Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah there's something up with the Japanese voice licensing for God Eater as the first two games lack it (they're also the ones using Denuvo so I suspect a super protective director or something.) I've heard clips of an "undub" mod and the compression seems to be just as bad there. Guess they didn't keep any higher quality recordings around.

And, not being rude, but are there ANY dubs you like? God Eater's is certainly in the mediocre category at best but I've never seen you praise a dub.

EDIT: \/ Ghost Stories is cheating

I pretty much only play games with dubs so I could be here all day but gently caress it.

I'm playing SMTIV Apocalypse right now and its dub is phenomenal. I hope they bring back all the Divine Powers for V and keep their voices.

IVA also has unbelievably great gameplay. Replaying Nocturne and then IVA shows you how making a good battle system and then improving on it is the path to a truly great battle system. Press Turn had all sorts of problems but they've ironed them out and made one of the best battle systems ever in IVA. Contrast with, say, Final Fantasy which is so attached to constantly churning out new half-assed battle systems hat it will never be able to compete with other series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Blatantly incorrect, Blood Arts are way cooler than Burst Arts, and GE3 does not have an on-demand anime powerup button complete with your own ridiculous themesong, which loses it very many points in comparison. I mean the plot is hilariously awful but it's not like I play any hunting genre for the plot. Apparently Soul Sacrifice has a good one but I was never fooled into buying a Vita so I have no idea.

Well by that metric the PSP White Knight Chronicles with it's entire team Toku power up button complete with music should be an awesome game

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I wish it was. I really wish it was. I also wish it ran at more than like 3 frames per second.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
GE3 let's me pair up with 7 other random animes and lets me outscore them on the anime beatdown chart so that's a plus.

tbh though GE3 is more fun to actually play but to compensate the actual enemies seem way more badly put together. they have some aggressive hitboxes you can't joke out of anymore and it makes multiple enemy fights a huge ordeal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wish it was. I really wish it was. I also wish it ran at more than like 3 frames per second.

The train was a cool base at least

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GE 2 has broken me

I dont like videogames anymore

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I warned you

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Gonna play GE 2 and break myself of the curse of videogames.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What does GE stand for?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Clarste posted:

What does GE stand for?

God Eater

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I knew about God Eater yet for some reason that abbreviation was just a complete blind spot for me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I knew about God Eater yet for some reason that abbreviation was just a complete blind spot for me.

My brain constantly tried to replace GE with GW and I was constantly fighting it because I couldn't believe so many people would typo "Gears of War". :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And here I thought General Electric had made an RPG I didn't know about.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what is it with japanese creators and making GBS threads on their games plots post release

dalton and chrono cross
the ffx novel
the ffxv novel

more...?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh no what happened in the ffxv novel

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Relin posted:

what is it with japanese creators and making GBS threads on their games plots post release

dalton and chrono cross
the ffx novel
the ffxv novel

more...?

3 video games........

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean its not a videogame or a Japanese thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

oh no what happened in the ffxv novel

apparently tidus get blown up by a bomb disguised as a blitzball

I wouldn't have believed it but someone I trust confirmed it.

Edit: poo poo FFX spoiler

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 24, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

That's 10, not 15.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My bad dude I can't read clearly

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gaius Marius posted:

rip

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Barudak posted:

I mean its not a videogame or a Japanese thing
i've never heard of this happening with a western game

it'd be like the witcher (books) writer penning a sequel to the games where geralt gets his dick chopped off, or something

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Poor Tidus, thought of sex and died.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Relin posted:

dalton and chrono cross
the ffx novel
the ffxv novel

more...?

It's not just video games. There's a fairly prolific anime franchise called Eureka Seven. Without going into huge detail, the original show has pretty powerful themes about coming to understand and love those who are different than you; then every sequel it ever got is about how trying to love and understand those who are different you ultimately ends in tragedy and disaster.

It's also not a Japanese phenomenon, as anyone who has ever been attached to a western comic book character can eagerly attest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Relin posted:

it'd be like the witcher (books) writer penning a sequel to the games where geralt gets his dick chopped off, or something

The games are actually making GBS threads on the books plot

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't give the Witcher's author any ideas, apparently he hates the games.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Relin posted:

The games are a sequel to a novel where Geralt gets ganked with a pitchfork by a random peasant at the end for no reason.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Libluini posted:

Yeah, don't give the Witcher's author any ideas, apparently he hates the games.

Maybe he used to, but I'm pretty sure that's outdated information now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Relin posted:

I think he means more that the whole “author retroactively makes one of their works worse unless you ignore the sequel/prequel thing” is such a broad thing that focusing on any one form of media is silly. Like, Star Wars explaining the events that led up to Episode IV which turned out to be significantly less cool than what anyone could have imagined, which is probably why they started at 4...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Maybe he used to, but I'm pretty sure that's outdated information now.

I bet a large part of it was because of the dispute over royalty payments, which has since been resolved.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think a dick-chop-offing could be a really incredible and crucial moment of growth for Geralt's character

like maybe if Lara Croft got cancer from all the horrible spikes she's constantly falling on

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

I think a dick-chop-offing could be a really incredible and crucial moment of growth for Geralt's character

like maybe if Lara Croft got cancer from all the horrible spikes she's constantly falling on

Lara can't get cancer, she's clearly a Terminator

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Relin posted:

if it makes the games less horny then i'm all for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember the gears of war novels that are almost exclusively about sex slave camps

also the halo novels that explain that master chief was kidnapped by the army when he was 5 and replaced with a clone of himself that died within 2 years so that his parents wouldnt know where hed gone, and he was made master chief because he won capture the flag games with other 5 year olds a bunch

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

also more racing games should be about taking your pregnant wife to ED

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine a plot in which yennefer got breast cancer

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Endorph posted:

remember the gears of war novels that are almost exclusively about sex slave camps

also the halo novels that explain that master chief was kidnapped by the army when he was 5 and replaced with a clone of himself that died within 2 years so that his parents wouldnt know where hed gone, and he was made master chief because he won capture the flag games with other 5 year olds a bunch

they make kids a master chef because they won a cooking show against other 5 year olds so it tracks

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
master cheif... kid nation contestant

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

Being Master Chief actually came a lot later, but John getting to be what was essentially Top Spartan did at least make internal sense; He was winning CTF exercises and the like against other Spartans, and any time any of them went up against conventional soldiers during training they utterly destroyed the conventional soldiers. Literally, in some hand-to-hand combat exercise accidents. I fully agree extended Halo lore is dumb as fuuuck generally-speaking though.

If you want some real dumb lore out of Halo; the reason Noble Team in Halo Reach are little psychologically off-kilter (aggressive, obsessive, that kind of thing) compared to the ever-calm Spartan-2's is because the Spartan-3's are cheap knockoffs and their history is even more hosed up than the Spartan-2's. ONI didn't want Dr Halsey holding all the keys to producing more Spartans, so they cribbed her notes and tried to create their own with the same basic techniques, only with a less-methodical training and genetic-enhancement regiment, with the intent that they'd be disposable child super-soldiers. The theory being that the ones that don't immediately get killed by Covenant would train the next lot, and those survivors train the next, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Why did I wait so long to Disco Elysium? I was only able to play for an hour or so but it's already so loving great. I also finished up the pillar section in FF7R which was also great in a totally different way. The boss battles in this game are just something else.