Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nitrousoxide posted:

You have any articles about this? I live in PA so if they are knocking greens off of ballots then I got to abide by what I said and refuse to vote for any Democrats even on local elections.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/08/14/democrats-aim-to-keep-greens-off-fall-statewide-ballot/amp/

This is the first one I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

the_steve posted:

Not sure if they succeeded, but I know they're trying to get Greens off the ballot in PA as well.

For a party that conventional wisdom says no one actually cares about, the Dems sure do put in a lot of work to keep people from even having the option to vote for them.

Of course then it just becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of bullshit.
"No one ever votes for the Greens!"

"Yeah, because the Dems keep blocking them from the ballots and making it literally impossible to do so."

"But no one votes for them anyways, so who cares?"

It's one of the big ironies of voting 'if voting did nothing they wouldn't try to steal your vote from you.'

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The greatest irony is the relentless cowardice of the Democratic party. They'll tell you to vote, but will rarely mention who to vote for.

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1261004586359422979

Like, wtf is this? It's such an obscene delusion to assume that if someone decides to vote, they're going to vote Democrat. But that is the world that the Democrats have built for themselves.

it's not a politicking thing, it's a civic duty thing. There's also no escaping voting as a duty. I say it periodically, but even if a revolution happened tomorrow, people would still be voting for elected town councils 2 weeks later same as before.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 23, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

No vote for Biden then, Rahm. You make being a NoJoe really easy.

If the Greens don't get on the ballot here in Virginia, I'll just leave the top of my ballot blank and vote for leftists downballot; I'm really excited to vote against Bob Good and Denver "Bigfoot" Riggleman.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's one of the big ironies of voting 'if voting did nothing they wouldn't try to steal your vote from you.'

it's not a politicking thing, it's a civic duty thing. There's also no escaping voting as a duty. I say it periodically, but even if a revolution happened tomorrow, people would still be voting for elected town councils 2 weeks later same as before.

Voting does nothing because they steal your vote from you. Sometimes it's blatant like this, but more often it is through more insidious methods like the electoral college or the two-party system.

Also, I really don't buy the "civic duty" thing. Obama is not telling people to vote to fulfill their civic duty, because that could mean they are voting for Trump. He's telling them to vote because he assumes that high turnouts is better for Democrats. In a more general sense, voting could theoretically be considered a civic duty in a functional democracy. However, our government is a disaster that doesn't represent the will of the governed and is specifically designed to funnel political power away from the public and into the hands of wealthy business owners. It's been that way since its inception.

Just to be clear, I'm fine if you feel strongly about having a duty to vote, I was raised that way. This will be the first presidential election where I won't be voting for a major candidate, and I've voted in nearly every midterm and local election as well (I even voted straight 'D' in 2010, when NOBODY else showed up). But please don't make an objective claim over what is someone else's responsibility to society, especially one that treats a lot of people like poo poo.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 24, 2020

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
He didnt specfy which party because he wants to be "the great unifier" or whatever his legacy is supposed to be

Just another useless platitude from Obummer

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also, I really don't buy the "civic duty" thing. Obama is obviously not telling people to vote to fulfill their civic duty, because that could mean they are voting for Trump. He's telling them to vote because he assumes that high turnouts is better for Democrats.

My interpretation is that he knows his audience (Dems/liberals), and is speaking to the subset of that audience that didn't bother voting in 2016 either because they thought Hillary had it in the bag, or they felt disillusioned/betrayed and couldn't bring themselves to vote for her. The result was four years of Trump.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

In a more general sense, voting could theoretically be considered a civic duty in a functional democracy. However, our government is a disaster that doesn't represent the will of the governed and is specifically designed to funnel political power away from the public and into the hands of wealthy business owners. It's been that way since its inception.

The US style of government has a lot of problems but calling it a disaster is a bit of a stretch. I don't know if you were born and raised in the US or are a foreigner looking in, but from my perspective as an immigrant-turned-citizen, the problems we have are dire, but not intractable or insolvable.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
:thunk:
https://twitter.com/workingclassli/status/1297621998193999875?s=21

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/WorkingClassLI/status/1297659580059725831

i have no idea which "page 3" this MAGA account is referring to, because page 3 of the PDF says nothing about what he is claiming

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

enraged_camel posted:

i have no idea which "page 3" this MAGA account is referring to, because page 3 of the PDF says nothing about what he is claiming

it’s on page 3 of the cross tabs because whoever made the release for yougov restarted the page numbering for them

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

enraged_camel posted:

:cheers:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I wonder if anyone is ready for a world where Donald Trump loses the popular vote by 10% and still wins the electoral college...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ah yeah I see now, thanks!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Who knew that giving war criminals speaking time at the DNC would put off independents.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm going to be honest, when I saw the dumpsterfire that was this convention, I thought it sucked but figured people would glomp onto it as Party Doing Big Thing Shiny Object Want That Party Now.

I was not expecting it to result in a neutral bounce, and certainly not a negative bounce. I'm really interested in seeing before/after enthusiasm because it seemed like a fair few people didnt take kindly to it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

drawing conclusions from individual polls is a path to madness, let's wait and see if this is repeated elsewhere

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It shouldn't be, though. There is nothing inherently virtuous or helpful about voting that doesn't apply to a million other things that are more meaningful. Giving $5 to someone in need probably does more good than 5-10 years of voting.

This is one of those things that people/Americans just sort of internalize as being an obvious truth.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

voting in a general election is an action that doesn't make sense at all for the individual because there's no earthly way a single vote is deciding anything, but it does give the people a bit of real power collectively, which is seen as a social good. this is why voting is a civic duty in the same vein as paying taxes, but as a different kind of thing than donating to charity or whatever

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

voting in a general election is an action that doesn't make sense at all for the individual because there's no earthly way a single vote is deciding anything, but it does give the people a bit of real power collectively, which is seen as a social good. this is why voting is a civic duty in the same vein as paying taxes, but as a different kind of thing than donating to charity or whatever

If voting gave the people power, then the actions of the elected would represent the desires of the electorate.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
big tent, everyone

https://twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/1297439514244214784

i mean, if colin powell is welcome than i don't see why this guy is not

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

I don't think it meaningfully gives power in our society, though. It essentially gives a bit of influence between a couple choices that are pre-decided by those with wealth/power, and when both those choices are harmful I don't think it makes sense to say there's a "civic duty" involved.

It's essentially the illusion of choice in the vast majority of cases (with the exception of the occasional local election where there's a meaningful difference and enough information to actually know about the candidates).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If voting gave the people power, then the actions of the elected would represent the desires of the electorate.

It's obviously on a spectrum. The US is not a direct democracy, and the system is very resistant to the whims of the electorate, which can come and go depending on the issues of the day. But in the grand scheme of things, the electorate tends to indeed get what it wants: universal suffrage, civil rights, environmental rights, gay marriage. It's just that those desires need to be expressed over a long period of time, and the appropriate pressures need to be exerted at the right times — everything from voting to rioting.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Voting gives power to the elite. The return of such power to the individual is only when the elites wish it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

It's obviously on a spectrum. The US is not a direct democracy, and the system is very resistant to the whims of the electorate, which can come and go depending on the issues of the day. But in the grand scheme of things, the electorate tends to indeed get what it wants: universal suffrage, civil rights, environmental rights, gay marriage. It's just that those desires need to be expressed over a long period of time, and the appropriate pressures need to be exerted at the right times — everything from voting to rioting.

That is a very, very cherry picked list especially given current events and climate change. It is especially suspect because none of those that were successful actually cost any money.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That is a very, very cherry picked list especially given current events and climate change. It is especially suspect because none of those that were successful actually cost any money.

I just listed some of the major leaps forward the USA has made over the past century that came to my mind as I was typing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I just listed some of the major leaps forward the USA has made over the past century that came to my mind as I was typing.

I mean, that's fair.

My larger point is that our government functions to serve and protect the interests of wealthy business owners like the men who founded it. Therefore, the idea that participation in that system is some sort of 'civic duty' is propaganda to legitimize it. I don't hate anyone for believing otherwise, I'm just tired of being shamed into voting. It's exhausting, tone deaf, and ineffective.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

In what way were Civil Rights what the electorate wanted? When Truman integrated the arm forces the majority of the country opposed it. 60% of Americans thought MLK and the million dollar March was going to do nothing but cause trouble. I think other things were viewed more favorably like general support for the Selma protests but it's hardly consistent.

I think the history of social progress is more of a mixed bag, gay marriage for example came on the back of a popular mandate but other bits of progress have not, we only got the Civil Rights act because LBJ thought the whole country might burn to the ground. it's a mixed bag and saying the electorate gets what it wants is a pretty big generalization.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 24, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not that it means a lot, but the GOP convention is not going to have an actual platform this year

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1297685292032417792

rko
Jul 12, 2017
e: I mean why bother having a platform? The Republicans have the country they want. “Keep America Great” is the whole platform.

V. Illych L. posted:

drawing conclusions from individual polls is a path to madness, let's wait and see if this is repeated elsewhere

I dunno V., it kind of feels like madness would be a nice relief from having to watch all of this poo poo while being in your right mind.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not that it means a lot, but the GOP convention is not going to have an actual platform this year

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1297685292032417792

At least they're honest about it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

rko posted:

I dunno V., it kind of feels like madness would be a nice relief from having to watch all of this poo poo while being in your right mind.
As someone who's been committed more than once, nah, it suck as well.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

enraged_camel posted:

Lol the electorate barely has even any of those rights anymore at this point. Votes are suppressed, black people are shot in the street for any or no reason and then the cop walks, and the environment is so badly raped its an open question whether humanity can survive to 2100. Gay marriage has at least taken some progress but dems don't particularly care about LGBT issues other than lip service and the religious right is working overtime to roll those back too.

Not to mention stuff like the Green New Deal, Medicare for All, gun control, etc etc that poll extremely well with the public that have no chance in hell of passing under our current system of government

Also, the only reason stuff like the Civil Rights Act passed was not due to some grand change of heart within the government, it was so the soviets couldn't use our own atrocious civil rights record against us in the Cold War. And even then, after it was passed the intelligence community worked overtime via COINTELPRO to discredit or eliminate any civil rights leader afterwards

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 24, 2020

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

How is the most progressive person running for president ever going to implement his policies without raising taxes on people making 400,000 and under. Sounds to me like he’s full of poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Terror Sweat posted:

How is the most progressive person running for president ever going to implement his policies without raising taxes on people making 400,000 and under. Sounds to me like he’s full of poo poo
Spoilers: He's not going to do much of any of that

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Terror Sweat posted:

His key policies are: "Nothing will fundamentally change" and "I am not the rude orange man."
Neither of those are very costly to implement.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

the_steve posted:

His key policies are: "Nothing will fundamentally change" and "I am not the rude orange man."
Neither of those are very costly to implement.

One of them is extremely costly, it's just not going to be paid for with taxes.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

RottenK posted:

big tent, everyone

He's really taking the 'the parties switched' thing pretty hardcore

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RottenK posted:

big tent, everyone

Is it not pretty obvious that his whole schtick is "hehe im a nazi, i plan to vote for biden, who therefore is also a nazi"?

Why are you people falling for this poo poo?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There is nothing that Biden will do as president that Spencer would find particularly objectionable.

That said, I also don't think it matters because sometimes you get supported by awful people. So long as they don't hire him to do outreach or give him a speaking role at a campaign appearance I find myself hard-pressed to care who Spencer is voting for or what he's doing in general. They already platformed a bunch of misogynists, racists and outright war criminals at their convention so I don't see why Spencer saying he's voting for Joe "I love Kasich more than unions" Biden would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

enraged_camel posted:

Is it not pretty obvious that his whole schtick is "hehe im a nazi, i plan to vote for biden, who therefore is also a nazi"?

I was under the impression that the entire reason people supported Biden in the primary was his ability to win over Republicans. Why are people who now support him in the general so opposed to accepting evidence that he does have that ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

No one is "falling for" anything. People posting about this as damning of Biden did not just realize that Biden was bad because of Spencer's tweet, they already knew that Biden is a deeply evil man and the Neo-Nazi having more faith in him than Trump just supports that. Spencer's reasoning is something that's already been said in this thread and other places even: Trump, despite his actively racist policies and intentions, is incompetent and has ignited a major backlash, whereas under Biden suppression of minority groups, leftists, and others the government is hostile to would go back to how it was under Obama, much more effective and without nearly as much public outcry. Spencer just sees this as a good thing because he is an evil racist, albeit not the same particular type of evil racist as Joe Biden (or even Donald Trump; there's surprising diversity among those who view it as a dirty word).

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There is nothing that Biden will do as president that Spencer would find particularly objectionable.

That said, I also don't think it matters because sometimes you get supported by awful people. So long as they don't hire him to do outreach or give him a speaking role at a campaign appearance I find myself hard-pressed to care who Spencer is voting for or what he's doing in general. They already platformed a bunch of misogynists, racists and outright war criminals at their convention so I don't see why Spencer saying he's voting for Joe "I love Kasich more than unions" Biden would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

I think it's more... Not "gloating" exactly, so much as, "See? What did we tell you?" Though Spencer's being an open Nazi might make his "endorsement" affect some people more than that of people like Kasich and Powell, even if the latter have far more deaths to their names; "being a literal Nazi" is still generally regarded as a bad thing, despite efforts by both the right and Mother Jones.