Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

When Everquest experimented with this you would be thrown into a random newbie zone monster. But aside from being able to attack players, you could also attack the other NPC newbie monsters. And you got experience off them, and could level up. So if you had the patience, you could be a level 8 or 9 rat or decaying skeleton or whatever in a zone intended for level 1-5 players.

I wonder why they abandoned that project

Project M! I don't think it ever made it off the test server but I do remember people being unable to react to monsters that can joust

for people that aren't dumb like me, "jousting" in the context of EverQuest was the poor-mans pvp strategy of running up to a guy, turning on auto-attack to get a swing off, turning it back off then running away for a few seconds so you aren't getting whacked while your swing timer resets, in normal pvp back in the day this meant you could kill dudes way more geared than you with basically garbage as long as you bothered to go find a Weighted Axe. at the time this was the slowest weapon in the universe and was essentially a vendor-trash drop from like a level 40 outdoor zone but because it swung once every 15 seconds or something it had pretty high damage potential when a swing finally connected, allowing you to just take chunks off of a guys health bar while running around like a maniac

to provide some numbers, the Weighted Axe had a weapon damage of 45 which is really good for the era, I think the only comparable buyable weapon damage came from the Argent Protector at 43 which was a super-expensive raid drop versus the axe that you could buy for a fraction of a fraction of that (but the argent protector was also considerably faster, so it was actually a worthwhile purchase for killing stuff)

now enter Project M, you're a decaying skeleton now and you have extremely low hp but you're fighting people with basically zero armor who also regenerate hp very slowly, run up to a guy who's at half health and give him a good whack as soon as he sits down then run and hide, you can completely ruin his leveling efforts indefinitely if you're crafty about it because every time you punch him while he's sitting, that's going to take minutes for him to recover from. just don't get too close to the guards or you're now a stack of bone chips

edit: I also think the "bonus damage" value of a weapon was a direct function of its swing speed, so the weighted axe had big piles of bonus damage added on top of the 45 base weapon damage (eq math is bananas)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

while i'm internet I would like to follow up on my everquest post with a second everquest post - here is how they calculated how hard your sword swords for (hopefully I remember all of this correctly)

EQ is a strange game, under the hood it's actually heavily inspired by D20 pen&paper rpgs but it's gone through several obfuscation layers because they didn't want people to be able to easily math things out

here's how damage is calculated when you swing a sword: there are two knobs for your outgoing damage, there's Damage Interval (DI) and Damage Bonus (DB), Damage Interval is a value that scales up 20 times to simulate rolling a D20 so if your DI is 5 and your opponent rolls a 1, it does 5 damage, but if they roll a 20 you do 100 damage. Now the Damage Bonus gets tacked on the end as a flat value, so if you have a DI of 5 and a DB of 1 and they roll a 1 you do 6 damage vs a roll of 20 dealing 101 damage. simple enough? here's where poo poo gets weird

so now you're probably thinking "what about armor?" to which I respond "gently caress this is gonna be complicated" but the best way I can simplify this is that increasing your Armor Class reduces the likelihood that an attacker will roll a high DI value instead of directly reducing incoming damage. it's a little more complicated than this but this is the most effort i'm willing to put into this stage of smoothing out everyone's brains

to add some fun to the mix, your character-sheet AC for many years was 100% wrong and this was for two reasons:
-obfuscation to confuse players
-Agility raised your AC on your character sheet but the AC provided did not function

thanks for watching please hammer that unsubscribe button and submit a chargeback for my patreon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The best armor appearance system ever made was from RIFT. You wore your armor for stats, but had a second paper do that showed up cosmetically. Wear your mash up of whatever you want for mechanics purposes, but you had total control over your appearance with no penalties or restrictions. So simple, but nobody else does it that way.

The Secret World was like this. Your gear stats came from equipping 'talismans' to your various chakra points, and then as a completely seperate mechanic you could buy and wear clothes. Talismans had no visual representation, clothes had no game effect.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Lone Badger posted:

The Secret World was like this. Your gear stats came from equipping 'talismans' to your various chakra points, and then as a completely seperate mechanic you could buy and wear clothes. Talismans had no visual representation, clothes had no game effect.

lol if you didn't illuminati and lol if you didn't bodyguard's suit

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
In Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, there’s an area where you need to surf or fly to leave at a certain point in the game. A player tried to create an unwinnable situation by going to this area while having only one Pokémon with a non-combat move, and the developers actually thought of that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=H73ESn6VYvI

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SiKboy posted:

Eh. After seeing countless trolling videos over the years I really cant see the attraction of having enemies in ostensibly single player games controlled by other human players. Thrill as the enemy you need to kill to progress runs and hides forcing you to scour the entire level for them! Marvel as the low level minion kills you for the fifteenth time because the person playing them has put 1000 hours into the game and is making a "lol I gank newbs" video and you've only just done the tutorial! I think I'm personally good without that, thanks all the same.

This also makes me think of Left4Dead's versus mode, which has so many specific rules, restrictions, and other cruft to make the game remotely fair to the point that it was never appealing to me at all. It's impossible to ensure players will act appropriately, so it has to be contorted into this weird competitive thing instead.

And then Turtle Rock made Evolve, which shared another core problem which is that if your game hinges around a group of boring rear end humans doing boring rear end human stuff VS cool monsters, then almost everyone will want to play as the monsters 100% of the time.

Please stop making asymmetrical games about cool monsters vs boring humans and start making more games where you just play as a cool monster, period.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kitfox88 posted:

lol if you didn't illuminati and lol if you didn't bodyguard's suit

Unicorn mask supremacy

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

John Murdoch posted:

And then Turtle Rock made Evolve, which shared another core problem which is that if your game hinges around a group of boring rear end humans doing boring rear end human stuff VS cool monsters, then almost everyone will want to play as the monsters 100% of the time.

This is why I bounced off Dead By Daylight, I wish they could add more objectives than 'generators'. Please, more variety than just hiding from people in different ways, you were so close

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

In Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, there’s an area where you need to surf or fly to leave at a certain point in the game. A player tried to create an unwinnable situation by going to this area while having only one Pokémon with a non-combat move, and the developers actually thought of that.

I love poo poo like this that only pops up for folks who’d basically go out of their way to make it happen :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Ruby/Sapphire had a similar problem where if you lucked out and caught a Ralts with Teleport and used it to return to one island you could only access in early game via a dude with a boat, you'd softlocked yourself because he wouldn't be there to pick you up. Not sure if the remakes fixed that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, Ruby/Sapphire had a similar problem where if you lucked out and caught a Ralts with Teleport and used it to return to one island you could only access in early game via a dude with a boat, you'd softlocked yourself because he wouldn't be there to pick you up. Not sure if the remakes fixed that.

Platinum got released the year before Heart Gold and Soul Silver and it did have a softlock scenario. Maybe that is the scenario that made them look out for such issues in future games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rbS-l1SHgc

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is something that good beta/QA testers will look for and pick up on. I used to make mods and my testers infuriated me by doing insane stuff and going "hey, I broke the game doing this" because while the tempting reply is "just don't do it then no normal person will do that" that's not really in the spirit of the thing

(Obviously testers for an entire actual game will have more pressing concerns, so the Pokémon example is still v impressive)

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Aug 27, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Star Control 2 is an old space exploration game. At the start of the game you get dropped off in Sol system (a.k.a. where Earth is) and are expected to go help out the starbase there before you go out into the rest of the galaxy. There's a number of ways the game encourages you to do this -- your starting ship is very slow and has minimal maneuverability, low fuel, and no combat ability...and random encounters in the greater galaxy are amped way the hell up. However, you can, if you're really determined, go pick up a free combat ship off of Pluto (with all of 1 HP) and then say sayonara to Sol system and get on out into the galaxy. It'll take ages to get anywhere, you'll be constantly fending off random encounters with that one ship, and you'll be repeatedly running out of fuel -- fortunately the game also has a rescue system where a friendly alien will stop by to sell you fuel, or just give it to you if you have no money, which you won't. Practical upshot is, it is possible to skip saving Sol system.

Much, much later in the game you're teleported back to Sol after completing all the preparations for taking on the final boss. It then crashes if you haven't actually helped out the starbase. :smith:

I know about this because I know one of the devs of the fan port, The Ur-Quan Masters. Something like 20 years after the original game came out, they got a bug report detailing the crash and had to come up with a fix -- after they finished staring dumbfounded at their computer screen.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

neck *rope*

I like invasions in game where I can invade and just run around doing everything but antagonizing the other player. Silly emotes, pushing enemies around, that kind of stuff. Bonus if they happen to die while I'm there and I get a bonus.

This reminds me of ghosts in the P&P RPG Reign.

To discourage wanton killing by the PCs in game, ghosts are made by killing someone in a way that they can't reasonably defend themselves, and people get haunted by the ghosts of those they kill so long as the gost can recognize them.

Ghosts, being in corporeal, can't affect the material world. What they can do, though, is scream.

About their killer's crimes, or insults, or just screaming incoherently.

All day and night.

Without stopping for breath.

Without stopping for anything.

Reign had good fun trolling the worst of P&P players, too. The world's population was majority black, with the only white people being tribes if werewolves living on the literal rear end end of the world, and there was no male cavalry because everyone in the world knows that men riding horses astride leads to impotence, so all men ride side saddle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is something that good beta/QA testers will look for and pick up on. I used to make mods and my testers infuriated me by doing insane stuff and going "hey, I broke the game doing this" because while the tempting reply is "just don't do it then no normal person will do that" that's not really in the spirit of the thing

(Obviously testers for an entire actual game will have more pressing concerns, so the Pokémon example is still v impressive)

Pokemon's also a neat example, because they have a lot of moving parts and a number of opportunities to reiterate. Therre's a guy on Youtube, Pikasprey, who has a whole series about both finding esoteric softlock scenarios, and finding his way out of them. My favorite is the one where he makes a softlock that would take most of a year to get out, which he does on the Japanese Crystal version mostly just to gently caress even harder with someone who tries to get out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_3yOTN78w

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Way back in the early days of Dark Souls 2, I was having fun in the Rat Covenant which forcibly pulls other players into your personal dungeon gauntlet in a couple of specific areas of the game. One guy ended up in my dungeon three times somehow, so the third time I just went about killing my own monsters for him and showing him shortcuts around my traps so he could just finally clear the drat level. He sent me a message telling me he had my IP address and was going to kill my family, and that was the closest I've ever come to making a friend online.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Way back in the early days of Dark Souls 2, I was having fun in the Rat Covenant which forcibly pulls other players into your personal dungeon gauntlet in a couple of specific areas of the game. One guy ended up in my dungeon three times somehow, so the third time I just went about killing my own monsters for him and showing him shortcuts around my traps so he could just finally clear the drat level. He sent me a message telling me he had my IP address and was going to kill my family, and that was the closest I've ever come to making a friend online.
dude you met irl lautrec

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SkeletonHero posted:

I got a voice message once with an invite to a red dead multiplayer match.

*in an extremely funny intentional yokel cowboy voice*

“Well wee howdy! You wonky eyed gently caress! Lets play red dead!”.

Never even knew who the guy was but i kept that message for ages and it always made me laugh.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

CHOWDER MAN, PLEASE COME BACK HOME

i will never tire of the first 10-30 seconds of "ready to shave", and i hope gil finishes his analysis of it in the updated version

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So warframe updated with a new open world, the lovely cambion drift (very nice, has mutant foxes) but a little touch it took me a bit to get is that all the ores are named after monstrous, demonic, or occult things. Off the top of my head theres bapholite, dagonic, tiametrite, and thaumic.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a word censor filter that results in people who put 'Knight' in their name showing up as 'K***ht' in multiplayer. For obvious reasons. I don't know if this counts as a little thing but I laugh every time because of how unsophisticated of a system it must be to result in that.

edit: The full list of banned words is truly wonderful to behold. Goatse, tubgirl and lemonparty feature on it.

I wish these all had numbers next to them, I want to see how many times the filter for knobjockey got triggered.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

SkeletonHero posted:

Once while co-oping Dark Souls 2 with a couple of buddies, we got the message that we'd been invaded. We were in that hallway with the mushrooms right before the I think shrine of Amala, so we kinda just chilled there until we saw he was further along. We intentionally hadn't killed the giant mushroom that blocks the path, so with it between us I ate a Seed Of The Tree Of Giants. Then all his equipment broke and he ran off and disconnected. The three of us basically hit the floor laughing at this guy.

I got a message later asking how I'd hacked him on the PS3.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I once summoned a character named **ly K***ht in dark souls 2 which seemed so on the nose it had to have been poking fun at the censor, gave me a chuckle

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Iirc it was impossible to trade the Pokemon Cofagrigus when it was first introduced, because its name would set off the profanity filter (Co***rigus)

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Battlefield 5’s profanity filter which would do all of that but somehow still allowed people to drop the N word with a hard R multiple times a game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's a YT channel called "Let's Game it Out" where the guy does a lot of goofing off by messing around to the break point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV0PAyP0laA
Here he's playing Sim Airport and seeing how messed up he can make the airport.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

haveblue posted:

The only good invader is PizzaLawyer420

But seriously, invasions suck and I hate them

I loved invasions in ds3 but only on release.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Let’s Game It Out is great for that yeah. His satisfactory videos are either great or awful depending on how neat you prefer your bases to be

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon's also a neat example, because they have a lot of moving parts and a number of opportunities to reiterate. Therre's a guy on Youtube, Pikasprey, who has a whole series about both finding esoteric softlock scenarios, and finding his way out of them. My favorite is the one where he makes a softlock that would take most of a year to get out, which he does on the Japanese Crystal version mostly just to gently caress even harder with someone who tries to get out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_3yOTN78w

Lmao that's so nerdy and evil, I love it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

muscles like this! posted:

There's a YT channel called "Let's Game it Out" where the guy does a lot of goofing off by messing around to the break point.

Is this by the same as the prison architect devs?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s a good channel but his background music loop has a car horn or some other sound effect in it as part of the loop and it’s goddamn unlistenable to me on headphones.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:lmao: Three minutes in and it's already a pro-click. Was not expecting the first decision to be having a million workmen stream in from an endless line of buses to help with construction.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sorry for the double-post, but I felt it was important to let folks know if you rescue Toad in Luigi's Mansion 3 and wonder whether you could grab him with your vacuum, then fire him in the air to comically ricochet around the room: you can

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Battlefield 5’s profanity filter which would do all of that but somehow still allowed people to drop the N word with a hard R multiple times a game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3634950&pagenumber=1060&perpage=40#post492448794

post from our twin thread

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

:lmao: Three minutes in and it's already a pro-click. Was not expecting the first decision to be having a million workmen stream in from an endless line of buses to help with construction.

I highly recommend his Planet Zoo videos because things go just a tad dark in them (The Planet Coaster one is amazing too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19JYOVPmwDM

All his videos since what seems to be a focus-shift from regular Let's Plays a year or two back are amazing, because the main conceit is "how can I succeed while doing literally everything wrong?" Or just good old "Can I do A Thing? Oh I can! ...How can I abuse this?..."

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Aug 28, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls 2 has a word censor filter that results in people who put 'Knight' in their name showing up as 'K***ht' in multiplayer. For obvious reasons. I don't know if this counts as a little thing but I laugh every time because of how unsophisticated of a system it must be to result in that.

edit: The full list of banned words is truly wonderful to behold. Goatse, tubgirl and lemonparty feature on it.

I'm Cleveland

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BE NOT AFRAID

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gann Jerrod posted:

I saw this on Twitter, apparently it’s there in the remakes to fix the soft lock that would actually happen in GSC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Riatsala posted:

Lmao that's so nerdy and evil, I love it

His latest one was less a softlock and more just emotional torture: trapping the player with nothing but a shiny Poliwhirl, who can't learn moves they need to progress, in a city where you can trade a Poliwhirl for a Jynx that can learn moves needed to progress. But the Jynx won't be shiny.

He turns ruining Pokemon into performance art, honestly.