Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WEH posted:

i had to see this so now you get to as well

https://twitter.com/adamcarolla/status/1296660812208041985?s=20

Based on the last couple of days of tweets I have no idea what his take on covid is

I think it boomeranged. First he was like "it's no big deal" back when alot of people just thought it was a very infectious flu. Then he was self-quarantining and going on about how nuts it was. Now he's in favor of reopening, most likely because papa has some expensive bills, and he's not getting paid to do shows when everything's shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I'm not going to fact check this back to the 90s or whatever but it would be very funny if Adam blaming affirmative action for preventing him from being a firefighter was instead him and many other applicants being priced out of the firefighting service in california by barely paid likely POC inmates. not haha funny but you know

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

WEH posted:

I'm not going to fact check this back to the 90s or whatever but it would be very funny if Adam blaming affirmative action for preventing him from being a firefighter was instead him and many other applicants being priced out of the firefighting service in california by barely paid likely POC inmates. not haha funny but you know

it might have also been that he was unskilled and a huge pain in the rear end

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

por que no los dos

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

WEH posted:

Adam is thinking about all the red lights he could drive through as a firefighter and is absolutely fuming.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Because racists never admit to being racist and refuse to acknowledge racism even exists, Ace Man.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ralph Hurley posted:

Because racists never admit to being racist and refuse to acknowledge racism even exists, Ace Man.

It’s been a long time since I listened but he did something similar with “well Oprah’s a billionaire, so clearly no racial wealth gap exists!”

Still bizarre how he went from run down apartment living with his truck getting regularly stolen to non-ironically docking his gardner’s pay for not closing a gate or ranting about his maid not cleaning the microwave properly.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Adam Carolla does not exist after 2004

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I stuck with him for quite a bit longer than I should have. The final nail in the coffin for be was when he fired Alison. Listened to one show with Gina and said nope, I'm done

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

I stuck with him for quite a bit longer than I should have. The final nail in the coffin for be was when he fired Alison. Listened to one show with Gina and said nope, I'm done

I kept hoping he'd smarten up, lost track of him for a while then I heard about his working relationship with that dirt bag Prager, and welp

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
*wife-rapist

That wife-raping Dennis Prager. He admits he rapes his wife.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Scrolling through recent episodes: guest include Ben Shapiro, trump jr, Jeff Foxworthy, Rob Schneider, Jim Belushi and Steve-O. Plus Carolla Classics with Patton Oswalt & Paul F. Tompkins who I doubt return his calls anymore.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

*wife-rapist

That wife-raping Dennis Prager. He admits he rapes his wife.

Hence me calling him a dirtbag

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Scrolling through recent episodes: guest include Ben Shapiro, trump jr, Jeff Foxworthy, Rob Schneider, Jim Belushi and Steve-O. Plus Carolla Classics with Patton Oswalt & Paul F. Tompkins who I doubt return his calls anymore.

Ben Shapiro and Adam Carolla. Two of the right's most charming voices, together at last. And by 'voices' I mean their literal voices are unbearable.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I get sad knowing he lost pretty much every friend he ever had. Those were great stories :(

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

on the other hand, he definitely deserved to

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah he didn't lose friends, he drove people away.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Going back and listening to old Lovelines, because Bryan from Street Fight Radio is covering the show this year during Shocktober. I hate to say it but I think Loveline has aged extremely poorly. Maybe it's a case of 20/20 hindsight plus no longer being a teenager, but Adam kinda always had lovely opinions and Drew has pretty much always sucked.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

bartok posted:

Going back and listening to old Lovelines, because Bryan from Street Fight Radio is covering the show this year during Shocktober. I hate to say it but I think Loveline has aged extremely poorly. Maybe it's a case of 20/20 hindsight plus no longer being a teenager, but Adam kinda always had lovely opinions and Drew has pretty much always sucked.

I've been meaning to do that myself, because I really struggle to reconcile the show I loved with who Adam and Drew seem to really be. I just can't get through my current podcast backlog.

I do take heart though; even if it is true that they were both always lovely, I definitely learned a lot by listening to it and I do think it was a public good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think the day I stopped listening to him was on his old radio show with Danny bonaduce and he went on a rant to some caller about her being on welfare and sucking the blood out of this country like a leech. It was super weird and uncomfortable and just made me not wanna listen anymore.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I could see myself going back to listen to DAG episodes or whatever. Or the Bill Nye ep where Adam just gets roasted for being an idiot the entire time.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There are some good bits back there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The_Rob posted:

I think the day I stopped listening to him was on his old radio show with Danny bonaduce and he went on a rant to some caller about her being on welfare and sucking the blood out of this country like a leech. It was super weird and uncomfortable and just made me not wanna listen anymore.

The year after Danny was the best the show was, in my opinion. Teresa became a main character and did a decent job tempering Adam and presenting a different point of view. I really like Alison as a person, but she didn't have quite the pushback ability Teresa did and then Gina was just a yes girl.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bartok posted:

Absolutely. I think it's a case of seeing the start of what both men would end up being. Adams rants and jokes hit different and Drew's advice can be suspect.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Adam’s politics are really only one half of why he became unbearable to me, the other half is him repeating the same stories and bits for decades. Decades. So I imagine hearing him complain about the one time he was caught in LA marathon traffic in 2002 doesn’t feel that much different than him telling it in 2020. That might be another reason why the old shows don’t age that well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
For me, it was a few things:

- I don't have anything against Gina, but she may as well not even exist. As far as I can tell, she adds absolutely nothing to discussion.
- The mid-show interruption with Dameshek was jarring, and I loving hate Dameshek.
- The increase of political discussion is probably inevitable, but I just got tired of the rich man complaining about "I paid for this" and "they're taking advantage of the boss man" and little poo poo like "I'm not paying guys to use shop goggles to look at the eclipse" and poo poo like that.
- I can understand the same old stories, but like... after a few years, if you're still ranting about right on red or pomegranate iced tea, you gotta try harder.
- I like Jo Koy, but how many times can he play the waiter at PF Chang's?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

Adam’s politics are really only one half of why he became unbearable to me, the other half is him repeating the same stories and bits for decades. Decades. So I imagine hearing him complain about the one time he was caught in LA marathon traffic in 2002 doesn’t feel that much different than him telling it in 2020. That might be another reason why the old shows don’t age that well.

Yeah, I always remember him saying early on "I'm a comedy factory, not a warehouse. I create new things rather than dragging out the same bits" which I thought was INCREDIBLY ironic due to him doing exactly that. Even his movies used the same bits.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I always remember him saying early on "I'm a comedy factory, not a warehouse. I create new things rather than dragging out the same bits" which I thought was INCREDIBLY ironic due to him doing exactly that. Even his movies used the same bits.

Oh for sure, back when I was a fan I bought one of his audiobooks and was like "aw yeah, gonna get hours of original Aceman content" and it was word for word his rants and stories from the podcast. I turned it off after a few hours as I could already recite the stories.

Agreed with other posters that he can be very funny but needs oversight and pushback from someone like Teresa. It's also interesting to think back on episodes from like 2011 where there were signs of trouble ahead. Like on one he got in an argument with Donny about microphone placement and at first it seemed like two friends razzing each other, but it didn't stop and Adam was really mad after like 10 minutes the guest clearly wanted to leave, definite sign of an abusive boss and what the heck was going on behind closed doors if that rant was making the air.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got sick of all of the conversations about grit. I think Take a Knee is the podcast he always wanted to do, but couldn't keep the guests coming. I'm already successful. I don't need a self help podcast.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Did he have a fallout with Ray? Is Bald Bryan still around?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

i watched the trailer for his movie and it repeated a bunch of bits from loveline lol. 20 years and he couldn't come up with a new joke

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Did he have a fallout with Ray? Is Bald Bryan still around?

I think Ray sued him?

I always thought it damning that DAG bailed on him

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Ray sued him?

That was right around the same time I jumped off.

The Teddy Pendergrass bit (the first time) was one of the funniest things I've ever heard, then he just forced it every time he was on afterwards. I think DAG started getting annoyed at the "Black Mom/Drugname kids" bit too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

what about your penis.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Donny sued him. Ray just left and formed his own podcast. Went 98 episodes until the pandemic hit. Not too shabby.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Ray sued him?

Donny sued him. Ray was fired because he took too long to bring in pictures from when he was a kid or something stupid. He started his own pod and it did okay but sputtered out because no one can control Ray. He's too all over the place.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Besides all the poo poo mentioned, he just doesn't sound fun anymore. Loveline Adam at least sounded like someone I would like to hang out with. This Adam sounds dreadful to be around. I feel bad for everyone who has to interact with him.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Besides all the poo poo mentioned, he just doesn't sound fun anymore. Loveline Adam at least sounded like someone I would like to hang out with. This Adam sounds dreadful to be around. I feel bad for everyone who has to interact with him.

All of the grit makes up for that tho

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Adam was 100% right about Harley riders though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any word on how the podcast is doing numbers wise? With so much competition, it can't be good. And seeing as how others are getting bought up, that's not a good sign either. I'm sure he's still making money but he was one of the biggest podcasts in the world and now it just another podcast.

I think I stopped listening when he'd go on a 5 minute vicious rant because Drew didn't use a coaster or something in the studio.