Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why would Putin murder Navalny at all? He isn't controlled opposition exactly, but still useful 'theater opposition'. Making a martyr out of him seems counter productive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
This poo poo always comes up after each time someone is murdered or poisoned "but what's in it for Putin??" time and time again

It's a brutal security apparatus that hasn't seen any consequences for their actions. There is no reason the Chechens would kill Nemtsov right next to the Kremlin if they had any doubt that the killings would make Putin look bad and he would be mad and take any punitive action. In case you need reminding, after a few days Putin publicly gave Kadyrov a medal and the investigation to the murder was put a stop to. That he might not have personally ordered him poisoned is immaterial, he will know who did it and protect that person and this will continue.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Vladimir Putin is nothing but a tragic figure followed by inexplainable death. People and countries standing in his way inevitably end up being assassinated or invaded, and he just can't figure out why. All he ever wanted was to arrange big international sports events :smith:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Why would Putin murder Navalny at all? He isn't controlled opposition exactly, but still useful 'theater opposition'. Making a martyr out of him seems counter productive
Making another example of him seems productive.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

GABA ghoul posted:

Very much maybe on the theatre opposition part. Both the traditional managed opposition and un-managed opposition have been gaining ground: https://meduza.io/en/feature/2020/08/03/russia-s-electoral-testing-ground as well as the situation with the LDPR in Khabarovsk are indicative.

Support for United Russia has been flagging for quite some time, and while that's not necessarily connected directly to support for Putin (quite ironically, given that "support Putin" is the main tenet of United Russia's platform), the party is important for the current system of indirectly controlling politics in the regions. Loss of local control is a significant challenge and concern for the federal government (the "hey, don't look at me, look at the changes to the presidency!" constitutional change to remove whatever shred of municipal independence remained didn't come out of nowhere), and trying to gain ground that way has been an important part of Navalny's organization's strategy: https://theconversation.com/moscows-municipal-elections-illustrate-the-growing-political-crisis-in-russia-123262

Murdering Navalny does seem a really strange move even in light of that, but as Somaen noted, gently caress knows who in the silovki/kadyrovtsy/whoever else mess actually did that, why, and with what approval (or lack thereof).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GABA ghoul posted:

To terrorize people by reminding them that he can get away wit literally anything, no matter how brazen and hamfisted.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
That sounds sadly familiar

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A quick Putin quote from Skripals poisoning.

“Traitors will kick the bucket, believe me. Those other folks betrayed their friends, their brother in arms,” Mr Putin said.

“Whatever they got in exchange for it, those 30 pieces of silver they were given, they will choke on them.”

While this isn't directly explaining the reason for navalnys poisoning, it's a frame of reference for the way that Putin thinks in terms of how he deals with opposition.

Funny enough tea poisoning is just one piece of Russia's assassination arsenal. They could have easily thrown him out of a window or killed him with sodium fluoroacetate. They wanted to either cripple him or cause him a long death that all of his friends family and loyal followers to see what happens when you gently caress with Putin.

Putin basically used the tambov gang to do his low level hits. And the FSB to do high level hits. Has been this way for 20+ years now.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 20, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Aumanor posted:

"Zaliczka" is the closest equivalent I can think of, but it's not 1:1. It's just not a widely (or even at all) practiced method of payment in Poland.

well gently caress

I mean I suppose it still couldn’t hurt to ask if they can do it, right? :shrug:

GABA ghoul posted:

Maybe try paying with paypal? IRC they have an option to settle the payment with a couple months delay(which is basically a short term loan).

Gonna look into this too. I’m not sure if Paypal is one of their accepted methods of payment, but I can check.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well looks like the whole Belarus thing just suddenly fizzled out on tuesday when nationwide strikes just didn't happen. Only Soligorsk miners tried it for a day.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1296740503279599616

Sekenr posted:

Well looks like the whole Belarus thing just suddenly fizzled out on tuesday when nationwide strikes just didn't happen. Only Soligorsk miners tried it for a day.

People are afraid of losing their jobs?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

I mean I suppose it still couldn’t hurt to ask if they can do it, right? :shrug:

So just to be clear 'zaliczka' means down payment, and it's not uncommon in arrangements like renting a holiday house for example. Is this between individuals or with a company? In general it should be possible to negotiate.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think it would be more common in Poland to pay 5-20% down payment and then the rest at an agreed date. But I did buy one stupid poo poo once in a matter you described. I've paid through bank transfers to personal account and always put correct transaction description.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I think he was randomly picked to test Putin's new COVID vaccine. Congrats!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I. M. Gei posted:

Yyyyyyyeeeeeeaaah, pretty much. This thing I’m trying to buy is gonna run me a little over $2800, and I’ve only got a few hundred in my checking account right now. I have a job that pays more than enough for me to make monthly payments of like $600 or more. I just don’t have the full amount of money at this exact moment, and my credit rating is abject dogshit so I was hoping to avoid anything that’d involve a credit check.

Normally I’d just wait to buy something like this until I have enough cash to pay for it entirely, but the item in question is a super limited edition, and one of the last new ones of it’s kind in existence. On top of that, it’s also on sale at a killer price; it’s actually several hundred bucks cheaper than the regular non-limited-edition thing. I need to bite on that if at all possible, and unfortunately I don’t have the option of waiting.

Please do not use the forums to plan the purchase of nuclear weapons.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Watching Navalny Live now.

A German medical transport team landed this morning, they were able to examine Alexey and clear him for transport. Their plane is ready and waiting.

A hospital is chock full of unidentified personnel, they've taken over entrances, offices and phones. There are checkpoints in the hallways.

His wife and her entourage were forcefully removed from premises. All of this on video.

Vladimir Milov speculates that Navalny is being denied transport partly so the chemical substances in his blood would not be identified.

No press or relatives have access to his room at the moment.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

Please do not use the forums to plan the purchase of nuclear weapons.

It is Red mercury.
Purchased from Polish prince, who need to help it move out of the country.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
There is a government helicopter with a huge red-green state flag:belarus: flying circles around my housing block. Luka's aeromobile propaganda unit.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, also they apply all sorts of pressure and coersion to stop this stuff from happening in the future, with varying levels of success. Soligorsk miners who were the most determined to the point of going into the mines and do nothing all day now have KGB on them and strike commitee members started to dissapear. One of the dissapeared, hilariously, apparently escaped KGB office through toilet window and resurfaced in Ukraine. MAZ management seems to have botched their repression plan, they decided to fire some workers to make an example. The only flaw in this plan is that it wasn't unheard of for MAZ workers to quit even before the elections for non poilitical reasons, such as low pay and work being lovely. So a bunch more quit too and others taken unpaid leaves for family reasons. There are reports that there are not enough people for certain operations and trucks leave the assembly line in unfinished state.

Vadim Devyatovskiy, the head of Athletics federation used to be extremely frothing at the mouth pro Lukashenko, suddenly posted on facebook denouncing him. He got contacted by the media to ask if he was hacked, gave barely coherent statements confirming that he was the author of this post. Eventually government TV said that he suffered a nervous breakdown and was pressured by someone to post it.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 21, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

Russia will allow the gravely ill Navalny to be airlifted to Germany, after his wife sent a letter to the Kremlin directly appealing for it to intervene.

Russian Doctors claim that traces of industrial chemical substances have been found on Navalny’s clothes and fingers, but don't believe he has been poisoned.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
What type of poison would do something like this? Neurotoxin?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Going into the weekend Belarus is blocking media's internet presences:

https://twitter.com/AlexKokcharov/status/1296923841046941697

Dunno what that's really supposed to achieve; are there many people that wouldn't just get the same messaging through Telegram channels or osmosis through friends and acquaintances that do at this point? I figure Lukashenko's traditional base is more likely to watch TV news or media websites, but isn't wholly disconnected from people who get news via other sources.

Strike stuff I'm not seeing a whole of consistent reporting on, but it looks like the authorities have started trying to identify leaders at individual enterprises and are detaining them to try and decapitate those movements, e.g.

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1296498750970527744

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What Tikhanovskaya should have done and can still do is declare herself elected president and issue some sort of order to the government. Like order Karayev to resign or something like that. It is symbolic gesture but will give the military types who are not happy with how things are going a formal cop out without shattering their dutyful soldier self image.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/simonostrovsky/status/1297095848111808512?s=21

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe this is a secondary concern at this moment, but I'm seeing very few masks in the protest footage

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
Nobody in Minsk wears masks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Maybe this is a secondary concern at this moment, but I'm seeing very few masks in the protest footage

We have plenty of evidence from around the world that outdoor protest marches don't actually do much to COVID-19 numbers. It's indoor gatherings that are the biggest drivers.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I've read an interview with a MAZ strike leader, it was pretty amusing about insider situation on the plant. Their industrial action was put down by the management because it wasn't done according to the proper procedure and thus illegal, I don't know if in other countries the right to strike is properly put down on paper but in ours it is. If you ask me it is complete bullshit because the cops ignored the law and the workers should have just went with it but they want to do it properly. The funny thing is that article of the labour codex is basically a relic of the soviet codex and was never invoked in independant Belarus ever. The dude is a metalworker and his comrades are workers too, they are not lawyers, but they got legal aid from the coordination council. They got the management to confirm that they were officially warned of impending strike. The amusing thing about it was that once the management got all legal, workers got all legal too. This machine is not electrically grounded according to regulation, fix it and then I will work it. There is a roof leak over there, fix it and than I will work. There are hundreds of all sorts of failures everywhere that went ignored for years and will take weeks to fix.

Lukashenko I think tries to outplay them by shutting down all the striking industries on monday. This piece of news is odd because I've only seen it on RT and other Russian news sites but not on any Belarusian or anything official. Impressive move if true but also stupid, will hardly win him any popularity, official narrative is that external powers (who by now include nearly the entire world) have brainwashed good Belarusians through mysterious powers of internet to destroy our country. When he himself starts destroying the country out of spite, the story will appear even less convincing then before.

Overall I'd say the general feeling is that even though open street actions went next to nil, the partisan tradition kicked in and everybody is determined to poo poo on his parade whenever the opportunity presents itself. The whole regime might slide apart like a crappily built wedding cake.

In other news Viber evacuated their computer touchers to Kiev.

What concerns other potential strikers - MAZ and others Minsk based industries are more symbolic. The real money makers are Soligorsk who were real bros but are also under the hardest pressure, what concerns them is everything depends on their resolve. Because KGB or OMON are not going down into the mines, what goes on in there and what is right way to work only they know. Other money makers are oil refinery Naftan and chemical plant Grodnoazot. They are way more complicated, they are both 24-hour nonstop chemical process which cannot be stopped overnight otherwise its a literal ecological disaster and Grodnoazot even probably explosions. Their processes take weeks to shut down properly, so - who knows. Grodnoazot woman seemed pretty determined, but 2 weeks is a lot of time when things change sometimes every hour. Also, Grodno is the only city who got their executive council to accept every single condition that could be done on local level. They agreed to everything. The right to protest on main square with no harassment, no OMON in the city, time on local TV to speak whatever they want. This got overturned the next day by Lukashenko personally who went down there, but still.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 22, 2020

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sekenr posted:

What Tikhanovskaya should have done and can still do is declare herself elected president and issue some sort of order to the government. Like order Karayev to resign or something like that. It is symbolic gesture but will give the military types who are not happy with how things are going a formal cop out without shattering their dutyful soldier self image.

Uh, maybe not. At this stage that would only reinforce the government's message that this is coup attempt led from a NATO country, which would give the army all justification to lock and load. And how could she even call herself the elected president when the whole election was fraudulent to begin with? Better go with completely delegitimizing the election and requiring the administration to resign before a new, lawful election.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sekenr posted:

I've read an interview with a MAZ strike leader, it was pretty amusing about insider situation on the plant. Their industrial action was put down by the management because it wasn't done according to the proper procedure and thus illegal, I don't know if in other countries the right to strike is properly put down on paper but in ours it is.

Striking is part of legislation just about everywhere in Europe (and it has been for like over 100 years), it's generally considered a basic workers' right but there are also limitations depending on legislature. Like you have to announce it X days beforehand or the employer has the right to terminate the contract, also scabs are protected by law so unions can't completely close a factory but picketers can at least show them some evil eye at the gate. Political strikes can also be treated differently than strikes intended at improving wages and work conditions, for example.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Uh, maybe not. At this stage that would only reinforce the government's message that this is coup attempt led from a NATO country, which would give the army all justification to lock and load. And how could she even call herself the elected president when the whole election was fraudulent to begin with? Better go with completely delegitimizing the election and requiring the administration to resign before a new, lawful election.

The minister of defense speech before the officer corps got leaked and his position is pretty scary, which is civil war is a real possibility, we do not want to fight non-combatants nevertheless it might become our duty. I don't think this whole conspiracy talk will influence military people who already thinks that the entire idea sucks and seek an exit. Basically if you are currently in any kind of military-type organization you have 2 options, either obey all orders or jail and dishonor. I know that there is non-zero quantity of people who will prefer jail and dishonor to performing executions but her orders will make it a little easier, at least you can pretend before yourself or family that you followed Tikhanovskaya the legitimate president. Finally, their largest fear is not just to stain their uniforms with civilian blood (which is serious) but to be a scapegoat and end up that only they got stained while some other branch or units come clean and shining with glittering medals by doing nothing at the right moment. This move could saw serious discord.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sekenr posted:

The minister of defense speech before the officer corps got leaked and his position is pretty scary, which is civil war is a real possibility, we do not want to fight non-combatants nevertheless it might become our duty. I don't think this whole conspiracy talk will influence military people who already thinks that the entire idea sucks and seek an exit. Basically if you are currently in any kind of military-type organization you have 2 options, either obey all orders or jail and dishonor. I know that there is non-zero quantity of people who will prefer jail and dishonor to performing executions but her orders will make it a little easier, at least you can pretend before yourself or family that you followed Tikhanovskaya the legitimate president. Finally, their largest fear is not just to stain their uniforms with civilian blood (which is serious) but to be a scapegoat and end up that only they got stained while some other branch or units come clean and shining with glittering medals by doing nothing at the right moment. This move could saw serious discord.

I don't think I agree with you. Some strange lady giving orders from across the border has very little influence on the military.

Senior officers? They are too dependent on the system to rise against the system unless everything starts falling apart. If they do switch sides, it's because they want to install their own candidate to lead the show because they can.

Junior officers? They have less to lose, but are still years indoctrinated to defend the prevailing system, so it's a hard sell. They eventually might get to it, but historically it has taken years to develop such a conspiracy to fruition a la Carnation Revolution (and then the conditions have been dire).

Conscripts? They have very limited access to social media, but if they do, they potentially could be swayed by their families telling them that the winds have changed. But I'm pessimistic about the chances of a military revolt starting from the privates because it just doesn't happen. Armies are organized the way they are for a reason, to control individuals from the top to the bottom and to restrict influence from peers and from the outside.

Anything could happen of course, but right now the best thing would be if the army just decided that there was no reason to interfere, and in this regard the opposition seems to be making wise choices. If people die, it's all on Lukashenka.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Sekenr posted:

Isn't her husband still in Belarus custody? Probably wouldn't be healthy for him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yeah, I'd be more worried if Tikhanovskaya's team continued pushing the angle of her being the real president. It's clear that Russia is back to propping Lukashenko (probably they'll get one of the big factories sold to some Putin's friend in return), so it wouldn't be a good time for anything that radical. Plus it's doubtful EU would support that just yet.

I imagine, however, if protests continue for another month or so, Russia might lose patience with Lukashenko and start building bridges with the opposition. I still hope for the Armenian scenario.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

EU support is meaningless and simply doesn't exist. They already promised 50 million due to covid and now are promising 54. As for russia propping up Lukashenko, I also disagree. They are observing without supporting either side, Armenian revolt taught them than its possible to have popular uprising without new establishment being hostile to Russia, so they permit it. Lukashenko's list of sins before Kremlin is long and after recent events which shocked even Russians (and Russian citizens also brutalized) there are factions in kremlin who consider him toxic and best gone.

Nenonen posted:

I don't think I agree with you. Some strange lady giving orders from across the border has very little influence on the military.

Senior officers? They are too dependent on the system to rise against the system unless everything starts falling apart. If they do switch sides, it's because they want to install their own candidate to lead the show because they can.

Junior officers? They have less to lose, but are still years indoctrinated to defend the prevailing system, so it's a hard sell. They eventually might get to it, but historically it has taken years to develop such a conspiracy to fruition a la Carnation Revolution (and then the conditions have been dire).

Conscripts? They have very limited access to social media, but if they do, they potentially could be swayed by their families telling them that the winds have changed. But I'm pessimistic about the chances of a military revolt starting from the privates because it just doesn't happen. Armies are organized the way they are for a reason, to control individuals from the top to the bottom and to restrict influence from peers and from the outside.

Anything could happen of course, but right now the best thing would be if the army just decided that there was no reason to interfere, and in this regard the opposition seems to be making wise choices. If people die, it's all on Lukashenka.

I disagree with you here. She is not a strange lady, everyone knows who she is. Even pro-Lukashenko beaurocrat in MZKT when pressured admitted "I personally voted for him but I think she won". Senior officers are old fucks who hope to reach retirement age, junior officers are the ones I'm talking about. There is simply no glory here, and a lot of possibilities to gently caress up and end up in jail while your comrades march and give salutes to new government. Conscripts were civilians 6 months ago and will not fire a weapon at their mom, although I prefer not to make predictions about teenagers they were vicious in nazi germany.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 23, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Athough I;ve got to say, I miss Severinets ans Statkevitch. Statkevitch is a hard dude, who's been in jail 5 times and remains unbroken, they dare not set him free because he will immediately make so much noise that they'll have to arrest him again

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, today is the same show but with different actors. Today its the army, no OMON

Reasoning is obvious, Lukashenko wants to implicate everyone so none of his supporters come out of it unstained

Wrong move IMO. Luka wants to solidify his support by pitting society vs the army, nobody is scared of the army because they can't possibly be worse than OMON. Also both the protesters and the army don't want to fight for reasons that I outlined earlier, Hrenov, the minister of defense, the last thing he wants right now is to be bunched together with OMON who are routinely being referred to as inhuman for their cruelty. One thing I fear is provocation, however even in that case I see that they were issued no guns (thank god), no avtozaks and no batons which the army simply doesn't have in their arsenal

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 23, 2020

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Another definitely suicide case found of a disappeared protestor. This time he beat himself before death

https://mobile.twitter.com/mediazona_by/status/1297249349005717505

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Shitton of people on stela once again which is cordoned by the army. God loving damnit if some shitheel decide to storm the loving reichstag it will be nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AnonOpsSE/status/1297574485638381570

https://twitter.com/Mirek_Tomek/status/1297575804348575745

https://twitter.com/TechnoSotnya/status/1297567513849597953

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 23, 2020