Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Bioshock Infinite has value as a sort of museum of lovely design choices that were all the rage in 2013

I will never understand the 2 weapons thing

It's literally just cargo culting halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lodin posted:

The best song from any game is the moon one from Ducktales. Don't @ me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPy_AHIIkZY

You're not wrong, then again there is so much awesome stuff that was created back then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvha_2hAzq0&t=9s

Also Danny Baranowsky is kinda the current-gen-retro(???) Chris Hülsbeck

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

food court bailiff posted:

I can’t remember the last time I had as much fun in an RPG as the first boss fight against the scorpion robot thing

Man that finicky fight and then the escape sequence in the demo where you can run straight back up but it won't let you leave before fighting every last dude in the building killed any and all interest I had in the game.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The two weapons thing was a novel idea when Halo did it because people were used to carrying around entire arsenals in first person games. Like, when you found the shotgun you ALWAYS had a shotgun to use. But in Halo you had to make a choice between the shotgun and the rocketlauncher. It was lauded as a new strategic layer, forcing the player to think a bit more about their weapon options.

Since Halo was popular as hell, every other shooter started limiting its arsenal as well until it became a new standard, just like with regenerating health/shields. That's why I was happy when Half-Life 2 came out and I could finally carry all the weapons again. It's clearly the superior way.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

QuarkJets posted:

The best 3D Zelda game is The Witcher 3

Nah, it's the Zelda 2 remake titled "Shadow of the Colossus."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turok got a really cute looking game called Turok in Dinosaur Valley a few years back that despite having a unique art style I don't think anyone bought or played so Im not willing to commit money to it to find out if its good or not.

You do know you hosed up as a dev when you have to have in your trailer a confirmation your game named "Turok" is related to the Turok property because it looks absolutely nothing like what people are expecting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fartbox posted:

The two weapons thing was a novel idea when Halo did it because people were used to carrying around entire arsenals in first person games. Like, when you found the shotgun you ALWAYS had a shotgun to use. But in Halo you had to make a choice between the shotgun and the rocketlauncher. It was lauded as a new strategic layer, forcing the player to think a bit more about their weapon options.

Since Halo was popular as hell, every other shooter started limiting its arsenal as well until it became a new standard, just like with regenerating health/shields. That's why I was happy when Half-Life 2 came out and I could finally carry all the weapons again. It's clearly the superior way.

Feels like the entertainment industry does this every decade where something innovative and popular comes out and then everything else in the universe has to copy random elements of it trying to create success via proxy without even trying to understand how it fits into the bigger picture. The video game industry in particular tends to have every single AAA western game be the exact same genre for a decade.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
As a lovely pedant it really grinds my gears how Halo actually had lore justifications for why the player had a regenerating shield, the power to punch harder than a shotgun blast and flip a Jeep with one hand but then every game borrowing ideas from it was just WOW COOL MECHANICS!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Turok got a really cute looking game called Turok in Dinosaur Valley a few years back that despite having a unique art style I don't think anyone bought or played so Im not willing to commit money to it to find out if its good or not.

You do know you hosed up as a dev when you have to have in your trailer a confirmation your game named "Turok" is related to the Turok property because it looks absolutely nothing like what people are expecting.

Looks like it's based on 1950s turok.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, between that and the regenerating shields it smacks of some idiotic executive demands. I think they were planning to make it ~*Open World*~ too which is why most of the game is weird sprawling combat arenas

Dr. Video Games 0135 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 22, 2020

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

except the combat in halo is actually good and engaging. In Infinite, it's very scripted, mechanical, and the enemies are bullet sponges.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ugh. Another generic videogame protagonist.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Last of Us Part 2 was mediocre but at least it gave us dumb, fun memes

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
You know why I love Arkane Studios? It's the surprise factor in what resolution the game launches today. Start Prey or Dishonored2 like you did yesterday with the settings you love? Who knows, might do 640x480 today just for laughs. Might do something waaaaay bigger to completely crop out the graphics settings menu lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Last of Us Part 2 was mediocre but at least it gave us dumb, fun memes

I would love to know what the hell is going on at Naughty Dog because for over a decade now it feels like every game they’ve put out is really close to being amazingly fun and top-of-class but does something stupid to pratfall on its face to mediocrity

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

except the combat in halo is actually good and engaging. In Infinite, it's very scripted, mechanical, and the enemies are bullet sponges.

That's what I mean, it has those features but there's no justification or purpose for them, they're just there because that's what the devs think shooters are now

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fridge corn posted:

It's amazing op. What's even more amazing is that it's actually fun to play, a feat not accomplished by square enix in over a decade or more

isn't it the first game since ff13 where they told nomura that he had to buckle down and do his loving job as director instead of smashing disney nendroids together making kingdom sharts while his other projects languish lol

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

lol at the guy complaining about the first boss being finicky and the escape timer, though

the first boss tells you repeatedly what to do, first during a friendly little tutorial popup, and then by the characters constantly yelling about it. yeah, you have to pay a modicum of attention and engage with the game instead of a bunch of menus, but it owns

the timer’s lowest setting is 20 minutes and i had 14 minutes and 43 seconds left after escaping, and I doubled back in a couple areas to check for loot lol

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

the timer’s lowest setting is 20 minutes and i had 14 minutes and 43 seconds left after escaping, and I doubled back in a couple areas to check for loot lol

No I had the opposite problem, the game put a giant timer onscreen so I assumed it would actually be somewhat tight and tried to get the gently caress out asap and then ended up in the upper room with oodles of time to spare and the exit hatch plot-locked. Then every enemy I'd kited on the way there came swarming in and the camera had a seizure.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

fridge corn posted:

I'm glad I was too young for most NES games. I would hate to have any nostalgia for that era cuz those games are universally crap. True gaming didnt start until the 16bit era

Yeah I just watched an LP of the original legend of zelda, seemed like it would be a very frustrating and not fun game to actually play. Link to these past its definitely my favorite though

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm grateful to have an older sibling so that I never developed an urge to watch a 'let's play' video

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

is that muscular the cheat strong bad being hosed by the homestaw wunnew

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i somehow had the music from mushroom hill zone of sonic and knuckles stuck in my head all day yesterday

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

is that muscular the cheat strong bad being hosed by the homestaw wunnew

I'm sure this means something in gamer speak but it's probably best to not delve too deep in to this poo poo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

i somehow had the music from mushroom hill zone of sonic and knuckles stuck in my head all day yesterday

That reminds me, people complain about games now having all their quality levels front loaded since most people don’t finish games. It’s like, did you ever play Sonic? Those always had a really good first zone and then a nice downward spiral.

Except for the game gear ones, which were just bad the whole time.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

fridge corn posted:

I'm glad I was too young for most NES games. I would hate to have any nostalgia for that era cuz those games are universally crap. True gaming didnt start until the 16bit era

wtf stone this heathen

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Icochet posted:

I'm grateful to have an older sibling so that I never developed an urge to watch a 'let's play' video

There's a flavor of lets play that I like sometimes that's basically funny personalities playing the game, like watching an mst3k or a rifftrax but with a video game. Chip and Ironicus are some goons that do this style really well, so I return to their channel from time to time not because I want to see someone play a video game but because I want to listen to two pretty chill dudes

I don't have any siblings so I can't say whether that would have made a difference

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

lol at the guy complaining about the first boss being finicky and the escape timer, though

the first boss tells you repeatedly what to do, first during a friendly little tutorial popup, and then by the characters constantly yelling about it. yeah, you have to pay a modicum of attention and engage with the game instead of a bunch of menus, but it owns

Tbf the combat system in ff7r is fairly unique and specific in how it needs to be played which I'm not sure the game communicates effectively enough by the first boss. It gives you the tools and tells you what you're supposed to do with them, but leaves it up to the player to find the rhythm which requires a bit more time to figure out imo.

The boss fights tend to be a bit overly long with many stages with scripted transitions and you won't realise this until you've beaten a few so the first few boss encounters can make the player feel like they're not playing effectively even if they actually are

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

There's a flavor of lets play that I like sometimes that's basically funny personalities playing the game, like watching an mst3k or a rifftrax but with a video game. Chip and Ironicus are some goons that do this style really well, so I return to their channel from time to time not because I want to see someone play a video game but because I want to listen to two pretty chill dudes

I don't have any siblings so I can't say whether that would have made a difference

I'm a middle child. I watched my older sister play games, my little brother watched me play games. I sometimes watch Lets Plays, especially Kruggsmash lately. That guy is the best. Apparently this is contentious?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That reminds me, people complain about games now having all their quality levels front loaded since most people don’t finish games. It’s like, did you ever play Sonic? Those always had a really good first zone and then a nice downward spiral.

Except for the game gear ones, which were just bad the whole time.

i would put in another asterisk for noted good game Sonic Adventure 2 Battle where the final stages are all awesome and the middle stages are weak as hell

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There should be four different threads each open for four hours at a time with a two hour window between locking the last one and opening the next one. This would allow for coverage across all time zones while still breaking up the conversation periodically. The two hours would also serve as a cooling off period so posters wouldn't simply be able to pick up their grudges immediately in the next thread.

Would this make the conversation harder to follow? Yes. Yes it would.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

i would put in another asterisk for noted good game Sonic Adventure 2 Battle where the final stages are all awesome and the middle stages are weak as hell

Oh, definitely, I was speaking more to the 2D Sonics since the 3D ones were their own kind of thing. They definitely had a stacked front end to give something to the demo discs but SA2Battle escalated like crazy so the end was pretty drat fun. I should try dusting that off one of these days, it’s been ages.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

christmas boots posted:

There should be four different threads each open for four hours at a time with a two hour window between locking the last one and opening the next one. This would allow for coverage across all time zones while still breaking up the conversation periodically. The two hours would also serve as a cooling off period so posters wouldn't simply be able to pick up their grudges immediately in the next thread.

Would this make the conversation harder to follow? Yes. Yes it would.

while we're getting '8-bit era sucks guy' lets get this guy too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Would it help if I told you I thought I was posting this in another thread?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Icochet posted:

are you saying this because your best sibling hogged the game so the weaker sibs got their fill of "passive play" via watching, and/or clever use of fake players 2... or are you saying because you grew up constantly competing for your turn you never want to sit back and watch ever again, if you dont have to?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Outpost22 posted:

Yeah I just watched an LP of the original legend of zelda, seemed like it would be a very frustrating and not fun game to actually play. Link to these past its definitely my favorite though

The original Zelda was designed to be played in a very different way than we tend to play games today so it doesn't really work now. Like back then they hadn't really figured out the language of adventure games and the assumption was that you would only be playing one or two games at a time. Zelda was supposed to last for weeks or months in short sessions, like after dinner I'm gonna search for secrets around the lake and then quit for the day. So today you pick it up and say "how the poo poo was I supposed to figure that out" well you were supposed to figure it out by trying a million things for a long long time.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Super Mario Odyssey is such an incoherent amalgamation of random poo poo and putting a Mario brand on it is probably one of the worst atrocities in gaming history

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Maybe Mario Odyssey should have been Donkey Kongs Odyssey. Instead of a magical hat it's a magical tie and suddenly dinosaurs and new donk city make a little more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Manager Hoyden posted:

The original Zelda was designed to be played in a very different way than we tend to play games today so it doesn't really work now. Like back then they hadn't really figured out the language of adventure games and the assumption was that you would only be playing one or two games at a time. Zelda was supposed to last for weeks or months in short sessions, like after dinner I'm gonna search for secrets around the lake and then quit for the day. So today you pick it up and say "how the poo poo was I supposed to figure that out" well you were supposed to figure it out by trying a million things for a long long time.

Yeah and in an era still dominated by arcade game design this was a revelation. It was the first NES game I played after owning a 2600 and it completely blew my mind. I never had any sense of progression or permanence in a game up until that point.