Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Internet ads and clickbait are just getting genuinely incoherent now.

You'd think they're trying to get people to click on it just to see what the hell it is but I find it just makes it background noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bobjr posted:

It has been awhile since I've actually watched That 70's show so I'm not sure how the show held up in general. It is kind of weird that we're farther away from the 90's than the show was compared to the 70's when it started.

If That 80's show didn't bomb maybe that would be a trend.

i imagine enough 90s shows have managed to stay relatively popular up to now that we don't need a that 90's show reboot when you got the authentic stuff like seinfeld and friends still floating around, i know at least friends is weirdly popular with the younger crowd

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Friends is popular because to a younger generation who gets anxiety from answering a phone call having friends seems nice

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

oldpainless posted:

Friends is popular because to a younger generation who gets anxiety from answering a phone call having friends seems nice

Plus the fact that you could afford a comfortable place to live with said best friends while working in a steady job that is generally rewarding, or at least not as absolutely soul crushing.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

hard counter posted:

i imagine enough 90s shows have managed to stay relatively popular up to now that we don't need a that 90's show reboot when you got the authentic stuff like seinfeld and friends still floating around, i know at least friends is weirdly popular with the younger crowd

I mean, if you're a teenager watching Friends, now, it all must seem so curious because most of it is set in a pre-9/11, pre-eternal war America so the economy is doing well and poo poo's not so crazy yet

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

the_steve posted:

Plus the fact that you could afford a comfortable place to live with said best friends while working in a steady job that is generally rewarding, or at least not as absolutely soul crushing.

The rewarding job part may be accurate, but the living spaces in Friends were incredibly unrealistic even at the time, and even with the lampshading the show did about rent control and such.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Internet ads and clickbait are just getting genuinely incoherent now.

You'd think they're trying to get people to click on it just to see what the hell it is but I find it just makes it background noise.

For some reason, I saw a rash of "The controversial scene that took [60s TV show - usually I Dream of Jeannie or Gilligan's Island ] off the air for good" ads.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
The pandemic ruins my argument a bit, but Friends might be popular again because of all the free time everyone appeared to have. Spending hours a day just sitting around drinking coffee and shooting the poo poo.
Of course, thinking about that free time, was it really free? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R2fcxPYbzQ

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

letthereberock posted:

The rewarding job part may be accurate, but the living spaces in Friends were incredibly unrealistic even at the time, and even with the lampshading the show did about rent control and such.

Yeah, but if you're going to suspend disbelief, you may as well go all out.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
NYC apartments have never been portrayed accurately. Even going back to the silent movies, every low class gangster had a grandmother with her own homey apartment.

Like lol.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seinfeld's apartment, one of the smallest I can think of in any TV show, still looks big compared to the listings I've seen online.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Seinfeld's apartment, one of the smallest I can think of in any TV show, still looks big compared to the listings I've seen online.

Jerry is supposed to be a pretty successful comedian on the show. Though it's kind of weird that he never plays outside of New York.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Remulak posted:

NYC apartments have never been portrayed accurately. Even going back to the silent movies, every low class gangster had a grandmother with her own homey apartment.

Like lol.

The only time I've ever seen NYC apartments portrayed accurately was in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, where we see her friends hanging out in her spacious rented house in California and cut to her old, professionally successful lawyer nemesis in NYC laughing around with her friends in the cramped kitchen that is also the dining room and possible office and bedroom.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

the_steve posted:

letthereberock posted:

It was definitely bad at the time, but it's gotten even more realistic as time progresses.

Not least because the characters all survived on 0-1 jobs each - instead of the 3-4 jobs that they'd need now just to pay the rent and buy food now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jerry is supposed to be a pretty successful comedian on the show. Though it's kind of weird that he never plays outside of New York.

There’s definitely mentions of him traveling for shows, they just never actually show that. IIRC in The Limo he’s returning from doing a bunch of shows in Chicago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The most realistic nyc apartment on tv is Dean’s in the fourth (?) season of Venture Bros, where his bathtub is in the kitchen.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Remulak posted:

Like lol.

My favorite was probably on The Critic, when Jay goes to his hairdresser's apartment, and it's palatial.
"Dolores, how can you afford this!?"
"Rent controlled since 1922."

Or something like that, I can't find the clip.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember a few Seinfeld episodes where the implication is he’s just getting back from traveling, they just don’t spend any attention to it.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

At least one Seinfeld plot line has Jerry performing on The Tonight Show back when it was filmed in LA. The show makes it clear he’s a pretty successful comedian.

One thing I will give that show credit for - when George loses his job, he has to move back with his parents. I don’t know how many other shows would show that as a consequence to a career setback. Of course, the show treats it like it’s this humiliating, undignified thing that he has to do it, but the fact that the show even acknowledges that’s a thing an adult may have to do is pretty rare.

Funny thing is, when I think about people my age, I’m pretty sure I know more people who have had to live with their parents at some point during adulthood than who haven’t. It just seems like a really common thing with all the economic turmoil of the past 20 years that it’s weird to see it portrayed as such an awful thing, or never portrayed at all.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

letthereberock posted:

At least one Seinfeld plot line has Jerry performing on The Tonight Show back when it was filmed in LA. The show makes it clear he’s a pretty successful comedian.

Yeah, the show implies or mentions him traveling a bunch of times, including referencing several appearances on the Tonight Show. I‘m pretty sure there’s also an episode where he’s performing in Atlantic City and brings George with him, and The Airport episode had him and Elaine flying back from somewhere in the Midwest where while she visited family.

letthereberock posted:

Funny thing is, when I think about people my age, I’m pretty sure I know more people who have had to live with their parents at some point during adulthood than who haven’t. It just seems like a really common thing with all the economic turmoil of the past 20 years that it’s weird to see it portrayed as such an awful thing, or never portrayed at all.

A big part of that is the cost of college in the 90’s and earlier compared to the last 20 years. An old recurring joke in every sitcom involving teenagers was that they’d have to be out of the home at 18 and pay for everything themselves, which today would have radically different implications for the lifestyle they’d have to live...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Sweevo posted:

A lot of outdoor stuff was still shot on film well into the 70s, only switching to video tape indoors where the lighting could be more carefully controlled, and it's really noticeable when things switch from one to the other between shots.

Which was brought up in another classic Python sketch:

"Gentlemen, I have terrible news! This room is surrounded by film"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

letthereberock posted:

It's a very mainstream American culture kind of thing. A lot of other cultures and countries have people living with their parents until marriage - and in some culture marriage just means expanding the extended family house to make room, if needed.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Eh! Frank posted:

On the other hand, writer's block has given us at least three great movies (Barton Fink, Adaptation., and Seven Psychopaths)

Wait what about The Shining?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I mean, if you're a teenager watching Friends, now, it all must seem so curious because most of it is set in a pre-9/11, pre-eternal war America so the economy is doing well and poo poo's not so crazy yet

the 90s were the 50s of the 90s

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Slippery posted:

Yeah I put "at least" in case there were any I overlooked or haven't seen.

(Although, confession, I think Kubrick's The Shining is overrated, but the Simpsons parody of it is one of the best segments/episodes of that show ever)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The 90s had a large domestic terrorist movement of heavily armed para-fascist militias.

But at least America was in this wierd place between Vietnam and the War on Terror where the military wasn't yet a bunch of infallible demi-Gods and you still got media where they were incompetent dorks or even the villains.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Aug 22, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I’d like to take a moment to point out the insane dissonance of this magazine cover. We have articles about :

• One of the greatest atrocities of the Iraq War.
  • A decorated actor discussing a decorated actor.
  • Getting horny over barely-legal teens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slippery posted:

I think alcoholism should get more credit for that than writer’s block.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

There was an episode of New Girl where Jess starts hanging out with the Millenials down the hall and she realizes they're losers when one mentions that they do laundry at their parents house.

I have a feeling that writers for major shows have had more things work out for them than not, so they treat the lifestyles a lot of millenials and zoomers are forced to live as a failure of character.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

grittyreboot posted:

There was an episode of New Girl where Jess starts hanging out with the Millenials down the hall and she realizes they're losers when one mentions that they do laundry at their parents house.

I have a feeling that writers for major shows have had more things work out for them than not, so they treat the lifestyles a lot of millenials and zoomers are forced to live as a failure of character.

Broadly speaking, I think the Millennials were the first group that COULDN'T strike out at 18 and generally stand a chance at being ok.
Like, Gen X got a bit of the shaft as well, but could still generally make it work out somehow. Millennials got the majority of the shaft and really undid the whole "18 and self reliant" trend, on account of being hosed over by Boomers and the economy from every which way.

Like, hell, my uncle was able to pay his way through law school and passing the Bar just from working one summer as a landscaper.
It took me years of careful saving and budgeting and living off my parents to pay off my student loans for a lovely Associates Degree that wasn't even good enough to apply for a job with, and that was even AFTER I managed to get a decent paying job, and I am considered one of the lucky ones.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

The millenials dunking on Schmidt is still one of my favourite moments of the series. "we don't hate you because you're older, we hate you because you're a viciously unbearable rear end in a top hat"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

IIRC Jerry’s apartment on the show is based on the real Jerry Seinfeld’s old apartment in New York.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

the_steve posted:

Broadly speaking, I think the Millennials were the first group that COULDN'T strike out at 18 and generally stand a chance at being ok.
Like, Gen X got a bit of the shaft as well, but could still generally make it work out somehow. Millennials got the majority of the shaft and really undid the whole "18 and self reliant" trend, on account of being hosed over by Boomers and the economy from every which way.

Like, hell, my uncle was able to pay his way through law school and passing the Bar just from working one summer as a landscaper.
It took me years of careful saving and budgeting and living off my parents to pay off my student loans for a lovely Associates Degree that wasn't even good enough to apply for a job with, and that was even AFTER I managed to get a decent paying job, and I am considered one of the lucky ones.

Yeah, when I turned 18 (end of the 90's) I immediately moved out of my parent's house and managed to live pretty well on a single full time job at a grocery store as a full time stocker. Had to have a roommate, lived in a lovely part of town, had to choose between gas and food every once in awhile, and basically lived in the cold all winter to keep the gas bill own, but I was able to live. There might be areas where something like that is still possible, but it sure as poo poo ain't in any major city.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, when I turned 18 (end of the 90's) I immediately moved out of my parent's house and managed to live pretty well on a single full time job at a grocery store as a full time stocker. Had to have a roommate, lived in a lovely part of town, had to choose between gas and food every once in awhile, and basically lived in the cold all winter to keep the gas bill own, but I was able to live. There might be areas where something like that is still possible, but it sure as poo poo ain't in any major city.

For starters, full time at a grocery store? lmfao

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oof, yeah. This one friend of mine once showed me her work schedule.
They literally had her working 7 days a week, but it all added up to a grand total of 39.5 hours so that they didn't have to give her any full-time benefits, but still got to keep her there drat near constantly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Full time retail nowadays will very often require you to have essentially 24/7 availability, with the exact hours and days you work changing week to week to make planning any kind of life a living hell. And yes, the “39.5” hours so you are technically part time and don’t get benefits is also incredibly common.

Oh, and raises are maybe a quarter a year if you’re lucky. That last part always rankles me, cause I’ll see old TV shows have characters mention getting .50 cents or a dollar raise when many retail places you’ll have to be employed for years to get that poo poo now. It’s almost the opposite of old movies or shows where you hear someone say they make X amount a year where it would be below the poverty line by current standards.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd recommend anyone interested in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to skip the first season (26 episodes) and watch it at a later date. Less because it's a middling horror-story about punching vampires, more because one of the heroes important to the climax is an unrepentant Nazi who commits numerous atrocities. Thankfully his only other appearance in the series is as an alternate-universe minor villain who gets his rear end kicked.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yup! Jewel Osco. It was union, which is basically the only reason I was able to move out at all.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yup! Jewel Osco. It was union, which is basically the only reason I was able to move out at all.

My first part-time job was in a union grocery store - Eagle Foods. For some reason, everyone's wages were posted on the breakroom wall. I found that to be odd.

I hated that loving place. Quit after six months for a job at the local library reshelving books. That was a sweet gig - got to work whenever I wanted as long as I put in the required number of hours weekly which was 14, if I remember correctly. Quiet, air conditioned, the librarians were really nice as opposed to the grocery cashiers who were mostly a bunch of miserable old bitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the_steve posted:

Oof, yeah. This one friend of mine once showed me her work schedule.
They literally had her working 7 days a week, but it all added up to a grand total of 39.5 hours so that they didn't have to give her any full-time benefits, but still got to keep her there drat near constantly.

The valet company I worked for pretty much only scheduled people for 5.75 hrs to avoid having to take meal breaks, so people were working 5 days a week for not even 30 hours.