Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Buy color change ceiling paint. Your second, third, and fourth coats will thank me. Start with a good primer though and it will help with the fresh drywall sucking in all your paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Please, for the love of god, do not texture your your friend's ceiling.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Please, for the love of god, do not texture your your friend's ceiling.

Textured ceilings have always been ugly. Forever and ever. How the hell has ANYBODY liked that other than literally having to hide something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Textured ceilings have always been ugly. Forever and ever. How the hell has ANYBODY liked that other than literally having to hide something?

Seriously. Textured ceiling are for one reason and one reason only: we hired somebody who barely knows how to mud and sand.

And the guy who did that job was suggesting texture. I can see why.

That looks like a first coat over the tape. It's gonna need another coat that fathered out more, then more sanding. Then lots of primer.

How long as that been bare drywall? It looks oddly brown/yellow, like it's been up for a few years without any paint. If that's the case it probably needs to be cleaned as well before the primer.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If you think textured ceilings are bad, you should see my laundry / master closet. They thought it would be a good idea to continue the popcorn down the walls. They also didn't bother to remove or cover up the lightswitch before they did it. I've scrapped my knuckles more than once in the dark, surprised I haven't left any blood behind yet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nevets posted:

If you think textured ceilings are bad, you should see my laundry / master closet. They thought it would be a good idea to continue the popcorn down the walls. They also didn't bother to remove or cover up the lightswitch before they did it. I've scrapped my knuckles more than once in the dark, surprised I haven't left any blood behind yet.

bro, you know you can get new ones for 47¢ at Home Depot right? Your knuckles will thank you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And if this process is new to you seriously get a quote from a drywaller that has proof they can do a really smooth job.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sirotan posted:

bro, you know you can get new ones for 47¢ at Home Depot right? Your knuckles will thank you.

I watched a guy return 3 wall plates at Lowe's the other day. I'd have just tossed em it would cost me about $2 in gas to retrieve 2.10 in refunds.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nevets posted:

We have textured ceilings.

They also decided to do this swirly plaster effect in the bathroom AND kitchen.

In my office the whole room was a mottled black/brown suede texture.

In the foyer they wallpapered, then put up cheap plaster then ran a comb, poorly, down it all.

I swear my house was like a test bed for a group of 13 year olds doing arts and crafts projects.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I also suffer from the same condition you do, every time I walk into HD I forget half of the poo poo I was supposed to buy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nevets posted:

I also suffer from the same condition you do, every time I walk into HD I forget half of the poo poo I was supposed to buy.

I didn't forget it, I just broke it like a clumsy idiot and had to get a new one. Totally different !!

I went back on my lunch hour and got two lamp sockets so now I can be an idiot one more time if necessary

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

tater_salad posted:

I watched a guy return 3 wall plates at Lowe's the other day. I'd have just tossed em it would cost me about $2 in gas to retrieve 2.10 in refunds.

Pro strat is shoving them into a box in the garage for "later use".

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Maybe he was on the job: now he gets to bill another hour labor + mileage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My basement bedroom has the swirly plaster ceiling and it’s probably riddled with asbestos. :ohdear:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
The worst part about textured ceilings is that they are essentually unpatchable unless you don't care what they look like, so good luck ever moving a fixture or fixing damage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

stealie72 posted:

The worst part about textured ceilings is that they are essentually unpatchable unless you don't care what they look like, so good luck ever moving a fixture or fixing damage.

I get decent results with a can of spray texture but it's definitely way more of a pain doing it to the ceiling instead of a wall.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

stealie72 posted:

I did a whole dumb rear end tutorial on this poo poo in the fix it fast thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407&pagenumber=712&perpage=40#post506885402

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 21, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

mutata posted:

I did a whole dumb rear end tutorial on this poo poo in the fix it fast thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407&pagenumber=712&perpage=40#post506885402

That is an excellent tutorial. Unfortunately, I've got the kind of texture where you smush on a skimcoat with some kind of round brush.

But you did inspire me to find this: https://toolsfirst.com/stomp-ceiling-texture/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Buy the 10 pack of Decora plates and now you have a lifetime supply for only 43¢/ea.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Went to Home Depot to get some wainscot panel kits. Website says they have 15 (!!!) packs in stock. No one at the store can find any of them. I put in an in-store pickup order via the app and go home.

They proceed to cancel my order as I guess they just wrote off 15 of these thing being missing and the next closest store with any in stock is 20 miles away.

Has a similar issue happen at Lowe’s a week ago. Looking for a tile tool, it’s nowhere to be found even after getting 3 different employees on the hunt. App says they should have 5 in stock. Put in an online order on my phone and someone managed to find it in 20 minutes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Went to Home Depot to get some wainscot panel kits. Website says they have 15 (!!!) packs in stock. No one at the store can find any of them. I put in an in-store pickup order via the app and go home.

They proceed to cancel my order as I guess they just wrote off 15 of these thing being missing and the next closest store with any in stock is 20 miles away.

Has a similar issue happen at Lowe’s a week ago. Looking for a tile tool, it’s nowhere to be found even after getting 3 different employees on the hunt. App says they should have 5 in stock. Put in an online order on my phone and someone managed to find it in 20 minutes.

I just ordered things several times, eventually I got a microwave. They seriously canceled 3 of em at different stages of the order.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Lil Peeler posted:

I'm working on my buddy's place and was wondering if anyone has experience painting over taped sheetrock and whether or not I should get it textured or whether it'll show through if we paint over it. here's a photo for reference. i'm specifically talking about the ceiling

I know I'm late to responding to this, after many others, but after I scraped my popcorn ceiling I did a level 5 finish and applied one or two coats of Zinsser Gardz before painting.

I now wonder if the level 4 finish (taped and feathered or whatever it's called) was good enough just to seal with Gardz and avoid the ordeal of skimcoating and sanding, but I would definitely recommended Gardz with whatever finish you do.

However, do not texture ceilings, ever, IMHO.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think no other store is as great of a victim to people loading up their carts with all of something and then bailing on it in some random location and they probably let it sit until store close.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just got done with a 30min consultation with a Sherwin-Williams designer who helped me with some ideas for changing my home's exterior trim and shutter colors. It was really helpful and free. I feel like they bury the link to this on their site, but you can sign up here:

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/lead-csi

The woman I spoke with told me I can follow up with her as many times as I want, also for free. Highly recommended.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I swear my house was like a test bed for a group of 13 year olds doing arts and crafts projects.

When I was around that age I worked one winter helping a family friend gut an old house. We found out why all of the ceilings were textured when we pulled down the first one and found four separate sagging ceilings stacked on top of it one after another.

I have basically given up on in-store pickup because even when they complete the order they take an unbelievable amount of time to do it. I just find the poo poo I need on their website before I go and have it text me the aisle/bay.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The instore pickup for lumber gives you wildly different results each time, once every 2by was perfectly straight and virtually knot free and then there was the last time I did it. Unless its on sale there I'm better off driving the extra 7 minutes to menards where I can drive right up to the pile and sort through what the last guy thought was too warped.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Good news, despite Lowe’s not having any in stock on their website and no option to order it period, they had 10 packs in stock when I went there today. I was completely ready to buy the 8ft packs and cut them down to size.

On a side note, what are my options regarding an ugly backsplash? I have a long term goal to really gut the kitchen but in the meantime I would prefer not to have a tan tile backsplash with my tan-ish counters. And I’d rather not remove it right now.

I’ve seen some things about tiling over it as-is, I’ve seen kits for painting them, and I e seen those stick on backsplash panels which just look kinda cheap.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If it's just for a few years before a massive remodel, I'd cover that backsplash with vinyl stick-on sheets, a magnetic board and/or just paint it with something very wipeable.

Mediocre decoration is acceptable when I did it myself.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Any cheap stainless sheet on craigslist in your area? Or the cheap stick on might motivate you to accelerate your kitchen project a year or two.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Hey goons, it has been a while since I've posted on house progress here. That's mainly because I've started documenting it on this little blog thing because people other than goons wanted to read what was going on.

http://www.vtwoods.life

You'll recognize some of the posts but many of them are new and the site has a ton of pictures on it and some of the history that I didn't post earlier like how we found the property and how we chose an architect and what that whole process looked like. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

the tl;dr is that they start laying the slab and footings on Monday. The schedule shows various build phases until next August so now we're looking for a place to live up there temporarily since we really want to sell our house in PA in the spring.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

he1ixx posted:

Hey goons, it has been a while since I've posted on house progress here. That's mainly because I've started documenting it on this little blog thing because people other than goons wanted to read what was going on.

http://www.vtwoods.life

You'll recognize some of the posts but many of them are new and the site has a ton of pictures on it and some of the history that I didn't post earlier like how we found the property and how we chose an architect and what that whole process looked like. Hopefully someone will find it useful.

the tl;dr is that they start laying the slab and footings on Monday. The schedule shows various build phases until next August so now we're looking for a place to live up there temporarily since we really want to sell our house in PA in the spring.

This is neato but I am selfishly sad there won't be an easy to follow thread here. Looks like things are chugging along. Congrats to your wife on her liquidity event. :toot:

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

H110Hawk posted:

This is neato but I am selfishly sad there won't be an easy to follow thread here. Looks like things are chugging along. Congrats to your wife on her liquidity event. :toot:

yeah I wish I could do both a big thread and the blog but because we're so geographically far away from the actual site, updates will be pretty sporadic. Once we move there it might be fun to capture stuff as it happens. I might just mirror the blog entries in this thread so its a one-stop shop for you home spergs and you can ask any questions that pop into your minds.

"Chugging along" is a good way to describe it but all I think every day is "faaassssttterrrrrrrrrr" so I am hoping that my whip-cracking keeps things on pace. It feels so far away when the plan says the solar panels aren't even going on until next July.

And I'll tell my wife congrats for you. It was a life changer, that's for sure. The plan was always to move to Vermont but we were shopping for already-built houses in the price range of our current house in PA 2015/2016. The target plan was to move in 2021 just like we are doing now but getting that cash-out changed the calculus completely. She's starting a new job tomorrow (at another start up! (fingers crossed for another liquidity event! haha))

I've been trying to think of a mission statement for the house project to explain it to friends. This is some nerdy poo poo, I realize, but I am finding it helps having this picture in mind as we work through decision after decision during the design process.

To build a net-zero house with passivehaus principles using as much local materials, builders and supplies as possible. The house will use long-lived systems and materials that age well rather than require frequent attention and replacement. To that end, we will focus on materials like polished concrete floors, metal siding, local hardwoods like ash for flooring and interior design elements and a standing-seam roof. The house will function well in all seasons, with special attention to Vermont's cold, snowy winters. but also consider global warming and the fact that heavy rainfall and high winds are going to be more prevalent in coming years. Also the garage needs room for a tractor.

Some other things I didn't put in the blog which is a huge topic for me to worry about lately -- when we were on the property thinking about buying it, I called the cable company and they said they had service to that street so, my mind at ease, I stopped thinking about it. My wife and I work remotely so it was hugely important to make sure we were covered there. Flash forward to July and we were on the property talking to a neighbor who stopped by and when the topic of internet came up he said "Oh I think you need to check on that because no one up here has cable internet." gently caress.

I called the cable company again and, sure enough, the person who told me originally that there was cable run to the street was wrong. There was no fiber or cable internet anywhere in the Hollow. At that point, I went into fact-finding mode and it looks like we can get satellite internet (with a high price and low data cap) and maybe DSL (slow af). This is obviously a major issue.

I talked to friends who live in VT and they sent me info on programs and funding to research that was put in place recently for running fiber to rural areas. The funding has taken on a great deal of importance because of COVID-19. I emailed the state congressman and two county senators and they've been surprisingly helpful especially when I said we have two remote workers and a school age child moving into the state full time. They are currently talking, on our behalf, to the Department of Public Services, the Department of Consumer Affairs, the local cable company and any phone companies who are trying to break into broadband business. I am hoping that I can get the ball rolling over the next year to push internet up the proverbial hill to our house. What a giant loving pain in the rear end.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

he1ixx posted:

yeah I wish I could do both a big thread and the blog but because we're so geographically far away from the actual site, updates will be pretty sporadic. Once we move there it might be fun to capture stuff as it happens. I might just mirror the blog entries in this thread so its a one-stop shop for you home spergs and you can ask any questions that pop into your minds.

"Chugging along" is a good way to describe it but all I think every day is "faaassssttterrrrrrrrrr" so I am hoping that my whip-cracking keeps things on pace. It feels so far away when the plan says the solar panels aren't even going on until next July.

And I'll tell my wife congrats for you. It was a life changer, that's for sure. The plan was always to move to Vermont but we were shopping for already-built houses in the price range of our current house in PA 2015/2016. The target plan was to move in 2021 just like we are doing now but getting that cash-out changed the calculus completely. She's starting a new job tomorrow (at another start up! (fingers crossed for another liquidity event! haha))

I've been trying to think of a mission statement for the house project to explain it to friends. This is some nerdy poo poo, I realize, but I am finding it helps having this picture in mind as we work through decision after decision during the design process.

To build a net-zero house with passivehaus principles using as much local materials, builders and supplies as possible. The house will use long-lived systems and materials that age well rather than require frequent attention and replacement. To that end, we will focus on materials like polished concrete floors, metal siding, local hardwoods like ash for flooring and interior design elements and a standing-seam roof. The house will function well in all seasons, with special attention to Vermont's cold, snowy winters. but also consider global warming and the fact that heavy rainfall and high winds are going to be more prevalent in coming years. Also the garage needs room for a tractor.

Some other things I didn't put in the blog which is a huge topic for me to worry about lately -- when we were on the property thinking about buying it, I called the cable company and they said they had service to that street so, my mind at ease, I stopped thinking about it. My wife and I work remotely so it was hugely important to make sure we were covered there. Flash forward to July and we were on the property talking to a neighbor who stopped by and when the topic of internet came up he said "Oh I think you need to check on that because no one up here has cable internet." gently caress.

I called the cable company again and, sure enough, the person who told me originally that there was cable run to the street was wrong. There was no fiber or cable internet anywhere in the Hollow. At that point, I went into fact-finding mode and it looks like we can get satellite internet (with a high price and low data cap) and maybe DSL (slow af). This is obviously a major issue.

I talked to friends who live in VT and they sent me info on programs and funding to research that was put in place recently for running fiber to rural areas. The funding has taken on a great deal of importance because of COVID-19. I emailed the state congressman and two county senators and they've been surprisingly helpful especially when I said we have two remote workers and a school age child moving into the state full time. They are currently talking, on our behalf, to the Department of Public Services, the Department of Consumer Affairs, the local cable company and any phone companies who are trying to break into broadband business. I am hoping that I can get the ball rolling over the next year to push internet up the proverbial hill to our house. What a giant loving pain in the rear end.

Out of curiosity, do you have good 4g cellphone service in your area? I work remotely in a rural area, and I have a Verizon hotspot for my computer data. I don't stream a lot of video, but the hotspot seems to be more than adequate for my needs.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Out of curiosity, do you have good 4g cellphone service in your area? I work remotely in a rural area, and I have a Verizon hotspot for my computer data. I don't stream a lot of video, but the hotspot seems to be more than adequate for my needs.

We don’t currently as far as I can tell. My AT&T phone gets zero voice or data while at the property and my wife (Verizon) has so-so connectivity up there. I had 4g hubs suggested to me a couple of weeks ago by a friend and looked into it and Verizon said our area wasn’t supported yet. A year is a long time though and I’m hoping something emerges that would help us, especially if I keep prodding.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
God dammit kids. I’m glad I discovered this before winter and we needed the heat back on considering this is the exhaust vent for the hvac!

I made the culprit clean it out and then put a new elbow on with a grate.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

he1ixx posted:

At that point, I went into fact-finding mode and it looks like we can get satellite internet (with a high price and low data cap) and maybe DSL (slow af). This is obviously a major issue.

We upgraded the internet at my work recently when we found out the local telco was doing fiber installs. Had to pay something like $5K to get them to run the line another 5 miles to our location the next town over, across the street from a school and a library. It probably would have been more if we were in the middle of nowhere with no other prospective clients, but it might be worth looking into with your ISP if you can either get your neighbors onboard to share costs or if your job provides some kind of remote work cost reimbursement.

Another option is getting additional phone lines with DSL put in and run them through a load balancing switch.

The cell service gets marginally better in the fall once the leaves drop.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Nevets posted:

We upgraded the internet at my work recently when we found out the local telco was doing fiber installs. Had to pay something like $5K to get them to run the line another 5 miles to our location the next town over, across the street from a school and a library. It probably would have been more if we were in the middle of nowhere with no other prospective clients, but it might be worth looking into with your ISP if you can either get your neighbors onboard to share costs or if your job provides some kind of remote work cost reimbursement.

Another option is getting additional phone lines with DSL put in and run them through a load balancing switch.

The cell service gets marginally better in the fall once the leaves drop.

All good info. I was considering satellite and DSL, one for the speed and one for larger downloads (DSL has no data caps where we are). The DSL multi-line idea is a good one because there is definitely DSL run to the road. The woman from the cable company said that I should canvas the neighborhood and gauge interest. if there are more clients, it adds more credence to the idea of running lines up there. I'm surprised that some of the bigger houses don't have it already. I'd be willing to foot some of the bill to get the lines up there because it is so integral to how we go about life right now but in quieter moments I think, as long as my wife can work comfortably, not having a life that constantly revolves around the internet might not be the end of the world.

(edit: its only 2.3 miles from the center of town to our property so that might not be too bad.)

When we went up in July we stayed for two weeks. It was insanely hot everywhere (just 5F cooler than home up in VT) so we decided to walk down the hill from our property to the local swimming hole. It took about 15 minutes to stroll down the hill to the bridge, past quiet well-cared-for homes and led to a cool stream with another family submerged in the stream too. We chilled out there for a while (literally) and then walked back up the hill, finding two patches of black raspberries along the side of the road on the way up. Saw no cars. Heard nothing but the birds. The whole experience made the wait to move much much harder.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

he1ixx posted:

To build a net-zero house with passivehaus :words:

It's a shame about the house, it sounds cool, but the rule is "Never go with a hippie to a second location" so I don't know how you expect to have visitors. :v: It's a dumb 30 Rock joke.

he1ixx posted:

I talked to friends who live in VT and they sent me info on programs and funding to research that was put in place recently for running fiber to rural areas. What a giant loving pain in the rear end.

Good luck keeping them going. Is it just a constant "X is done in 3 days, what do you have lined up to do next?" nagging? Any worry around getting pressure treated framing lumber?

Random googling says $20k/mile for pole-hung fiber which seems low, but that might be just the cost to string it along a flat corn field. How many customers could you get for $100k invested? Stay on them, the telco's should be willing with sufficent screws to pull fiber up the hill. Next time you're in the area look at the actual poles and manholes - see what is there. Fingers crossed you can get real service up there, I would be worried about them slapping a LTE AP up there and calling it good. Either way you would need a backup plan for when the snow pulls the cables down - fiber splice crews are going to hit your hill last . It would almost be better to have coaxial since it's just one fat wire they have to repair rather than a N-strand coming up the hill. (I was going to say 144 because that's a common cable size, https://www.discount-low-voltage.com/Cable/Aerial-Duct-Fiber-Cable/144EU4-T4101D20 , but who knows what they actually put up there.)

And good luck on the next startup. You said you both do estimation, do you mind me asking what your jobs are? I assumed something like "civil engineers" but that doesn't tend to wind up in startup land too often. (I have some stock from a company I spent far too long at I'm waiting/praying for them to go out of business and declare worthless so I can get the tax write off. Womp womp.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

devmd01 posted:

God dammit kids. I’m glad I discovered this before winter and we needed the heat back on considering this is the exhaust vent for the hvac!

Extremely real post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Whene I got my new HVAC and power vent hot water I showed the kids the PVC exhausts and fresh air intakes and told them if I ever see them stuff things in it their Christmas present would be the service call.