Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Catpetter posted:

The classic:

I have never seen this thing, but I'm not surprised that other scholars are reaching the same conclusion.

If I'm understanding the unaltered portions correctly, kender are terminally chipper libertarians.

edit:

Here's a cartoon about a plot point I only vaguely remember now that I'm seeing this cartoon. Dude's partner turns out to be a dragon. We've all been there... haha! Right?

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Internetjack posted:

I was just remembering one of the fanfic spinoff books.

It was some dwarf that didn't really hang out under the mountain with other dwarves. A weirdo outcast of a dwarf, plied his trade and traveled the countryside.
Book starts with him getting waylaid, robbed and beaten I think. Left naked in the wild with nothing. Zero poo poo to his name.

First thing he does beyond basic water and eating some stuff is to build a crude forge. Piles up a bunch of rocks, gathers wood to burn a coal fire. Makes a rough crucible and finds some ore on the mountain and makes the head to a hammer. The next thing he does with his crude hammer is to make a better forge and crucible and forge a better hammer. A stronger tool and weapon. Then he kills a mountain lion that has been stalking him and uses its fangs to make a pair of daggers, skins it to make some crude clothing, and eats the thing.

Like a month in and this fucker has food, clothing and weapons, and is just building his life one bit at a time from the ground up. Some other character comes along and comments, if you were just left alone you would slowly build a kingdom; and he's like "probably?" It was a cool prepper/survivalist story. He meets a gnome with a flying machine and story continues on, blahblahblah, horrible writing continues, but that dude rebuilding his life from scratch was cool as heck.

"For years you have been asking who is a Gully Dwarf..."

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Huma was a pretty okay duder, classic knight hero that defeats a big evil plagues the world plus he claps them silver dragon cheeks iirc.

Edit: Oh this was that Elf whatshisface in the OT.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 22, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

A) Hating the name "Fistandantilus", just a trash name

Fistandantilus

He's the Sauron of Krynn, but look at his name. Fistandantilus. Good ol' Fistin' Dan.

Surely he must have a nickname? One that's not so generic even a 13-year-old who posts dark ambient songs to YouTube wouldn't use it?

Respectively: yes; no.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Missed an opportunity not going with "Dark Fister" if you ask me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
R.A. Salvatore (the writer of all the Drizzt books) and I used to frequent the same mall so I have a bunch of poo poo signed. One day he was doing a signing thing at Waldenbooks and he got into an argument with my friend because my friend told him he was wrong about when his own book was coming out.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i didnt knoa dragonlance was based on a game

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it’s the reeking cloud of rotten nerd fetishes that really makes the whole mess even more classy

wow woah BIG titty fight grrl and a race of thieves who look like perpetual children (??!) WOAH hot ogres who are so sexy!! Wait we need more pedophiles how about a prequel book with an elf who is a young girl perpetually and can’t grow up

fuckin’ skin crawl creepshow as the author masturbates over including their ERP masterpieces in a generic D&D romp

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

OP has a Plymouth Voyager with this bumper-sticker. This is the only thing that explains the hostility.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

hell astro course posted:

OP has a Plymouth Voyager with this bumper-sticker. This is the only thing that explains the hostility.

had a childhood 'friend' whose parents were a pair of abusive idiot hippy-dippy druids who were obsessed with all things fantasy and roleplaying, and their house was loving DIRTY, and the mother loved to repeat that stupid bumper sticker's phrase
40 year old woman and she's flailing her arms around cheering it out like the most twiddly-twee parody of a human you've ever seen

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Black August posted:

had a childhood 'friend' whose parents were a pair of abusive idiot hippy-dippy druids who were obsessed with all things fantasy and roleplaying, and their house was loving DIRTY, and the mother loved to repeat that stupid bumper sticker's phrase
40 year old woman and she's flailing her arms around cheering it out like the most twiddly-twee parody of a human you've ever seen

this describes the type perfectly, down to the dirty house. Absolutely a type. God drat.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Oh, it's the opposite. That bumper sticker is aggressively mediocre.

Dragonlance is that bumper sticker spread out over dozens and dozens of books that sold millions of copies.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

this describes the type perfectly, down to the dirty house. Absolutely a type. God drat.

it was unbelievably gross, 10-year old me was silently wondering what the gently caress- they had rabbits who just shat everywhere, massive piles of dishes, mountains of books and papers lying about, DIRT-drenched carpets, weird hoarder stashes, you name it

just a bunch of insane and dirty and child-abusing freaks who love their fantasy novels that desperately want to be erotic fiction, but they're too much of a coward to write it so they sublimate it forever into lukewarm fantasy slop

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Didn't specifically mention ferrets (my only note).

edit:

I was so close!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

R.A. Salvatore (the writer of all the Drizzt books) and I used to frequent the same mall so I have a bunch of poo poo signed. One day he was doing a signing thing at Waldenbooks and he got into an argument with my friend because my friend told him he was wrong about when his own book was coming out.

Way back in college I worked in a mall Waldenbooks for a year or two where RA Salvatore would come in and sign things around the holidays presumably while he was doing actual X-Mas shopping (not as events or anything) but I only ever saw him doing this once- i was part time. The store manager told me that he asked about the offing chewbacca thing and Salvatore told him it was a mandate from above.

I liked Dragonlance as a kid and borrowed a bunch of them from the library. The only one I owned was Dragons of Winter Knight and I remember Sturm getting got. "You can be a knight sturm or something but you can't wear your nice armor for reasons. Here is some leather armor hope noone stabs you in the meanwhile during our big siege here."

I also remember the weird poem from the trip to the arctic or whatever and trying to figure out what was going on there and if the walrus people were literal walrus people. "Hot wind at the throat of feal-thas" for the elf hacking out the dragonlord dude's throat stuck for some reason. thanks ill drive on through

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
They weren't particularly well written but I think the setting was interesting and there were some moments from the first three that stuck with me. If you have good memories of them as a kid don't revisit them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
LOTR is way better but I think the first three Dragonlance books would have made better movies. LOTR is unfilmable without major compromises to the setting and story.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Flint Fireforge was a relatable character because he was extremely racist against Kender

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Biggest atrocity Dragonlance commited was causing this to happen:

https://youtu.be/yxzTqEvAhvc

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Arzakon posted:

That said, I haven't done pen and paper nerd stuff in a decade but I still hope every time they announce the base world for whatever D&D rules update they are doing will be Dragonlance instead of boring rear end Drizzt poo poo. Yeah Dragonlance is derivative but at least its a palette swap of generic fantasy poo poo instead of just being generic fantasy poo poo. I'm not gonna open that box of books again to read and find out how wrong I am just let me have my memories.

"Generic fantasy is boring as poo poo, but maybe the *next* version of the most bland, generic fantasy RPG in existence will turn out to be interesting and original!"

I'm saddened, but in the light of the above not surprised, that you would find Dragonlance even moderately interesting.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

In the early 2000s WotC published the Book of Vile Darkness, a ~super edgy~ DnD supplement with rules for drugs, demon worship, sex, all that great stuff. To advertise for it, they included a special section in their monthly magazine Dragon, a set of sealed pages that you had to cut open if you wanted to read them. Tracy Hickman called receiving his copy of the magazine in his mailbox terrorism and compared it to 9/11.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Lucky Guy posted:

In the early 2000s WotC published the Book of Vile Darkness, a ~super edgy~ DnD supplement with rules for drugs, demon worship, sex, all that great stuff. To advertise for it, they included a special section in their monthly magazine Dragon, a set of sealed pages that you had to cut open if you wanted to read them. Tracy Hickman called receiving his copy of the magazine in his mailbox terrorism and compared it to 9/11.

Yeah but then he read the book and said he overreacted and that it wasn’t anywhere near as edgy as anything produced by white wolf.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
In late 90s TSR culture, mentioning White Wolf in any positive context could get you fired.

This is (as I understand it) not an exaggeration.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

In late 90s TSR culture, mentioning White Wolf in any positive context could get you fired.

This is (as I understand it) not an exaggeration.

They also didn’t allow developers to play test their games because the boss, who was not a gamer and hated nerds, considered it to be “playing games on company time”. So if you ever noticed balance issues (or a system just plain not working) back then, that was why.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They also didn’t allow developers to play test their games because the boss, who was not a gamer and hated nerds, considered it to be “playing games on company time”. So if you ever noticed balance issues (or a system just plain not working) back then, that was why.

Good.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Just remembered Raistlin used his godlike magic powers to move to the only location that a Kender wouldn't wander into. A cursed and haunted tower in the middle of a city was the only thing safe from them.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Balance issues affect everyone.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The P&P RPG development scene has always been crawling and infested with sex criminals and creeps

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Black August posted:

The P&P RPG development scene has always been crawling and infested with sex criminals and creeps

I know, it takes a pretty sick mind to come up with kender.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I know, it takes a pretty sick mind to come up with kender.

“looks like young children forever race who steal and act innocent” gives me poo poo shivers for how blatantly fetishistic and child-rapey it’s slimed with

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I forgot these existed after I graduated middle school. I feel like I learned less by reading this thread, but I'm getting some good schadenfreude out of it. God do these books sound terrible.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Herman Merman posted:

I'm saddened, but in the light of the above not surprised, that you would find Dragonlance even moderately interesting.

Was your Everquest character named "Elminster" or "Drizzt"?

edit: Wasn't Greyhawk intended to be the most generic boring fantasy poo poo? Let's all unite against that.

Arzakon fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 22, 2020

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Read them as a teen. Enjoyed them. Have no intention of revisiting them nor pretension about their quality as an adult, but they helped get me into reading, so they did a good job and I appreciate them for that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Catpetter posted:

The classic:

I can tell that whoever made this image is a top-level expert in the field of making cringey media, so I trust their opinion on dragonlance completely and don't need to read any of the text in this image.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Lucky Guy posted:

That book was quite tame compared to :stare: stuff White Wolf was chucking by the spades (usually under the Black Dog sub-brand because holy poo poo) such as Clanbook: Baali or Charnel Houses of Europe.

The "good" equivalent of the Book of Vile Darkness (Book of Exalted Deeds) had some gamebreaking poo poo like divine damage unarmed attacks but I think the evil version was a better sourcebook in general.

Most of this knowledge nerd garbage comes from the time when I was working/idling in hobby shops back in 90's/early 00's and between the opening and rush hour of nerds flocking in I get to read and re-read everything on sale.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Salt Fish posted:

I can tell that whoever made this image is a top-level expert in the field of making cringey media, so I trust their opinion on dragonlance completely and don't need to read any of the text in this image.

While this researcher's points are astute, this is basically a hosed-up graphic from the 2001-era frontpage.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Hey now, Charnel Houses of Europe was incredibly not-terrible and super respectful given its premise and being from the publishers of WOD: Gypsies.

It's still one of the more well written books White Wolf (or Black Dog) ever put out.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I must be mistaking CHoE with something else than. Didn't that book had artwork of goat demons with penises dancing with naked nuns?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Tanis Half-Elven

Diet Aragorn, down to the elven blood, except more of it. He grew up shunned by the elf racists on his mom's side (who aren't supposed to bone down with humans) and the human racists on his dad's side (humans hate everybody). He has a rugged, manly beard.

Still cliché, but more interesting. Lets see where they went with it:

Dragonlance Fandom Wiki posted:

In the beginning, Margaret Weis had problems depicting Tanis Half-Elven in the novels. Tracy Hickman finally told her "He's James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise." After that explanation, Margaret had no more difficulty writing about Tanis.

Oh.

Alas, there is no evidence for the validity of this statement anywhere in the novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There is absolutely no interesting qualities to Tannis and he never actually suffers much at all for being half elf