Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/dpovey1/status/1296294375987662848

"look, i WAS initially interested in the idea of giving women and minorities civil rights, but the goddamned WOKE brigade made me realize how foolish that idea was. so tragic :unsmith: "

holy moly there are some great responses to this. this guy is a good one in particular

https://twitter.com/2xminus1/status/1296343766513508353?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1296820737521717248
:lol:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Huh, they were right, they do render you unable to breathe.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

https://twitter.com/evanchill/status/1296473907638263810?s=20

posting evidence of my crimes for 20 likes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't know if this is real and I don't want to know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seriously must tweet a hundred times a day. Going back 12 hours is a major chore, mostly because I have to see all those tweets.

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
This is Ron Guancione, leader of the US wing of the trans-exclusionary hate group for gay and lesbian people, the LGB Alliance. Apparently the very online right are losing their minds over Cuties, a film that criticizes the hypersexualization of prepubescent girls.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

ahahaha

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
This poo poo is weird because there was a massive social media push to shout on Twitter and FB about how things were so hosed up that even 4chan was taking a moral stand against Netflix but the only place anyone had even heard about it was 4chan. Like, gee, I wonder why they were the only ones keyed into it and talking so much about it. Seems completely real and on-the-level.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

salisbury shake posted:

This is Ron Guancione, leader of the US wing of the trans-exclusionary hate group for gay and lesbian people, the LGB Alliance. Apparently the very online right are losing their minds over Cuties, a film that criticizes the hypersexualization of prepubescent girls.

That's because, allegedly, Netflix marketed the movie by hypersexualizing its subjects. hosed up, if true!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

salisbury shake posted:

link broken

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That's because, allegedly, Netflix marketed the movie by hypersexualizing its subjects. hosed up, if true!

Well the one preview image I saw NetFlix use was creepy as hell so...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://twitter.com/miggsboson/status/1296495374056775688
It's hosed up and it is true

e: This has taken over like five threads I'm reading

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
can't tell if netflix galactically hosed up or pulled off the most cynical viral marketing campaign yet

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

can't tell if netflix galactically hosed up or pulled off the most cynical viral marketing campaign yet

They ended up changing the image and apologizing for it. So they galactically hosed up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Facts don't care about the lack of feelings that result in you trying to thumb a semi into your dry-rear end wife.

*edit: https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1296920754722705408?s=20

Olympic Mathlete has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Aug 21, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

https://twitter.com/miggsboson/status/1296495374056775688
It's hosed up and it is true

e: This has taken over like five threads I'm reading

Yeah the film won dramatic awards and reviews have praised it for its condemnation of the glorifying of the child dance industry and tackling a serious issue of young girls growing up, seeing these sexualized performances and how it warps their perception of sexuality and the value of their own bodies especially when you add issues of race and culture into the mix.

Netflix "LOOK AT THESE TWERKING T(W)EENS! GURL POWER!"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Romes128 posted:

They ended up changing the image and apologizing for it. So they galactically hosed up.

Calling it a fuckup seems too generous somehow. Like, it certainly isn't an innocent mistake, its a brutally cynical one which reflects a positive desire to market children as sex objects for an imagined profit.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
sometimes i doubt netflix's commitment to sparkle motion

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Has the Q collective caught onto that story yet?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Rest easy friend.
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1296920754722705408?s=20

efb like Shapiro’s not-wet-at-all meat

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean the thing is, ace is a perfectly valid orientation, but it seems unlikely he's anywhere around there?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
hahahah you have to be kidding a "gigantic fuckup" is beyond euphemism. They knew what they were doing I mean holy loving poo poo.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

whaley posted:

holy moly there are some great responses to this. this guy is a good one in particular

https://twitter.com/2xminus1/status/1296343766513508353?s=20

its a wretched hive of misogyny in there. i just tell people "sorry your mother injected herself with several doses of the zika virus when she was pregnant with you" and move on

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

hahahah you have to be kidding a "gigantic fuckup" is beyond euphemism. They knew what they were doing I mean holy loving poo poo.

yeah that was extremely cynical and 100% intentional.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im gonna go agaisnt the grain here and say that the picture they used wasnt particularly bad, at least compared to the actual shows the film is commenting on. like it doesnt look any worse than your average episode of dance moms

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

silvergoose posted:

I mean the thing is, ace is a perfectly valid orientation, but it seems unlikely he's anywhere around there?
Lol, he's rabidly thirsty for AOC so at best he maybe wants to be dominated and at worst his dad made him such a hosed up bundle of neuroses that he's terrified of his sexual urges and is saddled with massive guilt.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

babypolis posted:

im gonna go agaisnt the grain here and say that the picture they used wasnt particularly bad, at least compared to the actual shows the film is commenting on. like it doesnt look any worse than your average episode of dance moms

I think that's the problem. As someone who doesnt know anything about the film, I could write it off at a glance as just another piece of exploitative kiddie pageant media. Which I suppose could work if that was the filmmaker's intention--fool the viewer into watching something critical of what they were looking for--but I dont think that's the case here.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FilthyImp posted:

Lol, he's rabidly thirsty for AOC so at best he maybe wants to be dominated and at worst his dad made him such a hosed up bundle of neuroses that he's terrified of his sexual urges and is saddled with massive guilt.

yeah as I said, seems very unlikely. Just, the fake tweet is actually non-ridiculous, because spouses can be non-sexual and still valid.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a yacht instagram account. loving hell

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Dreylad posted:

a yacht instagram account. loving hell

my sister-in-laws fancies herself a temporarily embarrassed millionaire and works with "people" that have multi-million dollar yachts. they all have instagram pages, and facebook pages, and youtube channels and just...ugh.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Marx Was A Lib posted:

my sister-in-laws fancies herself a temporarily embarrassed millionaire and works with "people" that have multi-million dollar yachts. they all have instagram pages, and facebook pages, and youtube channels and just...ugh.

the fabled living brands

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I just don't get calling a leisure fishing boat the "WARFIGHTER". Going out on a leisurely fishing trip with your rich scam buddies is about as far from war as you can get.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I bet he did yacht see this coming :haw:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
"battle wagon" lmao

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

babypolis posted:

i kinda agree, if this were one of those shows i think the line being crossed wouldn't be the imagery alone, it would be coupling it with the title "cuties" that isn't even pretending to be anything but pedo bait.

(probably someone in netflix marketing rationalized it as some kind of edgy satire or meta-commentary that supported the message of the movie, but at the end of the day the rule of goats applies)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Viscous Soda posted:

I just don't get calling a leisure fishing boat the "WARFIGHTER". Going out on a leisurely fishing trip with your rich scam buddies is about as far from war as you can get.

Flamewars are real wars.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Marx Was A Lib posted:

look I admit that I'm bougie enough that I'm going to dragged in front of the tribunals to be guillotined in the near future, but all I ask is those people go before me

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

Fascism is all about aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

silvergoose posted:

yeah as I said, seems very unlikely. Just, the fake tweet is actually non-ridiculous, because spouses can be non-sexual and still valid.
Ah, sorry. But yeah, what you said there is very apt.

I dunno if his wife was also chaste but suddenly realizing you're ACE after marriage could be a thing if you just thought "I don't have to think about this till later anyway"