Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Done the Corsus Adventure quite a few times now without rolling the Queen's Temple. Does it only show up if you gave her the Heart in Story Mode or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I pull this Mender's Aura out of my pistol so I can put it in my coach gun?

Edit: gently caress the stagger is vicious in this game. Taking any damage at all in the Gorefist fight is an immediate loss.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 5, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I pull this Mender's Aura out of my pistol so I can put it in my coach gun?

Edit: gently caress the stagger is vicious in this game. Taking any damage at all in the Gorefist fight is an immediate loss.

Open up the mod menu on your pistol and double click Mender’s Aura to remove it.

Gorefist doesn’t really have much in the way of combos? A single hit should not be the end of the world.

The real threat is getting swarmed by Poppin’ Petes during the fight. That WILL stunlock you potentially.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My issue was that any knockdown would lead into a chain of knockdowns, usually involving pustules.

I eventually managed to win when I realised I didn't need to shoot the pustules, just wait for them to start inflating then dodge away.

Is there a way to see where the weakpoints on an enemy are? Some are obvious, but others are less so.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

My issue was that any knockdown would lead into a chain of knockdowns, usually involving pustules.

I eventually managed to win when I realised I didn't need to shoot the pustules, just wait for them to start inflating then dodge away.

Is there a way to see where the weakpoints on an enemy are? Some are obvious, but others are less so.

Sadly, no. It's all trial and error, but usually the weakpoints (if any) are quite obvious, either the head/face or glowy bits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/remnant_game/status/1293925481008566272?s=21

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The base game (i.e. not including Swamps of Corsus) is also now free on Epic for the next week. Supposedly crossplay with Steam does/will work.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Thank goodness if crossplay works. With WFH right now I really don't have the spare bandwidth.

(I am going to have a rough time with this 8GB for the patch :( )

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
that very good boy certainly lives up to his name, drat.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Dlc is out and its got equal levels of good and bastard. Too bad its like 3 hours long but the content is fun.

Hope yall like puzzles

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Do not, want to shoot trees

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I just starter playing this with a friend, due to it being free in Epic. We are just going along, dumping points into whatever traits seem most useful. Are there any traits that you should specifically avoid putting points in, or any other "traps" or concerns we should be aware of?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

ovenboy posted:

I just starter playing this with a friend, due to it being free in Epic. We are just going along, dumping points into whatever traits seem most useful. Are there any traits that you should specifically avoid putting points in, or any other "traps" or concerns we should be aware of?

Nah, go nuts. Offence is generally more useful than defence. You get enough points anyway.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Yeah there's no real level cap, you get a couple of skill books per world every time you reset things, and all traits cap at 20 points.

Grab whatever looks most interesting to you, you'll get around to the other traits eventually.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone play the new DLC yet?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Bought it. Played it yesterday. Started at about 5:15, finished about 9:45. Two areas, but only one, the ice world, is like a full “normal” area. The other one has two sections, enemies, puzzles, and items, but doesn’t have the same format as say, Rhom.

Ice world is cool. There’s some really obnoxious tanky enemies with a one-hit sync kill so that blows but otherwise it’s cool. Got some of the new stuff, most of the new weapons are “meh” but some are really sick. One highlight includes a sword which releases a wide short range energy wave on heavy attack.

Beat the final boss. Kinda meh. Better than the main game final boss but not as good as any of the other bosses imo, mostly because the second phase is kinda rear end.

But basically I would say it’s “more Remnant.” Definitely worth 10 bucks, definitely gonna play more tonight. If anybody wants to play I’m about level 350 and gear level 20.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Can’t say I would agree at all on new weapons being meh. The melee weapons are a tad forgettable but both of the primaries perform very well on the right setup, Twinshot is a great secondary.

Subject 2923 added a metric ton of accessories that have made build diversity go waaaaaay up.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can’t say I would agree at all on new weapons being meh. The melee weapons are a tad forgettable but both of the primaries perform very well on the right setup, Twinshot is a great secondary.

Subject 2923 added a metric ton of accessories that have made build diversity go waaaaaay up.

I didn’t get the Twinshot sadly. The automatic primary I got with the fire power I didn’t think was very good, the travel time on the projectiles really hurts it. The other automatic primary that the game “helpfully” provides to fight the final boss with is... very pretty, but seemingly buggy.

The accessories are definitely a highlight. Also, I’m expecting them to nerf bleed promptly lol.

I haven’t found the new weapons to be bad per se, but I also have only found one new weapon that I thought “I will use this all the time,” which is the automatic handgun.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The sawn off is a good secondary too, i like it a lot, and i found the alternator to be very good simply because its mod is a easy to use method to both apply fire and also just obliterate a entire area.

Really the real highlight of the dlc beside the accessories letting you do cool stuff like go all in on bleed with just a ton on benefits is the weapon mods because every single one is actually pretty good, i think the worst is probably the ice spear but frozen mist is insanely good and fan of knives is useful whenever you need something really dead, and i can see the blizzard having some good uses. At this point I'm just looking for the new armors while feeling incredibly stupid because i hosed up my chances at them the first time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alternator goes great with Radiant Armor. It's basically just a frost beam rifle with a great damage mod.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I've only been playing through the campaign by myself to this point, but I'm interesting in trying to go back through the beginning and see if I can get to Sorrow's Field for the Spirit Trait. Is that what "adventure mode" is for? It just gives me a new Earth to play through?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I've only been playing through the campaign by myself to this point, but I'm interesting in trying to go back through the beginning and see if I can get to Sorrow's Field for the Spirit Trait. Is that what "adventure mode" is for? It just gives me a new Earth to play through?

Yup. It gives you miniature worlds so you can find what you missed in the campaign.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Ok I was wrong about the Alternator. It’s definitely a short range weapon tho, and also it got buffed so yay!

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I started the new dlc last night and got through the farmland and the old base. The farmland area was nice and I wish it was a bit longer but the base really felt like it overstayed it's welcome. I think it would've been more enjoyable if you had been able to kill all the enemies when you went into the shadow world or whatever. I wouldn't even mind if they spawned a new batch every time you destroyed a node. Running from them just got old by the 3rd or 4th node. Also, I'm surprised I've only seen one new weapon so far.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh boy, I rocketed through the normal game with a summoner build, started survival and can't get past a full first section.

Maybe I'm not good at the game, only VERY GOOD BOY is.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Oh boy, I rocketed through the normal game with a summoner build, started survival and can't get past a full first section.

Oh, you're not alone - only if the boss is one that I've smashed my head against a lot do I pass it without dying - that's just how boss battles are for me, get into a rhythm after dying a bunch. Not very compatible with survival mode for obvious reasons. It's still fun though!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Inzombiac posted:

Summoner build is very much so one of the easy mode options.

municipal shrimp posted:

I started the new dlc last night and got through the farmland and the old base. The farmland area was nice and I wish it was a bit longer but the base really felt like it overstayed it's welcome. I think it would've been more enjoyable if you had been able to kill all the enemies when you went into the shadow world or whatever. I wouldn't even mind if they spawned a new batch every time you destroyed a node. Running from them just got old by the 3rd or 4th node. Also, I'm surprised I've only seen one new weapon so far.

The DLC weapons are mostly backloaded into the snow world area, partly so that it’s easier to adventure mode for them.

I’m going to talk about the DLC now in some more depth and this will contain spoilers, this is your warning.

So, I have played through Reisum about 5+ times now. I’ve beaten all but one boss at least once, most of them a couple of times. Tian, the assassin, doesn’t want to spawn for me.

Some thoughts:

Three of the bosses, the ice wizard, the big yeti, and the dual boss, are fine. No complaints, fun fights.

The shield bear kind of sucks rear end solo however. He’s a melee boss that attacks relentlessly, but more importantly he applies the new frozen debuff which slows action speed to a crawl. Thus, it is trivial for him to stunlock you and 100-0 you and it feels extremely tedious and like nobody playtested the fight playing solo. I beat him on hard in three tries so this isn’t a “get gud” issue, and he’s probably fine in MP, but really the problem is that frozen also slows down consumable use, so you can’t even rectify the problem.

New weapons: the Fusion Rifle is actually really good. Slightly gimmicky, but good. The Alternator is also good, but performs poorly past about 15 feet. The Machine Pistol is very good, probably even better if you play m/kb (I do not). I was underwhelmed by the Twin Shot. World Breaker is sick, but I think the Hero’s Sword is better in more situations due to the range difference. The Chain Sword seems pointless, but I haven’t tested it very much.

New mods: I only really tested the ice spear thing, which is good. The one that shoots an ice cloud is probably also fine, as is every mod of that type (Wildfire Shot, etc.).

Final boss: kinda sucks, but is about par or better with the original final boss. It’s not a horrible fight, but his second phase is annoying and the game currently force-equips the Fusion Rifle instead of whatever you had before, which may or may not gently caress your over depending on your build.

New trinkets: lots of them, ranging from “ok” to “god-tier.” Bleed is now the best build in the game imo, and will probably be nerfed.

New areas and enemies: Reisum is cool. Slightly generic, feels very Warhammer-y. I would say it’s about par with Yaesha, whereas I like Earth and Rhom more. The new yeti enemy that has a OHKO sync kill is outright horseshit as a solo player tho.

Conversely, Ward Prime is kinda... meh. I wish there was more to the outside part, I would’ve played much more of “spooky forest/farmlands” tbh. Once you’re in the ward, it’s just “oh good, more samey hallways” and some slightly tedious puzzle gimmicks. Leto’s Lab was a good length for this type of area, Ward Prime overstays its welcome just a bit.

Story: it’s poo poo. Honestly worse than the base game, which is an achievement. I hope you didn’t come here for that.

Closing thoughts: I don’t mean to come across as too negative. I overall have really enjoyed my time with the DLC and will play more. I think the biggest shame here is that it’s the last one, and if it wasn’t I probably would’ve been willing to forgive it for a lot more. As it is, I would buy 2-3 more DLCs just the size of Reisum for $10 just to have more game to play.

However, if you exclusively play this game solo, note that the DLC is substantially more annoying in parts and prepare accordingly. If you only play in groups, the DLC is probably a blast start to finish.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
It does kind of blow me away how much better this game would be with ANY sort of competent narrative design. The rest of it is SO good and satisfying that even just a half-coherent story with stakes to it would make it top-notch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I liked the storytelling in the base game quite a lot. Remnant is at its best much like Dark Souls when it is doing ambient storytelling. When it relies on dialogue it is baaaaaaad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Replaying the game thanks to the DLC's release and man it's just as enjoyable as I remember. It's a great chillout/podcast/discord chatting game I've found.

My new character. I'm putting like 75% of my points into weakspot damage this time around so she just runs right up to enemies' faces and mulches them with automatic weapons. Very effective!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 23, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is there really any incentive to build new characters? This game reminds of FFXIV where it rewards you most for just playing a single toon through all the content (unless you play Remnant Hardcore, which is something I don't have the stomach for).

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also, after some time away, I am REALLY pleased that it feels they upped the drop rate of lower-tier iron and Lumenite crystals for those of us who leveled one set of gear all the way to 20 and now want to work up other builds and gear. That said, Simulacrums are still hella-hard to find. I don't think the Earth swampland or Ward Prime have any as I searched both thoroughly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Memnaelar posted:

Is there really any incentive to build new characters? This game reminds of FFXIV where it rewards you most for just playing a single toon through all the content (unless you play Remnant Hardcore, which is something I don't have the stomach for).

Not really, unless you want to start from scratch and re-obtain your traits/items just for the fun of it. Being able to regen the whole game world even on your char's first playthrough means you can 'start over' without making a new file whenever you want.

Ran into a funny world gen issue on this playthrough however. The first Earth dungeon was Cutthroat Channel, meaning Brabus Jr was the boss. But my first Earth crystal after the dungeon was the helicopter where Mud Tooth hangs out. Thus, I couldn't get the pocket watch and render Brabus Jr non-hostile. The Bandit set was dangled in front of me and then yanked away. Roguelikes! :downs:

edit: Speaking of, I found a Simulacrum in Cutthroat Channel, so Earth can definitely drop them but they're probably rare.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Not really, unless you want to start from scratch and re-obtain your traits/items just for the fun of it. Being able to regen the whole game world even on your char's first playthrough means you can 'start over' without making a new file whenever you want.

Ran into a funny world gen issue on this playthrough however. The first Earth dungeon was Cutthroat Channel, meaning Brabus Jr was the boss. But my first Earth crystal after the dungeon was the helicopter where Mud Tooth hangs out. Thus, I couldn't get the pocket watch and render Brabus Jr non-hostile. The Bandit set was dangled in front of me and then yanked away. Roguelikes! :downs:

edit: Speaking of, I found a Simulacrum in Cutthroat Channel, so Earth can definitely drop them but they're probably rare.

Technically you could have, upon seeing Cutthroat Channel and the helicopter on the other side of a locked gate, rolled adventure a couple of times and get the watch there.

Memnaelar posted:

Also, after some time away, I am REALLY pleased that it feels they upped the drop rate of lower-tier iron and Lumenite crystals for those of us who leveled one set of gear all the way to 20 and now want to work up other builds and gear. That said, Simulacrums are still hella-hard to find. I don't think the Earth swampland or Ward Prime have any as I searched both thoroughly.

I'm reasonably certain that each world in campaign mode is guarenteed to spawn 1 (one) and only 1 Simulacrum somewhere in it (Adventure mode can but doesn't have to). Have you checked the save analyzer?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aumanor posted:

Technically you could have, upon seeing Cutthroat Channel and the helicopter on the other side of a locked gate, rolled adventure a couple of times and get the watch there.

Haha, clever. I actually didn't know you could use key items from your adventure world in the campaign world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Captain Oblivious posted:

I liked the storytelling in the base game quite a lot. Remnant is at its best much like Dark Souls when it is doing ambient storytelling. When it relies on dialogue it is baaaaaaad.

Yeah, whoever writes the little notes and computer logs does a fine job, it's just the direct storytelling of the game is weak.

I was playing with another goon this afternoon and remarked that the game is going for a Dead Space-y "oh no, the enemy is so evil and horrific and they're coming from another dimension to get us" but the Root really have no threat or presence. Yeah, they destroyed Earth, but that's easy, any video game villain can do that poo poo. They're not any kind of meaningful threat to you, nor are they scary in any capacity, so the game trying to present them as a major threat falls flat. Hence, why the stories surrounding the secondary characters of the other worlds are much more interesting than the main plot regarding the Root.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

That said, Simulacrums are still hella-hard to find.

I found the easiest way to find simulacrums is just to drop into other people's games and run through an area with them. I have too many to count just from that alone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, I had a question about the weighted average gear score thing. I understand how it works in the general sense, but does having a slot drag down the average make me do less damage or take more? For example, I'm wondering if I should upgrade my melee weapon even though I'm never gonna bother using one on this character. Does the game ONLY take the average into account when generating areas, and not moment-to-moment like weapon damage or defense from enemy attacks?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 23, 2020

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Haha, clever. I actually didn't know you could use key items from your adventure world in the campaign world.

I'm actually not sure if you can, either, but the game considers the watch Mudtooth gives you to be just another amulet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

you normally can't, it only works with mudtooth's thing because it's an equippable item that persists across campaigns/adventures and not a key item.