Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If you can use eps or svg files, and have some window decal vinyl and feel like making a few bucks, lemme know. I need about 10 of these little stencils done at the moment, and that's gotta be cheaper than an entire new machine.

Whereabouts in the world are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna just be getting some stencils done for acid etching, so I don't really need much, no need for the top of the line machine, just need something that works with svg and eps files.

I know they do some cool stuff, but I'm honestly not talented enough to get the ones for the multi level scrapbook stuff and use it anywhere to its full capacity.

Rap - Down in La.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

One of my jobs bought a Brother ScanNCut(r)(tm) machine that I used to make stencils for PCB etching. Worked a treat for that. Took SVGs natively from a thumb drive, and the top-panel scanner/vectorizer was pretty solid. Setting everything in the bed with the film and all that was a little bit fiddly, but it worked well enough for the low-volume stuff we were doing.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
i blame the "it just works" Prusa crowd for removing all the DIY ability from the thread

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

insta posted:

i blame the "it just works" Prusa crowd for removing all the DIY ability from the thread

that's what they said about programming languages dumbing down programming from assembly

insta
Jan 28, 2009

gonadic io posted:

that's what they said about programming languages dumbing down programming from assembly

I was going to post a screenshot of some completely mundane app on my computer taking like 5GB of RAM but annoyingly everything is behaving itself right now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

insta posted:

I was going to post a screenshot of some completely mundane app on my computer taking like 5GB of RAM but annoyingly everything is behaving itself right now.

It's all chrome. All 950+ tabs.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

insta posted:

I didn't say they were wrong! But in general lowering barriers to entry is a good thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

It's all chrome. All 950+ tabs.

I think you mean all 4 tabs.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm messing around with larger nozzles. Though I've upped the temp and lowered the movement speed, I'm still getting inconsistent lines with PLA, as seen in this skirt.

I'm using a stock heater and assembly from an Ender 3 Pro with a 1mm nozzle. Do I just need to keep pushing more heat + less speed, or is 1mm out of my reach without something like a volcano?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Serenade posted:

I'm messing around with larger nozzles. Though I've upped the temp and lowered the movement speed, I'm still getting inconsistent lines with PLA, as seen in this skirt.

I'm using a stock heater and assembly from an Ender 3 Pro with a 1mm nozzle. Do I just need to keep pushing more heat + less speed, or is 1mm out of my reach without something like a volcano?

Did you redo your bed leveling/Z offset after swapping the nozzles out? I read somewhere a while back that you need to redo that when swapping nozzles (especially if going from a .04 nozzle to a 1.0 nozzle), and I find that I get similar results to your pic if I forget to do so. I think it's because nozzles aren't always the same uniform height or whatever, even if from the same batch by a manufacturer, and that there is enough of a difference in swapping for a larger nozzle to cause problems if you don't re-level the bed/redo the Z offset.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Serenade posted:

Always level the bed after swapping nozzles. Maybe lower your temp too, it looks like you’re getting bad stringing on the back there. What temp are you printing at?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Post leveling, no dice.

Normally I print this PLA at 200, but bumped it to 250 for this larger nozzle.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That is very clearly NOT leveled. You have no squish on the first layer whatsoever.

e: I guess it's not "leveling" per se but the first layer Z offset

BMan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 23, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Serenade posted:

Post leveling, no dice.

250 is way too hot for PLA, that’s why it’s oozing. I never print higher than 225, usually 200-215. You’re just liquifying it at 250.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Serenade posted:

Post leveling, no dice.

There are always variables, but the melting point remains the same. It'll still hit 200, if there's more material to heat up, it just takes longer to get there before it starts printing.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Well, yall are correct. I leveled my bed again, this time more carefully and that did help a lot. I forgot to take a picture of it on the bed.

Then I lowered the temp back to 200 and it worked much better. Sometimes the learning process is fairly roundabout and all I needed to change was the print speed going from a 0.4mm nozzle to 1mm nozzle.

There's still room for touch up like retraction, but I'm back to a baseline I can work with. Thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's still wrong. The traces on the bed should be touching one another. Did you adjust the trace widths in your slicer to accommodate for the larger nozzle? Try 1.1x the diameter, so in your case just 1.10mm

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A 1mm nozzle is absolutely enormous for a creality hotend. That's probably partially underextrusion as a result, which can't necessarily be totally solved with just slicer settings.

But, low print speed, line width and layer height set correctly and then a quick single wall cube to check flow rate/extrusion multiplier will always get you in the ball park.
Getting squish set correctly has to be sort of an initial guess until you're sure that you're actually extruding enough material to hit the settings you're using and then you can get the z height/bed level dialed perfectly.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 23, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

A 1mm nozzle is absolutely enormous for a creality hotend. That's probably partially underextrusion as a result, which can't necessarily be totally solved with just slicer settings.

E: buncha lazy phone math that ignored layer height but the main point is:

There’s a reason E3D makes a whole separate hot end for high volume nozzle printing.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 23, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I'm trying out some clear resin as opposed to grey. Was getting some issues with some parts not sticking to the bed, and surprisingly an entire portion just didn't print, didn't even stick to the vat either.

I ran the exposure test and saw this:

Which definitely startled me. What is this black gouge? There's no resin or anything stuck to where that line is. Is this just an entire section that won't print at all? And how did this happen? Honestly most of my prints have been coming out fine so it's strange to see this suddenly happen..

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
e: ^^^ gross

I have a 0.8mm nozzle printer to honk out big fat parts fast, and I found an extrusion width of 0.8mm worked best for me with a max layer height of 0.25mm. Rough research had led me to start WAY higher than that for both extrusion width and layer height.

It also actually works for me better at slower print speeds, but that might be because my hot end can only push so much heat.

Results I am sure vary a lot with different printers, since I know other people have success with much bigger numbers, but you might find it worth including more smaller numbers as part of your troubleshooting / fumbling around for best fat nozzle results.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I'm trying out some clear resin as opposed to grey. Was getting some issues with some parts not sticking to the bed, and surprisingly an entire portion just didn't print, didn't even stick to the vat either.

I ran the exposure test and saw this:

Which definitely startled me. What is this black gouge? There's no resin or anything stuck to where that line is. Is this just an entire section that won't print at all? And how did this happen? Honestly most of my prints have been coming out fine so it's strange to see this suddenly happen..

Broke LCD probably.

I have dark spots in mine that are just burnt out, but that looks like a crack in the LCD somehow. If it was burnt out you'd have circles and weird oval shapes, but nothing THAT defined.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Broke LCD probably.

I have dark spots in mine that are just burnt out, but that looks like a crack in the LCD somehow. If it was burnt out you'd have circles and weird oval shapes, but nothing THAT defined.

Ah drat. As I was doing some search that's what I was worried about. The printer's just over a month old now so I'll see if Anycubic'll send me another screen. Not sure if it's still under warranty or not. Did I cause this by lowering the build plate too much or something? I never intentionally lowered past home other than to level it.

There was one print that when finished I noticed had caused the build plate to angle quite a bit (the print supports themselves were angled funny but actually kind of ended up printing fine). Just spit balling here but maybe there was some cured resin left in the vat that was pressed into the screen causing it to crack and angling the build plate from the pressure?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's possible, but if you've always had an issue with that spot, it was probably hosed to begin with.

AFAIK there isn't a "stop" for the build plate on a photon (or any other resin printer atm) that stops it from lowering if it detects some resin on the plate. That's one of the reasons you gotta be REAL careful about if you are cleaning out the vat. It'll press that cured resin into the lens and not even think about trying to stop.

I'd just email photon and ask em what's up, and how to fix. Chances are they'll send you a new screen and a new LCD. If it happened 8 months into owning it, that's way different than just a month.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Dumb question while we're on the topic of nozzle switches....

The manufacturer for my printer provided pre-made slicer configs for their printer for both Cura and Simplify3D. The dual-extrusion profiles are pretty much set up for using the .5mm nozzle, and I think at some point I'd like to mess around with using smaller nozzles. They do have single-nozzle profiles for .4 thru .1 sizes... I guess pretty much my best approach for starting is to copy the settings over from the single nozzle profile into a new dual profile.

What are the most important things to look for? Obviously the nozzle size changes, but I'm assuming feed rate and move speed should matter. Obviously, re-level and fine tune for layer height as was discussed here. Anything else?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Well I can say for sure that black gouge wasn't there when I first tested the printer, or after I cleaned the resin the spilled through the busted FEP (man I've had some issues in just a month), it must have happened recently is all I can guess. I've only just kind of noticed that some prints have some odd quality issues and it's starting to line up with that specific area when I got back and look at where they're located on the build plate

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The good news is screens are fairly cheap at around $30 or so.

I'd check with support first and see if they can send a free one. If they can't, there's a ton of vids on how to do it on YouTube, and you can buy the screens on Amazon or eBay.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Dumb question while we're on the topic of nozzle switches....

The manufacturer for my printer provided pre-made slicer configs for their printer for both Cura and Simplify3D. The dual-extrusion profiles are pretty much set up for using the .5mm nozzle, and I think at some point I'd like to mess around with using smaller nozzles. They do have single-nozzle profiles for .4 thru .1 sizes... I guess pretty much my best approach for starting is to copy the settings over from the single nozzle profile into a new dual profile.

What are the most important things to look for? Obviously the nozzle size changes, but I'm assuming feed rate and move speed should matter. Obviously, re-level and fine tune for layer height as was discussed here. Anything else?

Smaller nozzles require +5C per 0.1mm smaller, and +0.15mm retraction per 0.1mm smaller. Drop your mm^3/s by 10% per 0.1mm for the same heatblock as well.

These are a good starting point.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

While waiting for Prusa to build and ship my printer I've been making random things in FreeCAD and slicing them in Prusa Slicer to get an idea of the workflow and how slicer settings affect stuff (as much as that can be done without actually getting to see output). One thing I'm wondering is, what would be the best settings to tweak to have things print as fast as possible, but retaining dimensional accuracy and strength. Fine detail and, idk, prettiness doesn't matter. Would it just be the draft profile in the slicer or are there additional things you can do with advanced settings to speed things up more? Should I order some larger nozzles ahead of time, and how much of a difference would that make for speed vs the 0.4 nozzle? In my use case the finest detail I would need is like, 3mm bolt/nut/countersunk screw holes.

tl;dr how do you optimize to crank out coarse functional parts quickly?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The profiles in PrusaSlicer are pretty much tuned for as fast as they can reasonably be at a given setting. Note that there are usually two different settings for a given layer thickness ("Speed" and "Quality/Detail").

"Draft" is pretty much the "I want to bang this out fast and don't care much about appearance, within reason".

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Am I too late for Cricut chat?

I bought a Cricut in December because I needed to cut some pretty precise vinyl decals for a pretty big corporate job. I didn’t need or ever want it to cut fabric or do plotting or anything, I just wanted a pretty good desktop vinyl cutter

I promptly returned it immediately after I completed that job because it was so dogshit at cutting vinyl, even the super expensive premium Cricut-branded vinyl that had built-in profiles, and even after I cranked cutting pressure, I was still having tons of trouble getting it to cut clean lines that actually cut, and I had to go back through with an exacto and redo my cuts before weeding, and gently caress paying for all the Cricut branded materials, and also you can get a large format vinyl cutter that’ll do like 2’ wide rolls for the same loving price

gently caress a Cricut. Pain in the rear end.

Cut paper real nice though.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The profiles in PrusaSlicer are pretty much tuned for as fast as they can reasonably be at a given setting. Note that there are usually two different settings for a given layer thickness ("Speed" and "Quality/Detail").

"Draft" is pretty much the "I want to bang this out fast and don't care much about appearance, within reason".

Eeeh, you say that but I’ve upped the speed to 150% repeatedly using the jog wheel with no other changes after the first layers went down and it’s printed fine.
You can also up your layer height to .35 on a .4mm nozzle and it’ll work.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Eeeh, you say that but I’ve upped the speed to 150% repeatedly using the jog wheel with no other changes after the first layers went down and it’s printed fine.
You can also up your layer height to .35 on a .4mm nozzle and it’ll work.

Reminder that the harder you push any given machine beyond certain settings (and this varies between designs), the sooner it is going to wear out.

I trust Prusa farther as to what is "good" to run the machine at for a given set of parameters than other goons (and, to be frank, most other 3d printer manufacturers).

EDIT: I mean, other than figuring out which print beds work best with which materials for adhesion, I've not had any print failures using the default Prusa Slicer settings for a given material. I've never been able to say that for any other 3d printer/slicer combination in all my time playing with extremely low-budget (and not so low-budget) printers since 2015.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 24, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Prusa runs an absolutely mental number of printers 24/7 cranking out parts for themselves, they eat their own dogfood to a staggering degree and use that to fine tune their poo poo, as well.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Upgrade/tinkering question: I bought some MGN12H linear rails to upgrade my coreXY's X & Y axis from those roller thingies that are so popular nowadays. I was wondering if the axis that the printhead rested on could just be supported by the linear rail itself or do y'all think that the linear rail needs support from the existing 2020 extrusion? The linear rail seems really thick and sturdy but I wanted to get some additional opinions. Also, if someone has done this before do you have a recommendation for an upgrade path from thingiverse? Like which design should I try to assimilate? I see the Voron design is really popular, any other ideas? Thanks!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

Prusa runs an absolutely mental number of printers 24/7 cranking out parts for themselves, they eat their own dogfood to a staggering degree and use that to fine tune their poo poo, as well.

Yeah after pulling the trigger on it from this thread's recommendation (had no idea what Prusa was before that) I spent some time learning about them and feel like I really made the right choice, they seem like a legit cool company in a field I thought was nothing but chinesium on the affordable end and $insane for anything reasonably good. The owner seems kinda megalomaniacal though, even steve jobs only included stickers of the company logo and not his own head, then you look at the factory tour videos and there are floor to ceiling josef prusa heads on the walls. If the printer is good though for $350 it can be shaped like his head for all I care

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

d0s posted:

The owner seems kinda megalomaniacal though, even steve jobs only included stickers of the company logo and not his own head, then you look at the factory tour videos and there are floor to ceiling josef prusa heads on the walls. If the printer is good though for $350 it can be shaped like his head for all I care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6LRdxxPfSw

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Why did he cancel the dildo print, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sockser posted:

Am I too late for Cricut chat?

I bought a Cricut in December because I needed to cut some pretty precise vinyl decals for a pretty big corporate job. I didn’t need or ever want it to cut fabric or do plotting or anything, I just wanted a pretty good desktop vinyl cutter

I promptly returned it immediately after I completed that job because it was so dogshit at cutting vinyl, even the super expensive premium Cricut-branded vinyl that had built-in profiles, and even after I cranked cutting pressure, I was still having tons of trouble getting it to cut clean lines that actually cut, and I had to go back through with an exacto and redo my cuts before weeding, and gently caress paying for all the Cricut branded materials, and also you can get a large format vinyl cutter that’ll do like 2’ wide rolls for the same loving price

gently caress a Cricut. Pain in the rear end.

Cut paper real nice though.

I am going to assert you did something wrong, even my friends nearly blind mom can use one and the weeding was nearly effortless in all my experiences.