Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I first started my pre-rona job I was working four-six hour split shifts every other day at random times, including graveyards.

Every restaurant job ever has pulled the 39.5 poo poo. The difference between "good worker" and "future manager" is whether you go "oh golly boss I love hours" and also stick around to do poo poo after you've clocked out, or have human dignity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had a job that hosed with my hours like that in completely unpredictable ways. I thought it was something to stop me from job hunting because they had a retention problem, but then they also sent me to a client that was actively hiring people with my skill set for a lot more money, so I’ll just chalk it up to incompetence and having three people making my schedule.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

letthereberock posted:

I remember Robot Chicken had a funny sendup of the whole thing.

“The Olsen twins - they’re legal man!”
“Dude, you’re 36”

https://youtu.be/xkvggF3laSE

(Apologize that it's somebody recording their TV. Only version of the clip I could find.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

rydiafan posted:

https://youtu.be/xkvggF3laSE

(Apologize that it's somebody recording their TV. Only version of the clip I could find.)

The gently caress was that? I feel like I need to shower in bleach!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd recommend anyone interested in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to skip the first season (26 episodes) and watch it at a later date. Less because it's a middling horror-story about punching vampires, more because one of the heroes important to the climax is an unrepentant Nazi who commits numerous atrocities. Thankfully his only other appearance in the series is as an alternate-universe minor villain who gets his rear end kicked.

TBF, turning one of your soldiers into a solar powered cyborg to fight weird occult beings sounds exactly like something weird Nazi doctors might do. poo poo got weird

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015
The pedo rock from the 70s reminds me of the glam metal/rockish songs that came out during the 80s
Such as Felony by Dokken and Wait for You by Bonham
The lyrics don’t even try to hide it, it’s very disturbing :gonk:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Also, that first season is parts 1 and 2 so you're missing out on two jojos, not just the one who gets a robot hand from the nazis.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'd recommend anyone interested in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to skip the first season (26 episodes) and watch it at a later date. Less because it's a middling horror-story about punching vampires, more because one of the heroes important to the climax is an unrepentant Nazi who commits numerous atrocities. Thankfully his only other appearance in the series is as an alternate-universe minor villain who gets his rear end kicked.

Given how I've seen several people defend fictional unrepentant war criminals, up to and including those responsible for genocide, I feel like for a lot of people this wouldn't be a negative.

It's genuinely unsettling to me sometimes.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Cleretic posted:

Given how I've seen several people defend fictional unrepentant war criminals, up to and including those responsible for genocide, I feel like for a lot of people this wouldn't be a negative.

i can unbookmark the ffxiv thread but i can't escape you complaining about emet-selch

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

somepartsareme posted:

i can unbookmark the ffxiv thread but i can't escape you complaining about emet-selch

I can pull out Metal Gear if it'll help you feel better.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

somepartsareme posted:

:lmao: I approve of this extremely niche posting grudge.

have you heard of, like, call of duty? have you ever met a WH40k fan who likes space marines? you know there are legions of people who actually joined the loving united states marine corps and became war criminals themselves because they were inspired by Full Metal Jacket??? jus' sayin', very few people are gonna see that post and think "ah yes, just like fans of final fantasy fourteen".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DontMockMySmock posted:

have you heard of, like, call of duty? have you ever met a WH40k fan who likes space marines? you know there are legions of people who actually joined the loving united states marine corps and became war criminals themselves because they were inspired by Full Metal Jacket??? jus' sayin', very few people are gonna see that post and think "ah yes, just like fans of final fantasy fourteen".

I mean I am a known hater of FFXIV's Sad, Unrepentant Genocide-Committer, but yeah, this is something that comes up a lot, both inside and outside of actual war fiction. Just off the top of my head I can think of multiple instances in Metal Gear, a lot around Marvel's villains (and the Punisher deserves a whole column of his own), WH40k, somehow loving Ganondorf and Gendo Ikari sometimes...

The only big series I can think of that has awful villains that people won't root for is Gundam, but that's a series basically designed around using a 21-mortar salute to say 'WAR IS BAD'. But even there, Wow Cool Robot factor means their merch still sells, and ever since Char they do have a tendency of 'the one cool, non-fascist guy in the fascist army'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DontMockMySmock posted:

In 2008 i worked with a guy who was joining the marines because "I hate school and they'll teach me to kill people" I can't remember his name but I always wonder what came of that guy

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’d like to take a moment to point out the insane dissonance of this magazine cover. We have articles about :

• One of the greatest atrocities of the Iraq War.
  • A decorated actor discussing a decorated actor.
  • Getting horny over barely-legal teens.

Just because it’s the annual hot issue doesn’t mean they can ignore the horror of Bush era foreign policy!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a very mainstream American culture kind of thing. A lot of other cultures and countries have people living with their parents until marriage - and in some culture marriage just means expanding the extended family house to make room, if needed.

It's also ahistorical for American culture though. The Boomers were the ones who glamorized this trend, not recognizing the historic opportunity they were given to get cheap housing after World War 2. But their experience was THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE and thus anyone who didn't fit in that mold must have something wrong with them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also that Star Wars charity organization that only dress up like the bad guys.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Any TV show where not getting paid overtime is a big deal.

In the 5th season of the Wire it's a key plot point that the police are no longer getting overtime, and this is positioned as "without overtime pay I can't work long enough hours to do my job", rather than "without overtime pay I still have to do my job but without getting paid". It's so hard to empathise with anyone in that situation when every job I've had is "if you won't work overtime for no pay we'll just hire someone who will".

(And that's not even counting how hard it is to empathise in general since they're all cops...)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's also ahistorical for American culture though. The Boomers were the ones who glamorized this trend, not recognizing the historic opportunity they were given to get cheap housing after World War 2. But their experience was THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE and thus anyone who didn't fit in that mold must have something wrong with them.

I don't think that's true, though. Sure, owning your very own house in the suburbs in your early 20s peaked with white middle-class boomers, but "leave your family to pursue your future and never look back as soon as you're able" has a much longer pedigree, even if it meant living in flophouses.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Len posted:

In 2008 i worked with a guy who was joining the marines because "I hate school and they'll teach me to kill people" I can't remember his name but I always wonder what came of that guy

Last I heard Trump pardoned him.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

gaydad posted:

The pedo rock from the 70s reminds me of the glam metal/rockish songs that came out during the 80s
Such as Felony by Dokken and Wait for You by Bonham
The lyrics don’t even try to hide it, it’s very disturbing :gonk:

One of the big funk classics you still hear DJs spin at hipster bars and summer parties in the UK is this. Which probably should have a big hit at the time (1982) except it’s about waiting for a school girl to reach the age of consent and then demanding her to give up her virginity. But man that bass is dope!

Let’s not forget Young Girl by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. The overall moral is: You are too young for me, girl, and I understand that, but you tried to lead me on and it’s your fault, and I’m about a whisker away from raping you anyway.

knife_of_justice has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Aug 23, 2020

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Young people don't like Friends and Seinfeld because they're some idealistic lifestyle shows. They like them because they're funny, well-written shows that still largely hold up today. And they were shot on film and are shown in HD widescreen today. Wait until Seinfeld hits Netflix and Friends is dropped. The popularity will swap.

Lots of sitcoms do the "unrealistic New York apareltment", even today.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

wa27 posted:

Young people don't like Friends and Seinfeld because they're some idealistic lifestyle shows. They like them because they're funny, well-written shows that still largely hold up today.

Citation needed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I hold a nostalgic place in my heart for friends.

It’s not a funny show

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Detective No. 27 posted:

Citation needed

Yeah wtf haha

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Cleretic posted:

Keep in mind this was originally written back when nobody had any reason to think that Nazis would ever make a major resurgence.

Also Parts 1 and 2 are unironically good and should never be skipped. The first half of Part 3 is the weakest of the entire series and I would definitely not recommend anyone to start on that.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Aug 23, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Humor is subjective so if you like Friends's bland humor, whatever. But it's bold to say that it holds up well today because there were pages of discussion about how homophobic and stuff the show was earlier in this very thread.

Seinfeld probably has a lot of stuff that didn't age well, but it's still hilarious and was doing stuff that just wasn't done in conventional sitcoms of it's day.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Keep in mind this was originally written back when nobody had any reason to think that Nazis would ever make a major resurgence.

eh, some of us kinda did

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Parts one and two are boring. The only good partvis Joseph who does in fact rule

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the younger crowd really needs to get into frasier imho

we could all use some scrambled eggs

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Parts one and two are boring. The only good partvis Joseph who does in fact rule

You know you've got a good protag when the first thing you see him do is beat the poo poo out of racists.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Joseph Bugs Bunny's his way into a Nazi base. It owns.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

You know you've got a good protag when the first thing you see him do is beat the poo poo out of racists.

Permanently cripple racist cops no less

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlestheHammer posted:

gently caress you, buddy. Speedwagon is the friend we all wish we had.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Also it's worth noting that no one in-series actually likes Stroheim, they just sort of tolerate him and use his technology to their advantage because they're fighting omnicidal vampire gods.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Speaking of Seinfeld, just saw the episode where his car gets stolen. Kramer comes up with a great idea: "Call your car phone".

Thinking back, so many episodes depend on not knowing where someone was, or being able to get ahold of them.

Life before cell phones, I tell you what....:corsair:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was crazy in the before time. The phones were stuck to the wall and you had to kind of know where you were going before you started going somewhere.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think that's true, though. Sure, owning your very own house in the suburbs in your early 20s peaked with white middle-class boomers, but "leave your family to pursue your future and never look back as soon as you're able" has a much longer pedigree, even if it meant living in flophouses.

Pre-World War two the United States was still mostly farming communities. You were expected to help at home and build the farm but it took off when the suburbs were accessible after the highway system and cars became common place.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Humor is subjective so if you like Friends's bland humor, whatever. But it's bold to say that it holds up well today because there were pages of discussion about how homophobic and stuff the show was earlier in this very thread.
That's fair enough, I just mean the overall structure and humor of traditional sitcoms hasn't changed much since then. I'm not going to say the problematic storylines are fine today.

And for the record, I'm a Seinfeld guy. But I do think Friends holds its own with most of the mainstream popular sitcoms today. It's easy to see why it's still popular with young adults, and it's not because it's an "idealistic pre-9/11 world" or whatever people were saying on the last page.

Like ten years ago I did think "anything with a laugh track is going to be considered archaic soon, and nobody will be watching Friends reruns." But then the Big Bang Theory became huge so what the hell do I know?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's easy to forget, but, Friends was kinda groundbreaking for it's time due to its focusing on a "younger" cast.
Like, I remember there was some retrospective I had read after the show ended, and they mentioned how when they were pitching the show, network execs wanted the Friends to be like supporting cast for some older character that they would go to for advice, and not the main headliners of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

Speaking of Seinfeld, just saw the episode where his car gets stolen. Kramer comes up with a great idea: "Call your car phone".

Thinking back, so many episodes depend on not knowing where someone was, or being able to get ahold of them.

Life before cell phones, I tell you what....:corsair:

There's an episode of Sunny where they make a big deal over Dennis getting an iPhone. It's kinda funny to look back on it now.