Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I haven't paid any attention to the CPC leadership race but what's O'Toole's deal? Is he a neocon? Evangelical? Fascist? Anime fan? Tell me his crimes.

He's here to stop the communists from erasing history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Hand Knit posted:

He's here to stop the communists from erasing history.

Good the soviet union has been living high on the hog for too long

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Aha, did they talk about the USSR more than the 15 seconds I saw?

It's hilarious that these late GenX conservatives are all getting up to talk about the menace of Communism, East Germany, and the USSR, things that ended in their childhoods. Why not just go all in and pretend you went to Vietnam and are in fact a Baby Boomer. Their world view is so narrow, bleak, and out of date that they have to literally pretend to be both solidly from, and still living in, a world that disappeared over three decades ago.

gently caress it, the USSR was around while I was in my infancy. I'm just going to start telling people how great the USSR and Yugo were, based on my personal experiences with those.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
oh thank god the conservatives picked another ineffectual charisma void to lead them, surely our left wing will be able to capitalize on the opportunity this time

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CPC propaganda: "we want a leader who can reach out to all cultural groupings of canadians"

CPC leadership race: "irish is a minority, right?"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'm moving forward with setting up an organizing committee for the DSC in Kitchener. I understand other people's concerns about Joe Roberts, but I think this is a good opportunity. I'll keep my guard up in any case.

Anyone who is interested in contributing, feel free to contact me.

I've also contacted the IWW about a local in the area, and while there is not one in Kitchener, we're apparently grouped with Hamilton. I'll probably be joining soon, and will let you know how that goes.

Well, that's my blog post.

Edit: Oh, I missed that officers from other unions can't join. Welp.

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Aug 24, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Eox posted:

oh thank god the conservatives picked another ineffectual charisma void to lead them

well, yes. i mean they could only pick from the candidates

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Just found out that Erin O'Toole is younger than Justin Trudeau lmao

Barely, Scheer and Singh are both 7 years younger than Trudeau.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i for one welcome Prime Minister Freeland

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's cool that we will get to choose between someone who unironically admires nazis, and erin o'toole in the next federal election. big choices

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I feel like I should have an opinion about this but I can't bring myself to care

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

linoleum floors posted:

I feel like I should have an opinion about this but I can't bring myself to care

it's a shame we changed the thread title so recently

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

poo poo, we really are just USA a few years behind.

Can't wait to say that I am not voting for a nazi.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

infernal machines posted:

it's cool that we will get to choose between someone who unironically admires nazis, and erin o'toole in the next federal election. big choices

O'Toole is going to turn beet red screaming while leading a chant of Lock Her Up and no one will care what Freeland said about her grandfather

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can someone please do a 5-6 bullet point serious post about what O'Toole is about

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

- was in the RCAF
- cabinet minster for vets in Harpers government
- likes to yell and be angry
- preferred choice of Stephen Harper
- not bilingual
- represents a 905 riding
- aging rapidly

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Another Bill posted:

- was in the RCAF
- cabinet minster for vets in Harpers government
- likes to yell and be angry
- preferred choice of Stephen Harper
- not bilingual
- represents a 905 riding
- aging rapidly

thanks i hate it

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Who gets more votes in Quebec? The party with the leader who can't speak French, or the party with the leader who wears a turban?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Normy posted:

Who gets more votes in Quebec? The party with the leader who can't speak French, or the party with the leader who wears a turban?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
I'm a Quebecer who voted NDP in the last election and will fully admit that they are a lovely, flip-floppy "progressive" party. Maybe there are more reasons than just racism as to why people don't trust them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Don Pigeon posted:

I'm a Quebecer who voted NDP in the last election and will fully admit that they are a lovely, flip-floppy "progressive" party. Maybe there are more reasons than just racism as to why people don't trust them.

sure there are, but as you noted, you still voted ndp.

ask the people who didn't

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

infernal machines posted:

sure there are, but as you noted, you still voted ndp.

ask the people who didn't

Electoralism is such a joke anyway. Like you guys said, it doesn't matter how terrible the Conservative leader is, eventually attrition will wear the Liberals down and we're gonna get 10 years of Harper 2.0.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Can someone please do a 5-6 bullet point serious post about what O'Toole is about

I was serious about the erasing history thing. He goes on about that a lot.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:pipe:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jun 20, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Israel taking land is erasing roman history

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
On the subject of next election candidates, is there anything horrible about Freeland except for "Nazi grandpa" and the general horribleness that's associated with Liberals in general?

There's approximately zero chance I'd vote Liberal anyway, but it's hard to find any other information, really. Everyone outside of this site seems to be lining up to praise her as the greatest politician of our generation, and the forums are obsessed with the nazi grandpa thing, which sure, I guess, but I'm finding it hard to get worked up about someone not denouncing their grandfather.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

enki42 posted:

On the subject of next election candidates, is there anything horrible about Freeland except for "Nazi grandpa" and the general horribleness that's associated with Liberals in general?

There's approximately zero chance I'd vote Liberal anyway, but it's hard to find any other information, really. Everyone outside of this site seems to be lining up to praise her as the greatest politician of our generation, and the forums are obsessed with the nazi grandpa thing, which sure, I guess, but I'm finding it hard to get worked up about someone not denouncing their grandfather.

Nazi grandpa isn't something that stands on its own, but is tied to a greater project of multicultural nation-building that ties authentic multi-cultural membership to murderous anti-communist politics. See yesterday's "celebration" of Black Ribbon day, the construction of the Victims of Communism memorial in Ottawa, and our previous discussion here about the politics surrounding the Ukrainian-Canadian identity. It also materializes in a foreign policy that supports neo nazi paramilitaries in Eastern Europe.

While Freeland is obviously not alone in this, it does show that "I love my nazi grandpa" has material consequences beyond a goofy soundbite.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Wasnt she seen as quietly aligning foreign policy with the US to keep them happy while Trudeau got to act tough on trade talks for the press?

Our countrys endorsement of a right wing coup in Bolivia was all I needed to see to make my mind up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Nazi grandpa isn't something that stands on its own, but is tied to a greater project of multicultural nation-building that ties authentic multi-cultural membership to murderous anti-communist politics. See yesterday's "celebration" of Black Ribbon day, the construction of the Victims of Communism memorial in Ottawa, and our previous discussion here about the politics surrounding the Ukrainian-Canadian identity. It also materializes in a foreign policy that supports neo nazi paramilitaries in Eastern Europe.

While Freeland is obviously not alone in this, it does show that "I love my nazi grandpa" has material consequences beyond a goofy soundbite.

yeah, nazi grandpa is a bit of a joke, but having honest to goodness war memorials to nazi battalions isn't. these two points are inextricably linked, and freeland falls on the side of "willing to celebrate, commemorate, venerate, and support nazis past and present", which is a less than ideal position for a potential PM

yippee cahier posted:

Wasnt she seen as quietly aligning foreign policy with the US to keep them happy while Trudeau got to act tough on trade talks for the press?

Our countrys endorsement of a right wing coup in Bolivia was all I needed to see to make my mind up.

that was the implication of a paper no one can read, and seeing as it's basically her job, probably.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

yippee cahier posted:

Venezuela was before that, also something about Haiti I think? We are just a US vasal state. Also everything about US posture with regards to China.

Edit: Also still supplying arms to Saudis. Also suppressing BDS and anything that comes out against Israel.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

theres also the fact that we have a bit of a serious Nazi problem in 2020, so its gonna take more than who cares its just her grandpa to satisfy people who are threatened by said problem

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Lostconfused posted:

Venezuela was before that, also something about Haiti I think? We are just a US vasal state. Also everything about US posture with regards to China.

Edit: Also still supplying arms to Saudis. Also suppressing BDS and anything that comes out against Israel.

Yeah I mean... if 'following the US lead on foreign policy' is the sin every government we've ever had is probably guilty.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

theres also the fact that we have a bit of a serious Nazi problem in 2020

does anyone have only a slight nazi problem?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I just have a little bit of chlamydia.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

yippee cahier posted:

Wasn’t she seen as quietly aligning foreign policy with the US to keep them happy while Trudeau got to act tough on trade talks for the press?

Our country’s endorsement of a right wing coup in Bolivia was all I needed to see to make my mind up.

Shes a massive interventionist and her entire career is built around being a Neo Cold Warrior. cant wait to see what her anticommunist outlook brings to the finance minister role

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Canada has always been a distinctly second tier power that had to operate within the rules set by its more important allies, in particular America, but that doesn't mean that all Canadian administrations have been equally obsequious to American foreign policy. Canada actually did used to have its own foreign policy and it did stake out positions that were contrary to America. Freeland absolutely stands out in terms of being extremely close to Trump's foreign policy agenda, especially in Latin America. Obviously part of that is because Canada has its own nefarious interests to secure there but this idea that all Canadian administrations are equally bad on this front is ridiculous.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Canada actually did used to have its own foreign policy and it did stake out positions that were contrary to America.

Yes, when England told us to :v:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

DynamicSloth posted:

Barely, Scheer and Singh are both 7 years younger than Trudeau.

Ok but they don't look, like, 60

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

My wife guessed 62 this morning regarding how old O'Toole was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Canada towing the US line is definitely a much more recent phenomena. We had good relations with Cuba throughout the blockade. You have to hand it to Chretien for not invading Iraq... Also there was the entire peacekeeping era, which while fraught with problems, still probably represents a high-point in Canadian foreign relations.