “deal.” don’t worry about it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
How would that narrow it down though? I'm genuinely asking here.

I want to know the cases where it was something that wasn't just "calibrate, if still broken replace" like boring day-to-day maintenance because that sounds fascinating.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

maybe you guys with fingerprint problems should be washing your hands more often. there's a pandemic you know

I think it’s the constant use of hand sanitizer that’s doing it for me. The alcohol eats through the coating.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My phone is fine but my iPad (about two and a half years old) is just a mess of fingerprints now and nothing I do keeps it looking clean for long. I’d be super interested in replacing the coating on it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Inner Light posted:

Honestly if I didn’t pop so many tires I would love nitrogen so I didn’t have to deal with all the pressure fluctuation refills during monsoon season.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Weedle posted:

trying to maneuver the conversation in a direction they can get snippy about is kind of their “deal.” don’t worry about it

Let's face it, we're mostly IT professionals here, and we all know the usual causes and the diagnosis flowchart for questions to ask before repair or replacement, except in the case of iPhone batteries there isn't really one, because if the algorithm's hosed only Apple can fix that and they haven't even communicated having identified a problem, and the hardware is "calibrate or replace".

If I wanted to get snippy about it I'd jump straight to assuming they're just following a flowchart without thinking about it... but what if they're *not*? What if they know something I don't, something new?

The battery's about 18mo old and 95% health, and it's an Apple original (but given it's an Apple original installed in 2019, I do wonder how long it's just been on a shelf).

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

endlessmonotony posted:

How would that narrow it down though? I'm genuinely asking here.

I want to know the cases where it was something that wasn't just "calibrate, if still broken replace" like boring day-to-day maintenance because that sounds fascinating.

Because the phone does it’s own battery diagnostics and can usually tell you if the battery is hosed.

If the health is below 80% or it says it’s experienced shutdowns, it should be replaced. Conversely, if that’s the original battery, and the health is well above 80%, either something is very, very wrong with the battery’s reporting or the phone sat in a drawer for 2 years. And if it comes up with an error, something is even more broken or it’s a pre-battery health 3rd party battery.

But the short version is that for normal use, barring any sort of defects, you’ve got about 2 years of normal battery life, another year or so of “this doesn’t hold a charge like it used to,” and after that anything from draining fast to swelling up and popping your screen off.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TVs Ian posted:

Because the phone does it’s own battery diagnostics and can usually tell you if the battery is hosed.

If the health is below 80% or it says it’s experienced shutdowns, it should be replaced. Conversely, if that’s the original battery, and the health is well above 80%, either something is very, very wrong with the battery’s reporting or the phone sat in a drawer for 2 years. And if it comes up with an error, something is even more broken or it’s a pre-battery health 3rd party battery.

But the short version is that for normal use, barring any sort of defects, you’ve got about 2 years of normal battery life, another year or so of “this doesn’t hold a charge like it used to,” and after that anything from draining fast to swelling up and popping your screen off.

And that's all normal battery aging, except the "experienced shutdowns" part, because that's an indicator of nothing in Finland the devices may as well come preconfigured that way.

Normal battery aging rarely if ever causes behavior like "the battery goes down to 1% and then continues to stay on fine for double the time it took to get from 100% to 1% while playing video".

And either way you're narrowing it down to either "calibrate the battery and see what happens", "battery is hosed, replace" or "device is hosed, replace"... much like you'd do in any case where the answer isn't "send it to Apple for warranty".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sorry about your broken phone. I'm running a beta and have no problems at all.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rick posted:

Honestly if I didn’t pop so many tires I would love nitrogen so I didn’t have to deal with all the pressure fluctuation refills during monsoon season.

I think you might need better tires. My climate changes from ~90F in the warmer months to ~10F in the winter and I've never had pressure vary enough in several years to trip TPMS, so no more than a couple PSI. Or maybe I need to check more, since air temperature should change PSI regardless of tire.

Additionally, nitrogen filled tires do not vary less in PSI with temperature change than air filled ones. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191#:~:text=Nitrogen%20is%20a%20gas%20and,change%20the%20laws%20of%20physics.

quote:

Nitrogen is a gas and is still affected by changes in ambient temperature (about one psi for every 10° Fahrenheit). Nitrogen filled tires will require pressure be added during the fall/winter months as ambient temperatures and tire pressures drop. Nitrogen is good but can't change the laws of physics.

Don't mess with King Pedant, good night.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 22, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Sorry about your broken phone. I'm running a beta and have no problems at all.

It's kind of their thing.

Their phone is always broken in some way. And every point release is the worst over. Except for major releases, those are even more the worst ever.

I pretty much tune out those posts since they're so much white noise at this point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Let's face it, we're mostly IT professionals here, and we all know the usual causes and the diagnosis flowchart for questions to ask before repair or replacement, except in the case of iPhone batteries there isn't really one, because if the algorithm's hosed only Apple can fix that and they haven't even communicated having identified a problem, and the hardware is "calibrate or replace".

If I wanted to get snippy about it I'd jump straight to assuming they're just following a flowchart without thinking about it... but what if they're *not*? What if they know something I don't, something new?

The battery's about 18mo old and 95% health, and it's an Apple original (but given it's an Apple original installed in 2019, I do wonder how long it's just been on a shelf).

"IT professional" is not the vibe I have ever gotten from an Apple thread. Tech Journalist maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ijyt posted:

"IT professional" is not the vibe I have ever gotten from an Apple thread. Tech Journalist maybe.

No kidding.

“The battery is 18mo old, but it’s a replacement and it was probably just sitting on a shelf beforehand so how old is the battery, really?” :thunk:

It’s almost like battery health is a wildly complex thing and people’s experiences will vary!