Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm generally a guy who supports series being as flexible in tone as they want or need to be, and I thought Baron Omatsuri was okay, it just felt kind of antithetical in a lot of ways to what I enjoy about One Piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, the ultimate moral clicks pretty well with one piece. Love your friends but let them go when you have to.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It feels like you're reading a different One Piece if you think that clicks very well, but I'm talking more about like the general tone and bleakness of it just turning me off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like a lot of things about one piece's tone and atmosphere but baron omatsuri was the only one piece thing that kept my interest very much

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched Patlabor 2 the first time prior to seeing any other Patlabor and thought it was a pretty great anime movie, then watched it again later after watching the ovas and first movie and still enjoyed it but appreciated the Goto focus more that time

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I watched Patlabor 2 the first time prior to seeing any other Patlabor and thought it was a pretty great anime movie, then watched it again later after watching the ovas and first movie and still enjoyed it but appreciated the Goto focus more that time

Gotos my favorite part of patlabor, so im with you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My thought on patlabor: all cops are bastards

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its why my favorite episode is the haunted training camp, a bunch of good goto moments in it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think I would of liked Patlabor 2 more as a Patlabor media if it just had Goto and Shinobu and didn't have the rest of the cast. As is while it's super good it's not my favorite Patlabor

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feel like i punked myself by not watching nanoha a's for so long because that was easily one of the best magical girl shows i've ever seen

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
nanoha gays lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

feel like i punked myself by not watching nanoha a's for so long because that was easily one of the best magical girl shows i've ever seen

Its release in North America hasn't really made it that accessible sadly

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone truly punk themselves, though?

Totally agreed that it's a ball and a half!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my lovely Slovenian boy sprained his ankle last night and now im sad

RIP LUKA DONCIC

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

It feels like you're reading a different One Piece if you think that clicks very well
isnt that the entire moral of the vivi scene which is like one of the most iconic one piece moments

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The point of the Vivi scene is that they're still friends. Also she doesn't, you know, die. Most of the rest of One Piece involves Luffy chasing his friends to the ends of the earth trying to save them in one way or another, the only person he really has to let go of after that is Ace

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
golden kamuy is really good. very similar to dungeon meshi

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Colonel posted:

Isn't the gimmick that it isn't actually a magical girl show but more closely resembles a mech drama?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Isn't the gimmick that it isn't actually a magical girl show but more closely resembles a mech drama?

ah, the attack on titan gambit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

No its pretty close to a magical girl show. Theres some mecha influence visually and some sci-fi worldbuilding but the themes and characters are extremely magical girl. Rivals turned good by friendship, parental issues, etc.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how many magical girl shows would be improved by the inclusion of heavy arms gundam prolly not symphogear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

how many magical girl shows would be improved by the inclusion of heavy arms gundam prolly not symphogear
symphogear already has it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Sugar Sugar Rune.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watching the old higurashi anime before the new one airs and also so i can have a frame of reference for discussion of it compared to the vn. dunno how i'll end up feeling about it since the vn is one of my favorite vns ever but hearing everyone voiced for the first time is fun

AlternateNu posted:

no it's a pretty standard magical girl setup that just also has weird mecha/sci-fi stuff going on

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nanoha is arguably more a classic Magical girl show than Precure is

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

In what sense? The series premiered a few months after Futari Wa did.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

OK, that's impossible. :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I don't know what classical means in this case, like the old formula from back in the 80s and 90s?

Not too relevant but interesting to note, Furati wa Precure started in February 2004 and and Nanoha A started in October 2005. (Edit: with the original Nanoha in October 2004) Magical Doremi started way earlier than both of them in February 1999.

Julias fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 23, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And of course you had sailor moon before both of them, with its first anime starting in March 1992. It is literally older than me.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

In what sense? The series premiered a few months after Futari Wa did.

It's plot arcs really are more along the lines of classical magical girl shows even if the trappings have changed (combat being more laser/mecha focused, Fate/Nanoha, etc..) whereas Precure plot really ends up being more like Shonen Jump with Magical girl trappings. Heck Precure has ended up destroying way more bad guys than Nanoha who very much ends up saving/redeeming almost everyone she ends up fighting

though both Futari wa and Nanoha do have both leads being very much in love and gay!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

And of course you had sailor moon before both of them, with its first anime starting in March 1992. It is literally older than me.

Hell, the concept of Magical Girls in general can be traced all the way back to 1953 with a manga called Princess Knight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Knight

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Julias posted:

I don't know what classical means in this case, like the old formula from back in the 80s and 90s?

Not too relevant but interesting to note, Furati wa Precure started in February 2004 and and Nanoha A started in October 2005. Magical Doremi started way earlier than both of them in February 1999.

I mean more it's plot is very much like the 90's magical girl shows even if it's been packaged in a very different form

Actually Nanoha aired in 2004 the same year as Precure, which also had Mai Hime air too

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Hell, the concept of Magical Girls in general can be traced all the way back to 1953 with a manga called Princess Knight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Knight

There's a reason Osamu Tezuka is still referred to as the Grandfather of Manga. So much of his work would influence his contemporaries and those that came after, as well as setting the groundwork for several manga genres and tropes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Actually Nanoha aired in 2004 the same year as Precure, which also had Mai Hime air too

Ah you're right, I looked up A, forgetting it was the second season of nanoha, though the first season was still 8 months later than futari wa.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
man there are some interesting things about the old higu anime but after just finishing its adaptation of onikakushi i'm really, really hoping the new series gives individual arcs more time to breathe. that was like ultra mega turbo speed to the point it skipped over a couple entire chunks of stuff that flesh the cast out more

i think... it might be better if the new anime does the first four arcs and saves all of kai for later, instead of ending s1 on chapter 6, cause if you do that you could spread s1 out to 7/7/7/4 for episode distribution for each chapter and that's just like. if you want to do it evenly. four eps for each feels like it's squeezing it way too much for anything but chapter 4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 23, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who never has played the VN and just watched the old anime, what would you consider the ballpark of a good episode-count per arc?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

As someone who never has played the VN and just watched the old anime, what would you consider the ballpark of a good episode-count per arc?

i can't really say specifically because the arcs vary in length a lot in the vn and you necessarily have to change stuff for anime adaptation. so far i just feel like the old anime both doesn't give a lot of its scenes any time to breathe at all, and it skips over stuff like the zombie game and satoko's traps in onikakushi. which aren't like... essential to the plot of the arc, but. so much of higurashi is premised on character dynamics and interactions that cutting away too much of the softer and goofier ones does it a bit of a disservice. like honestly if there's two scenes i'd make longer it's the card game and the festival itself, because in the vn those are where you really start to get a sense for the relationships between everyone, but in the anime they just feel like a footnote. there's also stuff that i think comes off a lot weaker compared to how it's presented in the context of a vn but in that area it gets kinda complicated and i'm really interested to see if the new anime approaches it any differently

at the very least i think like, three more eps would benefit onikakushi a lot specifically, just because then you could fit in all the stuff it cuts away pretty smoothly

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 23, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The OP still bangs, also

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ok i watched another arc and i've transferred from thinking the anime is flawed but has interesting aspects to thinking it's kind of bad. it's uh leaving me feeling very deeply disappointed and empty

like watanagashi isn't my favorite chapter but. the anime version of it was so dull and lifeless i had to look back on the screenshots i took while reading the vn to remind myself that it had personality and wasn't just a series of big scenes rushed through so hard they completely ceased to have anything approaching pacing or impact

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1297409986687991808/pu/vid/640x360/VXMzmeedhafPIG3S.mp4