Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

turmo was impeached lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

ed miliband eating a bacon sandwich and it was an election losing scandal lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Doctor Teeth posted:

boris johnson is the peak achievement of the british education system lmao

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

turmo was impeached lol

and it still didn't matter lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Flavius Aetass posted:

and it still didn't matter lmao

not true, it vindicated him and his strategies

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Julia Roberts made a movie about how being a neoliberal political operative abroad was cool and good

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

El_Elegante posted:

Julia Roberts made a movie about how being a neoliberal political operative abroad was cool and good

i thought that was sandra bullock unless there's a julia roberts movie im forgetting (very possible)

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
you right

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

babypolis posted:

thats a funny angle i hadnt considered but yeah, its true. she could have chosen some other dumb idea that was just as worthless but actually doable in concept and just coasted to a multibillion dollar valuation

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the idea, in a vacuum, is extremely not worthless, it's just laughably impossible to realize

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
obama acting like it was a racial offense when 2008 joe biden pointed out that he was more qualified than a first-term senator to be the president

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ALFbrot posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the idea, in a vacuum, is extremely not worthless, it's just laughably impossible to realize

If you're going so broad that the concept is "miniaturizing blood testing" then yeah, that would be great. A lot of blood tests use a lot of blood and that's bad for a number of reasons. Theranos tried multiple variations on this and all of them very rapidly hit a brick wall of "forcing the blood through such small spaces destroys it before it can even be tested." If you can figure out how to overcome that you've come up with some very cool fluids stuff with a lot of possible applications, but so far everybody's coming up blank and Theranos never had any realistic method for dealing with it.

The one technique they did have that worked was lying to people while subletting the tests.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ALFbrot posted:

What she wanted to do was impossible but if she'd had an impossible idea outside the field of medicine she'd probably still be chugging along. That's pretty much the one field you can't do this bullshit in.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

Mark Wahlberg's later career being entirely bankrolled to paper over and freshen up American atrocities

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the American Sniper learning first hand why guns and PTSD shouldn’t mix

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Saw a Chris Kyle bumper sticker today lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

obama acting like it was a racial offense when 2008 joe biden pointed out that he was more qualified than a first-term senator to be the president

biden called him articulate and the first clean black guy politician

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao trump straight up killed Herman Cain

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
joe biden cried when his boss gave him an award haha

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
in the late 70s israel & south africa conducted a clandestine nuclear weapons test over the indian ocean & israel to this very day continues to get away with having dozens of fully undocumented nukes

just lmao

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

in the late 70s israel & south africa conducted a clandestine nuclear weapons test over the indian ocean & israel to this very day continues to get away with having dozens of fully undocumented nukes

just lmao

Well so does Saudi-Arabia so there's some balance in the world.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

lol

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

What she wanted to do was impossible but if she'd had an impossible idea outside the field of medicine she'd probably still be chugging along. That's pretty much the one field you can't do this bullshit in.

just lmao at thinking that you can't get away with a grift in the field of medicine

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

El Mero Mero posted:

just lmao at thinking that you can't get away with a grift in the field of medicine

not for something as concrete as blood testing. if it can be reliably, empirically tested and has life or death consequences, that's pretty bad territory for a grift. clever medical grifters work on the margins in matters where there is no reliable test, treatment, or even a method of quantifying the problem, i.e. neurofeedback interventions sold to parents of children with autistic spectrum disorder, or treatments directed at diagnoses of exclusion like fibromyalgia

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

My good fellow, might I interest you in these homeopathic remedies I just cooked up? They cure anything and everything, with no side effects!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Piano Dads performing at Trump’s inauguration 27 years ago.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

just lmao

Israel is the number one greatest nuclear threat to the western world because they promised they would strike european capitals and the us if they got overrun

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Fun fact, in literally the last month LEGO was about to release an Osprey model in collaboration with Boeing but pulled it just before the official release date (some international stores sold their stock anyway and the sets are reselling for thousands).

Why did they pull it? When built according to the instructions, the model Osprey has a fatal flaw that causes pieces to strain and break during normal operation of the moving rotors, rendering it inoperable

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

We came dangerously close to living in a Bush => Clinton => Bush => Clinton => Bush presidential timeline.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Brettbug Stevens furiously Google searching "nazis Jews bedbugs" and posting evidence that nazis called Jews bedbugs, which upon further inspection was a primary source about nazis trying to eradicate literal bedbugs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Victory Position posted:

Mark Wahlberg's later career being entirely bankrolled to paper over and freshen up American atrocities

Mark Wahlberg jumped a vietnamese man and got a slap on the wrist

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

AARP LARPer posted:

Piano Dads performing at Trump’s inauguration 27 years ago.

billy joel would never

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Doctor Teeth posted:

The same newspapers that talked about Ed “rootless cosmopolitan” “can’t eat pork wink wink” Miliband all pretended to care about antisemitism a few years later.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

El Mero Mero posted:

The US government injected a load of black guys with syphilis just to see what would happen if you didn't treat it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MikeCrotch posted:

The US government injected a load of black guys with syphilis just to see what would happen if you didn't treat it

atrocities are not a grift unless you make it profitable

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MikeCrotch posted:

They didn’t actually inject them with syphilis, they merely promised them medical care but instead let them rot for four decades despite the cure for syphilis, penicillin, becoming available in the second decade of the study.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

IAMKOREA posted:

Brettbug Stevens furiously Google searching "nazis Jews bedbugs" and posting evidence that nazis called Jews bedbugs, which upon further inspection was a primary source about nazis trying to eradicate literal bedbugs.

any time a media person posts a Google Books search result with the query still highlighted

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Israel is the number one greatest nuclear threat to the western world because they promised they would strike european capitals and the us if they got overrun

there is almost certainly no way they have missile technology able to deliver a nuke to the us

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah the Samson Option is Europe and the Middle East.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Thinking about Michael Bloomberg's campaign, which was incomprehensibly bad.

I remember the audience at the first debate going "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at his expense while the other candidates just ripped into him.

Advertisements like "Trump Likes His Steak Well Done!", C-Grade night club comedian humor.

Then Bloomberg won a small United States territory in the primaries. Millions of dollars set ablaze for that. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah then if biden wins he gets a seat in a new administration and if biden loses he becomes the most influential person in the dnc who will vet all policies. and the most popular candidate and second place dude will get told to crawl off and die.