Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dreylad posted:

It gets to the point where they have to use Data as the stand-in for "wow this alien is really strong" because worf gets his rear end kicked so much.

I disagree about him being out of place in DS9: the show does a lot to make him seem like much more of a competent officer, because it allows his fuckups to actually drive the story of a few episodes rather than it being par for the course.

IIRC Michael Dorn actually requested that if they're gonna put him on DS9 they let Worf actually accomplish some things. And turns out it makes for a more interesting character, who knew.

DS9 also has the reveal that his personality is more because he accidentally killed someone as a kid while playing sports, which on top of being a reference to the novel Gladiator (one of the proto superhero archetypes, The Venture Bros also references it with Brock Samson's backstory) informs a lot about him. Funny thing is though, I think stoicism is actually a not uncommon attitude among Klingons, or at least considered a valid expression of Klingon-ness, given old dude Koloth seems to have a similar attitude. (Also funny thing is that Vulcan influence might mean it's not uncommon in the Federation either, and may have informed Worf's deveopment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Dreylad posted:

It gets to the point where they have to use Data as the stand-in for "wow this alien is really strong" because worf gets his rear end kicked so much.

I disagree about him being out of place in DS9: the show does a lot to make him seem like much more of a competent officer, because it allows his fuckups to actually drive the story of a few episodes rather than it being par for the course.

Also Klingons gotta feel bad that they evolved to a have like 5 redundant organs so they'd be really hard to kill and Romulans can just blow them away with a disruptor anyway. Or that they still constantly lose in hand-to-hand against a bunch of normal humans throwing two-fisted haymakers.

klingons are sparta to the federation's athens, and by tng its clear their real strength is talking themselves up

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWi3WEwudZU

loving lmao.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

does star trek ever actually try explain why almost every sapient species in the galaxy is humanoid, many of which can interbreed, most of whom are somehow on relative technological parity, and have relatively similar levels of intelligence? or for that matter how dumbshits like the klingons and ferengis are operating on the same level as the federation and romulans and poo poo

they fill the episodes with absurd technobabble about the dumbest most meaningless minutiae in what i can only imagine is an attempt at creating a feeling of verisimilitude, but what about the broader things

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheeee posted:

does star trek ever actually try explain why almost every sapient species in the galaxy is humanoid, many of which can interbreed, most of whom are somehow on relative technological parity, and have relatively similar levels of intelligence? or for that matter how dumbshits like the klingons and ferengis are operating on the same level as the federation and romulans and poo poo

they fill the episodes with absurd technobabble about the dumbest most meaningless minutiae in what i can only imagine is an attempt at creating a feeling of verisimilitude, but what about the broader things

They actually did have an episode where a humanoid precursor species apparently seeded the galaxy with their DNA, so your dumb question got a dumb answer

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They actually did have an episode where a humanoid precursor species apparently seeded the galaxy with their DNA, so your dumb question got a dumb answer

It's funny too because I remember that episode being really good until the last 5 minutes. It's like a trans-galactic chase that keeps ramping up as new races show up to join in this hunt for a random thing that's appeared and that they all worry is going to be some superweapon that give the other one a leg up.

Then they all arrive at the planet at the same time and beam down and a dumbass alien hologram appears and says "you're all our children lol that's it bye" and everyone present is like wtf and goes home

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Idk seems like a fine way to handwave it? I guess you could say it didn't need an explanation in the first place, which yeah I agree, but i don't think it's the dumbest explanation

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I mostly remember Worf as being the guy who's right about the alien threat of the day and being shut down by Picard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut is the most successful popular movement in the US in recent decades

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m loving lollling

https://twitter.com/zacksnyder/status/1297246597974077441?s=21

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

lmfao he really is the world's oldest 14 year old boy

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

zach snyder's chocolate lucky charms with squid ink, for grownups

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I enjoyed the burn on Scott Mendelson here only because he is somehow worse than Snyder.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got Tropico 1 without really knowing what it was when I was 11. I loved it.

This was like 2002 so the height of rah rah Americuh that I unfortunately bought in to because I was a stupid kid.

So I always curried favor with the US and capitalists and always trolled the Soviets and communists on the island. I made sure higher tier jobs got more pay and never raised the pay the whole game. My life as a preteen neoliberal. I did only charge enough rent to break even because I’m both their landlord and employer so it didn’t really make any sense to me to bother.

The only problem is it’s hard to annoy the communists if you’re playing it right... because mostly what they want is just housing, food, and jobs. Why would you not provide these things? If you don’t people get sick of your poo poo and pick up AKs. I can feel my cognitive dissonance all way from over here.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lol

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
That song goes horribly with that trailer. Could be a sign that pandering to your "adult" audience could be a mistake?

Not like I plan to watch it either way.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

its review bait for youtubers meant to draw their following to sign up for hbo max

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

Is he still looking to make a film adaptation of the Fountainhead?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
^^^^ Yes, it's still in pre-production iirc ^^^^^

Taintrunner posted:

loving lmao.

I actually bought into the shots / editing of this trailer. The actual art deco / colors are still terrible though.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol at colin farrell in the new batman movie

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
ngl i thought he was russel crowe (not that shot).

e: turns out it's Alex ferns as police commisioner that got me confused, still....Colin looks transformed for sure

MoaM has issued a correction as of 07:03 on Aug 23, 2020

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Zack Snyder loving rules

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Colin Farrel turned into a genial fat Irish dad and it owns.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Laterite posted:

Colin Farrel turned into a genial fat Irish dad and it owns.

My favorite movie of his is In Bruges so I'm amused at the thought of him turning into Brendan Gleeson

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

My favorite movie of his is In Bruges so I'm amused at the thought of him turning into Brendan Gleeson

More like Richard Kind, tbh.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1297303008645017601?s=20
this is absurd. who thought this was a good idea. just slop for the hog fans.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's cool when batman punches people

Serf
May 5, 2011

dc seems to be just making whatever weird poo poo they want and that's better than the cinematic universe bullshit, so i say let 'em and see what happens. i'm always up to see that little freak paul dano do his thing

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

btw the teen titans movie is actually kinda good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY09EnD_Pak

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1297303008645017601?s=20
this is absurd. who thought this was a good idea. just slop for the hog fans.

I met Zachary Levi (guy who plays Shazam) and he was really cool so I hope this works out for him

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
b'wana beast movie when???

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lol when the cohen song started playing in the trailer I felt ill, the sound of his voice set to this capeshit was like a parody video

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Aug 23, 2020

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

Maggie Mae Fish recently did a deep-dive of Snyder, one of her better analyses I thought. The "they're already dead" trope is really disgusting. Except for zombies, I guess.

[link type="youtube" start="3s"]gY7EnEuqb7M[/link]

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm watching Netflix's "High Score", and in general I find it entertaining enough. It's visually well shot and edited.

But maybe 4 or 5 episodes in, I got jaded by just how much the series is leaning heavily on the aspirational aspect of gaming. The champions of the very first few video game competitions are legitimately interesting just because they were interesting Firsts. The first Space Invaders champion. The first Nintendo World champion. Cool. But after the 5th or 6th champion they profile, I grew tired of it.

I'd say it's like if King of Kong didn't constantly lampshade how being a Donkey Kong record holder was actually a dubious achievement. KoK worked because it didn't heroify its characters. It was a comedy about losers.

At one point, I thought the show was going subvert this trope when they profiled an early Street Fighter II champion. It showed him at his high point as a teen, and then they smash cut to him as an adult with a bleak, boring white collar job. I wish the story just ended there. But then it turned into a story of him pivoting to esports and still doing what he loves.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
any documentary about gaming and esports should, by law, have to include darksydephil

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm watching High Score the same way I watch Toys That Made Us. It's a good distraction if you can remember how you felt about these things when you were a kid.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aArqS8RHWT0

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Watched Platform over the weekend, it's a pretty decent "people trapped in a metaphor" movie.

I went to letterboxd to see what others thought about it, and the two biggest review threads were:

um actually, it was about communism because people were starving

and the other one - it was stupid because the platform was going to fast and the girl would have died anyway from the acceleration

im ded

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

um actually, it was about communism because people were starving

this is one of the most over the top, on the nose, spoonfeeding movies imaginable. also saw these takes about snowpiercer, and even sorry to bother you ("because in communism you dont have any choices so its like youre stuck in a cubicle at a call center and the only way up is to brownnose the people above"). people like this would still have these takes even if "ITS AN ALLEGORY ABOUT CAPITALISM, WHICH IS BAD" were flashing on the screen the entire time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tWKJwyG6Y

what if you had an edgy superhero movie with twenty characters except half of their powers are gun

also