Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I do find it amusing that's what is intended to be an anti-cheese mechanic ends up being the fastest way to kill the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Internet Kraken posted:

I do find it amusing that's what is intended to be an anti-cheese mechanic ends up being the fastest way to kill the dragon.

It's also the best way to find Ancient Debris in the nether.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the same anti cheese mechanic is what you use in current minecraft to mine for the new rare resource lol

efb

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

life uuuuhh

finds a way

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Clearly the grand prize should be either the lamp or the drapes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Stux posted:

its a charity speedrun event yeah, whats popular is a really good metric to make your game choices on for that and not what a bunch of terminally online people think about them

popular within a highly narrowly defined subset of what's considered "popular" sure. like y'all didn't eyeroll the call of duty run out of the room lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

popular within a highly narrowly defined subset of what's considered "popular" sure. like y'all didn't eyeroll the call of duty run out of the room lol

when did i do that, i watched the run and enjoyed it i think my only comment in here was that the run was really early uk time bcos the runner was uk and people were saying it was "low energy"

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Stux posted:

when did i do that, i watched the run and enjoyed it i think my only comment in here was that the run was really early uk time bcos the runner was uk and people were saying it was "low energy"

Do you mean the CoD run? That was immediately after Doom Eternal. Virtually any game would be "low energy" compared to that.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

poemdexter posted:

Probably because it sold a trillion copies and everyone on earth knows what minecraft is regardless if they've actually played it or not.
Also, a lot of the young people who are starting to get into speed running had their formative years when it was in its heyday; it's zoomer SM64

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Punchy I just watched the Baba is You run and it's one the most glorious things I've seen in my life.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
i've never actually watched this being played in real time but man this is absolutely brutal in motion

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Why does this pokemon gym master look 6'3", jacked, and also 6 years old?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

poemdexter posted:

Character design is one of the Pokemon series strong points IMO

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

poemdexter posted:

its set in england op

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Internet Kraken posted:

All I'm wondering is what they're gonna pull out to keep up donation hype during the 5 hours of pokemon

I for one am going to settle in for another five hours of watching two Pokemon look at each other HP bars go down. :yum:

Fine - this game sold like fifteen million copies and I guess people want to see it run. I am twenty five years too old for any of this.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
for the greater glory of game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Coffee Jones posted:

I for one am going to settle in for another five hours of watching two Pokemon look at each other HP bars go down. :yum:

Fine - this game sold like fifteen million copies and I guess people want to see it run. I am twenty five years too old for any of this.

I mean ending on a big RPG run used to be tradition but yeah I can't exactly say its been thrilling so far. I wonder if there are even any major skips or if this is just the linear story content moved through as quickly as possible

Oh well, it makes good background noise for drawing, and that's all I really need.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the only GDQ "end on an RPG" that jived for me was Super Mario RPG. That game is just kinda interesting regardless, and I remember the runner/couch having a good dynamic.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxyclean posted:

I think the only GDQ "end on an RPG" that jived for me was Super Mario RPG. That game is just kinda interesting regardless, and I remember the runner/couch having a good dynamic.

I really liked the one that ended with Undertale, that was maybe the most hyped I've ever been during GDQ.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm not a fan of long RPG runs ending GDQs. RPGs don't usually make terribly interesting speedruns, to me, so unless they're really broken or I have some sort of nostalgia for the game, I don't watch em. The Undertale run worked cause it was like less than an hour and the runner and couch were super engaging.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i thought i didn't like long rpg speedruns and then i finally sat down and watched a few in vod form where i could pause and restart and take my time watching & turns out some of them can be really entertaining

the ones where they have to count steps for the entirety of the runs to rng manip random battles away are wild

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oxyclean posted:

The one that ended with Chrono Trigger was good for me despite having zero emotional attachment to that game. It was interesting to see run though, and the hype of one million was really exciting.

To me my favorite GDQ ending was still the one where they randomly went "hey if you guys donate enough we'll do a SM64 70 star race" or something and that was an awesome treat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also the long rpgs at the end of the marathon usually have a ton of naming incentives for people to funnel money into which raise kind of a hilarious amount of money

plus (though this is more of a thing for the in-person GDQs) it gives people time to rest and be up for the finale which a lot of people don't want to miss, especially when there's a ton of hype leading up to setting a new goal

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Undertale was good but I liked the Chrono Trigger finale as well. This is.......not a good final run considering how easy the game is and how little you actually do in terms of speed tech.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's been fine and isn't much notably better or worse than other pokemon runs i've seen other than people being kind of obsessed with making GBS threads on the game

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the runners have explained a few times this game has been a challenge to route and has many different options for how you approach it which has only made it more complex lol

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Just watch the 390 hour 100% speed run of that one RPG, please report back in 6 months.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

flatluigi posted:

it's been fine and isn't much notably better or worse than other pokemon runs i've seen other than people being kind of obsessed with making GBS threads on the game

So for example, the SoulSilver run is cool because you have to count exactly how many steps you take starting at the beginning of the game up through Whitney's gym so you can get the exact RNG seed you need to get a Master Ball so you can THEN RNG out a Raikou catch, who shows up in completely random routes every time you switch routes, so doing exactly the right thing is very important at all times.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Stux posted:

the runners have explained a few times this game has been a challenge to route and has many different options for how you approach it which has only made it more complex lol

yeah that too, a lot of the complexity for this run is apparently in coming up with a lot of different strategies to go fast and dealing with the random rolls of the level and stats of the pokemon you pick up including some stuff i didn't know about

stuff you'd only know if you gave the run a shot, of course

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
This guy got farther in 2 hours with 1 pokemon than I have in like 9 months with a full team :negative:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So for example, the SoulSilver run is cool because you have to count exactly how many steps you take starting at the beginning of the game up through Whitney's gym so you can get the exact RNG seed you need to get a Master Ball so you can THEN RNG out a Raikou catch, who shows up in completely random routes every time you switch routes, so doing exactly the right thing is very important at all times.

youre saying this like they havnt been through a bunch of specific stuff theyre doing for this run that theyve explained in detail as well as what the older routes were and why this one is currently preferred

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The chrono trigger finale was the best I've seen, probably because I have such nostalgia for the game but also because the runner was so chill and pleasant to watch and even the glitchless runs of that game are like non-stop routing optimisations and speed tech.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Stux posted:

youre saying this like they havnt been through a bunch of specific stuff theyre doing for this run that theyve explained in detail as well as what the older routes were and why this one is currently preferred

All of the tech so far has just boiled down to Arcanine sweeping everything and in the future it will probably just be Excadrill sweeping what Arcanine can't. Even if it took them a long time to figure out how to min/max the game as quickly and efficiently as possible, that doesn't make it entertaining for people to watch.

But pretty much all Pokemon runs are like this so :shrug:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

And what about that makes it any kind of more interesting to watch?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hope they hit the 2 mil for the extra pokemon dlc run just so everyone can complain more

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Stux posted:

hope they hit the 2 mil for the extra pokemon dlc run just so everyone can complain more

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

bike tory posted:

The chrono trigger finale was the best I've seen, probably because I have such nostalgia for the game but also because the runner was so chill and pleasant to watch and even the glitchless runs of that game are like non-stop routing optimisations and speed tech.

Being live in the crowd for that was great too. Literally everyone was losing their poo poo when the tracker rolled to $3m.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
This beats most other Pokemon runs where they depend on perfect roll starters

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the drilbur is trolling lmao

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
:regd10:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
drat, dowsing rods. I am getting really mad now because we hired a dude (at CEO insistence) to find oil. They moved the well like 40 feet, which is in the range of the random drift of drilling one.