Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a friggin kettenkrad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Colonel posted:

it's a friggin kettenkrad

Kujibiki Unbalance crossover when?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
you can just watch the glt anime and then read the last chapter of the manga for the same effect. (this is what I did)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

as long as you also watch this scene from sabagebu, in german
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfM1flINeW0

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

homeless snail posted:

as long as you also watch this scene from sabagebu, in german
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfM1flINeW0

What the gently caress! they actually die!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats right theyre all dead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Toalpaz posted:

you can just watch the glt anime and then read the last chapter of the manga for the same effect. (this is what I did)

there's several chapters of good poo poo in between the end of the anime and the end of the manga... why would you do this

this even skips the whole staircase scene that is the climax of the entire story, that's the coolest part

if you're gonna skip to after the anime stuff at least read from where the manga picks up off it...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the anime ends at chapter 29 so it's not like just reading the stuff after that is even a heavy read

this is as hosed up as never reading the anthology chapter contributed by tsukumizu about an au where chii and yuu are just regular college students who make out

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Girls Last Tour made me feel down but the anthology made me smile a bit.

Truly a series of contrasts.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
have you read shimeji simulation at all

i think it's a lot more uplifting than glt, given that it's not about the post apocalypse and is instead about surreal daily life adventures and finding meaning in life and relationships with other people after shutting yourself away for a long time

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Toalpaz posted:

What the gently caress! they actually die!
I forgot how incredibly good Sabagebu is

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

I forgot how incredibly good Sabagebu is

It's a bunch of assholes constantly getting owned by others and themselves and it is great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also do not confuse it for C3-bu, the other anime about airsoft combat that came out within a year of Sabagebu

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

presenting the brand spanking new glt watch order:

first half of glt manga
girls und panzer
sabagebu
glt anime
second half of manga

what episode of part 2 jojo am i supposed to watch

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Aurora posted:

the ones in mexico

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Movie 1980

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/laffy_traffy/status/1295429573707018241?s=20

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm playing Steins;Gate and holy poo poo this part is making me, if only a little, actually upset (not really spoilers so not bothering)

for context: the protagonist, Okabe, is extremely chuuni. Kurisu, the female lead, doesnt put up with it.

She calls him by his real name, not his made up chuuni one and then he starts loving walking up and menacing her. She's clearly intimidated, stepping back but then holding her ground to tell him he's full of himself and he loving yells at her in a way he probably felt was very dramatic and cool but she starts tearing up. Okabe is confused and she darts away, so he asks his friend why she's upset and is like "well whatever"

:bang:

He's so well characterized as being a total shithead but jesus I hope he doesnt stay like this.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

gently caress yes I love the Deftones. And holy poo poo is that an 8-string guitar??

The only time I saw them live was in 2003 and Chino was so drunk they ended up walking off the stage after 4 songs. This meant Limp Bizkit had more time to play since they followed. I still havnt forgiven them for that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aurora posted:

Vivid Strike

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

gently caress yes I love the Deftones. And holy poo poo is that an 8-string guitar??

The only time I saw them live was in 2003 and Chino was so drunk they ended up walking off the stage after 4 songs. This meant Limp Bizkit had more time to play since they followed. I still havnt forgiven them for that.
It was the Metallica Summer Sanitarium tour, right? Yeah, 2003-2005 were not a good couple of years for the Sacto boys.

I am fairly certain that, in the video at least, he's rocking the same 9-string he posted about like 2 years ago here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Acerbatus posted:

I'm playing Steins;Gate and holy poo poo this part is making me, if only a little, actually upset (not really spoilers so not bothering)

for context: the protagonist, Okabe, is extremely chuuni. Kurisu, the female lead, doesnt put up with it.

She calls him by his real name, not his made up chuuni one and then he starts loving walking up and menacing her. She's clearly intimidated, stepping back but then holding her ground to tell him he's full of himself and he loving yells at her in a way he probably felt was very dramatic and cool but she starts tearing up. Okabe is confused and she darts away, so he asks his friend why she's upset and is like "well whatever"

He's so well characterized as being a total shithead but jesus I hope he doesnt stay like this.

okabe has a decent arc, though i've only watched the anime

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Acerbatus posted:

He doesn't. They just go super ham on his characterization set-up to show the contrast to how he reacts when poo poo hits the fan, and he has to start making life-and-death decisions.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/TomatoGrandpa/status/1297190864717062145

This is entirely correct

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

No.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

labor 2 ftw

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Patlabor 2 is good at its message but bad at being Patlabor

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

patlabor 1 is the best anime movie

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like all Patlabors, besides maybe/probably WXIII.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

patlabor 1 is the best anime movie
The fight scene in the canal is so loving good

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

It absolutely is, yeah.

Patlabor 2 is a loving garbage Patlabor film, independent of it being a very good film.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 22, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

idk what "patlabor" is, when there are like 8 different things called patlabor that are all tonally completely different

well, idk what patlabor is, other than good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

after going through it all again i think the better description is just that 2 does not give you the sv1+2 crew that you've grown to love and expect but it also isn't really about why things are different, because it mainly cares about being an oshii political thriller

the "it's not patlabor" thing is just being pithy about it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Do you need to watch any of Patlabor for context before watching Patlabor 2, or is it fine to jump into it blind? Could serve for a good experiment since I've managed to not see any of the multiple iterations of Patlabor and have no preconceived notions of the setting or characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

these sorts of discussions always just make the series being talked about sound really boring and suffocating as a whole

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

after going through it all again i think the better description is just that 2 does not give you the sv1+2 crew that you've grown to love and expect but it also isn't really about why things are different, because it mainly cares about being an oshii political thriller

the "it's not patlabor" thing is just being pithy about it

The tweet that was posted explicitly calls it a version of Patlabor, which is the opposite of claiming it's "not Patlabor."

Patlabor 2 specifically goes out of its way to cast everything that SV1 is and cares about in a negative light as childish things that they've rightfully outgrown. I don't actually think Oshii meant it this way, but it really feels like a film that was made by someone who hates that Patlabor is a silly show about silly people and wanted to spite that.

Julias posted:

Do you need to watch any of Patlabor for context before watching Patlabor 2, or is it fine to jump into it blind? Could serve for a good experiment since I've managed to not see any of the multiple iterations of Patlabor and have no preconceived notions of the setting or characters.

No, and going in completely blind will also mean you don't have to care about how good or bad it is as a piece of Patlabor media.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 22, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Motto posted:

these sorts of discussions always just make the series being talked about sound really boring and suffocating as a whole

I don't think fans of a thing are obligated to discuss it in a way which makes it sound most interesting to bystanders.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

It was the Metallica Summer Sanitarium tour, right? Yeah, 2003-2005 were not a good couple of years for the Sacto boys.

I am fairly certain that, in the video at least, he's rocking the same 9-string he posted about like 2 years ago here.

Yeah it was the start of the 2003 Summer Sanitarium tour, Toronto was the second date in the tour. Metallica playing almost entirely St.Anger songs sucked almost as much as not getting to hear any White Pony/Deftones songs.

Mudvayne was so loving good for that show though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
patlabor the ova and the movie 1 are fun character-heavy action/comedy. patlabor 2 is an interesting political thriller. this is how i look at patlabor, the ova continuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

virgin 80s anime fan: ugh, this movie is DIFFERENT from the main series, it completely destroys the tone! i hate when people talk about it! even if its a good movie!
chad 2000s anime fan: lol zoro makes funny faces in island of baron omatsuri