Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

VideoTapir posted:

Why do I have this vague sense that I remember that name for reasons other than d&d art?

I checked wikipedia to see of if he got cancelled for any reason but nothing. Share the knowledge if you have any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Galewolf posted:

I only read the first book literally to that exact scene and was like ugghh.

I remember reading a random fantasy book about a blademaster/witcher type of guy and it had lines like "His erection was swift and painful".

Can't remember much besides he was bald I think and had two katanas and killed everyone with a throat cut.

I read like a dozen of them and the memories are starting to seep in

The ages of the "riders"...get a lot...younger...

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Shageletic posted:

I read like a dozen of them and the memories are starting to seep in

The ages of the "riders"...get a lot...younger...

I wonder if that happened before or after the original author's son took over the series...

I feel like I really missed out on the golden age of fantasy art. That old stuff sucked so much poo poo, I could have been among the greats, but now people have standards and expect characters to actually look how they're described in the books. Back then you could paint some wild bullshit with horrible anatomy and absolutely no concern for color, composition, or taste and as long as there were tits or a screaming wizard you were IN

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Bismuth posted:

Back then you could paint some wild bullshit with horrible anatomy and absolutely no concern for color, composition, or taste and as long as there were tits or a screaming wizard you were IN

Anyone got pictures of a wizard screaming at tits? It’s kinda my thing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I...believe you are, indeed, mistaking it for something else.

CHoE is the dead serious Wraith book covering the Holocaust, and the legacy it left on the Underworld.

I could never find people to play Hunter: the Reckoning, but the world was so awesome to early 20s me that I bought most if not all of the source books just to read. Charnel Houses of Europe kinda stuck with me.

Shageletic posted:

this whole thread is a trip, but remember how this guy's whole arc was stalking a living woman

here is a snippet of their famous romance

That living woman was of course the Evil General of the Evil Armies, and also of course Raistlin and Caramon's sister, or maybe half-sister?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 23, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CPA Hell posted:

How about a lizard monster bring flabbergasted by them

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Shageletic posted:

A vision of breasts indeed

Also that's clearly a fish-man you buffoon. See this is what I'm talking about, the fish and teen wolf guys probably aren't even in the book, and if they are there's no way they're supposed to look like that.

E: I can't find a single review of this book, I don't think anyone has ever read it. I might need to read it myself now just to see what secrets remain buried.

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 23, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Comstar posted:

OP clearly read the book because of the cover. And I think it's good.

OMG. Look at the Dragon! The Dragon is the OP! Look at it sneering at the rest of the cover!.

No, friend. Look at the protagonists. They clearly feel nothing but disdain for the reader.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've never read it, but Larry Elmore did a serial comic for Dragon ages ago. I only just looked it up.

Lynda Carter and Jar-Jar Binks's granddad get into wacky fantasy adventures.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've never read it, but Larry Elmore did a serial comic for Dragon ages ago. I only just looked it up.

Chain Mail: AC 5

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

Galewolf posted:

"His body was glistening with sweat from the lovemaking" but I think that was actually a GURRM line from the first book of ASOIAF.

“His manhood glistened wetly,” iirc.

This thread is a pretty incredible honeypot

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Shageletic posted:

This owns btw, I want Sasquatch/Merman/naked swordlady on a van.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

I have the first three Dragonlance books personally signed by Weis, Hickman, Elmore, and Beauvais. As well as number of prints signed by Parkinson.

Suck it haters :circlefap:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CPA Hell posted:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Galewolf posted:

Chain Mail: AC 5

"Her most essential organs are covered," said fantasy Andrew Dice Clay (he's a kender this time).

fake edit: Andrew Polyhedral Dice Clay

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jesse Ventura posted:

“His manhood glistened wetly,” iirc.

This thread is a pretty incredible honeypot

I, a book reader, have dunked my glistening manhood into the honeypot.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
I kinda regret discovering Weis and Hickman as a kid instead of say Glen Cook, who did bad fantasy the right way imo

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Empty Sandwich posted:

Fun Fact: This comic is terrible! Unfunny jokes, meandering story, casual sexism that’s aged like the finest dwarven ale, and truly terrible writing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This thread is now just about awful fantasy novels and short stories

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Dragonlance got me into reading at 10 or so. I still like that silly poo poo. Truly unforgivable fantasy is Terry goodling and his sword of truth series, I wish I'd known better but at that point I was reading anything with a sword guy on the cover.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I read so many awful series as a kid. The Shannara books, Dragonlance, Sword of Truth, any of the Drizzt books by Salvatore. Stuff that when I read it I knew it was pretty bad. There are series I won't go back to because I remember them being good to young teenage me like Dragon Prince and Exiles (which Im pretty sure Melanie Rawn never finished?) and I'm fine believing that.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Meatwolfe posted:

Truly unforgivable fantasy is Terry goodling and his sword of truth series, I wish I'd known better but at that point I was reading anything with a sword guy on the cover.
That's the series where the hero slaughters pacifist protesters and it's portrayed as necessary and good. There's also a lot of S&M sex stuff with a whole order of mystic dominatrix women and fantasy Ayn Rand Objectivism lessons.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Oh we free to talk about Pern now because YOHOO boy howdy its some DUMB poo poo yall. I'm pulling this from memory though because gently caress going through the books again just to bitch about them online.

Ok so one of the things that gets me is how monumentally stupid the humans in the series are, like as a species, and this gets into what I mean about it being Star Trek fanfic.

SO like the humans are part of some space federation thing from earth that goes around looking for habitable worlds and then colonizing them, so they check out all the planets in a system and then pick one to colonize. They found out Pern was habitable yay! Theres also this really weird rogue planet that has a weird orbit, definitely not habitable so lets not bother seeing if it has any effect on the habitable planet right?

So these dipshits colonize Pern and WITHIN MONTHS they figure out that this rogue planet drops thread (this weird bug stuff) that eats everything it touches. Logic dictates at that point they'd gently caress back off into their space ship and LEAVE right? This planet has deadly thread bugs that routinely drop and consume all life? Seems lovely.

Naw they make their supercomputer start trying to figure out a way to get rid of the thread, and apparently despite having no effect on plastic, stone, glass, metal (stuff that like, machines are made of) the computer decided the best way to deal with thread was bio-engineering local lizards into hosed up bug-eyed giraffe-horned tail-making GBS threads horny-beam beaming teleporting (TIME TRAVELING) telepathic "dragons" which people would ride into battle against the thread.

I seriously dont get why these assholes didnt just leave. My theory is that Pern was actually an australia-style prison colony where earth shipped all their perverts to.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Here's the million-dollar question:

Is Gor fantasy or science fiction?

The answer is yes.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So...all fantasy novels and short stories then? :rimshot:

The memories are coming back, the Pandoras box is open now.

Salvatore had a trilogy which was basically Drizzt but a generic hero, you guessed it, good at swords. He had a wacky gnome rogue (dwarf?) friend and archer lady as love interest and the main baddies were like bigger sized humanoid cyclopses and a wizard I think.

It's literally Drizzt with his bantering fellows but the lead guy had ONLY one magical sword.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Are the Deltora Quest books complete garbage? I remember reading through a few of them when I was young and I really enjoyed them but I haven't seen one or heard anyone talk about those books since.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Shageletic posted:

My roomate found and bought all 3 of these books (because they're incredibly cheap) I will be reading them and taking notes for everyone

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the greatest story ever told

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

That's the series where the hero slaughters pacifist protesters and it's portrayed as necessary and good. There's also a lot of S&M sex stuff with a whole order of mystic dominatrix women and fantasy Ayn Rand Objectivism lessons.

Yeah, dudes always in a "righteous rage" from his sword of truth and you get a lot of graphic descriptions of him just slaughtering people who dont agree with him. The authors politics started to creep into the books and I had to stop. It's like the cannon films of books, but without the fun.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bismuth posted:

Yep! And one again the dragons were engineered by man so they were made that way. Oh also like half of the dragons were female but almost all of the riders were male so it resulted in astronomical levels of buttsex

For all that, there was only one gay couple in the books, and none of the other books acknowledged the dudes getting it on. There was also an infamous interview where someone asked about gay dragon riders and she said that those dragons would only choose gay boys and also if they did accidentally choose a straight guy then he would turn gay as soon as he had a dick inside him.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I remember WTFing at that once and someone rushed to defend it saying 'actually it was a key element of the plot' as though that doesn't make it worse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I read the wayfarer redemption when I was a kid, went back to read them years later and hooooly are they slow.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

No Pants posted:

For all that, there was only one gay couple in the books, and none of the other books acknowledged the dudes getting it on. There was also an infamous interview where someone asked about gay dragon riders and she said that those dragons would only choose gay boys and also if they did accidentally choose a straight guy then he would turn gay as soon as he had a dick inside him.

Imagine not realizing you're gay yet and a psychic dragon just decides that for you in front of everyone

I still wanna know why dragons were a better option than robots (who would be immune to the thread by nature) or just leaving the drat planet

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
This is getting a little SF (no actual magic apart from shot that would befiddly as all hell miraculously working on the first try), bit haveany of you read Leo Frankowski's Conrad Stargard novels,

It's alternate history/time travel in which a 20th century engineer is transported to 13th century poland a few years before the mongols arrived. The first thing he does is gently caress children, and this is a thing that keeps coming up. I finally noped out near the end when there was a tribe of Indigenous people in the Amazon who were described as childlike and who all wanted to gently caress the protagonist.

The author was a piece of work extreme MRA type whose house may have been worse than Groverhaus. He married a Russian lady, moved to Russia, and creeped on her daughter in his blog. He died not much later. Coincidence?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i have good memories of some feist novels, particularly "rise of the merchant prince."

in hindsight both goodkind and brooks are real bad tho

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
also how about bad covers of good books

https://twitter.com/_LandryJLee/status/1297228643672952833

Woden
May 6, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

I remember WTFing at that once and someone rushed to defend it saying 'actually it was a key element of the plot' as though that doesn't make it worse.

They made the lovely chainmail a plot point in Azure Bonds too:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
best

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
The books are good, because the books are bad, and since the books are at a specific formulaic level of bad, they become good
The books are bad, making them loop to good, which is bad because they are bad and bad things cannot categorically be good, but in being this variant of quantum goodbad badgood flipfloppery these stories and series of novels kind of parasitize our brains and make us love to hate them, hate to love them, get into some sort of long-form emotionally attached pseudo-relationship mentally with them

They bear this accursed energy, and whether it was an intentional act of malice on the part of the authors of these rededications to a crusade against the sun and all who dwell under it, I can only confirm for the McCaffrey Family as an authorial whole and Pern as their ode to humanity's end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i could never figure out who this zifnab character was :confused: