Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Problems with designing / balancing a speedster maybe?
Even Tony's flight skill feels sluggish so there's no doubt in my mind that a speedster would crawl along (or maybe even skate like Ezra Miller's Flash) for 90% of the game and then maybe, maybe if they got creative would apply a multi-punch animation/effect to the attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, you can tell they’ve dialed back flight speed to keep him in line with like wall running and stuff.

They should have looked at some other options, maybe an overheating mechanic, there’s a lot of room in the maps for some conveniently placed waterfalls...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Alhazred posted:

Finally playing Arkham Knight and the batmobile is not fun at all. That fight againt the excavator almost broke me. Everything else is:discourse:

Afraid I've got some bad news for you

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alhazred posted:

Finally playing Arkham Knight and the batmobile is not fun at all. That fight againt the excavator almost broke me. Everything else is:discourse:

If it was only used for chases and some puzzle solving it would be fine, enjoyable even, but all that tank bs is miserable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I enjoy the tank combat much more than the Riddler races. I didn't enjoy the boss fight with the Batmobile chase at all.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bit like enjoying being robbed over being mugged, that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Arkham Knight is the only Arkham game I didn't finish and it was 100% because of the batmobile combat sections.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Basically I love everything about the Batmobile which makes it clear that Batman is a mass murderer with delusions of not being a mass murderer, and hate the parts where it just makes me play Grimdark Mario Kart.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Riddler races were also horrible, but I liked when there was a car and you could chase the car and the guys driving the car would get scared.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I thought the Batmobile handled quite well and love driving games so I found it a hoot to drive around, but some of those drone battles could go gently caress themselves. Definitely the most frustrating part of the game, aside from the last four achievements I never got and am years out of practice so probably never will.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Midniter posted:

I thought the Batmobile handled quite well and love driving games so I found it a hoot to drive around, but some of those drone battles could go gently caress themselves. Definitely the most frustrating part of the game, aside from the last four achievements I never got and am years out of practice so probably never will.

I honestly think it handles like rear end. Especially when you have to drive fast. The excavator fight actually had potential to be a good setpiece if the batmobile didn't feel like it was driving on slippery ice.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

Arkham Knight is the only Arkham game I didn't finish and it was 100% because of the batmobile combat sections.

loving SAME!

I even went through a second time to try it when all the '66 costumes were dropped and I still couldn't get past the batmobile parts because they were completely opposite of what I wanted to play.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Mechanically I thought the Batmobile was ok, but it wore out it's welcome well before the end of the game and honestly? The gliding movement felt so good that I generally preferred to do that instead. It often felt faster too, which I'm not sure if that's because it genuinely was or if you're just able to make so many shortcuts over the city that the street-limited Batmobile felt unnecessary.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the Batmobile would've been fine if it were just a way to get around, a neat bonus sort of thing. For instance, chasing down bad guys' trucks or Firefly is fun but it's never crucial. The problem is that they basically made it a plot element. I mean, there is a whole segment of the game devoted to you having to get the Batmobile a new fuel cell because it's disabled in the fear gas. Like, motherfucker I know you have a jet and probably other cars or other Bat-modes-of-transportation around that aren't disabled, don't pretend that fixing that loving car is vital. (Plus he has to go down into a fear gas cloud to do it, which is dumb. Again, don't tell me you can't get Alfred to air drop you a goddamn gas mask)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TwoPair posted:

I feel like the Batmobile would've been fine if it were just a way to get around, a neat bonus sort of thing. For instance, chasing down bad guys' trucks or Firefly is fun but it's never crucial. The problem is that they basically made it a plot element. I mean, there is a whole segment of the game devoted to you having to get the Batmobile a new fuel cell because it's disabled in the fear gas. Like, motherfucker I know you have a jet and probably other cars or other Bat-modes-of-transportation around that aren't disabled, don't pretend that fixing that loving car is vital. (Plus he has to go down into a fear gas cloud to do it, which is dumb. Again, don't tell me you can't get Alfred to air drop you a goddamn gas mask)

If I remember right, they locked essential parts of the skill trees behind batmobile acheivements which was really annoying. I liked having some puzzles and areas require the car but, man, they just laid it on way too much and made you use it too often. The drone battles were really repetitive and the Riddler races were complete dogshit.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Big Hat Tarleton:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So funny enough I actually just completed MUA2 and can say it's okay.

Like actually no, it's 6/10 that manages to mostly only avoid being a total and utter dumpster fire because it uses assets from better games and MUA3, while basically just being Tecmo Koei slapping the MUA formula onto the Warriors licensed game formula, manages to at least be colorful and fun to play and frantic?

MUA2 is a busted mess in a lot of ways, and the most immediate and specific one is that it's a game that was of that 360/PS3 era where everything was brown soldier man, and the fact that they used both Civil War and then an original nothing villain meant all the major fights are just other superheroes, a couple villains sprinkled in and a giant robot in the start. Latveria is just a generic Wolfenstein castle complete with the soldiers. Wakanda has some african-techno-houses and a throne room but is otherwise just a bunch of generic jungle. The roster selection is terrible (like loving ghost rider didn't get in but PENNANCE did), half the skills are locked behind one side or the other even after the point in the plot the characters stop doing that, it ends on both sides with things going back to happy status quo and everyone getting along, I hate it, I spent like 30 hours of my life I'll never get back

I'm considering doing another run through to play through the Cap missions because the gameplay's still alright and the fusion powers are kind of a fun gimmick they didn't bother actually balancing fights around so much as made stupidly powerful.

E:RE:vvv Gambit's great in MUA2 as well because his special ability turns it from a beat-em-up game into finding whatever random object in the environment you can throw to turn into a bomb in someone's face, which... strikes me as extremely on brand for Gambit.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 21, 2020

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually still have a 360 just so I can play MUA1. I just love how Deadpool and Cap control, particlarly Cap's shield throw, Deadpool's double pistol and the Katana spin that causes bleeds. Honestly they control so well that it is hard to use other characters. I find it challenging to even get too far in the game if I use characters like Hawkeye and Fury just because their base attacks aren't that good, particularly against the bosses.

But seriously, Cap's shield throwing is just so. much. fun.

Similarly, X-Men Legends 2 Gambit is a really fun character to play due to his card throw. Deadpool is also similarly fun in this game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gotham Knights is as expected. Kind of a soft reboot of the Arkham games and you play as Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood, and Robin.

Batgirl's costume taking after the Batgirl of Burnside is cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Gotham Knights is as expected. Kind of a soft reboot of the Arkham games and you play as Nightwing, Batgirl, Red Hood, and Robin.

I guess based off the concept it is post-Arkham Knight?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I guess based off the concept it is post-Arkham Knight?

They showed that it starts with Batman sending a message that he's dead. But different look and voice actor. Which is why it's probably a soft reboot where it takes place after that, but people are gonna be different.

And they showed off a boss fight against Mr. Freeze which was just a bunch of punching, and not the cool fight like in Arkham City. So that doesn't inspire much confidence.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Would have dug it if they'd given us Black Bat or (if you need to) Orphan Cassandra.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCsptWe21uE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np-QRdUTkSs

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://news.avclub.com/the-bat-family-steps-up-in-the-first-trailer-for-batman-1844813641

No Tim, no Oracle, Gordon dead for some reason, and made by the people that did Arkham Origins..........also bad guys will have various levels to them. Yeah for now this will probably get a hard pass from me unless the characters themselves can be varied enough on gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJjRRErYdO4

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 22, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Game trailer

https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/status/1297224550040473600?s=20

Different looking Bruce and not Kevin Conroy or someone doing a Conroy impersonation, Barbara can walk and is still Batgirl and it mentions Jim Gordon being dead (probably info you get in the first few minutes of the game, but better safe than sorry) so while it starts from a situation similar to the end of Arkham Knight it's not a direct continuation likely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jiro posted:

https://news.avclub.com/the-bat-family-steps-up-in-the-first-trailer-for-batman-1844813641

No Tim, no Oracle, Gordon dead for some reason, and made by the people that did Arkham Origins..........also bad guys will have various levels to them. Yeah for now this will probably get a hard pass from me unless the characters themselves can be varied enough on gameplay.

Where do they say no Tim? Is the Robin in it Damian then?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Where do they say no Tim? Is the Robin in it Damian then?

It's a younger character model so I assumed it was Damian since Tim was older in Arkham Knight. But you're right it's a soft reboot and nothing from previous games really matter anymore. Also what's wrong with Bruce's chin and lower jaw in that video? It's Bruce Campbell-esque.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thoughts upon seeing it. Barbara's set up and the wheelchair prominently in shot says yes she was Oracle at one point. Two pretty sure with the tech gadgets he uses including the invisibility cloak Robin is Tim. Three we all know Bruce ain't dead.

Edit: also it almost sounds like GCPD are hostile and might end up being enemies which is good. ACAB

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 22, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jiro posted:

It's a younger character model so I assumed it was Damian since Tim was older in Arkham Knight. But you're right it's a soft reboot and nothing from previous games really matter anymore. Also what's wrong with Bruce's chin and lower jaw in that video? It's Bruce Campbell-esque.

I think it'd be kinda silly to use Damian in the one game without Bruce.

I could maybe see it if it was a Dickbat game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thoughts upon seeing it. Barbara's set up and the wheelchair prominently in shot says yes she was Oracle at one point. Two pretty sure with the tech gadgets he uses including the invisibility cloak Robin is Tim. Three we all know Bruce ain't dead.

Edit: also it almost sounds like GCPD are hostile and might end up being enemies which is good. ACAB

Yeah I assume that they're doing the "She was Oracle and she got a plot device so she can walk again" thing the comics did.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Watching random damage numbers pop up in a Batman game is not a good sign

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Watching random damage numbers pop up in a Batman game is not a good sign

Eh. I'm not really ready to go "A superhero game.. with damage numbers?!" when I loved the Diablo-alike Marvel games. I am not super hype about it but it's entirely possible for that to be done well.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Between this, the Injustice games and the new Avengers what is up with all these off brand looking costumes? I get that they want to try and do their own thing, but so many of them just look awful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If Gotham Knights follows the Arkham games theres gonna be a bunch of classic alt costumes. If it really bugs you wait for the complete editions with all the DLC built in And most of the costumes will be unlocked at the start I think. (I'm going off the PC versions of Asylum and City at least)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Multiplayer through the whole game being an option is nice. The fact that it's not mandatory is better. This kind of has a look and feel of the Diablo Marvel game from a few years ago with the Arkham combat mechanics. Seemed like we got to see a super meter on Batgirl, probably leading to a series of power moves. Looks like enemies drop loot, but it appears to be crafting materials from the few shots we saw. Probably get options to craft and improve gear. As long as we get modern MMO bonuses and cosmetic only options, I'm down.

Agreed that some of the costumes look ugly, specifically Robin with a full helmet. It does appear to be post AK Jason, with the scar on his face, but wasn't that a J?

I don't like that it appears more vehicles are present, but maybe if they stick to just bat-cycles and leave out the mobile, it will be OK.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Agreed that some of the costumes look ugly, specifically Robin with a full helmet. It does appear to be post AK Jason, with the scar on his face, but wasn't that a J?

It was a brand in the shape of a J in AK so yeah, I'm pretty sure it's playing fast and loose with canon, if it's even trying to pretend it's in the Arkham universe.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm still floored that they decided their gameplay would show a lazy boss fight against Mr. Freeze, when he was probably the greatest boss fight in all the Arkham games. Not a great way to start off, fellas.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
About time they announced it. drat. Trailer looked good, haven't watched the gameplay yet but from what you're saying it's a little worrying. Batgirl's costume keeps switching from looking ok to really good to kinda bad, but I see what they're trying to do with it. Not a fan of the cowl in the late shot.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

I'm still floored that they decided their gameplay would show a lazy boss fight against Mr. Freeze, when he was probably the greatest boss fight in all the Arkham games. Not a great way to start off, fellas.

I disagree, I think it's a smart move and I'm glad they did it.
"Hey, were you hoping for a puzzle style takedown boss battle that gets progressively more difficult? Well you won't find that here, look elsewhere."

They just saved you $60 from the sound of it.

I don't disagree with you, I'd rather have an updated version of City and for WB to learn from that and give me more of what was there. But this appears to be a very different game, and I'd rather see that now then after I plunked down money expecting Arkham City 2

It makes sense if there is going to be an always on, opt-in/opt-out multi player component. Two player simultaneous stealth takedown of patrolling guards - Hell yes. Two player beat 'em up brawling through a room full of thugs and goons - absolutely. The Mr Freeze fight from City with more than one person - I'm not sure how that would work mechanically, at least under the "old" system.

Maybe you could have one person act as a distraction somehow and the other person sneaks up and has to pull out a power cable from his backpack or something. Then he dispenses fog behind him so you can't do that, so another approach needs to be taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

About time they announced it. drat. Trailer looked good, haven't watched the gameplay yet but from what you're saying it's a little worrying. Batgirl's costume keeps switching from looking ok to really good to kinda bad, but I see what they're trying to do with it. Not a fan of the cowl in the late shot.

The Arkham boss fights were almost universally complained about aside from that one specific Mr. Freeze one (and that wasn't the only Mr. Freeze one) so I honestly can't blame them for trying to figure out something that works within that system.

Edit: Deathstroke in Origins was somewhat praised but in a real love it or hate it way.