Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

otoh is it really a bad thing if your company knows you're looking?

It's pretty bad if your company has a policy of firing anyone even suspected to be disloyal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

It's pretty bad if your company has a policy of firing anyone even suspected to be disloyal.

sounds like it's still worth the risk in that case

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Makeout Patrol posted:

sounds like it's still worth the risk in that case

yeah. either you're getting out anyways or your management actually has an 'oh poo poo' moment and tries to head off the problem

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah. either you're getting out anyways or your management actually has an 'oh poo poo' moment and tries to head off the problem

Even if you're not happy you still should be interviewing occasionally to keep the skill sharp and see what the options are.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bored Online posted:

any idea how good a job linkedin actually does of hiding your poo poo from your companys own recruiters
People on my team are constantly contacted by recruiters looking to hire for for the spots open on our team.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It’s also nice not to lose out on potentially months of income while you search.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Jorbs posted:

It’s also nice not to lose out on potentially months of income while you search.

I've never heard of someone being fired just for interviewing at another place. That's insane. If someone were genuinely in that position then they're probably already on such thin ice that a stiff breeze could have gotten them fired and----- they should be interviewing

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah, what's the alternative? not interview and basically live as a hostage of your piece of poo poo current employer?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I've never heard of someone being fired just for interviewing at another place. That's insane. If someone were genuinely in that position then they're probably already on such thin ice that a stiff breeze could have gotten them fired and----- they should be interviewing

jagozinski’d again

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PIZZA.BAT posted:

There are all sorts of reasons (including but not limited to immediate firing) you might not want to disclose to your employer even if they’re not stupid or petty. Good luck getting any interesting projects or building political capital if you’re perceived as a short timer.

Also worth mentioning there are different rules for a generic windows system administrator in demoines vs nosql consultant in an insurance hub. This thread tends towards big swinging confidence which is important but know your situation.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

oh yeah i'm not saying you should be wearing it on your sleeve or anything. but if you're worried that your employer is going out of their way to spy on you by making fake recruiter accounts then that's not a place you want to be building political capital anyways

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
our company has recruiters so im more just curious how overt it is

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Recruiter called, I resisted the final volley of "say a number" questions and she said she's going to have to "wing it" without a number from me. I'm supposed to expect an offer coming sometime tomorrow.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bored Online posted:

our company has recruiters so im more just curious how overt it is

if you have yourself as working for x on linkedin it won't show you to recruiters who also say they're working for x

that's about the extent of what they can cover

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

ThePeavstenator posted:

Recruiter called, I resisted the final volley of "say a number" questions and she said she's going to have to "wing it" without a number from me. I'm supposed to expect an offer coming sometime tomorrow.

I feel that this is a crap shoot. If it's a third-party recruiter, they're probably going to low ball to get the deal and won't have a good idea of the market value of the position.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

drunk mutt posted:

I feel that this is a crap shoot. If it's a third-party recruiter, they're probably going to low ball to get the deal and won't have a good idea of the market value of the position.

This is a recruiter working for the company

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if you have yourself as working for x on linkedin it won't show you to recruiters who also say they're working for x

that's about the extent of what they can cover
I guess my company’s specific problem is that the company name has changed at least three times in the past two years due to mergers and acquisitions. People who have been contacted by our corporate recruiter all have some of the older names listed still.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

you said this was a faang (or ms) right? levels.fyi is your friend

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Achmed Jones posted:

you said this was a faang (or ms) right? levels.fyi is your friend

Thanks, I've been looking at levels.fyi and I think I've got an idea of where I think I'm supposed to be at, and the minimum that I'd be happy with. When the offer comes back I'll have an idea of what to counter with if it's not quite what I'm looking for.

e:

If I do counter, should I bring up levels.fyi specifically, or just "research"?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm sure they know about levels.fyi already but what reasons do you have for disclosing that information to your negotiating counterparty? do you have a good reason to believe that it will increase your leverage?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"sorry guys I asked on blind and they said this offer was no good. so try again"

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm sure they know about levels.fyi already but what reasons do you have for disclosing that information to your negotiating counterparty? do you have a good reason to believe that it will increase your leverage?

The only jobs I've had are my internship and my current job, which I got out of college, so I've never really been in a spot where I've negotiated. I'm just thinking I'd bring it up so it doesn't sound like I'm pulling numbers out of my rear end.

akadajet posted:

"sorry guys I asked on blind and they said this offer was no good. so try again"

When you put it that way, yeah I see why it makes no sense for me to bring it up :v:

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 24, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

they're a tech major. they know the right numbers. if you're asking for something reasonable they won't think you're pulling it out of you're rear end

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can state that you'd immediately accept if they offer $X, state that it's what you require which implies your making near it now, or imply you have another offer. Any of these is a stronger position than stating a third party source told you that $X should be in the correct range.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FreshFeesh posted:

am i missing any important job sites to check? right now my weekly routine is

glassdoor
craigslist
governmentjobs
usajobs
linkedin jobs
dice
execthread

it's almost disappointing that I'm not getting recruiter spam via LinkedIn

Check stackoverflow, they have easily the highest quality postings

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

asur posted:

You can state that you'd immediately accept if they offer $X, state that it's what you require which implies your making near it now, or imply you have another offer. Any of these is a stronger position than stating a third party source told you that $X should be in the correct range.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm currently in Milwaukee and this would involve relocation to Seattle, but I could use the "this is what I require" line based on market/COL + whatever I'm looking for in a pay bump. I actually am interviewing with other FAANGs so I can also outright say that I've got other options without it being a lie. This company/job is my favorite of the ones I've heard back from, the tech/responsibilities/architecture is basically the same as my current job but at big tech co scale, and they're also trying to move the process along for this job as quickly as possible.

I think I'll use your "this is what I require" line if the offer isn't where I want, then back it up by talking about how good of a fit I am for this job, that I'm interviewing at other FAANGs, and that they're trying to move fast on filling this position. Of all the jobs I'm interviewing for, this is the job that I'm the most interested in so I wouldn't feel like I missed out on other opportunities by accepting an offer before hearing back from other places if the offer was right.

Should I negotiate even if the offer is acceptable to me? I know what's fair for the levels this position is posted for, and I know what I'd be fine with accepting, but should I counter at least once just to see if they'll go up? I guess it couldn't hurt, the worst they'll do is say "no".

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

sent the counter-offer. let's do this

they're drawing up the paperwork :yotj:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they're drawing up the paperwork :yotj:

:yotj:

ThePeavstenator posted:

Thanks for the advice!

I'm currently in Milwaukee and this would involve relocation to Seattle, but I could use the "this is what I require" line based on market/COL + whatever I'm looking for in a pay bump. I actually am interviewing with other FAANGs so I can also outright say that I've got other options without it being a lie. This company/job is my favorite of the ones I've heard back from, the tech/responsibilities/architecture is basically the same as my current job but at big tech co scale, and they're also trying to move the process along for this job as quickly as possible.

I think I'll use your "this is what I require" line if the offer isn't where I want, then back it up by talking about how good of a fit I am for this job, that I'm interviewing at other FAANGs, and that they're trying to move fast on filling this position. Of all the jobs I'm interviewing for, this is the job that I'm the most interested in so I wouldn't feel like I missed out on other opportunities by accepting an offer before hearing back from other places if the offer was right.

Should I negotiate even if the offer is acceptable to me? I know what's fair for the levels this position is posted for, and I know what I'd be fine with accepting, but should I counter at least once just to see if they'll go up? I guess it couldn't hurt, the worst they'll do is say "no".

I'm awful at negotiating so I can't offer any advice about that but I (and I think several other yosposters) am in Seattle so if you move forward with the position let me know if you have any questions about the city, especially pertaining to our new covid hellworld.

My current job is my first FAANG company and I totally, absolutely flubbed the salary part. Like literally getting laughed at on the phone. They still came in with about what levels.fyi said I should be making for my position and years of experience, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ThePeavstenator posted:

yep even if they know you’re full of poo poo they might give you a token bump in hiring bonus or something

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you don't need to be cagey about Amazon. Seattle and a two day slo on interviews is amazon

(but it'll be funny if I'm wrong and it's ms)

and Jesus yes always ask for more stock. the worst they do is say "no," they aren't gonna pull the offer

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Achmed Jones posted:

you don't need to be cagey about Amazon. Seattle and a two day slo on interviews is amazon

(but it'll be funny if I'm wrong and it's ms)

and Jesus yes always ask for more stock. the worst they do is say "no," they aren't gonna pull the offer

Almost! This ones actually Microsoft and of the other FAANGs I've applied to, the other one I've heard back from so far and am interviewing with is Amazon.

Also I just got off the phone with the Microsoft recruiter! The offer is a little low for the level, but I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to counter with (thanks levels).

Do people :justpost: numbers here? Just looking to see if I'm totally off-base before I counter.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
you can post your faang offer if you want, but you are going to get one of three responses:
1. that's bullshit, nobody gets paid that much, you are lying!
2. stop bragging you bougie rear end in a top hat, it's a pandemic and huge economic downturn, people are suffering!
3. lol gj i got 20k more stock tho

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

bombed internal team switch interview in my opinion

i fumbled a question that i knew
and misremembered/miscategorized some tech ive barely touched (which i then said after answering up the question, rather than before, oops)

we shall see how it gets evaluated relative to other candidates

super demotivating to bomb out on stuff i thought i knew though

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
is apple good to work for? i've heard some things that sound really appealing and some things that sound terrible. i'm not actively looking for a new gig but i'm getting low-key recruited by a friend of a friend and i'm wondering if it's worth pursuing. (and i don't consider interviewing zero cost so "what's the downside" is not a convincing argument to me.) e: i don't have faang on my resume right now so that would be a big bonus.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can post your faang offer if you want, but you are going to get one response:
1. get them figgies

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Offer: Microsoft SE2 (Level 61) @ $125k/yr, $30k RSUs, $10k signing bonus

Planned counter: $140k/yr, $50k RSUs, $20k signing bonus

Everything in the counter is around the median, except for the RSUs.

e:

Also I've got 3 years of experience at my current job + 2 years of internship experience. Do internships count toward total experience?

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 26, 2020

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Offer: Microsoft SE2 (Level 61) @ $125k/yr, $30k RSUs, $10k signing bonus

Planned counter: $140k/yr, $50k RSUs, $20k signing bonus

Everything in the counter is around the median, except for the RSUs.

e:

Also I've got 3 years of experience at my current job + 2 years of internship experience. Do internships count toward total experience?

Is this two summer internships or internships you held for two years total?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I'm pretty certain the bonus they're showing on level.fyi is the annual bonus which looks to be 10% or 15% of salary. You can probably ask for a large signing bonus or ask for more if they don't meet your ask.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Eldred posted:

Is this two summer internships or internships you held for two years total?

2 consecutive years at the same place including part-time during the school year

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

asur posted:

I'm pretty certain the bonus they're showing on level.fyi is the annual bonus which looks to be 10% or 15% of salary. You can probably ask for a large signing bonus or ask for more if they don't meet your ask.

bigass signing bonus is always a great second ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I interviewed this month with Affirm, an e-commerce installment loan company. Their process involves an offline coding exercise and I told them that I would do it on the condition that they provide feedback if the work was not satisfactory. As I've mentioned before, I do not like putting in time on a coding exercise, throwing it over the wall, and getting nothing constructive back.

After the recruiter agreed to the condition, I did the exercise. Although I believe that I implemented all their feature requirements, they were not satisfied and they did not provide feedback, even after a followup request to do so. Be aware of this before putting time into Affirm's recruiting process.