Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Lone Badger posted:

It's probably a goat wearing a disguise.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Methinks the stealth gameplay was a bit of an afterthought here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_EhPBEaSM

Mad Max is kind of a glitchy game, but at least the glitches are charming. :allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yup, that sure was a sentry. You can tell by the distinctive crunching noise.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

More Hitman, found this on Reddit (sound on):

https://i.imgur.com/V74ZXUZ.mp4

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I don’t blame Superman for not wanting to get shot in the dick either.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Looks like Team Rocket's blasting off again!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Flight Simulator uses real world Bing data and can be a bit iffy.

Photo of a plane as a part of the terrain

Non-horizontal water

Lake with elevation much higher than the surrounding land

Tower of Doom

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/08/microsoft-flight-simulator-added-a-giant-monolith-to-melbourne/
https://www.engadget.com/flight-simulator-open-street-map-building-205545509.html

quote:

About a year ago, a user named “nathanwright120” added a tag that said this one building in Melbourne had 212 floors instead of two. Based on their other contributions, it appears the edit was a simple typo, not them trying to mislead anyone.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Aug 22, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I love the accidental tower of doom. Fact-checking? What is fact-checking?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Cardiovorax posted:

I love the accidental tower of doom. Fact-checking? What is fact-checking?

Have fun fact checking every building in Melbourne and then all the rest of the world :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the sheer scope of the game means that stuff is gonna slip through. I'm sure they have a horde of folks tracking down and fixing bugs now that they have a big enough QA team (a.k.a. the customers) to actually find and report these issues.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

Have fun fact checking every building in Melbourne and then all the rest of the world :v:
Point, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to write a script that searches for outliers. Average out the height the surrounding buildings and if you find one that is inexplicably three or more times higher than the next closest one, ping a human. It would catch this kind of thing, at least.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That kind of issues are probably good for marketing, since people post about them and spend time trying to find something wacky.

Pretty much like Skyrim around the release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgUm8VEWiU&t=30s

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Said it in the small gaming things thread, but Neon Abyss. The game is in full release but full of bugs, which is a problem I'm sure for many games since early access is more or less a myth now and games come out totally unfinished all the time.

But the bug that I'm aware of and is really funny breaks the game in a good way. There's all these mini game rooms in Neon Abyss, most cost money and you only get 3 or so attempts, which will get you items if you do the challgene successfully. Well on challenge turns out to be the easiest mini game, and broken because it lets you just keep playing it forever and keep getting items even if you screw up...the Meditation mini game.

Turns out someone figured out how to fix it, requires turning on Vsync, and suddenly no more problem.

Was kind of hoping they don't fix it though, because I watched a dude get about 50 items out if before they got bored and were so over powered they killed all the last bosses in one cycle lol.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cardiovorax posted:

Point, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to write a script that searches for outliers. Average out the height the surrounding buildings and if you find one that is inexplicably three or more times higher than the next closest one, ping a human. It would catch this kind of thing, at least.

I'm kinda sad, because I like the goofier geometry fuckups. If there was a way to fix the meaningful issues while leaving in accidental megatowers and such, I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fact checking is what the flight simmers are doing right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft starts selling the 3d geodata commercially 5 years after Flight Sim nerds have smoothed it all out :tinfoil:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kennel posted:

That kind of issues are probably good for marketing, since people post about them and spend time trying to find something wacky.

Pretty much like Skyrim around the release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgUm8VEWiU&t=30s

That's still in Skyrim. IIRC the devs thought it was so funny that they left it in intentionally. It usually doesn't cause any issues anyway.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, they way the engine handles overkill is that it just turns damage over what us necessary to kill the target into game physics energy.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah, they way the engine handles overkill is that it just turns damage over what us necessary to kill the target into game physics energy.

Personally I loved the (related?) bug where dragon skeletons would go flying if you zapped them with a spell, made clean up so much easier after the fight rather than leaving the things draped all over town.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
not sure where else to put this but it made me laugh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
LMAO gently caress.

It's literally just never a good idea to buy the highest end poo poo ever.

I am still running on an Intel 3960x that I bought in early 2012.

I could've bought several slightly cheaper Computers buying much cheaper secondhand poo poo or even just old inventory getting priced down, and has been how I have upgraded.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm using a coleco adam to shitpost and i'm posting in typewriter mode so I have a hardcopy of everything

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LifeSunDeath posted:

not sure where else to put this but it made me laugh:

https://www.pcgamer.com/explaining-our-rtx-head-to-head-and-where-we-missed-the-mark/

The response must have been really bad if they had to completely change the headline twice. I've seen PC Gamer do the thing where they release an article with the pros and an article with the cons at the same time. It's clickbait, they clearly hope to lure people in with a sensational headline and then have them see that there is also an other article that validates their opinion.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I've seen the "raytracing is a scam" and "actually, you paid for insane performance not raytracing" posted on the same drat day on PC Gamer.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All three of those were posted on the same day and are, in fact, the same article with multiple edits

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sakai would you quit it I am trying to eavesdrop here

https://i.imgur.com/OEsR2vT.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

Sakai would you quit it I am trying to eavesdrop here

https://i.imgur.com/OEsR2vT.mp4

This is syncing up to the music I have on now, and I think it's a feature not a bug.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Raytracing is probably the least effective way to make anything algorithm-wise for live 3D graphics; it looks cool on still images because it literally models how light particles work, but absolutely murders anything real time that is beyond resolution of a potato-based system.

This has been a know issue in computer science since the 90's, so 30 years later here we are with the general public.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

There's a YT channel called "Let's Game it Out" where the guy does a lot of goofing off by messing around to the break point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV0PAyP0laA
Here he's playing Sim Airport and seeing how messed up he can make the airport.

I think this is relevant enough to crossquote, this is a fun video in what turns out to be a really entertaining channel, I've just had it running since I watched the airport one. The Cooking Simulator one is making me laugh constantly, it looks like a fun system just to mess around with - not to mention the way he figures out to glitch himself outside the shop (sequentially opening kitchen drawers the wrong way :ssh:) before exploding dozens of propane canisters inside it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think this is relevant enough to crossquote, this is a fun video in what turns out to be a really entertaining channel, I've just had it running since I watched the airport one. The Cooking Simulator one is making me laugh constantly, it looks like a fun system just to mess around with - not to mention the way he figures out to glitch himself outside the shop (sequentially opening kitchen drawers the wrong way :ssh:) before exploding dozens of propane canisters inside it.

Be sure to watch the Satisfactory videos. Let's Game It Out is one of the few genuinely good Let's Play type channels and he puts a lot of effort into abusing every game he plays.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh my god the Planet Coaster video is the best iteration of goofing around with a terror park I've ever seen. Imagine thousands of people constantly being fired out of a thousand foot shotgun and falling through a skyscraper-sized basketball hoop into a volcano, where they jump around in excitement about what fun they're having. It's positively majestic :aaaaa:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Raytracing is probably the least effective way to make anything algorithm-wise for live 3D graphics; it looks cool on still images because it literally models how light particles work, but absolutely murders anything real time that is beyond resolution of a potato-based system.

This has been a know issue in computer science since the 90's, so 30 years later here we are with the general public.

It's like 3d graphics. They're just too slow to be feasible. Stick to raycasting if you want your games to run on an average system.

Raytracing still has a long way to go but so did 3d graphics in the beginning. And the results do look pretty awesome when done right. Just needs more powerful hardware still.

Edit:
Check out that dude's satisfactory videos. I love that he is willing to spend 10s of hours building goofy poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Raytracing is probably the least effective way to make anything algorithm-wise for live 3D graphics; it looks cool on still images because it literally models how light particles work
Do you mean that literally, as in, it would actually be possible to simulate a double-slit experiment with a raytracing engine? Because then I think I really haven't been giving the technology the credit it deserves.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cardiovorax posted:

Do you mean that literally, as in, it would actually be possible to simulate a double-slit experiment with a raytracing engine? Because then I think I really haven't been giving the technology the credit it deserves.

I'd love to see the bugs that happen from that simulation.

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Der Kyhe posted:

To add to what Minnesota Mixup said, 30 years ago no one was expecting consumer video cards to have over 1000 cores, let alone any cores dedicated to approximate raytracing, or denoising and upscaling algorithms for the output of that raytracing. Hell, 20 years ago all you really had was vertex buffers, textures, and if you're feeling fancy, hardware handling of simple lighting and a few kinds of light-related mapping. Less than a decade later, we had shaders, realtime dynamic lighting capable of interacting with transparencies, hardware tessellation and handling of displacement mapping, etc. I still remember when Oblivion had HDR lighting and that was just about the sickest thing ever, even if you couldn't have it enabled alongside anti-aliasing.

We have come an astonishingly long way in terms of realtime graphics, and realtime raytracing really is here. It's not a scam, even if it does cost like 2 grand to make ~5 AAA titles (and Minecraft/Quake II) look really nice. Even if a lot of cheating is going on to achieve it, it's still better looking and more accurate than more or less any other method out there for lighting and reflections, and Nvidia has made it surprisingly easy to implement.

Cardiovorax posted:

Unfortunately, no, not really. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that experiment works due to light having a frequency and being sort of wave-like, which absolutely isn't simulated in computer graphics. To raycasting engines, light is a straight, simple line.

e: actually, poo poo, I guess you could, but it'd take a very specialized renderer, likely be many magnitudes slower than even normal raytracing, and god (or at least someone much, much smarter than me) knows how you'd even implement it.

dreamin of semen has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Aug 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dreamin of semen posted:

Unfortunately, no, not really. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that experiment works due to light having a frequency and being sort of wave-like, which absolutely isn't simulated in computer graphics. To raycasting engines, light is a straight, simple line.

e: actually, poo poo, I guess you could, but it'd take a very specialized renderer, likely be many magnitudes slower than even normal raytracing, and god (or at least someone much, much smarter than me) knows how you'd even implement it.
Alright then. Yeah, it's definitely something you can simulate, but it would've really surprised me to hear that raytracing actually does that. The whole "it literally models how light particles work" phrasing just made me wonder.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you wanted to accurately simulate the way light works down to the individual photons using a physics engine, you'd need to model it that it works as a particle, but then hack it to work like a waveform to make different colours and frequencies.

That would work 99.999% of the time, you'd only have a problem if a player looked really, really closely and tried to catch it acting like both at the same tiMOTHERFUCKER IS THIS HOW I FIND OUT I'M LIVING IN A SIMULATION

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The true failing of Enter the Matrix

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

If you wanted to accurately simulate the way light works down to the individual photons using a physics engine, you'd need to model it that it works as a particle, but then hack it to work like a waveform to make different colours and frequencies.

That would work 99.999% of the time, you'd only have a problem if a player looked really, really closely and tried to catch it acting like both at the same tiMOTHERFUCKER IS THIS HOW I FIND OUT I'M LIVING IN A SIMULATION

There are other corner cases in physics simulation, like where you're storing velocity as a signed 64-bit value which means it's impossible to exceed a certain maximum velocity even if you keep accelerating.
(QA caught that, but the devs said "the current max value is way higher than anyone's ever going to be able to achieve in play, stop worrying")

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright then. Yeah, it's definitely something you can simulate, but it would've really surprised me to hear that raytracing actually does that. The whole "it literally models how light particles work" phrasing just made me wonder.

Yeah, slightly confusing wording, though not super incorrect. Like all computer graphics, raytracing is an ocean of approximations. A bunch of photons in a row IRL could be considered a ray of particles, for example, but it'd be oustandingly slow to model every single particle and pointless because they're moving so fast, so a line through space it is. Gets the job done at 1/1,000,000th of the cost, is accurate enough 99% of the time, and we're closing that 1% gap really slowly with cool stuff like subsurface scattering, which is also approximate but good enough to be like "drat that floating bald keanu head looks like real life".

RandomFerret posted:

my condolences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

There are other corner cases in physics simulation, like where you're storing velocity as a signed 64-bit value which means it's impossible to exceed a certain maximum velocity even if you keep accelerating.
What kind of unit were you using for velocity that the physics simulation could hit the maximum value for a signed 64-bit integer without already having reached the speed of light and refusing to accelerate any further anyway?