Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

So I'm not sure I fully understand it yet, but this Summer "Sale" seems like a complete crock of poo poo to me.

Welcome to Lesta 2020.

E: for those who don't know, this summer sale doesn't actually seem to have any ships or anything else on sale. Instead you can buy summer sale tokens, which you can use to buy RNG boxes which may contain premium ships. The amount of tokens you can earn in-game seems to be pitifully low and not actually enough to unlock anything.

So it really is peak Lesta.

Reddit posted:

Premium Ships

Vampire, Tier 3 Commonwealth Destroyer. Price = 75 tokens.

Konig Albert, Tier 3 German Battleship. Price = 75 tokens.

Total: 150 tokens

Premium Ship Containers

Premium Tier 8 container. 3 Containers. Price = 180 tokens per container.

Premium Tier 7 container. 3 Containers. Price = 130 tokens per container.

Premium Tier 6 container. 3 Containers. Price = 90 tokens per container.

Premium Tier 5 container. 3 Containers. Price = 65 tokens per container.

Black Friday 2019 premium container. 5 Containers. Price = 20 tokens per container.

Black Friday 2018 premium container. 5 Containers. Price = 20 tokens per container.

Air Supply premium container. 5 Containers. Price = 20 tokens per container.

Lunar New Year premium container. 5 Containers. Price = 12 tokens per container.

Halloween 2018 premium container. 5 Containers. Price = 12 tokens per container.

Total: 1,815 tokens

Gift Containers

Santa's Big Gift Container. 5 Containers. Price = 12 tokens per container.

Gift Container. 5 Containers. Price = 5 tokens per container.

Total: 85 tokens

Camouflages (Permanent and Temporary)

Atlanta "Blazing Tropics" Camouflage. Permanent. Price = 65 tokens

Summer Camouflage. Temporary. Price = 1 token for 1 camouflage.

Overall total = 2,115 Tokens (plus however many temporary camouflages)

This is what you can earn from the mission chain. They have to be completed in order. The chain can only be completed once, within the next 7 days.

7 Citadel hits = 2 tokens

400 Main Battery hits = 2 tokens

12 Fire's started or Torpedo hits = 2 tokens

12 Achievements = 2 tokens

80,000 spotting damage = 2 tokens

Mission chain completed = 5 tokens

Total = 15 tokens

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah it's ghastly and I was pumped to give them some money for actual stuff. There is no way I am buying tokens to buy loot boxes (thats like next level meta-lootboxing) so I will end up with 15 tokens from the mission chain and therefore have these options:

Lunar New Year premium container. 5 Containers. Price = 12 tokens per container.
Halloween 2018 premium container. 5 Containers. Price = 12 tokens per container.
Santa's Big Gift Container. 5 Containers. Price = 12 tokens per container.
Gift Container. 5 Containers. Price = 5 tokens per container.

Can anyone say which of these seem best and what they are likely to contain? Perhaps 3xGift Container would be the best use of 15 tokens?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here are all the containers and their contents:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Unpopular opinon: the Iowa (and Missouri) are the most overrated ships in WoWS. I would go so far as to say that the only T9 BB that's even in the conversation for being worse than them is the FdeG. Current Izumo is much superior. I just cannot get a good loving game in my Missouri.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Missouri is good. It's extremely accurate, has a good (if not amazing) heal and has radar. It's a very solid T9 battleship.

The trouble is many of the ships she faces are far far far far better than "very solid" due to powercreep.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

kaesarsosei posted:

Unpopular opinon: the Iowa (and Missouri) are the most overrated ships in WoWS. I would go so far as to say that the only T9 BB that's even in the conversation for being worse than them is the FdeG. Current Izumo is much superior. I just cannot get a good loving game in my Missouri.

This would be unpopular if you’d said ‘Georgia’ but I don’t think anyone rates the Iowa very highly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they have to add more ways to earn summer tokens right

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they have to add more ways to earn summer tokens right

They have a very convenient way, just buy some overpriced digital poo poo from their store and you get FREE BONUS TOKENS!!!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone got the Stalingrad? Initially I thought it was another Moskva/Petro but now I can see it is quite different. I guess the closest comparison is the Alaska? Just wonder which of Stalingrad or Bourgogne I should save up my steel for. Pretty sure I don't want the Shikishima or Somers.

I'm planning to get Kuznetsov so it will be a long time if ever before I can get a coal ship.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

kaesarsosei posted:

Has anyone got the Stalingrad? Initially I thought it was another Moskva/Petro but now I can see it is quite different. I guess the closest comparison is the Alaska? Just wonder which of Stalingrad or Bourgogne I should save up my steel for. Pretty sure I don't want the Shikishima or Somers.

I'm planning to get Kuznetsov so it will be a long time if ever before I can get a coal ship.

Stalingrad is stunningly good in random games, although with the amount of AP dive bombers flying around, it gets dunked a lot more often than it used to.

As someone that appreciates accuracy over almost everything else though, it's a perfect ship. It combines the best possible characteristics of every special AP feature: Ultra high pen, Ultra fast no drag shells, improved pen angles, semi short fuse AP to let you delete those pesky smolensks at will, and, the kicker, a monstrously good 2.65 sigma, making it exceptionally consistent. No other ship in the game combines all these gun features in to one platform.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

kaesarsosei posted:

It's more like a Moskva than an Alaska. You mostly try to shoot AP at dumb pubbies broadsiding you, but unlike the Petro the HE is somewhat usable for bow in ships and you can hit more than one shell at 16 km. If you play it as aggressively as you can an Alaska you usually die because you have no concealment and a huge poorly armored citadel.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Having one captain who would work on the Moskva, Petro (currently nearly done with the Talinn) and also Stalingrad sounds tempting...especially if it was Kuznetsov who it seems would suit those ships well. Anyway, I have a lot of steel to get before I need to decide. How long does it typically take to earn, say, 1k steel?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You basically use a Battleship spec captain on Stalingrad.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I just rolled up to Akizuki and have a 15 point Yamamoto captain for her. What's the good set of commander skills I want for this? AFT sounds good for the really wicked +20% range boost (and I have the gunner practice to hit BBs out at that range), but I'm not sure about going IFHE for raw pens or if I should take Concealment Expert for sneak. Can I make do without Concealment for a while to get better firepower?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

kaesarsosei posted:

Having one captain who would work on the Moskva, Petro (currently nearly done with the Talinn) and also Stalingrad sounds tempting...especially if it was Kuznetsov who it seems would suit those ships well. Anyway, I have a lot of steel to get before I need to decide. How long does it typically take to earn, say, 1k steel?

The best builds for Kuznetsov for the Kremlin also are the best builds for Moskva and Stalingrad, especially since Stalingrad has the longer duration fires and can use fire prevention more than Petro does.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Got a Black Friday box for shits and grins and pulled an Alaska B, so I think I got pretty lucky.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fearless posted:

Got a Black Friday box for shits and grins and pulled an Alaska B, so I think I got pretty lucky.

Nice.

I cant actually open the Armory on the website, just gives me a permanent loading thing each time I try it.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Are German battleships any good, or are they noob traps? I really like having monster secondaries, and I'm not good at sniping, so they look custom-made for me.

Or should I learn2shoot and play some other BB line?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TwoQuestions posted:

Are German battleships any good, or are they noob traps? I really like having monster secondaries, and I'm not good at sniping, so they look custom-made for me.

Basically, yes. They are all of that. I don't think the ships are all that great, they really suffer from being outpaced by their premium ships, but they can work.
I'm not sure the line is really worth it now, even if it did get a nice bump to gun accuracy, they are still just not quite there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TwoQuestions posted:

If you want a great secondary bb, there's Massachusetts or Georgia. If you want tanky and good at short range, go for the Russians. The Germans are just frustrating.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Plus German BBs are humongous AP bomb landing pads with meh AA even on a full secondary build. My first 6 games in the GK all had AP bomber carriers and they made a beeline to me and focused me down hard. AP bomb damage can't be healed, so when every game you lose 50k health to AP bombs....

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ranked sprint this evening has consisted heavily of people in cruisers and Iowas going broadside to my Georgia at 11km or less. It's been entertaining.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

well if you have a black it completely breaks the ranked sprint format

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011
The sad thing about Ranked Sprint is that it's over so quickly. I just finished in 16 games, mostly playing Pommern. Lost only two games, due to braindead teammates, but was able to carry everything else pretty consistently. A full Secondary spec Pommern is a beast in a format with so few ships.

I really like to low player count Sprints. Really helps you feel the impact of your own good (or bad) play in the game.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Good lord does the Massachusetts really cost $50 in ingame currency? ...Or am I missing something?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Played one game in my Alaska in ranked spring to start; nuked their kitakaze and Buffalo before my Fletcher and Musashi to even get a shot off, then did half the damage to their Missouri before the Musashi poo poo on it to end the game in like four minutes.

Alaska is the cruiser pick, no doubt. Double rudder 4lyfe.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
When you try to carry loving hard but the 3 remaining battleships on your team don't look at their map and lemming to a cap we already have instead of the cap the enemy are clearly going to.

Weekends.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TwoQuestions posted:

Good lord does the Massachusetts really cost $50 in ingame currency? ...Or am I missing something?

Not missing anything, that's what the top tier premiums cost. The T9 ones, when they're even for sale for straight $$, are usually 70 I think. Mass is probably the only one I'd pay straight up for like that.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

When you try to carry loving hard but the 3 remaining battleships on your team don't look at their map and lemming to a cap we already have instead of the cap the enemy are clearly going to.

Weekends.

Second rank sprint game. They have an Alaska, an Ibuki, and a Friesland. We have 2 Alaskas and a Kitakaze.

Easy mode, right?

Our Kitakaze is afk. Our other Alaska fucks off to the map edge to snipe. I brawl in the cap but get no support, they cap out and win on points.

Fin.

Next game. Pommer/Alaska/Kitakaze vs. Friesland/Roon/Musashi.

Pommern sits still out of cap, snipes at bow-in Musashi ignoring the roon and Friesland. Kita gets spotted sitting still and loses DPM battle to Friesland. I nuke Roon, then shave 50k health off the Musashi but get overmatched hard, down to 20k. Pommer is now at 40k health and sails full broadside at 4km trying to get a good torp shot off. I beg him to just ram the Musashi so I can kill the 1k hp Friesland I hit hard earlier but he refuses. Torps miss, he dies never firing his main guns. I do another 50k damage to the Musashi, killing him but his back turrets get one shot off and citadel me through the nose.

Fin.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 22, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DonkeyHotay posted:

well if you have a black it completely breaks the ranked sprint format

Found out last night that a Black and Jutland hunter-killer duo is loving game breaking.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo does the Pommern feel like EZMODE for this ranked sprint.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Aside from 300 Doubloons, are there any other ways to acquire Port Slots that I am overlooking?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

Aside from 300 Doubloons, are there any other ways to acquire Port Slots that I am overlooking?

From crates, from completing missions, I think I have 60 empty slots or something stupid

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Sell the T1 starter ships from the nations you aren’t playing yet.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have a lot of extra ships because of the upcoming anniversay event. As soon as I get the first win bonus for those I can probably sell about 10 ships but I will probably unlock at least 3 more before then and would like to keep existing ships in port for the event. Is the event next week (September)?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I don't think they have announced anything, but probably next week or the one after.

Port slots are fairly often on sale for half off, you should never buy em for 300. Note that while port slots can drop from most daily container types, they do NOT drop from "More Resources", which is what post people focus on.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
One thing I have very quickly learned from this rank sprint - going in solo and being teamed with a Div is by no means a guarantee they have any loving clue what they are doing. Also an Ibuki is an instant loss.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
It doesn’t matter what your team brings when you are in the almighty Donkey!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've had to grind through the Donskoi twice - once for the original Moskva and once recently for the Netsky. I would say the Donskoi is probably the second best T9 tech-tree cruiser, behind only the Roon. Its biggest problem, especially now, is the concealment. There's a lot of T8-10 BBs that have lower concealment than it. I find it hard to use the radar for that reason.

I haven't played the Riga, Seattle, Drake or Buffalo yet admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

kaesarsosei posted:

I've had to grind through the Donskoi twice - once for the original Moskva and once recently for the Netsky. I would say the Donskoi is probably the second best T9 tech-tree cruiser, behind only the Roon. Its biggest problem, especially now, is the concealment. There's a lot of T8-10 BBs that have lower concealment than it. I find it hard to use the radar for that reason.

I haven't played the Riga, Seattle, Drake or Buffalo yet admittedly.

Seattle is an overgrown Cleveland (it even has the same guns) and has to be played carefully (mainly by using islands for cover) due to its lack of meaningful armor. I ground through it for the Worcester and didn't mind it too much. Buffalo hits hard by virtue of its 12x 8" guns, but again has to be handled carefully due to its size and lack of armor. I found I enjoyed both quite a bit more by upgrading the rudder shift and acceleration times. Donskoi was something I could never really get my head around properly and I really hated that grind on the way to the Moskva. I found the concealment and the rudder shift to be both serious detriments... the latter felt like it made juking shots at range much harder. On the plus side, I did appreciate how fast its shells travelled and it felt like I didn't have to give distant targets too much lead.