Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

isndl posted:

Okay, who's been using their phone to charge their battery packs? Someone better 'fess up.

Earphones my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got the Pixel4a today. Was a bit disappointed they made me use a cable to transfer stuff over from my old phone, maybe that's because it was a motorola device. Previously upgrading between Google devices, it basically connected to my account and did everything itself.

Gonna have to retrain myself for the new finger unlock spot, had gotten used to the thumb one by now. The button doesnt even work on my Moto X4 anymore. Anyway, seems nice so far but I really don't do much with the thing normally so I'm never sure what to even test out.

The default screen protector it comes with stinks, guess I'll have to actually buy one this time since this thing is slightly matte and has a weird flap over usb slot. Usually the default screen protectors have some dumb branding or text, intwending for you to remove it, but if you just persevere the ink rubs off.

The spigen clear plastic case seemed fine for the Moto X4, but I have to think the case itself had something to do with the power button eventually failing to work. I raw dog'd every phone before then, so I have no experience with cases outside of that spigen poo poo, which I got because it was cheap and seemed the most straight forward at the time. Is this like a thing like buying clothes and it's basically all preference or is there some good standard brands for pixel?

Also, where are the buttons? Like, back button and middle button and square-one?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Settings, system, gestures

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Uh, that's not a screen protector, it's just packaging.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just get used to gestures, they're better

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

The default screen protector it comes with stinks, guess I'll have to actually buy one this time since this thing is slightly matte and has a weird flap over usb slot. Usually the default screen protectors have some dumb branding or text, intwending for you to remove it, but if you just persevere the ink rubs off.

The what?

bull3964 posted:

Oh hahah yeah I should've realized, the weird flap over the usb slot lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just get used to gestures, they're better

I agree with you that people should just get used to them, it's never a good long term strategy to fight the future. Nothing's more pathetic than watching people try (I think of my parents hoarding incandescent light bulbs). And while I do use them and like them, they aren't better, they're an adequate equivalent UI of dubious value.

Gestures have poor discoverability, weirdness with third party launchers, poor interactions with apps that make use of a sidebar menu, and maybe it's just me but are a bit flaky when accessing the recents. All so you get a half centimeter more vertical space and a little less visual clutter. They work fine once you get used to their quirks but I definitely understand why some people don't like them.

I guess I'd add that I don't expect them abandon the buttons simply for accessibility concerns so screw it, no reason to even fight with them if the user doesn't want to in this case.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 22, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah but it's an old mayor's trick to turn the packaging into the screen protector, since that's also its purpose initially. Seriously, last two phones just had a totally clear material with a little bit printed on it like "don't drive and look at this at night" or whatever and after a week of use it was all gone. I've already started to like this matte effect, I could tape this flap down and cut a hole for the slot...

I'll give these gestures a shot, I learned half the HandSpring special keyboard language back in the day. The normal "back" seems trickiest so far.

CloudPrint needs to step off! I told you thrice, no permission for my email!!!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I agree with you that people should just get used to them, it's never a good long term strategy to fight the future. Nothing's more pathetic than watching people try (I think of my parents hoarding incandescent light bulbs). And while I do use them and like them, they aren't better, they're an adequate equivalent UI of dubious value.

Gestures have poor discoverability, weirdness with third party launchers, poor interactions with apps that make use of a sidebar menu, and maybe it's just me but are a bit flaky when accessing the recents. All so you get a half centimeter more vertical space and a little less visual clutter. They work fine once you get used to their quirks but I definitely understand why some people don't like them.

I guess I'd add that I don't expect them abandon the buttons simply for accessibility concerns so screw it, no reason to even fight with them if the user doesn't want to in this case.

This is Google we're talking about. As soon as everyone gets used to them, they'll be abandoned in favor of something new, complicated, and somehow even worse.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

I guess I'd add that I don't expect them abandon the buttons simply for accessibility concerns

I suspect so, too. I hope so, at least, so I don't need to teach my mother gestures.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Yeah but it's an old mayor's trick to turn the packaging into the screen protector, since that's also its purpose initially. Seriously, last two phones just had a totally clear material with a little bit printed on it like "don't drive and look at this at night" or whatever and after a week of use it was all gone. I've already started to like this matte effect, I could tape this flap down and cut a hole for the slot...

Dude, it's not a screen protector, it's literally just temporary packaging. Remove it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
and leave my screen exposed, helpless?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Yup

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Yes. I'm not trolling you. I swear.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

blunt posted:

Earphones my dude.

For wired of course, for wireless it's near impossible to keep alignment with a buds case while charging on the go and if you're stopped somewhere long enough let your phone+buds sit and charge you probably have better options. Battery packs are similar enough in size to phones that you can feasibly keep the coils aligned when packed in a pocket or bag I think, but you probably aren't looking to charge the battery pack with the phone.

I dunno, reverse wireless charging on a phone seems like an incredibly niche feature overall. Has anyone in this thread actually used it?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Okay, I gave the gestures the afternoon to grow on me and tweaked Nova's gestures to accommodate the way it handles the home button. I think it's a winner. The back button was way too far from my thumb with the screen covering so much of the face, but the pull from the side feels really nice. This wasn't a problem on the 1 XL, since it had that giant chin bezel.

But yeah, it's solid. The home button gesture's a little jank with Nova, though, which isn't a big deal. It's a minor flicker before it re-sets to my default page.

The Assistant chirp is super quiet, is that a new thing? I kinda want the ping back.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

isndl posted:

I dunno, reverse wireless charging on a phone seems like an incredibly niche feature overall. Has anyone in this thread actually used it?

I've used reverse charging at the bar when my wife's phone was nearly dead and mine was fully charged. I'd imagine it would be even better if I could do that wirelessly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It means I don't have to take the charging pad for my watch or the cable for my work iPhone. Not a big deal but it's a nice convenience feature. It's kinda fincky with the watch though, needs to be positioned just right.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Khanstant posted:

:wtc:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

isndl posted:

For wired of course, for wireless it's near impossible to keep alignment with a buds case while charging on the go and if you're stopped somewhere long enough let your phone+buds sit and charge you probably have better options. Battery packs are similar enough in size to phones that you can feasibly keep the coils aligned when packed in a pocket or bag I think, but you probably aren't looking to charge the battery pack with the phone.

It's not about on the go - at night you plug your phone into a power adapter and then place your wireless earphones (w/ case) on top of your phone and go to sleep.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've never used reverse wireless charging despite having an s10+ at launch and now am s20 ultra because there's never a time where something else needs power more than my phone does when I'm out. If my Samsung watch dies, which it never does, oh well.

But if I ever used earbuds I could see it coming in handy sometimes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've never used reverse wireless charging despite having an s10+ at launch and now am s20 ultra because there's never a time where something else needs power more than my phone does when I'm out. If my Samsung watch dies, which it never does, oh well.

But if I ever used earbuds I could see it coming in handy sometimes.

I did it once on vacation to charge my earbuds while charging my phone!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It probably wouldn't come in all that handy even then. Even my cheaptest set of sub-50$ true wireless earbuds has a total charge capacity of 24 hours or more over multiple recharges. If you're out and about for that long, you can just plug it into your charger once the phone is done.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My only worry about the P5 / P4a 5G is that you can't turn off the 5G radios to save battery. There's no reason to have them on if your carrier (Fi for me) doesn't have 5G yet.

Also, it'd be hilarious if Google launched phones that don't even work on their own network because carriers in the US are poo poo at 5G.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What makes you say you can't switch network mode LTE only instead? You can do it on all current 5g phones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

My only worry about the P5 / P4a 5G is that you can't turn off the 5G radios to save battery. There's no reason to have them on if your carrier (Fi for me) doesn't have 5G yet.

Also, it'd be hilarious if Google launched phones that don't even work on their own network because carriers in the US are poo poo at 5G.

Are you sure? I've read you can do that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

the flap actually as bad as it seemed at first but the matte effect totally makes everything slightly blurry, I imagine this is what it must be like when your eyesight starts to go.

All joking a salad, I'll get a proper screen protector and case once some reviews for them shake out. I could honestly deal with the flap, but the matte effect is too much .

The gestures so far are great, I'm already pretty used to them and they feel natural. The trickiest one is to bring up the "app switch" screen, if only because you have to kind of linger down low for a moment.

Battery life on this thing seems a bit worse than Moto x4, but need more time to compare. I lose the OG charging brick for the moto so it never rapid-charged anyway, the replacement either sucked or the moto usb got loosey goosey over time because it was always a hard time to recharge it, just wouldn't be charging despite it seemingly to be attached. If the Pixel actually quick-charges it'll be a moot issue, testing that now from 50% battery.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Khanstant posted:

All joking a salad
Maybe you should get that proper screen protector a little bit sooner.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Do screen protectors actually work? I haven't used one in years, and never manged to crack my screen......I say that now. *Knocks on wood*

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Khanstant posted:

All joking a salad

Heynong man. Unless you're fastballing your phone into the wall on a regular basis, just try it without a screen protector for a while. My Note 9 doesn't have a scratch on it after 18 months. It's not that hard to keep it nice unless you roll around in the sand at the beach regularly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I really might, I went caseless-protectionless on all my past phones and really enjoy how tiny the things are without any bonus crap on it. Screen scratching was never an issue, and past cracked screens were basically entirely useable, the one exception I using a simple piece of clear packing tape to stop it from cutting me made my nexus 5x last another year then got some boot issue. I wouldn't hold myself responsible for the past cracks either, plus now working from home, and having an office job when not cuts out every bullshit possibility from the past. Moto X4 just had the packaging film I left on it + the cheapo clear plastic and I never even dropped it to see if the case did anything or not.

Fine, I'll take this packaging off in a few days. I have a friend who really hates my attempts to keep on factory-plastic-surface-protector-thingies on any device, but in the past I was right about it for the phone since the ink did rub off entirely. In this scenario it's very obviously no good as a screen protector and the fuzziness of it is very very noticeable. Delaying gratification here is cool but the hollow disappointment of someone else peeling it off to spite you is one of those rare feelings combos you shouldn't pass up.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Rakeris posted:

Do screen protectors actually work? I haven't used one in years, and never manged to crack my screen......I say that now. *Knocks on wood*

They're supposed to prevent scratches not breaking.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I grabbed the Spigen Rugged Armor for my 4a, it's pretty good. Adds just enough grip and I like having a bit of a lip around the screen. Still light, but with a bit more bulk.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Welp, Gmail is back to not syncing when it's in the background. This is fun.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Khanstant posted:

I'll give these gestures a shot, I learned half the HandSpring special keyboard language back in the day. The normal "back" seems trickiest so far.

CloudPrint needs to step off! I told you thrice, no permission for my email!!!

which mayor

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

which mayor

McCheese obviously.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

which mayor

the one Tom goes to

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i don't keep the big ol' plastic bag on my monitor after pulling it out of the box because despite being designed to keep the screen safe, it's not designed for use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hey i found a gif of khanstant eating banana