Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Epic High Five posted:

You're free to say you weren't happy with whatever game, what I dont get is why I should care or what it has to do with anything in a GDQ thread. Who cares, yell about it in the pokemon thread or whatever

GDQ is good, speedruns are good. If you are angry at them, you are a bad dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The trend continues. Entire event is generally a little more underwhelming each year, and it spends less and less time as background noise. Though, to be fair, the world is in a tailspin of burning down and playing chicken with a viral pandemic. Also Battletoads sponsored Twitch streams are stealing some more thunder.

Anyway, Baba and Rocko runs were loving gourmet gilded meals from heaven with a glass of ambrosia :discourse:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

XavierGenisi posted:

honestly the calm, detached “stop getting mad lol” lecture posts are worse than them expressing their frustration at how folks tend to just keep making arguments about *insert speedruns here* are bad instead of just leaving it alone with “I don’t care or it or like it so whatever”

It’s sure great to express your actual feelings on the subject and then the response is “wow you’re mad about this! Maybe you should stop being so mad and be chill :) Anyways, this is why this is bad:”

shut up dude

You want my actual feelings? Okay.

Some of you are acting like giant babies because people aren't being unanimously positive about the run/game. Acting like people shouldn't be able to talk about the GAME BEING RUN is absurd. The runners themselves are taking shots at the game. Its a 4 hour run that has very little in the way of visible, flashy speed tech. Of course people are going to talk about the game when the loving runners themselves are doing it.

Your attempt to police posting that is about the RUN and the GAME is infinitely more annoying than any negativity about the run.

Epic High Five posted:

You're free to say you weren't happy with whatever game, what I dont get is why I should care or what it has to do with anything in a GDQ thread. Who cares, yell about it in the pokemon thread or whatever

Yeah why would anyone talk about the game being run when the runners themselves are obviously talking about the game

crazy

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oil! posted:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Alright if you want to make it speedrun specific then I'll give you this: pokemon runs are awful because they're long as hell and they are way too RNG based and have very little execution involved. The current runner had to reset because he didn't get a drilbur after like 6 attempts on a quickball/duskball! A comparison would be the Twilight Princess run, which was long as hell, but the runner always has to execute multiple very interesting tricks and game breaking sequences. Yeah, R/B has some cool tricks, but that's also a solved run - something like sword/shield should be a 4AM tuesday run.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I swear this discussion comes up in every *GDQ thread, which is precisely why I'm choosing not to really engage with it.

Instead, have my thought of choice: $2M HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Andrigaar posted:

Also Battletoads sponsored Twitch streams are stealing some more thunder.

Watched BigJon play Battletoads for about a minute earlier. He didn't say anything. I don't think he was having fun.

(I played Battletoads for a few minutes last night. I was not having fun.)

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I swear this discussion comes up in every *GDQ thread, which is precisely why I'm choosing not to really engage with it.

Instead, have my thought of choice: $2M HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

JethroMcB posted:

Watched BigJon play Battletoads for about a minute earlier. He didn't say anything. I don't think he was having fun.

BigJon is one of the few pure streamers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

honestly didnt think they would break the 2 mil this time with everything, idk if i should watch the dlc run i havnt played it myself yet

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

Alright if you want to make it speedrun specific then I'll give you this: pokemon runs are awful because they're long as hell and they are way too RNG based and have very little execution involved. The current runner had to reset because he didn't get a drilbur after like 6 attempts on a quickball/duskball! A comparison would be the Twilight Princess run, which was long as hell, but the runner always has to execute multiple very interesting tricks and game breaking sequences. Yeah, R/B has some cool tricks, but that's also a solved run - something like sword/shield should be a 4AM tuesday run.

I agree, tho I think the flaw with this one in particular is that it just uses like 3 pokemon in total. Ending with the glorious clusterfuck of a gen 1 all 151 run is better imho. Way crazier and lots more money to raise

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oil! posted:

This is some insane corporatethink. You can like the thing and still dislike elements of the thing. GDQ is good. speedruns are good. If you get angry you are normal.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Borsche69 posted:

This is some insane corporatethink. You can like the thing and still dislike elements of the thing. GDQ is good. speedruns are good. If you get angry you are normal.

No.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Stux posted:

honestly didnt think they would break the 2 mil this time with everything, idk if i should watch the dlc run i havnt played it myself yet

the dlc isn't really a super impressive story, I don't think you'd spoil much

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Epic High Five posted:

I agree, tho I think the flaw with this one in particular is that it just uses like 3 pokemon in total. Ending with the glorious clusterfuck of a gen 1 all 151 run is better imho. Way crazier and lots more money to raise

Sweeping with one OP pokemon is always gonna be faster than trying to actually build a diverse team. It would be interesting to see a run that did that but I dunno if they have ever been at GDQ. I'm not sure what category would force it either.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Playing the game like normal but really good" is hard to makecompelling, like racing and brawler games. Gotta punch it up with lots of craziness

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

DC Murderverse posted:

The best part of the DLC is that you can have your best friend Pokemon walk around with you.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Being angry isn't normal? Having feelings isn't normal? Is it illegal to cry?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Sweeping with one OP pokemon is always gonna be faster than trying to actually build a diverse team. It would be interesting to see a run that did that but I dunno if they have ever been at GDQ. I'm not sure what category would force it either.

Theres a lot of categories, just pick another? Maybe a nuzzlock race or smtg I dunno

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Borsche69 posted:

What the hell is the problem with a negative reaction.
there's a subsection of the pokemon fandom called "dexers" that got so loving upset their favorite pokemon wasn't going to be in sword and shield that it led to some of the most toxic poo poo over nothing i've ever seen on the internet (and I've seen a lot). whining about textures, whining about animations, whining that there were black people, whining about absolutely everything. death threats were sent around! it was gross even disregarding how it got that bad before the game even loving came out. you know how people to this day treat the mass effect ending as a stab to the heart? people were getting even worse and getting even more dramatic

this is why it's so loving tiring to see people roll in with the same old arguments and trying to act all 'golly-gee this sure is the first time anyone's made this observation' to try to spin up the circlejerk again and why it's even more tiring for people to go 'gosh why are you throwing a fit you need to calm down it's so silly you're acting this upset over nothing!!!'

but like the people who are trying to start this poo poo again know exactly what they're doing and explaining this won't really help anything

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Ok?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

JethroMcB posted:

I watched Trihex do similar and take a few breaks. Mexican Runner dropped a bunch of curse words as well a few days ago.

My own experience is 60-90 minutes of getting tired of how much health the enemies have on normal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

not really worried about the story, its more just its nicer seeing stuff fresh and for the first time when you play it yourself...

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Borsche69 posted:

Being angry isn't normal? Having feelings isn't normal? Is it illegal to cry?

I don't want to discount your emotions, but crying over a speedrunning event is a really out there reaction.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oil! posted:

I don't want to discount your emotions, but crying over a speedrunning event is a really out there reaction.

Being upset is fine. It doesn't matter what you get upset over.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Internet Kraken posted:

You want my actual feelings? Okay.

Some of you are acting like giant babies because people aren't being unanimously positive about the run/game. Acting like people shouldn't be able to talk about the GAME BEING RUN is absurd. The runners themselves are taking shots at the game. Its a 4 hour run that has very little in the way of visible, flashy speed tech. Of course people are going to talk about the game when the loving runners themselves are doing it.

Your attempt to police posting that is about the RUN and the GAME is infinitely more annoying than any negativity about the run.

it's the same fuckin poo poo every single gdq any time any jrpg run happens. the same people bitch about the same fuckin things, there's never any new insight, there's never anything different about it.

if a long run does not interest you, don't watch it. i genuinely do not understand why people need to come and post the exact same poo poo year after year any time a pokemon or final fantasy or what the gently caress ever run is on. you're not going to change gdq's minds about running extremely popular games that historically bring in huge amounts of donations, you're not going to suddenly convince the people who do enjoy those runs that they're wrong for doing so, you're just gonna come across as a miserable joyless prick.

hell this is easily the least interested i've ever been in a gdq event as a whole. even ignoring that it's online-only (which is 100% understandable), the list of games has itself been mostly extremely uninteresting to me. i've maybe watched 5 hours total. you know what i haven't done? come in and bitch that gdq isn't catering to my taste in games. it's amazing how easy it is, you should try it some time.

unless a run is particularly terrible in that the runner is a shithead or the run is a total trainwreck, i do not see any value in posting about a run you don't enjoy, especially if it's a run you already knew you would not enjoy ahead of time.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Some they get angry
Some others they get happy
Now two million hype!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Some they get angry
Now two million hype!

:hmmyes::emptyquote:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It dont matta. None a this mattas

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Stux posted:

sucks we're on shield since klara is just such a more fun character than avery tbqh

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

flatluigi posted:

there's a subsection of the pokemon fandom called "dexers" that got so loving upset their favorite pokemon wasn't going to be in sword and shield that it led to some of the most toxic poo poo over nothing i've ever seen on the internet (and I've seen a lot). whining about textures, whining about animations, whining that there were black people, whining about absolutely everything. death threats were sent around! it was gross even disregarding how it got that bad before the game even loving came out. you know how people to this day treat the mass effect ending as a stab to the heart? people were getting even worse and getting even more dramatic

this is why it's so loving tiring to see people roll in with the same old arguments and trying to act all 'golly-gee this sure is the first time anyone's made this observation' to try to spin up the circlejerk again and why it's even more tiring for people to go 'gosh why are you throwing a fit you need to calm down it's so silly you're acting this upset over nothing!!!'

but like the people who are trying to start this poo poo again know exactly what they're doing and explaining this won't really help anything

Quit being so melodramatic about people not loving your billion dollar product universally. I bought and played the game, I'm allowed to dislike it for legitimate reasons.

And when even the people running the game are throwing some criticism at it, I think your poor little heart can endure some people in this thread daring to talk about the game negatively.

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Some they get angry
Now two million hype!

It is impressive that they're gonna hit 2 mil. I thought that was out of reach for this marathon but they really pushed for it.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler

Epic High Five posted:

It dont matta. None a this mattas

At least the donations save lives.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i;m gonna enjoy this run extra hard just to annoy the losers and haterz

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

flatluigi posted:

Alright that's a lot to take in but I think maybe a lot of people just don't want to see a 5.5 hour pokemon run as the last game of SGDQ? I mean those people are one thing, I'm sure, but is an RNG heavy non-execution based run. It's not fun to watch.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

unless a run is particularly terrible in that the runner is a shithead or the run is a total trainwreck, i do not see any value in posting about a run you don't enjoy, especially if it's a run you already knew you would not enjoy ahead of time.

Amen.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It is impressive that they're gonna hit 2 mil. I thought that was out of reach for this marathon but they really pushed for it.

Aye. I'm over the moon about it. These events are some of my major sources of feelgood every year, so very little can take away from that.

Also, the commentary for this run is enjoyable :3:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Futaba Anzu posted:

sucks we're on shield since klara is just such a more fun character than avery tbqh

I'd have been mad about how much shittier my legenddog was if it wasn't so openly flagrant. Like sword dog is literally better in literally every single way

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Aye. I'm over the moon about it. These events are some of my major sources of feelgood every year, so very little can take away from that.

Also, the commentary for this run is enjoyable :3:

Yeah the commentary is nice, they're having fun with it and keeping the energy up which is necessary over a long run.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Ham Wrangler
Can we all agree that this is a really weird elevator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

if a long run does not interest you, don't watch it.

The shot.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i genuinely do not understand why people need to come and post the exact same poo poo year after year any time a pokemon or final fantasy or what the gently caress ever run is on.

The chaser:

If you don't enjoy someone's post then don't read it.