Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Return all Indo-Europeans to the Donbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Let's all go back to the East African rift region.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We're part-Neanderthal so we can stay

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just throw all animal life back into the sea where it belongs. Also the Netherlands.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PawParole posted:

give it back to whoever lived there before the beaker people. probably neanderthals

"Bloody beaker folk, coming over here, rowing up the tagus estuary from the iberian peninsula in improvised rafts, coming over here with their beakers, their drinking vessels, what's wrong with just cupping up the water in your hands and licking it up like a cat? My name's Paul Nuttall from UKIP, and I say we need to ensure the brightest and best beaker folk stay in the Iberian peninsula and fill it with beakers, instead of coming over here to the UK and teaching us to drink liquid out of cups."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The picts have been waiting very patiently underground for all the invaders to leave.

also

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reveilled posted:

"Bloody beaker folk, coming over here, rowing up the tagus estuary from the iberian peninsula in improvised rafts, coming over here with their beakers, their drinking vessels, what's wrong with just cupping up the water in your hands and licking it up like a cat? My name's Paul Nuttall from UKIP, and I say we need to ensure the brightest and best beaker folk stay in the Iberian peninsula and fill it with beakers, instead of coming over here to the UK and teaching us to drink liquid out of cups."

Get back in the sea.

You finned oval office.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

:perfect:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
To be honest, I'm increasingly of the opinion that we've all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees. I'd even argue that even the trees had been a bad move, and that we should've have never left the oceans.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Antigravitas posted:

To be honest, I'm increasingly of the opinion that we've all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees. I'd even argue that even the trees had been a bad move, and that we should've have never left the oceans.

Douglas Adams pushed that logic a bit further still:

quote:

The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Why is it Eastern Sibéria with the biggest range, and not the central parts furthest from the sea?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Ras Het posted:

Why is it Eastern Sibéria with the biggest range, and not the central parts furthest from the sea?

Because of the semi-permanent high pressure system that forms over Eastern Siberia in wintertime and pushes temperatures down. At the same time, Western Siberia gets at least some warm air from the southwest.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Found on twitter:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This one has been updated quite a bit

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm still surprised that the US quietly went along with nationwide gay marriage, and without a states' revolt. I never could have predicted it even just 15-20 years ago, when it seemed like there were so many creationists and religious freaks generally that it barely looked like a Western country at all.

The interesting and perhaps ironic thing about Trump is that in a way he helped bring the US more into alignment with Europe, in the sense that its 'conservatives' (a word the right would rarely use to describe itself over here) have started resembling the European (far) right more and more. I guess the Tea Party movement sort of bridged the gap between its traditional religious conservatism, and modern-day Trumpism - which is of course still much more economically liberal than anything you'd find in Europe.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This one has been updated quite a bit

It's vitally important to show every local government in the northern half of nigeria and absolutely nowhere else.

E: and I guess mexico

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 24, 2020

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I'm still surprised that the US quietly went along with nationwide gay marriage, and without a states' revolt. I never could have predicted it even just 15-20 years ago, when it seemed like there were so many creationists and religious freaks generally that it barely looked like a Western country at all.

The interesting and perhaps ironic thing about Trump is that in a way he helped bring the US more into alignment with Europe, in the sense that its 'conservatives' (a word the right would rarely use to describe itself over here) have started resembling the European (far) right more and more. I guess the Tea Party movement sort of bridged the gap between its traditional religious conservatism, and modern-day Trumpism - which is of course still much more economically liberal than anything you'd find in Europe.

The Republicans have been roughly 50:50 on legalizing gay marriage since way before Trump.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm. Yes, it's probably more accurate to say that Trump is the symptom of a changing society, not the cause. He's just been speeding things up a bit.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The United States is really not coming into alignment with Europe. Not on social issues, not on economic issues. The United States is not just Europe but less than.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
The US is unquestionably coming in line with Europe on social issues, though your mileage will vary tremendously by state.

Also on what is being defined as Europe, which I'm going to as usual assume means "Western Europe".

Heck even Western Europe isn't flying on all cylinders wrt gay marriage. Switzerland and Italy are still dragging their feet. The latter notoriously toxically macho, and the former the cool as heck place that had at least one canton wait until the 90's to give women suffrage.

Grape fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 24, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Squalid posted:

The United States is really not coming into alignment with Europe. Not on social issues, not on economic issues. The United States is not just Europe but less than.

Are you sure? When I hear Trump speak I think 'yes, this is basically Vlaams Belang with a few different emphases'. Less moralism and imperialism, more xenophobia and protectionism than past Republicans.

Economically, there is of course still a wide gap despite Trump's protectionist tendencies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I have no goddamn idea what you're talking about. Are you trying to say like Europe has always had racism as the center of conservatism, which had been relatively out of focus for a little while before the tea party came around to remind them all how much they hated blacks? Are you taking the fact that the religious right put all their support into one of the most sinful men in politics into power as some sign that their religious beliefs aren't relevant to their politics? Because they've always been entirely hypocritical on that front.

I do know there was a whole thing where it seemed like far-right parties were in ascendancy across the globe in a bunch of countries at once, but I thought that was just as surprising to Europeans as Americans.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grape posted:

The US is unquestionably coming in line with Europe on social issues, though your mileage will vary tremendously by state.

Also on what is being defined as Europe, which I'm going to as usual assume means "Western Europe".

Heck even Western Europe isn't flying on all cylinders wrt gay marriage. Switzerland and Italy are still dragging their feet. The latter notoriously toxically macho, and the former the cool as heck place that had at least one canton wait until the 90's to give women suffrage.
That difference seems to be more down to the degree of centralization of the two. In a US where suffrage was decided on a county-by-county level, some would probably still require you to own land.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That difference seems to be more down to the degree of centralization of the two. In a US where suffrage was decided on a county-by-county level, some would probably still require you to own land.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I have no goddamn idea what you're talking about. Are you trying to say like Europe has always had racism as the center of conservatism, which had been relatively out of focus for a little while before the tea party came around to remind them all how much they hated blacks? Are you taking the fact that the religious right put all their support into one of the most sinful men in politics into power as some sign that their religious beliefs aren't relevant to their politics? Because they've always been entirely hypocritical on that front.

I do know there was a whole thing where it seemed like far-right parties were in ascendancy across the globe in a bunch of countries at once, but I thought that was just as surprising to Europeans as Americans.

I really don't think my post was that hard to comprehend, even if you disagree with my assessment. My view of the right in the US used to be that they were mostly gun-toting zealots pushing fundamentalist Christianity wherever they could. Now they still tote guns, but xenophobia/racism and the like seem to be the name of the game, and ethical concerns are increasingly seen as irrelevant, even ridiculous (as has been the case in most of Western Europe for half a century).

Is that not the case, has my view been warped by the Internet?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phlegmish posted:

I really don't think my post was that hard to comprehend, even if you disagree with my assessment. My view of the right in the US used to be that they were mostly gun-toting zealots pushing fundamentalist Christianity wherever they could. Now they still tote guns, but xenophobia/racism and the like seem to be the name of the game, and ethical concerns are increasingly seen as irrelevant, even ridiculous (as has been the case in most of Western Europe for half a century).

Because America, home of the Ku Klux Klan and the Jim Crow laws, did not used to be racist and it's something that's just happened there in the early 21st century, probably a European import.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Because America, home of the Ku Klux Klan and the Jim Crow laws, did not used to be racist and it's something that's just happened there in the early 21st century, probably a European import.

Let's meet half way and agree on it being a European import

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

What? I said none of those things. Jesus (no pun intended), just forget it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.localingual.com/

Website where people record themselves speaking their language. Neat!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Is that not the case, has my view been warped by the Internet?

A little but only in the sense that you're cutting out other major groups among US conservatives.

There's nominally three large branches of the GOP: The Social Conservatives are basically what you describe above, the Military Conservatives who care about keeping the US as the dominant force of the world via an overwhelming supply of hard power and some soft power, and the Fiscal Conservatives who want to maximize business profits as much as possible by advantageous trade deals, favorable regulations and various incentives (think: big business/corporate types).

Based on these branches, Conservative Americans are influenced to some degree by each but to varying extents but more or less fall into at least one category. In the last decade, more populist and extreme elements have started to become more influential, at least in two of the three branches. The Tea Party is basically a more extreme extension of the Fiscal Conservatives where the previous guard saw at least some benefit of having federal apparatuses do some of the heavy lifting to benefit businesses with what little money they deign to fund them with, the Tea Party would cut out the federal apparatus entirely and let private enterprise sort it out as get the government out of business is worth more than whatever any cost benefit analysis says. The other influenced branch is Social Conservatives where the xenophobia is dialed up even louder without regards on if it steps on the toes of the other conservative philosophies (which it very well does). The desire of authoritarian policies in order to execute them has also dialed up, even if it's in conflict with the anti-government positions of the Libertarian/Tea Party types.

Edit: What's largely changed in the 21st century during and after the Bush era is the rise/revival of a sort of Populist Conservatism which includes the Tea Party and Evangelicals as described above.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 24, 2020

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I can see what Phleghmish means, in that when I was a kid the image of the American right was seen, through Bush, as "people who hate abortions and love guns", which we mostly found a funny joke in Europe because we contrasted it with our idyllic Social Democratic consensus with vague liberal flavourants, whereas we nowadays see the same racism and xenophobia that motivates our right wing, which isn't funny

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I can see what Phleghmish means, in that when I was a kid the image of the American right was seen, through Bush, as "people who hate abortions and love guns", which we mostly found a funny joke in Europe because we contrasted it with our idyllic Social Democratic consensus with vague liberal flavourants, whereas we nowadays see the same racism and xenophobia that motivates our right wing, which isn't funny

Yeah, this is what I meant. The secularization of American society, in my opinion, is a good thing, but the talking points that are still current are depressingly similar to Europe in a lot of ways.
I was born in 1990 and I vividly remember having discussions with American creationists online as a young teenager. Now, in 2020, it's rare that religion ever even comes up as a subject.

Thanks for the explanation, Xelkelvos. Yeah, both parties are 'big-tent' in that all of the traditional strains are represented, but I also feel that there's been a gradual rhetorical shift over the past twenty years.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

The US Right always had some level of that racism and xenophobia, but the party usually kept that sort of stuff to a murmur as the financial benefits of at least giving lip service to immigrants were hard to ignore and pulling minorities away from the Democratic party was a big long term goal of the GOP that bordered on a white whale. The expectation was for the electorate to follow suit while the party would quash the voice of anyone saying the quiet part out loud at too high of a volume or frequency.

Edit:

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, this is what I meant. The secularization of American society, in my opinion, is a good thing, but the talking points that are still current are depressingly similar to Europe in a lot of ways.
I was born in 1990 and I vividly remember having discussions with American creationists online as a young teenager. Now, in 2020, it's rare that religion ever even comes up as a subject.

Thanks for the explanation, Xelkelvos. Yeah, both parties are 'big-tent' in that all of the traditional strains are represented, but I also feel that there's been a gradual rhetorical shift over the past twenty years.

Younger Conservatives are definitely more secular compared to their older ideological brethren and in one or two aspects more progressive (opinions on homosexuality is usually the one brought up), but in place of their brand of God, they heap further worship on whatever ideologue has captured their attention.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 24, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Those people moved out of their fundie parents's houses is what happened.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We're not more or less secular than we were 20 years ago, just different interest groups are in control of the parties so different squeaky wheels are getting the grease. The two-party system makes it extremely hard for any one interest group to make its concerns a national issue, and a whole lot of the fundamentalism circulating through politicians was itself a proxy for being against the type of people that would be pro-freedom of religion and secularism, not unlike the "own the libs" crowd these days.

Similarly, there's a really small proportion of the population that is really that gung-ho about guns; even the majority of gunowners when polled are in favor of some more gun control measures. But one lobbyist group was powerful enough to wedge itself into national politics to make itself the most feared lobby group in national politics, while conniving a way to create a new interpretation of the 2nd amendment from what it had been for the last 200 years.

I guess it's a little like how the current UK government has a mandate represented by 37% of the nationwide votes.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

We're not more or less secular than we were 20 years ago,

We are absolutely less religious than we were 20 years ago and trending the same. Check basically any polling on the matter.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

A little but only in the sense that you're cutting out other major groups among US conservatives.

There's nominally three large branches of the GOP: The Social Conservatives are basically what you describe above, the Military Conservatives who care about keeping the US as the dominant force of the world via an overwhelming supply of hard power and some soft power, and the Fiscal Conservatives who want to maximize business profits as much as possible by advantageous trade deals, favorable regulations and various incentives (think: big business/corporate types).

Based on these branches, Conservative Americans are influenced to some degree by each but to varying extents but more or less fall into at least one category. In the last decade, more populist and extreme elements have started to become more influential, at least in two of the three branches. The Tea Party is basically a more extreme extension of the Fiscal Conservatives where the previous guard saw at least some benefit of having federal apparatuses do some of the heavy lifting to benefit businesses with what little money they deign to fund them with, the Tea Party would cut out the federal apparatus entirely and let private enterprise sort it out as get the government out of business is worth more than whatever any cost benefit analysis says. The other influenced branch is Social Conservatives where the xenophobia is dialed up even louder without regards on if it steps on the toes of the other conservative philosophies (which it very well does). The desire of authoritarian policies in order to execute them has also dialed up, even if it's in conflict with the anti-government positions of the Libertarian/Tea Party types.

Edit: What's largely changed in the 21st century during and after the Bush era is the rise/revival of a sort of Populist Conservatism which includes the Tea Party and Evangelicals as described above.

This it a good post, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grape posted:

:rip: abortion rights