Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I still prefer the explanation that Aucturia is just a human colony with a reputation for sex work and not being strict gender conformists; a space Bankok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The marines specifically mention Arcturian? poon tang and how gender doesn’t matter. So I figure they’ve run into non humans before. The inquiry lady mentions that the xeno is unlike any life form discovered on over 400 surveyed worlds, not “we’ve never found a life form”.

I watched Event Horizon for the first time in ages, and I have to ask, could Laurence Fishburne ever act?

I was listening to a Quentin Tarentino interview on a podcast & he almost cast Lawrence Fishburne as Jules.

Let that sink in.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was listening to a Quentin Tarentino interview on a podcast & he almost cast Lawrence Fishburne as Jules.

Let that sink in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA8FK62EMho

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The marines specifically mention Arcturian? poon tang and how gender doesn’t matter. So I figure they’ve run into non humans before. The inquiry lady mentions that the xeno is unlike any life form discovered on over 400 surveyed worlds, not “we’ve never found a life form”.

I watched Event Horizon for the first time in ages, and I have to ask, could Laurence Fishburne ever act?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YObV6i_Yc

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Let that sink in.

Yeah I loved Event Horizon, I just thought that LF was doing a younger, off brand Morpheus.

Although I started watching Hannibal (TV series) and he’s good in that.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yeah I loved Event Horizon, I just thought that LF was doing a younger, off brand Morpheus.

Although I started watching Hannibal (TV series) and he’s good in that.

Which is saying a lot because everyone in that show does an exceptional job. Probably his strongest role for sure.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
He plays a decent weirdo in Predators.

Also a goon posted this in a discord chat and I thought it was cute.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

I still prefer the explanation that Aucturia is just a human colony with a reputation for sex work and not being strict gender conformists; a space Bankok.

Someone posted what they look like in the CineD thread.

david_a posted:

So uh I was browsing around a Star Trek site and I found out that The Motion Picture had Arcturians in it

I can see now why the gender doesn’t matter

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ruddiger posted:

Someone posted what they look like in the CineD thread.
That's the after shot. I guess marines are on the very bad steroids.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So my city was being destroyed the past few days but I guess it's been fine for a bit. I'm drinking a ton and watching Starship Troopers now.

I can't describe how much I love the Klendathu Drop. It's just so perfect and emotional. Super emotional to me. That scene, that stupid scene in a movie, has made me make a life changing decision to join the Marine Corps. The terror, the camaraderie, the readiness, anticipation, the unknown. Dumb poo poo a 17 year old (and a 37 year old) find very moving.

God drat I love this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rx8_vjbXX4

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been thinking about Hicks' tone of voice when he sees the colony reactor venting, and

*sigh* "How long until it blows?"

Like he just jams so much FML energy into that line, I feel it every time things go fucky at work.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That scene, that stupid scene in a movie, has made me make a life changing decision to join the Marine Corps. The terror, the camaraderie, the readiness, anticipation, the unknown. Dumb poo poo a 17 year old (and a 37 year old) find very moving.

drat that's pretty crazy. But honestly where's the Thinking About Starship Troopers thread

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've been thinking about Hicks' tone of voice when he sees the colony reactor venting, and

*sigh* "How long until it blows?"

Like he just jams so much FML energy into that line, I feel it every time things go fucky at work.

This scene, and a scene from the first Conan film with Arnold where a bad guy sees Conan at the end of the film and just goes "You.." are masterpieces of tone and delivery.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"I've got to go score some steroids" at the end of Running Man isn't bad.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

So my city was being destroyed the past few days but I guess it's been fine for a bit. I'm drinking a ton and watching Starship Troopers now.

I can't describe how much I love the Klendathu Drop. It's just so perfect and emotional. Super emotional to me. That scene, that stupid scene in a movie, has made me make a life changing decision to join the Marine Corps. The terror, the camaraderie, the readiness, anticipation, the unknown. Dumb poo poo a 17 year old (and a 37 year old) find very moving.

It really is a top notch scene, I especially love the music and the casual speech their co gives. Yeah we're going in with first wave, just means more bugs for us to kill.

Also the weirdly feral bite the one dude does.

I've linked it before, but it also has my favourite trailer ever.

https://youtu.be/Yh8qd0VKPAE

I rember seeing it and being WELP, guess I'm going to the movies today!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

lol i remember that song 2 trailer in theaters before independence day and thinking it looked goofy, not realizing it was by the director of my all time favorite film

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol i remember that song 2 trailer in theaters before independence day and thinking it looked goofy, not realizing it was by the director of my all time favorite film
Well the trailer identifies the director as being the guy who made Robocop and Total Recall, so is your favorite movie... Showgirls?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Well the trailer identifies the director as being the guy who made Robocop and Total Recall, so is your favorite movie... Showgirls?

Flesh and Blood, obviously.

IDK maybe I missed that card because i was goofing with my teen pals.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

drat that's pretty crazy. But honestly where's the Thinking About Starship Troopers thread

It's right here.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

if i were the federation i would simply exploit my technological advantage to leverage a standoff bombardment strategy, or at least use combined arms instead of completely unsupported infantry

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's almost like they don't want to win

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Owlbear Camus posted:

if i were the federation i would simply exploit my technological advantage to leverage a standoff bombardment strategy, or at least use combined arms instead of completely unsupported infantry

I love that their first assault was so primal.

Just uh... throw like a million bodies at them. We'll overwhelm them. Trust me, it'll work.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Check out my fuckin beat-up Alien Stompers. I have a hole in my shoe and it bums me out because if these were in better condition they apparently would be worth over 500 dollars.

Whatever, I love em.

Edit looks like my lovely Obamaphone can't upload it. I'm sorry thread I love u

TWIST EDIT I'm on this houses wifi now, let's seeee

Edit sick it worked!

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 28, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They remind me of that medical boot you have to wear if you gently caress your foot up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wiah I had some rad shoes :smith:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They remind me of that medical boot you have to wear if you gently caress your foot up.

I actually just graduated out of it. I found that when I wore it in public and was clomping around, people treated me as if I was a late-stage cancer patient and were super nice

But I still wore a solo Alien Stomper and am happy to have them plural again. That's my story about my broken foot, thank u for reading

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The score by Basil Poledouris was top notch.

Really does make me think about similar to Aliens how the space marines go with a high degree of over-confidence before they get completely wrecked, torn to pieces and outwitted by their insect like opponents.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like that Starship Troopers made Cameron kinda pissy (he thought he made the superior ST adaptation with Aliens and is quoted in an interview asking why Verhoeven even bothered).

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I also love the guy that lost his loving mind and was hiding.

*exasperatedly "Pick up the general."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I like that Starship Troopers made Cameron kinda pissy (he thought he made the superior ST adaptation with Aliens and is quoted in an interview asking why Verhoeven even bothered).

It's hilarious how the amazing satirical elements are all because Verhoeven didn't actually read the whole book and decided to go off to do his own artistic vision for Starship Troopers.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

etalian posted:

The score by Basil Poledouris was top notch.

The score is what does it. I get goosebumps when I hear it.

I also love the guy that lost his loving mind and was hiding.

*exasperatedly "Pick up the general."

Why don't you just kill me?! *cocks gun*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like the film's slapstick moments like the unhinged general being crushed by the shot up flyer bug.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

who needs a knife in a nuke fight?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Happy Judgment Day, y'all.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The score is what does it. I get goosebumps when I hear it.

Why don't you just kill me?! *cocks gun*

Michael Ironside's inclusion adds such a shitload of gravitas and believability opposite the soap operaish main cast.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

who needs a knife in a nuke fight?

Private, put yer hand on that wall

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Michael Ironside's inclusion adds such a shitload of gravitas and believability opposite the soap operaish main cast.

He also continues his characters pattern of limb trauma like his role with Arnold in Total Recall.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Script idea: wormhole switches the squads from aliens and starship troopers

What would Clancy brown do to hudson?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Phi230 posted:

Private, put yer hand on that wall

Medic!

That DI is just awesome. I love Clancy Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Medic!

That DI is just awesome. I love Clancy Brown.

He was incredible in Carnivale. I just finished it a few weeks ago, great show.