Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Cable posted:

I have been catching up, please correct me if I’m wrong - some guy held VtM hostage, caused IRL international trouble that got him fired and now White Wolf as a company doesn’t exist anymore and it’s more of a brand that gets licensed (to Onyx path for example)?

• White Wolf as a company hasn't existed since 2004 when it was bought by CCP, the EVE Online people.
  • CCP continued to employ some of the old White Wolf people and let them publish books with the White Wolf label for awhile to keep the brand alive while they worked on a World of Darkness MMO.
  • They gradually poached talent from the company book nook to work on the MMO, and eventually, when it became apparent the MMO was a botched project with no future, they stopped giving the few book people still employed any money or resources to make books.
  • Somewhere around 2011-ish, Rich Thomas and a couple others who had stayed on through the transition from White Wolf to CCP decided the only way to ensure a future for making books for the White Wolf properties was to incorporate separately and license book rights from CCP. This new company is Onyx Path Publishing.
  • CCP, meanwhile, was shopping the White Wolf properties around to other companies to sell and recoup the money they'd wasted on an MMO project that never materialized.
  • A few years later, Paradox Interactive bought the properties, under the lobbying of Martin Ericsson through his friend Tobias Sjogren, or somesuch. Paradox spun off a new company called White Wolf Entertainment, staffed by mostly new people, with the mandate to shepherd a transmedia push for the (old) World of Darkness, mostly by licensing out video game and other adaptation rights.
  • If you've heard of the New World of Darkness being called the "Chronicles of Darkness," this is where that happened. Paradox mandated the name change to avoid brand dilution. After some panicked negotiations, it was confirmed that Paradox would continue licensing rights to Onyx Path to make books for some of the White Wolf properties.
  • Martin Ericsson, the new creative head of White Wolf Entertainment, was a big old-time LARPer and had grand designs for in-house developing his own Fifth Edition of the World of Darkness focused on his own vision of what worked in the 90s and could be repeated in the new millennium. It was very different from what Onyx Path was doing. Once Fifth Edition approached release, it was implicitly understood that Onyx Path's 20th Anniversary Edition lines were over and no new books would be permitted that might compete with the Fifth Edition for attention.
  • A whole lot of smaller gaffes followed in the V5 rollout, but the blowup happened when White Wolf Entertainment, the Paradox child company, released its first two supplements for the line. The Camarilla book contained an extended segment on how vampire dictatorship is an open secret in Chechnya. The real life Head of the Chechen Republic was identified by name as being a Caligula-like vampire debauching in the blood of his people, and the real life ongoing pogroms against LGBT+ people in Chechnya were stated to be a stunt or smokescreen to distract the international community from the greater, more important atrocities of vampire rulership.
  • Nobody liked this. Leftist advocates for civil rights detested that the oppression and slaughter of LGBT+ people in Chechnya was reduced to a three-dimensional chess move concealing the real atrocities of blood-drinking vampires. Russian rightists lashed out at the piece as a Western smear accusing Chechnya of being a monster country that does pogroms, which of course they deny doing. It made the news cycle in Russia for awhile.
  • Paradox Interactive's executives realized the White Wolf Entertainment child company were loving up and making bad publicity, and moreover, not focusing on what they were supposed to be focusing on, which was profit through multimedia licensing. The White Wolf Entertainment child company was dissolved and management of the Fifth Edition project was absorbed into a small staff at Paradox, too small to continue developing books on their own. Martin Ericsson was released. Development of Fifth Edition books is now licensed out to other companies. Modiphius Entertainment officially shepherds the development of Vampire: the Masquerade now, but in practice they split the license for making and publishing books with Onyx Path Publishing, which never stopped existing through this whole fracas. Hunters Entertainment has been given development reins over Werewolf: the Apocalypse. Onyx Path Publishing also continues to license the right to publish Chronicles of Darkness and Exalted books.
  • The last metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Beckett's Jyhad Diary was insanely good and what we based a lot of the metaplot in our V5 game is based on. All the dumb stuff got dumpstered and it's been fun.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I Am Just a Box posted:

A whole lot of smaller gaffes followed in the V5 rollout, but the blowup happened when

There are some minor quibbles here or there, but I'm actually going to bother posting about this bit just because it's like a sore tooth:

Out of the gate Ericsson made a mess, where during initial interviews he was making GBS threads on what are arguably VtM's most successful years and the stuff that actually made it hugely popular. On top of also a few little side-digs at other properties he was now in charge of, like Exalted. This was years before V5 came out!

Then there was hiring Zak S to write a lovely visual novel phone game, getting pushback over it, then posting on the actual company website "we investigated and he's actually fine."

gently caress Ericsson.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

There are some minor quibbles here or there, but I'm actually going to bother posting about this bit just because it's like a sore tooth:

I glossed for space and pretty much agree that he was a self-aggrandizing rear end with a terrible vision, but you're right that I should have thought of

That Old Tree posted:

Then there was hiring Zak S to write a lovely visual novel phone game, getting pushback over it, then posting on the actual company website "we investigated and he's actually fine."

It was specifically "we investigated and found no truth to the claims made," just to confirm that yeah, they effectively called Zak's victims liars.

So gently caress everybody who had a hand in that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I Am Just a Box posted:

Fun thing about this. Tobias was fired before Martin because Paradox blamed him for White wolf's poor perception even while everyone was screaming at Martin. Then some months later Chechnya happened.

Also one of the first New White Wolf things made, even before the pants shitter visual novel with the disembodied rear end and the scary transwoman, was the reprinting of an old vampire fiction anthology (that meant he had to pay residuals to a child rapist, natch) but with a new story in the foreword, one written by Swedracula. Which contained the line "Stir my groinsblood to full rear end-rape stiffness."

e: OH.

While I was trying to figure out the timeline of things again I stumbled across W20 changing ways again, and the paragraph indicating that if a Homid Garou attempts to get an abortion they automatically frenzy because all women instinctually want to be mothers.

This also came out shortly after the whole vampire sex change thing.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 22, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For other of Martin's sins, he thought that doing a new edition of WoD: Gypsies was a great idea and that WW were pussies for not doing anything supernatural with 9/11. Justin Achilli, the Vampire developer who had the basic common sense to realize that was a terrible idea is now Vampire's developer again.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Kurieg posted:

This also came out shortly after the whole vampire sex change thing.

Oh god, is this a typo meant to refer to the transphobic werewolves or is there also a vampire sex change thing?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The latter.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

Oh god, is this a typo meant to refer to the transphobic werewolves or is there also a vampire sex change thing?

It conflates gender and sex, trying to explain that it's a transgender transformation spell but it's actually Transsexual. It invokes the great hermaphrodite for some reason. And it doesn't really explain what it means by "Identifies" when this is a case when it really, really needs to.

Because as written you can use the blood of a castrated male to give yourself a dick after you rip your tits off, also you can maybe use the blood of a transman to give yourself a dick. And give yourself a dick so well that you can knock someone up. But who knows because their use of gender is so confused.

bonus points: The name of the ritual is "Profane holy matrimony"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
This is where I chime in as the usual defender of the concept of the great hermaphrodite to instead say this ritual is a confused mess that isn't worth the space it's printed on.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
if my timeline is correct, the first errata Modiphius did was to basically rewrite the power wholesale so now it's just "trip balls, have a catatonic dream, and wake up in whatever body you saw yourself having"

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Man i picked an odd time to come in to the thread for some advice/input...

I'm currently working on a new character for an Awakening game - it's been a few years since I played with the system so I'm a bit rusty. General concept is 'retired monster', since I like the idea of someone having to heal the damage to their soul caused by some Eyes Wide Shut crap they did pre-awakening. Mostly stumbling towards a Mastigos AA but I'm running in to some issues trying to figure out if the conflict he'd focus on would work: would someone basically LARPing as a philanthropist to politically punch up at the sort of people he used to be work for the Order? Or is that more of a Silver Ladder or Guardian thing? Last PC i played was SL and I'll admit i could never really wrap my head around the latter.

Two additional things to go along with that.
1) I should probably check in with the ST to get a better feel for this but how important do y'all tend to find mundane Merits for Mage characters? Coming off of a V20 game so i want to make sure my head's in the right space is all.
2) Any good places to look for 1e Legacies that have been ported over to 2e?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

It conflates gender and sex, trying to explain that it's a transgender transformation spell but it's actually Transsexual. It invokes the great hermaphrodite for some reason. And it doesn't really explain what it means by "Identifies" when this is a case when it really, really needs to.

Because as written you can use the blood of a castrated male to give yourself a dick after you rip your tits off, also you can maybe use the blood of a transman to give yourself a dick. And give yourself a dick so well that you can knock someone up. But who knows because their use of gender is so confused.

bonus points: The name of the ritual is "Profane holy matrimony"

This is like something you'd see in first edition Unknown Armies.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

citybeatnik posted:

Man i picked an odd time to come in to the thread for some advice/input...

I'm currently working on a new character for an Awakening game - it's been a few years since I played with the system so I'm a bit rusty. General concept is 'retired monster', since I like the idea of someone having to heal the damage to their soul caused by some Eyes Wide Shut crap they did pre-awakening. Mostly stumbling towards a Mastigos AA but I'm running in to some issues trying to figure out if the conflict he'd focus on would work: would someone basically LARPing as a philanthropist to politically punch up at the sort of people he used to be work for the Order? Or is that more of a Silver Ladder or Guardian thing? Last PC i played was SL and I'll admit i could never really wrap my head around the latter.

Two additional things to go along with that.
1) I should probably check in with the ST to get a better feel for this but how important do y'all tend to find mundane Merits for Mage characters? Coming off of a V20 game so i want to make sure my head's in the right space is all.
2) Any good places to look for 1e Legacies that have been ported over to 2e?

It's not the standard Arrow concept, but I'm sure you could frame it in a way that makes it work. I know there's been a lot of awkward magechat about the Arrow lawyer character concept in these threads over the years, but there's room to make Arrows that aren't about literal warfare.

As for mundane merits in Mage, here are two reasons I think you should invest in them:
1) One of the interesting things about Mage is the conflict between the mundane world you live in and the magic you're obsessed with. Mundane merits give the parts of the mundane world you're invested in mechanical weight.
2) You're (probably) making a social-focused Mastigos. The more mundane social merits you have, the less things you need to hit with Mind magic to do something interesting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I Am Just a Box posted:

A whole lot of smaller gaffes followed in the V5 rollout,

I agree that nothing was as the international incident, but it's important to stress that even the smaller gaffes were on a spectrum ranging from alt-right to straight up nazi.

Any of the gaffes could be dismissed as an accident or unintentional (and wow were they dismissed) but the pattern and frequency was more disturbing.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's not the standard Arrow concept, but I'm sure you could frame it in a way that makes it work. I know there's been a lot of awkward magechat about the Arrow lawyer character concept in these threads over the years, but there's room to make Arrows that aren't about literal warfare.

As for mundane merits in Mage, here are two reasons I think you should invest in them:
1) One of the interesting things about Mage is the conflict between the mundane world you live in and the magic you're obsessed with. Mundane merits give the parts of the mundane world you're invested in mechanical weight.
2) You're (probably) making a social-focused Mastigos. The more mundane social merits you have, the less things you need to hit with Mind magic to do something interesting.

Thanks for the input! I'll probably lean more towards Status and Allies then - i'm liking the idea of someone who got taken for a ride by an Abyssal cult that were fattening him up for a sacrifice before his Awakening. Whatever Resources he had got sucked away by the cult but he could still fling himself headlong at some social issues.

As for the social heavy side of things, yeah probably. Going for a lion in winter feel i suppose. Have a bad habit of making generalists though so some combat stuff might creep in there.

I keep glancing at stuff like Concord of the Serpent and Liberatores (or Devourers of the Flesh if he spirals out) but i don't want to get too drawn in on that stuff when I'm shaking the dust off my knowledge. Plus the whole issue of them not being ported over yet.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Thanks a lot for the effort in writing this up! I knew some of the WW no longer existing part, I used to lurk this thread every now and then a couple years ago.

Btw, what happened to the guy that was creating a "census" on every canon supernatural in the WoD?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cable posted:

Thanks a lot for the effort in writing this up! I knew some of the WW no longer existing part, I used to lurk this thread every now and then a couple years ago.

Btw, what happened to the guy that was creating a "census" on every canon supernatural in the WoD?
Loomer is still working on it. And still writing encouraging progress reports.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Publication is still on schedule, I'm just wrapped up in work commitments and a terminal illness in the family. I have all of Q4 free so we should still see it by EOY - the big holdups on the census rather than the timeline are the final rechecks, which are mostly quick but now and then require me to trawl through some of the dullest books in the entire published setting like Isle of the Mighty for stuff that was unclear in my notes or in the source itself, usually stremming from one of the weird-rear end typos here and there. Mages with Dynamic as their Tradition, Fae with inverted Seelie/Unseelie legacies, Vampires with inconsistent generations and years of embrace, and so on.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Was it confirmed that Tobias' firing was due to him being blamed for poor sales? Because I think Paradox decided after V5 didn't set the world on fire like they promised that they were going to absorb the company, he quit rather than oversee that, and plans were rapidly accelerated when The Incident occured.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wasn't there something also to letting at least part of the Gangrel copyright get away from then, into the hands of an aging indie wrestler? Like who was asleep at the switch there?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Wasn't there something also to letting at least part of the Gangrel copyright get away from then, into the hands of an aging indie wrestler? Like who was asleep at the switch there?

I mean, I wouldn't really blame that on anyone in current White Wolf. The Gangrel lawsuit began in 2008 under CCP White Wolf, it just took a decade to be resolved in any way.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I mean, I wouldn't really blame that on anyone in current White Wolf. The Gangrel lawsuit began in 2008 under CCP White Wolf, it just took a decade to be resolved in any way.

What happened here? I know there was a wrestler with the ring name "Gangrel", did he sue for the right to the name? And how did it shake out?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

What happened here? I know there was a wrestler with the ring name "Gangrel", did he sue for the right to the name? And how did it shake out?

Here's my understanding of what happened:

1998: White Wolf licenses the Gangrel name to WWE (then WWF) for a five year deal, with the option to renew if they want to keep using the name. They give the character to David Heath, who made it a fan-favorite character at the time.
2003: WWE lets the license expire and stops thinking about it, because they've fired David Heath and he's already wrestling on the indies as VAMPIRE WARRIOR.
2007: WWE brings David Heath back for an anniversary show as Gangrel. White Wolf notices them using the name despite not having the license any more and, swollen with CCP money, sues WWE the following year.
2008-2018: Ten years of legal arguments that I don't actually understand. The important part is that David Heath was referred to as "formerly known as Gangrel" during this time on the rare occasions he appeared on camera because it was such a legal pain and that it ended in-
2018: A judge finally decides that when you hear Gangrel in a wrestling context you don't think about White Wolf in the slightest, you think about David Heath in a frilly white shirt drinking blood from a goblet, and thus he has the rights to the name and is able to license it and make merchandise with it. Since then he's gone back to referring to himself as Gangrel on the indies and is generally surprisingly good for a guy his age.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 25, 2020

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I believe it came down to something about there not being any confusion over which gangrel was which one. So they could both use the name in their own IP way. Which really is dumb because why did they license the name in the first place then? Then again, this is US trademark law which is not known for being at all logical or sensible, so...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's the same logic that lets me buy a slice of apple pie without the diner paying royalties to a phone company.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2008-2018: Ten years of legal arguments that I don't actually understand. The important part is that David Heath was referred to as "formerly known as Gangrel" during this time on the rare occasions he appeared on camera because it was such a legal pain and that it ended in-
2018: A judge finally decides that when you hear Gangrel in a wrestling context you don't think about White Wolf in the slightest, you think about David Heath in a frilly white shirt drinking blood from a goblet, and thus he has the rights to the name and is able to license it and make merchandise with it. Since then he's gone back to referring to himself as Gangrel on the indies and is generally surprisingly good for a guy his age.

WWE is all about bogging people down in legal battles of attrition that usually end through some type of technicality when they can. They're one of the worst companies to sue or seek legal action against because they have lots of money, political clout, and a history of loving over their contracted workers for decades. Where some companies like the WWE, worth almost a billion dollars, would just settle in a case like this, the WWE will drag it out of spite because it's all about the power to them. WWE was definitely in the right here though but it's just one of those companies that you don't want to end up in court with.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, I've got a document I want to put on DriveThruRPG, how do I make it look Professional?

Related, are any of you freelance Document Make Look Goodifiers and what kind of per-page rates do you charge?

edit- there's like two excel spreadsheets, i've got everthing formatted in an ODF file. i've got some in-line images to include also.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Like, is it just two Excel spreadsheets? How many pages are we talking about here? Do you want to make it look like a World of Darkness book, and if so, which line? I can do stuff like that although I haven't quite worked out what the proper rate is for something small.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Depending on complexity—which I would imagine to be low using the provided templates from STV and your own provided assets—I'd be willing to go with $3 per page or $25 flat, whichever is higher.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Rand Brittain posted:

Like, is it just two Excel spreadsheets? How many pages are we talking about here? Do you want to make it look like a World of Darkness book, and if so, which line? I can do stuff like that although I haven't quite worked out what the proper rate is for something small.

I think it's actually just one spreadsheet, and some PNGs. the whole thing is around 10 pages, though I'm realizing I've forgotten to complete some parts. As far as specifics about lines, I'm thinking this suppliment will be oriented towards mortals. It's intended for Wod/ChronD games but it's also wobbly enough to work in other settings.

That Old Tree posted:

Depending on complexity—which I would imagine to be low using the provided templates from STV and your own provided assets—I'd be willing to go with $3 per page or $25 flat, whichever is higher.

If there's a template I'll probably try downloading it and giving it a crack myself, but this is the first part of a larger project that I might send your way for polishing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

There are Word templates on the Vault. Definitely play around with those and see what you come up with.

EDIT: a bunch of templates and CoD core/mortals template specifically

There's also lots of free-use art (for STV products only), if you need more assets.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 29, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/WerewolfVGAME/status/1299720421437247488

The Werewolf game's protagonist absolutely smolders with generic Rage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's amazing how bad Earthblood looks compared to Heart of the Forest. Werewolf games, a tale of contrasts.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 29, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Fianna rage

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah those werewolf graphics look like something from a pre rendered PS1 cutscene.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CottonWolf posted:

It's amazing how bad Earthblood looks compared to Heart of the Forest. Werewolf games, a tale of contrasts.

I didn't realize Heart of the Forest's demo is out. Now that's the good stuff. :discourse:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I didn't realize Heart of the Forest's demo is out. Now that's the good stuff. :discourse:

yeah but it's not fair to compare an interactive novel with an action rpg. HotF was nice and atmospheric, but playing the demo was more than enough for me to be done with it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm either going to mentally reskin Earthbutt into a Forsaken game or pretend I'm a Deathwatch Space Wolf completely blasted on Mjod and babbling about oil companies and Gaia as he fights Chaosy things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Talk about a Fianna fail, am I right?