Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

Who the gently caress are these 10% of Democrats that think this poo poo is acceptable??

That's the center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

I am not aware of a single thing new about coronavirus therapeutics.

https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1297375488504209408?s=19

The only reasonable thing I can think of here is either the newly-approved saliva test (a week ago), or the establishment of test pooling. Neither are therapeutics. Something stinks.

First bit of information on this: https://amp.ft.com/content/b053f55b-2a8b-436c-8154-0e93dcdb3c1a?__twitter_impression=true

quote:

The Trump administration is considering bypassing normal US regulatory standards to fast-track an experimental coronavirus vaccine from the UK for use in America ahead of the presidential election, according to three people briefed on the plan.

One option being explored to speed up the availability of a vaccine would involve the US Food and Drug Administration awarding “emergency use authorisation” (EUA) in October to a vaccine being developed in a partnership between AstraZeneca and Oxford university, based on the results from a relatively small UK study if it is successful, the people said.

The AstraZeneca study has enrolled 10,000 volunteers, whereas the US government’s scientific agencies have said that a vaccine would need to be studied in 30,000 people to pass the threshold for authorisation. AstraZeneca is also conducting a larger study with 30,000 volunteers, although the results from that will come after the smaller trial.

I would put this in the "kinda not great, but not quite worthy of FDA resignations" bucket. Sounds like they want to cut corners on the Oxford vaccine.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Every argument for having a minimum voting age can be used for a maximum voting age too. And there are other arguments for a maximum voting age, like the fact that old people won't be alive to see the effect of their horrible policies.

A maximum voting age would disproportionately disenfranchise women.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Sounds to me like we're better off just implementing a maximum age

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

People need to know when they've been fooled. Not saying you should kick in her door and be all "you voted for a fascist, grandma" but politely informing her of all the horrible poo poo this administration has done would go a long way in preventing her from voting for the orange idiot again.

It's not a pretty picture to paint, but cognitively functioning and voting seniors need to be just as informed of this poo poo as every other voting body in this country. Spare the children the horror stories, but not the olds, they need to know what they voted for.

I mean she was barely passing during the 16 election, that woman completed changed her mind on who she was voting for in 2 minutes probably. Since then she's had a heart procedure that's ruined what's left of her memory, telling her would be cruel. She won't be voting again.

Agree that it's debatable at that point how you should be able to vote but gently caress she's still technically able to drive. Land of the free really has some issues.

I haven't seen the "friend" since but have a conversation waiting for her if I ever do.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm starting to be concerned only those of us making the Jim Crow jokes are getting them, so I'll just say it: cognitive or educational tests as a condition of voting was part of Jim Crow.

If you're worried that some people are too stupid to vote, figure out how to educate them, and how to outnumber them.

plus anyone old enough to have severe dementia is already set in their ways enough to determine who they vote for, or their vote is approaching true random when combined together so it doesn't matter anyways

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

That Works posted:

Sounds to me like we're better off just implementing a maximum age

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I do remember a conversation from when the Parkland kids were talking about lowering the voting age. My step dad had apparently been watching fox news and thought it was completely unreasonable. He got real mad when I said they'd make more rational choices than grandma.

Also thankfully(?) we're in Illinois so her vote matters less.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:getin:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Raise the minimum voting age to 25. Raise the minimum age for joining the military to 25 as well.

Reasons being that the risk center of the brain should be fully developed or drat close to, you don't have parents trying to politically brainwash their kids so they vote how they want from 18 years old on, or, more likely, kids have freedom from their parents for a few years and can make up their own mind.

Max voting age: 75. You got 50 years of voting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Good point! I hadn't considered that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dum Cumpster posted:

I do remember a conversation from when the Parkland kids were talking about lowering the voting age. My step dad had apparently been watching fox news and thought it was completely unreasonable. He got real mad when I said they'd make more rational choices than grandma.

Minimum voting age should be the minimum age children can be tried as an adult.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

First bit of information on this: https://amp.ft.com/content/b053f55b-2a8b-436c-8154-0e93dcdb3c1a?__twitter_impression=true

I would put this in the "kinda not great, but not quite worthy of FDA resignations" bucket. Sounds like they want to cut corners on the Oxford vaccine.

poo poo, nevermind.

https://twitter.com/GlennKesslerWP/status/1297597508466679808?s=19

This is a dumbass PR stunt.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't understand the "approval." The hospitals in my area have been treating patients with it from the beginning (as soon as supplies became available).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Yeah, I was telling my kids about this back in March.

e: And this is why I still go to work
https://twitter.com/FAM_BAM_NYC/status/1297598525455454209

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

I don't understand the "approval." The hospitals in my area have been treating patients with it from the beginning (as soon as supplies became available).

WaPo makes it sound like the Mayo Clinic was running point on all of this, so if you really wanted to run the plasma treatment, you'd have to run through Mayo. Now, it's getting used on a widespread basis, so the emergency approval cuts some of the hurdles, most of which are de facto gone already.

It's a PR stunt for a harmless treatment that seems like it helps, but only a bit. This is all because Donnie called it a "beautiful ingredient" a while back and wants to announce something before the RNC. FDA people probably threw them a bone because it's already been used and isn't harmful.

And of course, ignore me compared to actual medical people here!

Edit: counterargument from a few days ago that basically said it's too early and the data isn't in / not that clear https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/19/us/politics/blood-plasma-covid-19.html#click=https://t.co/45b3rHmN7q

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 23, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Where are all these murdered and aborted babies coming from? Are they collecting jizz and just stretching the truth?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I was telling my kids about this back in March.

e: And this is why I still go to work
https://twitter.com/FAM_BAM_NYC/status/1297598525455454209

We are so loving doomed lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Afaik convalescent plasma has its own risks and probably is useful in very urgent cases only?

I gotta read up more on where the status of this is now.

Basically, your own immune system can use antibodies from someone elses serum to detect and help clear covid infection. But, your own immune system eventually recognizes lots of stuff in that serum / plasma as "not me" and starts to make an immune response to that as well. This can lead to a syndrome known as 'serum sickness' which can have some nasty side effects like kidney failure etc. So, convalescent plasma is a viable therapy when the probability of serum sickness is less than the probability of death by infection etc.

They may have done some things to help mitigate serum sickness etc that I am not aware of. This is a bit outside my direct field.

e: either way it's not something you're gonna just stroll into a pharmacy / doctors office and get.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Where are all these murdered and aborted babies coming from? Are they collecting jizz and just stretching the truth?

A significant number of vaccines are produced using fetal cell lines from abortions in the 60s. Even the Vatican has said that the vaccines are far enough removed from the abortions that there is no moral problem, and also it's a moral imperative to get vaccinated in order to protect others.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

He's going after ballot drop-boxes now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LingcodKilla posted:

Well, you see, babies are just gelatinous blobs of stem cells that, with the power of Jesus, form into a miniature human being, complete with God-willed sexual features, when they pass through the birthing canal. The anointing of the childs' body with wet rear end pussy juice on the way out proves that God has chosen this body as a vessel of a follower, and that the child will be prosperous as long as it maintains a faith in the Lord and donates frequently to the evangelical group of its' choice.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Well, you see, babies are just gelatinous blobs of stem cells that, with the power of Jesus, form into a miniature human being, complete with God-willed sexual features, when they pass through the birthing canal. The anointing of the childs' body with wet rear end pussy juice on the way out proves that God has chosen this body as a vessel of a follower, and that the child will be prosperous as long as it maintains a faith in the Lord and donates frequently to the evangelical group of its' choice.

mr minge please put your pants back on

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's sunday, pants only go on for dog walks and pizza deliveries.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

(henceforth referred to as WAP juice)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Sergg posted:

He's going after ballot drop-boxes now.

I really hope he gets banned from the platform the minute he’s not president anymore.

Edit: not that I’m a fan of Twitter. I’d just like to see/hear about the meltdown it would cause.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There are already mechanisms for limiting the rights of old people who are unable to deal with the world rationally, usually due to dementia or some other degenerative brain thing. Hard pass on just setting an age limit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1296989310684729344

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Does he even have lawyers to vet this poo poo or is all just for optics?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

LingcodKilla posted:

Does he even have lawyers to vet this poo poo or is all just for optics?

Who needs lawyers when you have your good friend Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

you should kick in her door and be all "you voted for a fascist, grandma"

:lmao:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://www.thecut.com/2020/08/nasa-says-asteroid-is-headed-for-earth-just-before-election.html

It's happening!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

In a twist it impacts the moon and the resulting debris field locks us out of space. Extra points: it destroys the existing communication network and we go full escape from LA.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
:( it isn't an extinction event size asteroid :(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's gonna hit a central ballot collection site in Florida where it will destroy everything and trump will declare victory because it's trump.

poo poo he'll probably declare victory in october anyhow.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/nmarchio/status/1297636843589074950?s=20

Please loving walk into the ocean you god drat terrible human being Rahm

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Please loving walk into the ocean you god drat terrible human being Rahm

Not an empty quote.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

We don't need more trash in the ocean thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

MRC48B posted:

We don't need more trash in the ocean thx.

Car batteries only.