Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Crosscode might be too hectic in terms of combat but it’s a very good game. You can always use assist mode to make the battles pretty chill and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What about Fire Emblem Three Houses?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Hm, Dragon Quest Builder looks cute. I'll check out Crosscode as well. (And yeah, I did play Fire Emblem 3H)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'd strongly recommend skipping to DQB2--the first isn't bad but the sequel has a bunch of major improvements.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you played .hack? GU is on steam and if you're hurting for a jrpg you can do worse, it has some neat stuff going on (mostly how weirdly detailed the setting is in all the parts that you're never asked to directly interact with. If you wanna go read a ton of fake forum posts about fake world events boy does .hack have you covered)

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hwurmp posted:

I'd strongly recommend skipping to DQB2--the first isn't bad but the sequel has a bunch of major improvements.

The second is so much better that I'd recommend the opposite; the first one is amazing but much harder to enjoy once you have played with a sane control scheme.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to build something, and I don't know what. Oxygen Not Included came close, but it turns out I get angry when the worker AI decides not to do what I specifically told it to do with the emergency priority button.

DQB2 isn't it, either - too simple - and neither is Factorio or Satisfactory. Already played out Astroneer. I had a few suggestions for other management games like ONI, but if they have indirect controls too I'm not playing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I want to build something, and I don't know what. Oxygen Not Included came close, but it turns out I get angry when the worker AI decides not to do what I specifically told it to do with the emergency priority button.

DQB2 isn't it, either - too simple - and neither is Factorio or Satisfactory. Already played out Astroneer. I had a few suggestions for other management games like ONI, but if they have indirect controls too I'm not playing

Subnautica

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Subnautica

Already beat that one, sorry :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

not to state the obvious but Minecraft can get as simple/complex as you like and is pretty hands on

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

HellOnEarth posted:

I'm trying to find a new RPG to fall down in for like 200 hours, but I'm tired of replaying the ones I have. I've replayed all the Final Fantasies, Ateliers, Disgaeas and Tales of games that are available on modern consoles and most of the big standalone titles like Octopath Traveler, etc. Basically I just want some kind of bullshit anime fantasy story in a turn-based or otherwise not-too-frantic battle system. Anime optional, it's just where my brain is at.

I haven't gotten into Trails in the Sky bc I bounced hard off the first one so I'm not sure how the rest of the series is. I'm also not that sure if Star Ocean is like, anything.

I've got a PS4 and a Switch, but no PC access.

Do you have a 3ds collecting dust? Shin Megami Tensei 4, SMT 4: Apocalypse, and SMT: Strange Journey Redux are all god-tier jrpgs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

not to state the obvious but Minecraft can get as simple/complex as you like and is pretty hands on

It HAS been a long time since I played a skyblock - probably half a decade now, christ. loving with java and mod platforms and all that again doesn't especially appeal though

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

It HAS been a long time since I played a skyblock - probably half a decade now, christ. loving with java and mod platforms and all that again doesn't especially appeal though

If you're just looking to build, Terraria is great for that, but I'm sure you've already played it. I personally really like seeing my base come together in Rimworld, although if you want to focus on building you may want to mod the storytellers so they don't bombard you with too many events. For vanilla Rimworld, Randy Random is my preferred storyteller because unlike the other two, his events don't really ramp up, so you're just getting random events the whole time instead of more and more difficult ones that scale with how long you've been playing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Ciaphas posted:

While I find the Twitch software to be a pile of poo poo, it does install modpacks fairly quickly and easily.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
There are other launchers you can use. GDLauncher is what I'm using right now, it's just missing a notification for when modpacks have an update.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

I'm trying to find a new RPG to fall down in for like 200 hours, but I'm tired of replaying the ones I have. I've replayed all the Final Fantasies, Ateliers, Disgaeas and Tales of games that are available on modern consoles and most of the big standalone titles like Octopath Traveler, etc. Basically I just want some kind of bullshit anime fantasy story in a turn-based or otherwise not-too-frantic battle system. Anime optional, it's just where my brain is at.

I haven't gotten into Trails in the Sky bc I bounced hard off the first one so I'm not sure how the rest of the series is. I'm also not that sure if Star Ocean is like, anything.

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive edition recently came out on twitch.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

Perhaps Divinity Original Sin 2?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm a completionist/collectionist at heart. I'm just wrapping up getting all trophies for Bloodstained and I really enjoyed the "endgame"--figuring out what I still needed to get, going out to farm for a while, going back to town, rinse and repeat. Basically checking things off a checklist.

Any recommendations for something that has that same sort of flow to it? Bonus points if there's a town or hub that I'm building up at the same time. Genre doesn't matter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ciaphas posted:

You may want to ask in the Management Megathread. I'm currently playing Anno 1800, Autonauts and Factory Town.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'm a completionist/collectionist at heart. I'm just wrapping up getting all trophies for Bloodstained and I really enjoyed the "endgame"--figuring out what I still needed to get, going out to farm for a while, going back to town, rinse and repeat. Basically checking things off a checklist.

Any recommendations for something that has that same sort of flow to it? Bonus points if there's a town or hub that I'm building up at the same time. Genre doesn't matter.

I think something like Enter the Gungeon could work for this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Space Engineers

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

OpenTTD has a plugin that will automatically generate goals for you to shoot for. Along the way, you're building systems n' stuff.

There's a real old mod for real old Startopia that would do the same, just generate goal after goal so there's something to do other than play in a sandbox.

Zombicite would do this also. You build on and defend a settlement while trying to resolve much bigger issues abroad in an insane clicky dungeon crawly world.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I loved playing Vanguard in Mass Effect 2. Ignore the cover-based combat, shotgun enemies in the face, when low on shields pull more enemies by Biotic Charging into them, repeat as neccessary. Occasionally duck into cover for a few seconds when you get the rythm wrong.

Is there any other game that captures this? Preferably third- or first-person shooters, but I suppose isometric action games could also do. I'd like to play this way from early on, though - loot grinders that let me do it after finding item X or games that only let me do it near "endgame" are a nonstarter.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
First thing that pops into mind is Doom 2016, and maybe Doom Eternal but I didn't play enough of that to know for sure.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

pun pundit posted:

I loved playing Vanguard in Mass Effect 2. Ignore the cover-based combat, shotgun enemies in the face, when low on shields pull more enemies by Biotic Charging into them, repeat as neccessary. Occasionally duck into cover for a few seconds when you get the rythm wrong.

Is there any other game that captures this? Preferably third- or first-person shooters, but I suppose isometric action games could also do. I'd like to play this way from early on, though - loot grinders that let me do it after finding item X or games that only let me do it near "endgame" are a nonstarter.

Vanquish

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pun pundit posted:

Doom Eternal after the first couple levels
Titanfall 2

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Doom Eternal has that limited ammo "we want you to use all of the guns" design going on. How easy is it to mod the shotgun ammo capacity way up?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pretty easy once you find the infinite ammo cheat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fencers in Earth Defense Force 5 can be pretty Vanguardy too, with their melee weapons that let you charge-jump across the map.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

pun pundit posted:

Superhot or Hotline Miami? The Bureau: XCOM Declassified has combat very reminiscent of Mass Effect 2, but it's more like playing as an Engineer than Vanguard.

ME2+3 had such fantastic combat, with such different and unique playstyles for each class, it's weird that more games didn't try to copy that.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Me and my girlfriend just played The Last Guardian and really loved it. Are there any other games where you build a relationship with a cool/cute creature? I really miss hanging out with Trico...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

pun pundit posted:

Bioshock Infinite has a power that's just straight-up the Vanguard charge (and a pretty good shotgun too) but it's not available from the start and also lol Bioshock Infinite.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

If Oxygen Not Included was close why not try their other game Don't Starve?

There is actually two versions of the game.

Single player "Don't starve" which has two major DLCs that teleport you to massively different worlds. All of which can be connected and allow for some massive base building.

Don't starve Together is actually a separate game with only one world but allows for multi-player and bigger raid style bosses. They currently update the DST every few weeks with them trying to finish a massive ocean content update, which unfortunately it pretty lacking right now. It is the more polished game due costant quality of life updates.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

pun pundit posted:

Superhot is a decent recommendation that somebody else mentioned. It's a little bit more like a puzzle game sometimes - you have to punch the guy on the left, grab the gun from the guy on the right, shoot the guy in the middle with it, then shoot the guy on the right, and if you do it out of order, you die and reload until you figure it out. But those moments are rare, most of the time you have a decent amount of options for how to solve the levels. And it definitely has the mix of shooting and melee combat that the Vanguard has. It's short but extremely replayable, a big part of it is replaying your favorite levels and finding more efficient ways to clear them.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Pathfinder Kingmaker was good until it got really bad so it got me hankering for kinda similar playing RPGs that ideally don't fall apart mechanically 2/3rds through. Pathfinder is just really bad at scaling to higher levels because so many mechanics like AC or targeting enemy saves feeling like all-in or don't bother at all, combined with some really, truly awful design decisions WRT the last parts of the game by the design team that made me lose all will to finish the game. It was quite fun with the turn-based mod for the first 50% or so though.

Anyway trouble is I've basically played a lot of common recommendations for similar games AKA Pillars of Eternity 1&2 (pretty good), Divinity:OS 1 & 2 (bleh), and old classics like the IE series and NWN 1/2 + expansions. Also Dragon Age I guess counts. Having played a good amount of RTS recently I'd prefer something turn-based over RTWP or similar at the moment, so I can ideally take it easy and tab away at my leisure too.

I'm not super into the post-apocalypse stuff so ideally nothing Fallout-like. Sci-fi is okay.

I also really like character progression-heavy RPGs with perks and traits and skills and powers and any system you can bolt on, but preferably without ludicrous stat numbers a la Disgaea. The shallower the character progression systems are the less interested I am, so any game that just automatically distributes some +stats on level up or whatever is not my jam.

E: Like for many people it doesn't matter but I just want to underscore that if the game gives you 40 hp at level one instead of 4000 that's like a free extra grade up in my rating system lol.

E2: I should mention as well I suppose, I've tried a few JRPGs such as FFX or the first Trails game, and none have caught my fancy gameplay-wise. I've liked turn-based SRPGs like Fire Emblems and JRPGs without traditional turn-based combat such as FFX-2, but I'm not really looking for either of those. So before recommending a JRPG keep that in mind I guess.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 28, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

Pathfinder Kingmaker was good until it got really bad so it got me hankering for kinda similar playing RPGs that ideally don't fall apart mechanically 2/3rds through. Pathfinder is just really bad at scaling to higher levels because so many mechanics like AC or targeting enemy saves feeling like all-in or don't bother at all, combined with some really, truly awful design decisions WRT the last parts of the game by the design team that made me lose all will to finish the game. It was quite fun with the turn-based mod for the first 50% or so though.

Anyway trouble is I've basically played a lot of common recommendations for similar games AKA Pillars of Eternity 1&2 (pretty good), Divinity:OS 1 & 2 (bleh), and old classics like the IE series and NWN 1/2 + expansions. Also Dragon Age I guess counts. Having played a good amount of RTS recently I'd prefer something turn-based over RTWP or similar at the moment, so I can ideally take it easy and tab away at my leisure too.

I'm not super into the post-apocalypse stuff so ideally nothing Fallout-like. Sci-fi is okay.

I also really like character progression-heavy RPGs with perks and traits and skills and powers and any system you can bolt on, but preferably without ludicrous stat numbers a la Disgaea. The shallower the character progression systems are the less interested I am, so any game that just automatically distributes some +stats on level up or whatever is not my jam.

E: Like for many people it doesn't matter but I just want to underscore that if the game gives you 40 hp at level one instead of 4000 that's like a free extra grade up in my rating system lol.

E2: I should mention as well I suppose, I've tried a few JRPGs such as FFX or the first Trails game, and none have caught my fancy gameplay-wise. I've liked turn-based SRPGs like Fire Emblems and JRPGs without traditional turn-based combat such as FFX-2, but I'm not really looking for either of those. So before recommending a JRPG keep that in mind I guess.

Shadowrun Collection is currently free on the Cursed Game Store

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thanks for the rec, unfortunately I've played that too I just didn't remeber it to add to my post! I'd say it was too 'light' for what I'm looking for though, I'd prefer something more meaty WRT character customization and gearing and the like. As I recall SR was mostly just 'pick one of two options' on level up once you were done with initial character creation, but it's been a while. And also since SR gameplay reminds me of it, I'm also not looking for games in the x-com mold (with overwatch actions and such).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My brain isn't working today so I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but the nice nerds in the Old School CRPG thread should be able to sort you out unless they're still talking about international archiving systems.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shwqa posted:

If Oxygen Not Included was close why not try their other game Don't Starve?

There is actually two versions of the game.

Single player "Don't starve" which has two major DLCs that teleport you to massively different worlds. All of which can be connected and allow for some massive base building.

Don't starve Together is actually a separate game with only one world but allows for multi-player and bigger raid style bosses. They currently update the DST every few weeks with them trying to finish a massive ocean content update, which unfortunately it pretty lacking right now. It is the more polished game due costant quality of life updates.

I don't have a coop partner; is the more-polished DST playable solo? I've never tried either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

I don't have a coop partner; is the more-polished DST playable solo? I've never tried either.

It's playable solo, but the boss monsters are tuned for multiple players so they will be quite a bit harder to beat on your own.