Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Oh, it gets worse. I went down a bit of a rabbit hole and found she has a Patreon where it looks like she does nothing but post pedestrian shots of sunsets in Japan with the magenta and saturation sliders jammed all the way to the right.

It has nearly 200 paying subscribers. :signings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The positive comments...at least on Flickr you can chalk them up to old people having no taste, but these all look like they're from young people

Well the old people with no taste gotta come from somewhere, they used to be young people with no taste.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll have you know that ALL my pictures have authentic things in them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a vague idea to run 2 instagrams, one normal and one where I just process the poo poo out of the same photos and see what happened but it felt like a lot of work for the outcome to be confirming that the worse version would typically be more popular. Not sure I could bring myself to go as far as that lady, though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
To be fair to idiots on twitter, not a lot of people really "get" how photography works and what real photos look like compared to edited ones. A lot of people think photography just boils down to "happen to be in the right place at the right time, point phone / expensive-looking DSLR at cool looking thing and press button" and better photos are just the result of being at a better place at a better time.

Also while those are definitely hosed up beyond belief color-wise, at least they're evoking a specific feeling similar to a vaporwave drawing. I think it's fine to explore different moods with unrealistic colors, I mean poo poo that's kind of what black and white is. The first photo has garbage composition but the second one is at least passingly laid out imo. They're not amazing but they're at least better than the loving blurry wine photo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

qirex posted:

I had a vague idea to run 2 instagrams, one normal and one where I just process the poo poo out of the same photos and see what happened but it felt like a lot of work for the outcome to be confirming that the worse version would typically be more popular. Not sure I could bring myself to go as far as that lady, though.

Don't forget the one for the NO FILTERS NO EDITS IS THE ONLY TRUE PHOTOGRAPHY crowd.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

xzzy posted:

Don't forget the one for the NO FILTERS NO EDITS IS THE ONLY TRUE PHOTOGRAPHY crowd.

quote:

H'actually, all digital photos are processed because they are all software-determined representations of the raw data captured from the sensor. There is no such thing as an unedited or unfiltered photo.
:goonsay:

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 30, 2020

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Also while those are definitely hosed up beyond belief color-wise, at least they're evoking a specific feeling similar to a vaporwave drawing. I think it's fine to explore different moods with unrealistic colors, I mean poo poo that's kind of what black and white is. The first photo has garbage composition but the second one is at least passingly laid out imo. They're not amazing but they're at least better than the loving blurry wine photo.

Totally agree and that's how I thought it would go in the comments. Unfortunately the photographer seems content to bask in people's adulation for their slider tweaking.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/garyhe/status/1288859826878058497

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Dorkroom’s favourite social media savvy photographer, Eric Kim, has got some crazy deep thoughts he wants to share with you.

Shot

Chaser

DOWN IT! DOWN IT!

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 30, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I can't get past Zuckerberg in the Nice Guys category.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://au.news.yahoo.com/massively-creepy-photographers-text-message-project-divides-opinion-231902563.html

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

I do like how the story ends on a bit about google search autofilling "creepy", "not artists" and "annoying," after searching the word photographer. We all know a creepy annoying not artist photographer, so maybe it's not that strange, but they're not mutually exclusive and it kinda sucks to be in that boat unintentionally, guess that's why stereotypes suck in general.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's easier to be a creep with a camera that a creep with an easel and some watercolours

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ianskate posted:

We all know a creepy annoying not artist photographer

JFC, dude please don’t talk about me like I’m not even here!

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
best news possible:
my nikon got e-cancer

this will propel my insta career into the stratosphere

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

frumpykvetchbot posted:

best news possible:
my nikon got e-cancer

Vaporwave as gently caress..

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.

Red sky at night, sailors delight.

Magenta sky at day, sailors okay.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

And I thought I had issues with magenta casts

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

No one os safe from Ken “the Kraken” Rockwell.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

frumpykvetchbot posted:

best news possible:
my nikon got e-cancer

Go and shoot a bunch of 80s sports cars and palm trees.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

President Beep posted:

JFC, dude please don’t talk about me like I’m not even here!

Take all my luls for today please :D

On a related note, was perusing model mayhem and considering posting a casting call to set up some shoots, and decided against it after noticing that a big portion of the "photographers" are basically friend collecting creepers.

It's also just like Flicker with stupid "OMG BEST PHOTO EVAR UR OPRTFOLO IS A GIFT FROM GOD" comment spam on the worst of the worst. There was one guy in particular with mediocre at best professional model shots, had 5k friends, a portfolio of maybe 10 shots with 50+ comments on every one. Now I shouldn't be one to judge, because I'm not a professional, but it really made me question everything. Some of these people should never own cameras, or somehow convince people to pay them on top of it all.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 18, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
https://twitter.com/Apple/status/1293622943725973504?s=19

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

wtf why

https://twitter.com/LauryneWright/status/1297173999214981120

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Love a witty photo

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/simpbuyback/status/1302467627009236999?s=21

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it pays the bills I'll photograph anything you ask me to.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

as pregnancy announcements go that one owns and doesn't seem to have burned down half of California, so...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

If it pays the bills I'll photograph anything you ask me to.

How much for dignity?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Leave my Transformers fan fiction alone, yo!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Leave my Transformers fan fiction alone, yo!

Cocktimus Prime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Image editing explanations from the best photographer, referencing the very blank pages of a book that Trump's spokeswoman contained all their healthcare work.

https://twitter.com/SininStyle/status/1319000248082223105?s=20

Gotta keep an eye on that exposer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Image editing explanations from the best photographer, referencing the very blank pages of a book that Trump's spokeswoman contained all their healthcare work.

https://twitter.com/SininStyle/status/1319000248082223105?s=20

Gotta keep an eye on that exposer.

Like this can happen but that top page clearly isn't blown out, it's actually shaded and grayish. Usually when I've done pushed up exposure with paper you can still see the black of the text, it's just harder to read. But I don't usually adjust my exposer like the real professionals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want a camera that can selectively blow out highlights.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Those notoriously dark television sets.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That book is "blown out" much like the presidential diaper

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
From the cursed images thread:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CodfishCartographer posted:

From the cursed images thread:

Great. I'll need a pdf instead of a photo to use this to get those hot model chicks.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Jesus loving Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Y I K E S