Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yay watchOS 7 fixes some of my annoyances w/the S5 always on:
https://9to5mac.com/2020/08/17/watchos-7-speed-boost/

quote:

Starting in watchOS 7 beta, Apple Watch Series 5 now lets you launch apps from complications on the watch face even when the display is inactive. This may sound like an extremely subtle change, but the impact on how responsive the watch feels is significant.

watchOS 7 beta removes the need to determine if the watch face is “awake” or “asleep” which is especially useful on versions of watch faces that don’t dramatically change appearances between states. You can see the complication when the watch face is inactive, and now there’s no cognitive load from determining if you need one tap or two taps.

This also works for swiping down for Notification Center, swiping up for Control Center, or swiping left or right to change watch faces.
So close yet so far:

quote:

watchOS 7 does not address other always-on display opportunities like providing an API for always-on states for third-party apps or even expanding always-on mode to more built-in apps than just Workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thread-recommended tips for scratches? Got a full replacement under warranty (bad crown) like a week ago, and managed to scratch the poo poo out of the new one on a kitchen countertop just now :(. I see lots of talk about this GLAZ stuff and like toothpaste online, wondering what people in here have experienced

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Minidust posted:

Thread-recommended tips for scratches? Got a full replacement under warranty (bad crown) like a week ago, and managed to scratch the poo poo out of the new one on a kitchen countertop just now :(. I see lots of talk about this GLAZ stuff and like toothpaste online, wondering what people in here have experienced

depends if its aluminium, stainless steel, ceramic or titanium

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Yeast posted:

depends if its aluminium, stainless steel, ceramic or titanium

Aluminum, but it’s the screen that’s scratched which I shoulda specified!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Never accidentally rub your watch against a basement brick wall when you're moving into a new house :sigh:

I'll eventually swap it using AppleCare+ down the road, but I really don't mind my watch getting scratched over years of wear and tear. Most of the scratches really only seem to occur on the outer edge of the display anyways.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gay Retard posted:

Never accidentally rub your watch against a basement brick wall when you're moving into a new house :sigh:

I'll eventually swap it using AppleCare+ down the road, but I really don't mind my watch getting scratched over years of wear and tear. Most of the scratches really only seem to occur on the outer edge of the display anyways.

I am elbow deep in server racks a lot, so I grabbed this thing. I got a single gash from a server rail on my OG Moto 360 some years ago, and it put me in a sour mood every single time I looked at the thing. It works really well.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I bought the stainless steel watch specifically for the different display.

Worth it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

is there a way to disable auto dnd when activating workouts? i forget constantly when riding my bike.

also real pumped for bike directions in maps on watch in next os

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Casual Encountess posted:

is there a way to disable auto dnd when activating workouts? i forget constantly when riding my bike.

In Watch.app on the phone, General->Do Not Disturb->Workout Do Not Disturb
(I’m guessing, anyway. Didn’t know this was a thing.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Casual Encountess posted:

fourwood posted:

In Watch.app on the phone, General->Do Not Disturb->Workout Do Not Disturb
(I’m guessing, anyway. Didn’t know this was a thing.)

That works if you want to disable automatic DND for all workouts.

For just some workouts you can create a personal automation in Shortcuts. These screenshots are from iOS 14 but I made this on iOS 13 and worked fine except for the annoying notifications (“starting your automation....”) that can’t be hidden at the moment. But you don’t have to do anything, it just works.

I made this because the Apple Watch move
goals are imo super unfair to people that live in countries that cycle as the #1 mode of transport.

“For this month, move around 10km a day! Oh btw even though you cycle commute 20km a day we won’t count those as part of your goal.”

So I said ok fine I’m just going to track literally every single time I walk even 20m because that’s dumb.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 27, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Has anyone done a (slow) marathon-ish distance run or longer with their Apple Watch? I did a 3.5 hour run and my series 1 was about to die. Can I expect much longer from newer versions? In general, the battery is still quite good, like 1.5-2 days with my normal use, so I don't think the battery capacity is shot in mine. Just not sure whether I can reasonably expect to do 4+ hours of GPS and HR tracking from a full-fledged smartwatch or if I need to get a cheap Fitbit or something for that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It might be able to last 4 hours. If you have LTE you’d definitely have to turn it off. Anything beyond that, not likely. Your basically have to start at 100 battery at the start line to have a chance. The battery is my biggest complaint about the AW in general (my personal 5 battery issues aside).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I did a 2 hour, 7 mile obstacle course last year (with GPS/LTE) and it just about killed my watch. I didn’t think of turning off LTE beforehand.

For days like that I always carry a charge cable and a battery pack.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Boris Galerkin posted:

That works if you want to disable automatic DND for all workouts.

For just some workouts you can create a personal automation in Shortcuts. These screenshots are from iOS 14 but I made this on iOS 13 and worked fine except for the annoying notifications (“starting your automation....”) that can’t be hidden at the moment. But you don’t have to do anything, it just works.

I made this because the Apple Watch move
goals are imo super unfair to people that live in countries that cycle as the #1 mode of transport.

“For this month, move around 10km a day! Oh btw even though you cycle commute 20km a day we won’t count those as part of your goal.”

So I said ok fine I’m just going to track literally every single time I walk even 20m because that’s dumb.

yeah this watch is loving stupid for bike stuff. in an ideal world i could just scan like an rfid tag mounted to my bike and it would just go into bike mode but that’s like 4 watch oses away

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It might be able to last 4 hours. If you have LTE you’d definitely have to turn it off. Anything beyond that, not likely. Your basically have to start at 100 battery at the start line to have a chance. The battery is my biggest complaint about the AW in general (my personal 5 battery issues aside).

Yeah, about what I was thinking. Oh well. I'm happy with the battery except for this one situation.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

sourdough posted:

Has anyone done a (slow) marathon-ish distance run or longer with their Apple Watch? I did a 3.5 hour run and my series 1 was about to die. Can I expect much longer from newer versions? In general, the battery is still quite good, like 1.5-2 days with my normal use, so I don't think the battery capacity is shot in mine. Just not sure whether I can reasonably expect to do 4+ hours of GPS and HR tracking from a full-fledged smartwatch or if I need to get a cheap Fitbit or something for that.

I ran a 4:24 marathon with the 5 non-LTE, 40mm (battery seems to be bigger on the 44mm or whatever the big size is) watch with my iPhone X along no problemo. Didn’t change anything about the AOD, too. Didn’t listen to music. I think I had something like 40-50% left but I don’t remember checking that, started out with 98/99 or so. Generally with a phone tethered it seems to drain 10% per hour while working out. Without a phone it should be just within the realm of possibility though (unless you get the Zetterberg Edition :v:)

Zwille fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 28, 2020

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

sourdough posted:

Worth looking at General > Workout Power Saving Mode in the Watch app?

Haven't used it but seems like that's what it'd be there for

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

101 posted:

Worth looking at General > Workout Power Saving Mode in the Watch app?

Haven't used it but seems like that's what it'd be there for

Looks like that disables HR tracking unfortunately, so at that point might as well ditch the watch and use just my phone to track

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

sourdough posted:

Looks like that disables HR tracking unfortunately, so at that point might as well ditch the watch and use just my phone to track

Ah for some reason I thought it just polled less frequently. Not sure where I got that idea from

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My dad has an Apple Watch S3 that he's had roughly since they came out (or maybe a little later). He really doesn't use it a lot, and because of a degenerative brain condition he has, these days he really doesn't use any of the functions of the watch besides telling time. It's on our cellular plan, but our plan has a limit of ten devices and we're looking to add another person's phone to this plan, which we can only do if we remove one of the ten devices. It's paired up with his phone, which we're not planning on dropping so it will still have a pair, it just wouldn't be connected to the Verizon network any longer. If we remove his watch from the plan, will it still function just like a wi-fi watch, or at the very least still tell time?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DC Murderverse posted:

My dad has an Apple Watch S3 that he's had roughly since they came out (or maybe a little later). He really doesn't use it a lot, and because of a degenerative brain condition he has, these days he really doesn't use any of the functions of the watch besides telling time. It's on our cellular plan, but our plan has a limit of ten devices and we're looking to add another person's phone to this plan, which we can only do if we remove one of the ten devices. It's paired up with his phone, which we're not planning on dropping so it will still have a pair, it just wouldn't be connected to the Verizon network any longer. If we remove his watch from the plan, will it still function just like a wi-fi watch, or at the very least still tell time?

Yes, it’ll work exactly like a WiFi watch.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yes, it’ll work exactly like a WiFi watch.

thank you for the response! That's sort of what I figured but I didn't know enough about the watches to be 100% certain.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I literally forgot my watch had cellular capabilities I’ve never activated until right now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I activated my cellular a few weeks ago but today was the first time I truly tested it out. Drove to the store and decided that I would not bring my phone.

It was amazing that I could text my wife or call her (using my AirPods) without having the phone. Technology can be pretty cool.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I activated my cellular a few weeks ago but today was the first time I truly tested it out. Drove to the store and decided that I would not bring my phone.

It was amazing that I could text my wife or call her (using my AirPods) without having the phone. Technology can be pretty cool.

Taking a call on the watch itself feels like we’re just one step away from Star Trek communicator badges though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Taking a call on the watch itself feels like we’re just one step away from Star Trek communicator badges though.

Right now we're at Dick Tracy levels of communication.

Next is Star Trek communicator badges.

And then the HZD Focus.

Of course after that it's all downhill thanks to the robot uprising.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I recently started jogging without my phone, and having GPS tracking and music without having my phone banging around in my pocket is fantastic. I'm still using a non-cellular S3, but I'll definitely have to upgrade someday to the cellular version in case I break my leg or something while out. It's not like humans went thousands of years without being in 24/7 contact with phone service or anything.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like someone should be subsidizing my cellular watch. Why isn’t that a thing? Like if I sign up for a year of cell service, cover the $100 upcharge.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The best part is the "$10" access fee to use data you've already paid for (even more hilarious for an unlimited plan), actually turns out to be just shy of $15 by a few cents on ATT after their "administrative" fee and other bullshit fees.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it was a flat $5, I'd certainly do it, but yeah, at $10+tax, it seems like an unnecessary expenditure since I've never felt like I'd actually need it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The problem is the carriers don’t care to push them because they do little for their margins and likely the only reason they’re even carrying them is because Apple made them sell them as a requirement of selling something else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1303150728647671808?s=21

Apple Watch is currently unavailable to purchase on US site.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 8, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

New watch would be cool.

Love my 3 but excited to see if the 6 offers some incentives to upgrade.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
My 1 battery is crawling across the line so I really need an upgrade. Ready to order tomorrow if indeed it comes through.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know COVID has put a wrench in things but it's weird to drop a new Watch and iPad tomorrow and then new phones later this month or October. They usually have one of those Fall shows and announce everything for the holiday shopping season. Maybe the new phones are further away than thought.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know COVID has put a wrench in things but it's weird to drop a new Watch and iPad tomorrow and then new phones later this month or October. They usually have one of those Fall shows and announce everything for the holiday shopping season. Maybe the new phones are further away than thought.

Yeah, rumors are pointing to a phone event mid October with release later in the month.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Violator posted:

I recently started jogging without my phone, and having GPS tracking and music without having my phone banging around in my pocket is fantastic. I'm still using a non-cellular S3, but I'll definitely have to upgrade someday to the cellular version in case I break my leg or something while out. It's not like humans went thousands of years without being in 24/7 contact with phone service or anything.

Just FYI if you were unaware -- 911 calls are routed even on devices without service.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

Just FYI if you were unaware -- 911 calls are routed even on devices without service.

AFAIK that’s an FCC mandate.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Huh it didn’t occur to me before that I could make 911 calls on my cellular watch that I’ve never connected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Oh that’s awesome, I completely forgot about that. Thanks for the info, a bit more peace of mind.