Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Orv posted:

The gently caress?

I'm guessing a really interesting auto correct for Marvel Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It's just tradition that you rewrite Marvel Heroes as something non-related by quasi similar, like Maple Hambos or Marble Hebrons.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So I played the first intro mission thing and woof does this not feel fun at all

Remember the last marvel hero based game, that diablo-like? I assume so. When I played hulk in that I would just jump into reams of enemies and smash them to bits in seconds. Doesn't really feel that way here. The rest of the heroes other than Thor I can take or miss because who cares I just wanted to smash. Also the Taskmaster fight took for goddamn ever although I might have missed some tricks in it I don't know.

Gonna wait on this one.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

You didn't miss anything on the taskmaster fight, it's just a bit janky.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Taskmaster is less of a fight and more of a tutorial for parrying

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
The fact there are people in this thread that aren't just the remnants of Groot Force is impressive

PoultryHammock
Oct 23, 2011

HebrewMagic posted:

The fact there are people in this thread that aren't just the remnants of Groot Force is impressive

Yeah, I get them, they want that decent Marvel game. Those of use already indoctrinated just have to wait and watch the others game test. It still is kinda baffling, Disney could corner a market and they just seem to flounder with all these properties. Don't have a PS4 though, Spooder-Guy sounds pretty rad on that platform.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Disney's CEO once got rid of their gaming division because he just didnt like videogames.

Also the type of talent thats attracted to big IP and big money have a ton of grifters. You certainly won't find these sorts involved in Dark Souls but they sure as hell pop over to Amazon or Disney.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

NM

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am here to say that the game that allows me to grab enemies with the hand of Kamala Khan and bash them into other baddies deserves all of my money. She’s the best.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Kamala is probably the only hero that got a shred of charisma and funny lines, like:

Jarvis: The AIM lab is underground.
Kamala (whispering to herself): Mole people

I put a few hours into the beta and I think it's very underwhelming. Especially the combat feels janky and silly, skills don't really weave into each other cause it's hard to keep focus on one enemy, even with camera lock. Too often my characters do stuff I don't want them to, like grab the wrong ledge or shoot a skill into a random direction. Big dudes like Hulk and Tony in the Hulk Buster armor don't feel smashy enough. It's really hard to keep track of where your companions are and how to support them. It also seems like they put a lot more work into popular heroes like Iron Man, who feels a lot more fluid and has better animations than the other characters and can fight in 3 dimensions cause of flight - he's a lot like Anthem's Ranger javelin.

The early access for deluxe preorders starts on Sept 1st and in only 1 week of crunch time they won't be able to turn this around.

I might still get it, cause as a basic hero smasher it's kinda ok and it's uncomplicated to jump in and do 1-2 quick missions with AI companions. But in the long run I do not expect a rewarding endgame or much gameplay depth.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 23, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Hammerstein posted:

I put a few hours into the beta and I think it's very underwhelming.
I agree with everything there. Also the art style of the game is so bland which ends up doubly disappointing in a game that feels like it took a ton of money to make

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

gently caress, went back this weekend to see if the performance improved and just hated every second :smith: Maybe it's because the GaaS missions were the only thing left and the campaign was promising?? I can't even remember what I found enjoyable at first

also I noticed that you literally can't reach some turrets manually because the camera won't let you move high enough, you have to rely on the unrestricted autoaim

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Kamala is probably the only hero that got a shred of charisma and funny lines, like:

Jarvis: The AIM lab is underground.
Kamala (whispering to herself): Mole people

I put a few hours into the beta and I think it's very underwhelming. Especially the combat feels janky and silly, skills don't really weave into each other cause it's hard to keep focus on one enemy, even with camera lock. Too often my characters do stuff I don't want them to, like grab the wrong ledge or shoot a skill into a random direction. Big dudes like Hulk and Tony in the Hulk Buster armor don't feel smashy enough. It's really hard to keep track of where your companions are and how to support them. It also seems like they put a lot more work into popular heroes like Iron Man, who feels a lot more fluid and has better animations than the other characters and can fight in 3 dimensions cause of flight - he's a lot like Anthem's Ranger javelin.

The early access for deluxe preorders starts on Sept 1st and in only 1 week of crunch time they won't be able to turn this around.

I might still get it, cause as a basic hero smasher it's kinda ok and it's uncomplicated to jump in and do 1-2 quick missions with AI companions. But in the long run I do not expect a rewarding endgame or much gameplay depth.

But hey tony is "funny" right. Don't the youth like this type of "humor"?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

iron man seems like he should be fun to play but his controls are so loving bad and the aiming is so terrible it just feels awful

it’s insane that as much money goes into these franchises that we’ve gotten exactly two that have been any good (Arkham and Spider-Man), and the rest aren’t even like replacement level. like how much money did this project take when absolutely everybody from the moment it was debuted accurately assessed that if looked like poo poo. wild

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Ruffian Price posted:

gently caress, went back this weekend to see if the performance improved and just hated every second :smith:
it actually ended up running really well on my PC (ryzen 3600x, 1660 super), too bad the visuals are so uninspired

this is something that feels like I would pick up on sale and play for a week, which is bad for something that's supposed to be a long term live service game

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Dpulex posted:

But hey tony is "funny" right. Don't the youth like this type of "humor"?

Speaking of Tony, the Ranger javelin in loving Anthem feels like a better Iron Man experience than Iron Man in this trash game and the Colossus offers better Hulk gameplay. Yeah, that's how bad the beta is.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 23, 2020

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mandrel posted:

iron man seems like he should be fun to play but his controls are so loving bad and the aiming is so terrible it just feels awful

it’s insane that as much money goes into these franchises that we’ve gotten exactly two that have been any good (Arkham and Spider-Man), and the rest aren’t even like replacement level. like how much money did this project take when absolutely everybody from the moment it was debuted accurately assessed that if looked like poo poo. wild

Did we forget Lego Marvel???

I sure hope there’s a quick join on release.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I wouldn't say the game is bad from what I played... It's no Anthem. But it's really not that good either. It'll go on my wishlist until there's a 50% sale or it pops up on xbox live or a humble monthly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It feels less that the game is unsalvageable and more that it’s not ready for launch. Terrible controls, frame rate issues on PS4, and multiplayer disconnect bugs abound. The core gameplay is the same tired crap we’ve played a dozen times with a different skin. If the loot was interesting that might help distract from the rest (Borderlands 2 is the ultimate example of this) but the drops I saw were pretty unexciting.

There’s no killer feature that makes you want to slog through the broken half-finished mess that is the rest of the game. They really need to delay launch a few months. Unfortunately because its 2020 they’ll release the incomplete game and try to fix it with patches later.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I played for an hour. That’s it. I can find the good in anything and I am a big time optimist at heart.

The cons heavily outweigh the pros. And it really, really riles me up. Here’s what I wrote:

Marvel’s Avengers: Also Known As Marvel’s Cash Grab
By Stanley L.E. Lee

Milkshakes bring all the boys and girls to the yard. A Marvel game brings all the boys and girls out to the yard. It’s above and beyond a milkshake, or so I thought.

Milkshakes come in a wide variety of flavors. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, cookies and cream, cookie dough and the list goes on. They have toppings on them, different sizes, and the list continues to go on.

Marvel’s Avengers is a vanilla milkshake. And I am way too hungry and fat to keep going with this so let me get to the basics.

This game is a cash grab. It was not made for you to have fun. It was made for you to get behind the characters and have some control on them. It’s not about the itch to play the game and further progress and collect loot and explore—it’s to say, “Oh, cool. I am playing as Iron Man. I’m flying! Did you see that? I am flying just like he did! Oh, cool! I am doing his Arc Reactor Beam move! That’s really cool!”

You pull out your Johnson & Johnson shampoo and rinse and repeat and hopefully with that, get no tears.

The gear you acquire is lackluster, strung together with a few affixes that you’ll never really feel any difference in from upgrade to upgrade. If the number looks bigger, it looks like you simply equip that and that’s it. There’s even a button that does that for you. Don’t spend any time here, despite the game being known as a looter.

The enemies, while we have been told are more diverse in the final product, have a very special set of skills that they have acquired in their training: the ability to run at you. They are very good at that and I have no doubt that Taskmaster’s training school for villains taught them how to be expert enemies by mastering this move.

That means the combat will consist of you doing this:

1) Move forward
2) Wait for the enemy to charge at you
3) Move forward more and keep the enemy charging at you
4) Press buttons, whatever buttons you want, and you’ll perform some combos and you’ll beat the enemies into submission.
5) Go grab that shampoo I mentioned earlier and rinse and repeat and hey, keep those tears at bay. That’s what the shampoo is for.

As for performance, remember, it’s just a beta and we have never been down this road before. Betas are typically very unfinished and the actual game releases, which in this case is in 9 days, will be flawless and those times in the game where Hulk bugs out to look like King Louie from Jungle Book or gets stuck in the geometry like Matthew McConaughey did in Interstellar will simply iron themselves out naturally for the game’s launch on September 1st for Deluxe Edition owners. While this happens a lot in the beta, again, and I can’t stress this enough, it’s just a beta and mistakes happen all the time 9 days before a game’s launch and don’t worry about the frames per second. Just don’t worry about them. Or the massive run-on sentences before this one.

We do have history that points to betas being heavy indicators in the past that with scientific fact, and it goes something like this; If a beta is a bad, that means the game’s final product will not be bad. We can be assured of this not through the gameplay, but through the way this game will make money and that’s through its robust in-game marketplace.

Palette swaps, emotes, original costumes and much, much more will be available for launch. Many exclusives that you can get through Verizon, Intel, 5 Gum and many others show that this game is about decorating your character to look however you want them to—for a cost. While DLC characters and missions will be free, Crystal Dynamics is banking on you keeping their game alive with the marketplace purchases. We will all be following along as the whales and great white sharks of the world buy everything in the shop, with their 300 hours logged on with the caveat that 290 of those were spent idle in the Helicarrier.

But, I digress. All of the above, I digress. This game has plenty of positives. Here they are:

Kamala Khan has a good personality and a fun combat set compared to the others.
Black Widow is probably the best anybody has ever seen in a game where she was a playable character.
Photo mode looks pretty good.
Those first times you do some juggle moves on enemies is fun.
Some of the bugs you experience end up being really, really hilarious.
This is a Marvel game and many folks love the opportunity to play a Marvel game due to emotional investment.
Kamala Khan and Black Widow seriously are the shining stars of this game and I, for one, can appreciate some good woman empowerment.

And that should be enough for me, and many other fans, to determine the buy potential on this.

If you want my humble opinion, and my goodness, its humble score is out of this world, you should wait on this game. It is a Games as a Service game and history shows these games don’t launch well.

However, if you are somebody who has the money to burn, impossibly low standards, and just love shiny, new things, you should buy this.

I’m this person. The above one-sentence paragraph. I won’t like this. It’s not good.

But I’m bored. And I want to believe in something good, somehow. So, let me be the martyr and buy this.

I’ll see you on September 4th. Maybe we can make a mountain out of this wet, soggy mole hill together.

Stanley L.E. Lee is a journalist who went to school at the Nathan Silver’s 538th Division of Journalismers. He likes video games. He also hates them. He’s a bit indecisive, most of the time and sometimes.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

ICR posted:

If you want my humble opinion, and my goodness, its humble score is out of this world, you should wait on this game. It is a Games as a Service game and history shows these games don’t launch well.

However, if you are somebody who has the money to burn, impossibly low standards, and just love shiny, new things, you should buy this.

I’m this person. The above one-sentence paragraph. I won’t like this. It’s not good.

Stanley L.E. Lee is a journalist who went to school at the Nathan Silver’s 538th Division of Journalismers. He likes video games. He also hates them. He’s a bit indecisive, most of the time and sometimes.

Same, I'll be there but I cant believe this game gets what it needs at launch and if I'm being honest with myself it won't get it after launch and after about hour 20 i'll put it down and forget to ever pick it up again.

I actually decided to not get Last Epoch beta this weekend so I can save it as a palette cleansing chaser to Avengers.

My big internal debate now is what to get it for. I played it on ps4 and pc. Despite having a moderatly beefy rig that can push 4k the game runs and feels like rear end on it. I want it for the pc, but I just feel like the user experience is somehow going to be worse, and support for pc will be even more of an afterthought.

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 23, 2020

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I got called out by my wife on this game. I said I was thinking about getting it on PC, but seeing Spider-Man is the PS4 exclusive character it made me pause.

"Look, you're gonna buy it on both. You'll wait until the PS5 is out and you'll buy the PS4 version because you have no self control."

God dammit. She's right.

I ended up getting it on PC tho. So uh, I'll suffer along with ya'll.

I liked Anthem well enough even though it was poo poo in the end. I figure worst case I enjoy the story for a few hours, probably pop back in when Hawkguy comes out and maybe if Dr. Strange comes out at some point (or Ant Man) but likely it'll be forgotten in my library.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Tensokuu posted:

I got called out by my wife on this game. I said I was thinking about getting it on PC, but seeing Spider-Man is the PS4 exclusive character it made me pause.

"Look, you're gonna buy it on both. You'll wait until the PS5 is out and you'll buy the PS4 version because you have no self control."

God dammit. She's right.

I ended up getting it on PC tho. So uh, I'll suffer along with ya'll.

I liked Anthem well enough even though it was poo poo in the end. I figure worst case I enjoy the story for a few hours, probably pop back in when Hawkguy comes out and maybe if Dr. Strange comes out at some point (or Ant Man) but likely it'll be forgotten in my library.

Love you my brother.

We’ll trudge through this together for launch. You too Garuda! Gotta keep the Marvel crew together and I will always believe that even the shittiest games can be fun if you have the right community around it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

If you want a game with fawning attention to detail, unlockable characters, emotes and perks, that captures the feel of the movie series that inspired it, and just a bit of jankiness, play Friday the 13th. I’d argue it’s the best licensed movie based game in at least the last ten years.

If you want a soulless cash grab with meaningless loot, a drab and lackluster art style, and nausea-inducing camerawork, play the Avengers.

That said, I’ll...see y’all on September 4th...cause Cap.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Retrowave Joe posted:

If you want a game with fawning attention to detail, unlockable characters, emotes and perks, that captures the feel of the movie series that inspired it, and just a bit of jankiness, play Friday the 13th. I’d argue it’s the best licensed movie based game in at least the last ten years.

If you want a soulless cash grab with meaningless loot, a drab and lackluster art style, and nausea-inducing camerawork, play the Avengers.

That said, I’ll...see y’all on September 4th...cause Cap.

gently caress yeah my friend!!! Well, I’ll see you not just in our phone game but yes, here too!!

There’ll come another game sometime down the line I can get really loving hyped up over (it might be Last Epoch as it continues to just deliver on its promises, but it’s still in its infancy, yet is incredibly good) but yeah, it ain’t this one.

That said, again, see many of y’all for September 4th! We’ll make the most of it, through many complaints and many fun times too. Let it ride.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
4 crashes in 3 hours, not a good sign. Graphics are very nice though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So which of you suckers are gonna be on PS4 because if I'm gonna do multiplayer, I'm not doing it with pubbies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’d be careful mentioning Marvel and milkshakes in the same breath.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Soonmot posted:

So which of you suckers are gonna be on PS4 because if I'm gonna do multiplayer, I'm not doing it with pubbies.

Buy it for me and I'll ride side saddle until the end of the earth

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Soonmot posted:

I'll be on PS4, seems like PC is a gamble with the game's stability issues

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'll be on PS4, I was thinking about PC, because it's a Nixxes port, but not with what I've heard.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’ll be on PS4 when the game hits 50% off. So about the 18th then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

jabro posted:

Same with this.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m buying on PS4 and I’ll get it day one cause I have nothing else better to do and it’ll be something I can play in small bursts between classes I guess since I’m doing University from home this semester.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

My BFF bought it so you've got EffEmmEll and GodlikePanda982 on PSN who are going to be playing this. (pls mention you're a marvel goon)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’m just doing PS4 so I get the ps5 upgrade when that hits. I’m a loser

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Any Aus goons going to join me in playing a bad game again?

Nastrado on PSN

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

jabro posted:

Why not just wait till it goes F2P in a couple of months though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Anthem still isn’t F2P and if that hasn’t gone F2P I think Avengers definitely won’t.