Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Volte posted:

Welp, found a Mortal Shell bug:

https://i.imgur.com/xGHabPy.mp4

Pro tip, don't use Eredrim's harden slam when you're over impassable geometry. I'm totally softlocked, can't even open the menu to quit.

Can you alt-f4? And what happens when you load back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tarezax posted:

Yeah, I had to kill the process. It's fine when I loaded again, just annoying.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What previously launched titles is he referring to? What are people looking forward to?

Yakuza

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

I haven't played it, but IIRC there was tons of bullshit deaths if you didn't know the best/safe strats (that's obviously not a big issue with a skilled runner)

Bullshit deaths with some of the longest load times of its generation. Wonderful combination.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I uninstalled FFXIV today. I can breathe again! Even though it was a good FF game through Shadowbringers, it is still a MMO and I can't play these subscription games without getting addicted and feeling guilty when I play anything else while my sub is active.

Yes, Shadowbringers was good, it had some awesome moments (excellent soundtrack), but unfortunately I wouldn't have given a poo poo about it if I had done a story skip, so playing the first 3 chunks of game is pretty mandatory in my opinion to get invested enough for the payoff. In retrospect I wish I had ignored the game and played 10 other good games over the last year, but since I didn't and played this one, eh idk I'm conflicted. I don't regret playing it since it was good, I never hated the game, and I ignored the parts I didn't like because if I bothered grinding multiple classes or whatever it would've became a multiple years-long project when I was ready to wrap it up a couple months ago. Shadowbringers got so much hype that I got trapped halfway into the time investment and didn't want to quit without getting to the good stuff, so I pushed through, got my fix and I'm out of here. I wouldn't recommend the game unless you want an MMO to devote yourself to. If you feel like having a MMO gaming year or two, definitely go for it.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I haven't played ffxiv for a while now, but continuing to pay the subscription and logging in periodically so I dont lose my housing plot (a great view in the Mist). A money sink that I'm not even playing :cry:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

central dogma posted:

I haven't played ffxiv for a while now, but continuing to pay the subscription and logging in periodically so I dont lose my housing plot (a great view in the Mist). A money sink that I'm not even playing :cry:

They temporarily turned off auto-demolition for housing back in March.

I'm not sure if you can keep it while unsubbed but you don't have to log in to touch the house at least.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Finished Mortal Shell today. I thought it was pretty good. The fighting is fun, and the content that exists in the game is good - locations are evocative and the graphics and sound are nice. I do think the game was built on a restricted budget, and it shows in a few areas - enemy variety wasn't the greatest, some areas were very large and contained a hundred of the same six enemy types, and the music was extremely barebones with just some drums for most boss fights. However, they didn't charge me £40 for it, so that's OK.

-----

Tips:

I ran with the starter sword the entire game - the special on it stuns bosses and lets you get like three free hits in, and you're invulnerable when you use it, which is brilliant. I tried the other weapons but they had problems - either their attacks were slow, or too short-ranged for my liking. I'd also already upgraded the sword a bunch, so it was better than the other weapons for that reason too.

For shells I ran with Harros until I maxed him out, then I switched to Eredrim for the rest of the game. He's got poo poo stamina, but once you've got your weapon to a +5 you can kill many enemies in two to four hits, which is what he has. Eredrim's health pool is gigantic, which is great for a first playthrough. I could see second playthroughs going with Tiel, at least for certain areas of the game that have lots of poison.

I didn't parry enough. I watched a speedrun and that dude was parrying boss attacks a lot. As another poster noted, though, it's crap to parry a boss if you don't have Resolve, so don't do that. However, if you're having trouble on a boss, try parrying some of their attacks with Resolve. Some of the special parry upgrades you get target specific boss weaknesses, so think about those.

Harden is brilliant, but doesn't always stagger enemies, that's true. There are points in the game where avoiding an enemy's combo requires you to dodge the first attack, then harden or dodge the second attack. Note that harden negates fall damage, so jump off cliffs all day if you think it'll help - there are definitely two specific places where it saves a fair bit of time.

Make sure you find the shop guy on top of Fallgrim tower! I only found him at the end of the game which meant I basically never used the ballistazooka. The merchant sells acid which can be used to upgrade your weapons, and is probably the largest boost to your effectiveness you can have.

I think the best temple order is fire temple, ice temple, obsidian temple. I did ice first (it's the one with the werewolf type guys and the guys with swords stuck in them) and found it a lot harder than the fire temple.

Try hitting the Old Prisoner - he launches you into the air (he doesn't get mad and break the plot or anything) and you can harden before you hit the ground.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a combat style for mortal shell that wrecks everything including bosses so far and is super easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9No1vbhAxEI

I love this game because it's such a homage to Dark Souls 1 that it even nods to things like untouchable cheese strats and bad enemy AI that lets you easily pull everything one at a time,

Here's a video of my blind run of the second half of the flame dungeon where I abused this cheesy leap attack and some occasional AI quirks to one-shot the entire dungeon while barely getting scratched

Spoilers for one of Tiel's skill memories and the second half of the Sanctum of Flame and its boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fr7Hgxz9aw

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Volte posted:

To follow up on my Mortal Shell combat griping, I'm fighting this boss Crucix the Twiceborn and upon landing a successful parry with no resolve charges, I am literally stunned for longer than the boss to the point where I take unavoidable damage from the crossbow guy sticking out of his chest, which auto-attacks after a parry. I can't even harden during the post-parry stun animation, so he always hits me with one crossbow bolt before I can harden through it. The frustrating thing is that the combat is a few small gripes away from being good and rewarding, but those things sometimes cross over into the "unavoidable bullshit damage" territory. Or at least, the systems they gave me to interact with are sometimes unavoidably counterproductive.

Literally just beat this. Used the starting sword and the heavy class. It took me a few times, but generally it really want too bad. I usually run/heavy attack which lunges at him and harden somewhere in that. Wait for him to hit me, back up and repeat. Whenever he jumped away when I lunged, the crossbow was going to be used so i hardened. Note that i also have the sword upgraded to gain resolve faster and I had my character mostly maxed out.

This is the way i usually. Sort of found it organically.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's a combat style for mortal shell that wrecks everything including bosses so far and is super easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9No1vbhAxEI

Tarezax posted:

this sort of thing happened to me once. I just quit out and when i came back in the game i was at my last checkpoint.

strategery fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 24, 2020

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I'm trying to install Vermintide 2 via Steam, but it keeps having an error for me.

It prepares hard drive space and then starts downloading, but once it has downloaded around 1 gig of 60, it says I have a "Disk Write Error" and stops. I've tried uninstalling Vermintide 2 and starting the install again, and I've tried the general troubleshooting stuff Steam recommends, like clearing cache and restarting computer and whatnot. Whenever I've uninstalled and try an install from scratch again, it seems to get stuck at a slightly different point of the download, ranging between getting the error around 600 megabytes downloaded to 1.1 gigs downloaded. But if I try to resume a partial failed download it seems to start a few hundred megabytes before and then always get the disk write error at the same point.

It's a laptop, and I'm downloading the game to an external drive. Normally I'd try a different drive, but I'm sort of on travel at the moment, and I've only got the one external drive, and my laptop internal drive is too full to fit a 90 gig game.

I seem to be able to download a huge game via Epic Games store without much issue to this external drive, other than slow internet. So I'm not really sure why this Steam download keeps failing.

Any suggestions?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Try freeing up more room

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The external drive I'm downloading this to has like 500 gigs free, though. I wouldn't expect that to be the issue.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

HJE-Cobra posted:

I'm trying to install Vermintide 2 via Steam, but it keeps having an error for me.

It prepares hard drive space and then starts downloading, but once it has downloaded around 1 gig of 60, it says I have a "Disk Write Error" and stops. I've tried uninstalling Vermintide 2 and starting the install again, and I've tried the general troubleshooting stuff Steam recommends, like clearing cache and restarting computer and whatnot. Whenever I've uninstalled and try an install from scratch again, it seems to get stuck at a slightly different point of the download, ranging between getting the error around 600 megabytes downloaded to 1.1 gigs downloaded. But if I try to resume a partial failed download it seems to start a few hundred megabytes before and then always get the disk write error at the same point.

It's a laptop, and I'm downloading the game to an external drive. Normally I'd try a different drive, but I'm sort of on travel at the moment, and I've only got the one external drive, and my laptop internal drive is too full to fit a 90 gig game.

I seem to be able to download a huge game via Epic Games store without much issue to this external drive, other than slow internet. So I'm not really sure why this Steam download keeps failing.

Any suggestions?

I used to get that from time to time but I'd also see texture loading problems in games. While no game actually crashed or anything, textures would sometimes look obviously low res when they shouldn't have and it lasted for a long time until I discovered it was a faulty SATA cable.

I'd recommend you back up anything important first. Then, try downloading another game to see if it happens to that too. If it does, your poo poo broke. If it doesn't, I'd recommend clearing up a little bit more disk space and see if that helps. If it doesn't, look up and run the typical windows disk checkup tools.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Well I finished Mortal Shell. Overall I think the problem I was having is because I did the "last" dungeon first, the obsidian place. All the issues I had with parrying and hardening seem unique to the enemies (and boss) from that area. I did obsidian, ice, then fire, and the last area was downright easy. The final boss was pretty easy too although he kept looping and doing the fly up/come down/waves that push you over and over again and it felt like 5 minutes between getting any damage in for awhile.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

HJE-Cobra posted:

The external drive I'm downloading this to has like 500 gigs free, though. I wouldn't expect that to be the issue.

free up your main drive (probably c:). yes, this can solve problems like this.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Managed to put 10 more hours into Watch Dogs 2 and yeah it's pretty good. I'm not sure if any other game leans into the stealth hacking genre like this game does.

The missions are zany also, from driving Googlers to work in order to hack their campus to taking acid in Burning Man.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
after giving up in disgust 5 ish years ago I finally beat La-Mulana today. I don't actually know if I recommend it because the back third of the game I got through on sheer "I need to beat this so I can think about other games" energy. There are a TON of decisions that are pointlessly mean or hidebound, but it is maybe the single most engrossing metroidvania I've ever played and I think legitimately that demon's souls owes more to this than to anything else.

In the current political and pandemic situation if you want something that will make you feel frustrated and obsessive for completely different reasons than the normal ones you should pick it up. Otherwise pick up Spelunky in Sept on PS4 or wait until October so you can play it on the PC.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well I tried freeing up a little more space on both drives, my main internal drive now with 50 gigs free. Still had the error when downloading Vermintide 2 to my external drive with over 500 gigs free. Stupid disk write error!

I'm going to try installing a different Steam game and see what happens, and if that fails I'll run a drive check or whatever on the external drive.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Impermanent posted:

after giving up in disgust 5 ish years ago I finally beat La-Mulana today. I don't actually know if I recommend it because the back third of the game I got through on sheer "I need to beat this so I can think about other games" energy. There are a TON of decisions that are pointlessly mean or hidebound, but it is maybe the single most engrossing metroidvania I've ever played and I think legitimately that demon's souls owes more to this than to anything else.

In the current political and pandemic situation if you want something that will make you feel frustrated and obsessive for completely different reasons than the normal ones you should pick it up. Otherwise pick up Spelunky in Sept on PS4 or wait until October so you can play it on the PC.

congrats op

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well I tried freeing up a little more space on both drives, my main internal drive now with 50 gigs free. Still had the error when downloading Vermintide 2 to my external drive with over 500 gigs free. Stupid disk write error!

I'm going to try installing a different Steam game and see what happens, and if that fails I'll run a drive check or whatever on the external drive.

If it only happens with Vermintide and not another game, check your antivirus. I had a game that Steam wouldn’t let me install and it kept throwing disk write errors at me and it took me the longest time to realize that my antivirus was getting a false positive for some reason on a file in the game and blocking or quarantining it, and Steam couldn’t figure out what was happening.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm generally down on loot-shooters (pay no attention to however many hundreds of hours I've clocked in Warframe) but I'm kinda interested in Outriders, People Can Fly's crack at it. It seems a lot faster than most others, both in player movement and the speed at which enemies go down, more focused on hordes of weaker foes than a few bullet sponges. I dig that aggression is the primary way to heal. It's also got some of that classic PCF gore, most notably one dude has an attack that turns people into skeletons that then explode into blood showers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=issxrCT2JeI&t=196s

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I tried reinstalling Mordheim now that i can actually run the drat thing, but for some reason it goes straight to fatal error with a field to fill out on what happened. this happening to anybody else?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Impermanent posted:

congrats, that's a notable gaming achievement. I still haven't finished the sequel but from what I've played it's just as good and just as painful as the first game, and adds a lot of cool poo poo, so you have that to look forward to as well

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Impermanent posted:

play La-Mulana 2 now

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Flimf posted:

play La-Mulana 2 now

I'd be interested in a trip report, because I had a similar experience with the original (with attempts going as far back as the original untranslated freeware release, vaguely assisted by google translated hint guides) but absolutely could not stand 2 for long enough to even make it out of the first area.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Orv posted:

I'm pretty sure I and the other people being 'really weird' about it would be completely fine with it being titled the general thread, it was just the way it was handled, which we were all pretty calm about (I was a bit snippier than I maybe needed to be.) Go for it.

E: Keep the genuinely good Romance of the 3 Storefronts bit though, please.

As probably the weirdest person about this I agree with Orv.

Sorry again for being an rear end in a top hat at you folks, y'all were just joking around and I took it the worst way possible. No hard feelings on my end and I'll endeavor to be less of a weird rear end in a top hat in the future.

Anyway moving on to video games I'll try and write something up later about Dreamscaper for the other couple of people that were interested.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 24, 2020

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They temporarily turned off auto-demolition for housing back in March.

I'm not sure if you can keep it while unsubbed but you don't have to log in to touch the house at least.

tfw your video game housing has better protections in place than your real life housing

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Griefor posted:

tfw your video game housing has better protections in place than your real life housing

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1296537523515281408

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

I uninstalled FFXIV today. I can breathe again! Even though it was a good FF game through Shadowbringers, it is still a MMO and I can't play these subscription games without getting addicted and feeling guilty when I play anything else while my sub is active.

I think almost everyone would be happier if they dipped in and out of this (and service games) instead of feeling obligated to grimly grind through all the content just because it's there. Sometimes I find myself doing poo poo like grinding a gathering relic, remember I have no reason to do something so tedious if I'm not being paid for it, and have to force myself to stop having completionist brain. Obviously everyone's level of tolerance for and even enjoyment of grinds is different, and sometimes just finding something to do to pass the time is fine, but breaking out when it feels like an obligation is a good thing.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I think almost everyone would be happier if they dipped in and out of this (and service games) instead of feeling obligated to grimly grind through all the content just because it's there. Sometimes I find myself doing poo poo like grinding a gathering relic, remember I have no reason to do something so tedious if I'm not being paid for it, and have to force myself to stop having completionist brain. Obviously everyone's level of tolerance for and even enjoyment of grinds is different, and sometimes just finding something to do to pass the time is fine, but breaking out when it feels like an obligation is a good thing.

Like you said, it affected you as well. Speaking for only myself, it's not so much obligation as inertia sometimes. When I stop enjoying a game I have been playing a lot I keep doing it for a while out of habit. It takes a bit before I realize, hey, I'm not having fun anymore, time to call it quits. Which I do believe is by design, a lot of games have all kind of psychological tricks like daily things to keep you coming in and to make their game a permanent fixture in your mind.

I have had good times in MMOs (WoW and FFXIV mostly) in the past but I'm very reserved about getting into another one, not even because I'm afraid of addiction but just because it's such a massive time investment which used to be a selling point for me as a teenager but now it's a massive barrier I don't care to overcome.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Children of Morta added some cute pet dlc and 100% of the proceeds go to the Humane Society International.

Paws and Claws DLC - key new features:
- Animal Shelter System - which adds a whole new section of the house!
- A herd of varied animals visited the family’s house: Deer, fox, birds and more.
- New mechanic: use treats to feed animals and look after them.
- New special animal-related boosts (XP Gain, Movement Speed and more) available for the Bergsons.
- New Home Interactive Events
- More than 100 new animations, big and small, showing you the life of your new animal friends!

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 24, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I know they are different game types, but can anybody tell me how far they improved going from moonlighter to Children of Morta

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I noticed I got into the Artifact 2.0 beta the other day and when I installed it said 5 other people were looking for matches. This uh..Reboot aint going too well is it?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I noticed I got into the Artifact 2.0 beta the other day and when I installed it said 5 other people were looking for matches. This uh..Reboot aint going too well is it?

Valve doesn't seem to understand that companies only pull off post-release resurrections when people actually care about the game in the first place

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I recently picked up Persona 4 Golden on Steam. The last time I played that game was on the original release and I have to say, I am really amazed by some of the convenience features they added. It's really great. There is now a Persona search feature which tells you everything that you can fuse with your current loadout, which would have saved me a stupid amount of time back in the day. The ability to just warp to next or previous floor from anywhere on a dungeon level is also just incredible. If anyone is on the fence about this release, don't be. It's great. I have not experienced bugs, crashes, or any other problems. If you have never played Persona 4 before and you want to, this is the release to get, hands-down.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

with the glory of the vita u couldve experienced this gaming ambrosia in 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hey, I have some standards.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Golden definitely set a high bar for remakes and remasters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still waiting on my N-Gage port.