Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I do have a couple of wooden practice katanas for some martial arts training, but we don't use them by swinging them around... just to test principles. Just as often we use broomsticks or rulers for the totally non-weeb stuff I'm doing.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A good sword will pay for itself in tang

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm trying to figure out where these people live that they think a stupid expensive sword is the best option for self defense instead of like a $200 gun.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm trying to figure out where these people live that they think a stupid expensive sword is the best option for self defense instead of like a $200 gun.

They live under the tyranny of the sign that says "all firearms purchases require proof of age and background check."

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Any home invader can use your own gun against you, but only a master of the blade could raise your sword. And they would be too honorable for that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

So what we have here is a 2 year lease on a Mclaren Senna that's been gathering dust in some showroom for who knows how long for 10,000 a month and half a million down.

After 24 months you spent 750k and are left with nothing.
This is CAD but it doesn't matter.

Who is doing this?

Crosspost, everybody!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

SpartanIvy posted:

This is probably actually true here (canada)... if by "best option" you mean "most lethal"

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A good sword will pay for itself in tang

Boooooo

I can't decide if I love or hate this pun

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
GGGC this you? cops take your gloves?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GGGC this you? cops take your gloves?

This image was originally posted with the caption "how you know you made it"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
We couldn't afford swords growing up, but boy did we invest in ninja throwing stars and butterfly knives from the flea market down the street.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DarkHorse posted:

This image was originally posted with the caption "how you know you made it"

you are thinking of a guy with two knives

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Wafer posted:

We couldn't afford swords growing up, but boy did we invest in ninja throwing stars and butterfly knives from the flea market down the street.

Hucking flea market throwing stars at a tree, fridge box, or old door is one of the simple pleasures of youth.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Bad With Money and Bad With Crime.

quote:

2019 Dodge Charger @27% APR. Forged signature by husband.

My soon to be ex husband financed a 2019 Dodge Charger at 27.69% APR at a Boise dealership listing me as the primary buyer and himself as a co signer. Thing is I never even stepped foot into the dealership. He forged my signature and listed himself for all contact information so I wouldn’t be notified. Both husband and salesman denied that I had any ownership to the vehicle. Both claimed I was only listed as a reference. 2 weeks later finance company wants to talk to me so I proceed to look for vehicle paperwork. Sure enough my actual signature was forged onto one document and the rest are e-signatures.

quote:

Workplace is requiring we publicize social security numbers

My workplace is enacting a policy where they are requiring employees to permanently mark the last 4 digits of our social security number onto our personal tools. The reason the company wants to enact this policy is for tool accountability, if a tool gets lost it can end up in a dangerous spot and this policy would ensure the tools gets back to its rightful owner and that owner could be disciplined for letting their tool get there. I agree that accountability is important and I’m willing to permanently mark my tools, just not with my SSN.

Our tools sit out in the open every day so the SSN would be exposed to many people walking through the facility, including temporary workers (contractors not directly employed through the company) and non-employees (visitors). It’s very common practice between the employees to share tools as well. In addition to this there will be an employee conducting random checks on our tools to ensure our SSN is on them and that they’re all accounted for, further increasing the number of people who see it.

My question is this: Is it legal for a company to require their employees to expose their SSN like this? The company alleges that this is industry standard, however many employees deny this as this is the first place they’ve worked at that requires our SSN to be on the tools. There are other ways we can identify our tools such as our employee number and initials so it seems dangerous and reckless to expose the employees to such a high risk of identity theft.

The workplace is located in Delaware, however the company’s main headquarters is located in France.

quote:

My grandmother has illegal things in her home I don’t know how to handle them when she dies

Can you guess what kind of contraband Grandma has?

Hint:

quote:

I would love to have a way to move them to the states safely. I know I can’t sell them and I know how illegal they are, but these were gifts from the 60s. I don’t think we have any documents for them.

Three full ivory tusks, one of which is completely hand carved, a dagger with a case which is also all ivory, a coat made of leopard, and a full tiger skin.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hint:

Three full ivory tusks, one of which is completely hand carved, a dagger with a case which is also all ivory, a coat made of leopard, and a full tiger skin.

I think these things are legal, if they’re like pre-1975 or something.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Hint:

It's not a problem inheriting ivory if it's already in the US, but unfortunately importing it isn't an option. Not sure about the leopard & tiger skins.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Has the tusk tasted Human blood?

Krispy Wafer posted:

The crude implements of peasants. Not the honourable steel of the retainer which has—I cannot stress this enough—tasted human blood.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Residency Evil posted:

I think these things are legal, if they’re like pre-1975 or something.

No documents and importing them into America.

Not going to get ivory and endangered species pelts through customs without any documentation.

They are basically stuck in Greece. I have no idea if you can legally sell ivory in Greece with no documentation, but I'm guessing not.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I thought it was Nazi memorabilia.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

HardDiskD posted:

I thought it was Nazi memorabilia.

It is not illegal and almost trivially easy to import Nazi memorabilia to the U.S. - unless it is live ammunition or firearms.

It was always pretty difficult to import Ivory into the U.S., but the African Elephant Conservation and Legal Ivory Possession Act of 2017 actually made it basically impossible unless you are a museum or have extensive documentation showing it was owned before the 70's.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

quote:

My grandmother has illegal things in her home I don’t know how to handle them when she dies

That's probably a more fun phone call to the authorities than when you find a garage with full DDT containers when going through late great-granddad's stuff. BWM for the estate paying for the hazmat crew to come take it away instead of just Good With Misdemeanors and burying it out back.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I was going to guess unregistered guns that fell under NFA regulation.

Reading the post, it sounds like they should just hire a lawyer instead of asking reddit and then trying to pay a smuggler in Piraeus to steal their ivory.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Maybe bring it in through Mexico, bribe the customs officer, and then drive it across the border in your luggage. That's really the only feasible way I could think of to get it into the US.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Grind it all down to powder, dose it into gelcaps, and sell them as aphrodisiacs on the chinese market for way more in sum than the ivory itself was worth.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

canyoneer posted:

Hucking flea market throwing stars at a tree, fridge box, or old door is one of the simple pleasures of youth.

SMH if you were throwing ninja stars at trees instead of hucking roofing shingles at each other.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

Grind it all down to powder, dose it into gelcaps, and sell them as aphrodisiacs on the chinese market for way more in sum than the ivory itself was worth.

It’s probably a better bet to sell them legally somewhere else than it is to try to bring them into the US given the circumstances.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

canyoneer posted:

:hmmyes:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Serious post: I suspect that giving it away to a museum is probably the best bet... given the unconfirmed provenance and tight laws, trying to sell it or smuggle it out of the country is going to be way more difficult than it's worth.

Maybe loaning to a museum is an option? Gives some documentation of ownership at a given time. Laws might relax eventually, at which point you take it back and bring it wherever.

In any case, donating/loaning to a museum might come with some tax breaks maybe?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have an ivory crochet hook that came in a bag with all my grandmother's knitting supplies. My mom also has an ivory bangle that was my grandmother's that will eventually be mine. I figure I'll just let them kick around in my knitting stuff/jewelry box, but how would I dispose of them if I decided to get rid of them?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have an ivory crochet hook that came in a bag with all my grandmother's knitting supplies. My mom also has an ivory bangle that was my grandmother's that will eventually be mine. I figure I'll just let them kick around in my knitting stuff/jewelry box, but how would I dispose of them if I decided to get rid of them?

Grind it all down to powder, dose it into gelcaps, and use them as aphrodisiacs.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you just want it out of your house any trash can will do for something that small.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fire Emblem is at least on brand for a themed wedding given it's got getting your units to date each other as a mechanic and the most powerful duos are married couples

Sad thing is I bet it just turned out generic larp with swords rather than having people show up in absurdly fancy/oversized armour and one or two scantily clad furries. And a mage or two in a bikini. Though can probably be glad for no extremely inappropriately dressed children.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fire Emblem is at least on brand for a themed wedding given it's got getting your units to date each other as a mechanic and the most powerful duos are married couples

Sad thing is I bet it just turned out generic larp with swords rather than having people show up in absurdly fancy/oversized armour and one or two scantily clad furries. And a mage or two in a bikini. Though can probably be glad for no extremely inappropriately dressed children.
I bet no one even died permanently!!

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Martman posted:

I bet no one even died permanently!!

Who does a failrun LARP for their wedding? Obviously you're going for a 100% completion no death speedrun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weird thing is there's even a DLC class for women that's in a wedding dress, called Bride.
https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Bride

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ivory can be burned too

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If it is already in the U.S., then you can donate it to a museum (if it is significant enough for the museum to want it).

You can sell it in some states if you have documentation proving it was made before X date. You can also get a fairly expensive dating test done, but the Ivory has to be worth a good bit in order to make it worth it.

It is 100% illegal to sell across state lines.

Other than that, you can just keep it. Personal possession is fine.

Or sell it to a friend/shady 1940's Englishmen with a monocle, cargo vest, and a safari hat who won't narc on you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 25, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

If it is already in the U.S., then you can donate it to a museum (if it is significant enough for the museum to want it).

You can sell it in some states if you have documentation proving it was made before X date. You can also get a fairly expensive dating test done, but the Ivory has to be worth a good bit in order to make it worth it.

It is 100% illegal to sell across state lines.

Other than that, you can just keep it. Personal possession is fine.

Or sell it a friend/shady 1940's Englishmen with a monocle, cargo vest, and a safari hat who won't narc on you.

So how am I supposed to get narwhal tusks as decoration for my living room???

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Residency Evil posted:

So how am I supposed to get narwhal tusks as decoration for my living room???

Marry into a family whose Grandma owns Narwhal tusks, ingratiate yourself with Grandma, and then have her will you the tusks.

Repeat as many times as needed to fully deck out your living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Call it mammoth ivory. It's the one trick anti-poachers hate.