Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of colonisation, what's the best strategy for an early coloniser like Portugal?

My instinct is to go with the Native Coexistence Policy so I don't need to garrison places and thus can run my army at zero maintenance in peacetime, and take a valuable colonial region like the Caribbean, then maybe South America.

However, is it a better idea to suck up the cost of Native Repression early on since the bonus is proportionally larger in the early game? Or rush down to South Africa and try and dominate there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Native Repression is totally worth it for the extra growth. Ferrying little groups of troops around to guard the colonies is annoying but overall not a big deal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Now that you can hire native mercs there is very little need to ship dudes to the colonies. You can just raise an army of Indians over there as soon you get a province fully colonized and just leave them to run poo poo

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Poil posted:

Colonialism basically spawns as follows:
50% Castile
40% Portugal
10% England
~0% Other

Guess where your player controlled nation is? :v:

Playing France, it spawned in Bas-Poitou and I had just sent my first colonist into Antilles. Guess my citizens are REALLY eager to :frogout:.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Speaking of colonisation, what's the best strategy for an early coloniser like Portugal?

My instinct is to go with the Native Coexistence Policy so I don't need to garrison places and thus can run my army at zero maintenance in peacetime, and take a valuable colonial region like the Caribbean, then maybe South America.

However, is it a better idea to suck up the cost of Native Repression early on since the bonus is proportionally larger in the early game? Or rush down to South Africa and try and dominate there?
I dont have the game running right now so I cant check the proper names of these things, but recently, if i am planning on going Exploration and Expansion, I have liked doing the middle Colonization option that reduces native attacks by 50% and increases native assimilation, because the policy for having both Exploration and Expansion reduces native attacks by another 50%.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont have the game running right now so I cant check the proper names of these things, but recently, if i am planning on going Exploration and Expansion, I have liked doing the middle Colonization option that reduces native attacks by 50% and increases native assimilation, because the policy for having both Exploration and Expansion reduces native attacks by another 50%.

There’s also a clergy estate interaction that reduces native aggro by 50, you can use that too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

skasion posted:

There’s also a clergy estate interaction that reduces native aggro by 50, you can use that too.
I.... think I knew that at one time but completely forgot since then!

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It would be nice if Lotharingia could actually get the kingdom rank instead of being teased with it because of HRE mechanics:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Was playing Austria and I forgot to be diplomatic and accidentally converted to reformed and left the HRE and conquered half of Germany. I don't think I'm going to complete the mission tree. :(

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well you can always form Germany and get the achievement for that if you haven't.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
FYI, if you give the nobility four privileges and then take statuatory rights, you can't revoke statuatory rights until you revoke one of the other ones. Woops. Well, :thermidor:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

FYI, if you give the nobility four privileges and then take statuatory rights, you can't revoke statuatory rights until you revoke one of the other ones. Woops. Well, :thermidor:

edit: Misread this at first, but yeah, giving any estate four privileges will often be tricky unless you pick mostly non-influence-giving privileges. You could always try waiting for a loyalty-giving event to fire and then do an agenda and sell land at the same time. That should be enough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You should always actually do this, because you can't revoke it for 25 years anyway. So you always want to max them out with a monopoly first, it's a free point of Mercantilism and you'll have loads of time to revoke that first.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

You should always actually do this, because you can't revoke it for 25 years anyway. So you always want to max them out with a monopoly first, it's a free point of Mercantilism and you'll have loads of time to revoke that first.

There is an exception to this, called Poland, as the Sejm give themselves privileges which can easily push statutory rights far to the, well, right.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does it seem like the AI is over eager to peace out minor participants in wars, with some cash changing hands? I feel like this was a problem in the past that got fixed, but maybe it's unfixed now. In most cases it would make more sense to keep the enemy forts occupied and not make peace, unless the defeated power is still running around with extra troops.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hegemon status giving you -100 relations with your own subjects is truly ridiculous.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't know the absolutism cap could go negative, or that it brings down the absolution with it. Good thing it doesn't give any penalties. Currently at -25 and now I want to keep diving. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Poil posted:

I didn't know the absolutism cap could go negative, or that it brings down the absolution with it. Good thing it doesn't give any penalties. Currently at -25 and now I want to keep diving. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti8xeyaSwCI

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

Then the winged hussars arrive?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Hegemon status giving you -100 relations with your own subjects is truly ridiculous.

yeah it's completely worthless for singleplayer. i guess it might be useful in multiplayer if there are two superpowers that each hold half the world, but does that even happen?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i sort of like the massive opinion penalty for hegemon (although i wish I'd known about it before I clicked the button, the first time). You get some serious bonuses from clicking the button, and it stops it being a no-brainer. You dont click it unless you're confident you can tell the rest of the world to kiss your rear end.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BBJoey posted:

yeah it's completely worthless for singleplayer. i guess it might be useful in multiplayer if there are two superpowers that each hold half the world, but does that even happen?

Not sure how it's "completely worthless." I had no problem keeping my vassals happy and integrating them with the -100 malus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well it was irritating for me in that when I started acquiring CNs in the end game, and knowing they'll just be disloyal layabouts for the rest of the campaign. Hegemon is only part of that, and they're not going to declare on me and my 1300 large sons regiments, and I even then I would still trade everything they could do for 20% siege ability, but still.

Also god drat the Mughals are easy. I'm nearly finished a WC I wasn't even intending to do, it just sort of happened. Even had Shah Rukh die immediately back at the start; if you know what you're doing it slows you down not at all. If I was going to do it again I'd make sure to find room for Religious ideas though; especially since you should convert to Shia anyway for the morale bonus, having a CB on nearly everyone would have been so nice.

e: great powers list looking weird

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 24, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the best strategy with colonial nations as a Catholic coloniser anyway? Do you just get five contiguous provinces in a colonial region to form the colonial nation, then move onto the next region? Or is it better to fill up a region ASAP?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I think the most important thing is to subsidize colonial nation so that they send their own colonist they get from their ideas. They will start to fill in their region. Of course you might want to speed this up by colonizing yourself and conquering others.

Also there's vassal interaction for asking them to start a colonial war you don't get called into. Also you can give them your claims. You might put two and two together.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Deffo do the five provinces>CN thing and move on, as Catholic nations are subject to the Treaty of Tor-tor-tortoises and you'll get a nice +10 settler boost in that region if you're first. Conversely, if you're not first you get a settler malus and a hefty opinion modifier with both the Pope and the person you got there first if you dare to colonise. If you're Portugal you might end up provoking Castille by mistake, which might not be optimal.

Get all the regions you want, then backfill.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Playing as the Iroquois and it's going... ok... ish. I'm not sure if I was unlucky or lucky but none of the colonizers went for Canada and I had to slowly snake my way down to Louisiana until I was one province away from the Mexican Gulf before I could reform. At least I got printing press for "free".

Surprisingly all the long waiting has only been the second most boring thing so far. Most boring? The colonial nations. They suddenly show up, spread like wildfire quickly gobbling up everything and then... nothing. They just sit there 100% static until the game ends. They don't fight each other (especially not since they're practically ALL Castile, Portugal owns 95% of the Caribbean as usual). They don't fight the natives. They certainly don't change hands as colonizers vie for control of the new world, because they prefer to ally since they are obviously not competing for anything and if they fight it's never about colony land or wealth. They just sit there on their thumbs for hundreds of years. The only time one could do something drastic such as for example declaring independence is if the original country gets utterly curb stomped back in Europe so the cowardly colonialists get a 10-1 numbers advantage or whatever they need to cross above the astronomical 50% mark. Do they take their own and the other colonial nations armies into account as adding to their overlards military strength when comparing or something?

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 24, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

catholic colonial nations dont get claims according to a post i read once, which is probably why they’re so docile. If you otoh colonize as ming or an indian nation your colony will be ready for war constantly

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Well it was irritating for me in that when I started acquiring CNs in the end game, and knowing they'll just be disloyal layabouts for the rest of the campaign. Hegemon is only part of that, and they're not going to declare on me and my 1300 large sons regiments, and I even then I would still trade everything they could do for 20% siege ability, but still.

Also god drat the Mughals are easy. I'm nearly finished a WC I wasn't even intending to do, it just sort of happened. Even had Shah Rukh die immediately back at the start; if you know what you're doing it slows you down not at all. If I was going to do it again I'd make sure to find room for Religious ideas though; especially since you should convert to Shia anyway for the morale bonus, having a CB on nearly everyone would have been so nice.

e: great powers list looking weird

46 merchants?!?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The change for Trade Companies to be everywhere not in your super region does silly things once you're master of most of the world.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For WC, are you stacking autonomy reduction in territories or what? I don't see how you can get that far without making a lot of states, and governing capacity gets in the way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I stated basically nothing, capital is in India, India was all stated, along with the area Herat is in so that I could collect in Persia. Everything East of there is TC'd, most places West of there that I couldn't feed into Persia were just left as territories. No autonomy reductions (admin capacity is simply better).

I had India and China conquered by about 1650 (could be done much faster) and the trade income that gives was allowing me to run massive armies and have a 400 ducat/month surplus. Trade is very, very strong right now, and the Trade Company investment for Goods Produced is basically an extra manufactory for all your TC territory (most of it).

Had to keep spamming courthouses/town halls to stay under the admin limit, but staying under it was not hard.

TCs are good yo. Also that's after I'd seized a bunch of CNs, so probably a dozen of them are from that? I wasn't even assigning them because I couldn't be bothered to find them a job.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 24, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How do people play North American natives? I figured out that turning off Cossacks helps a lot at start to cut down on alliance spam/favours required, but otherwise I have no clue what I should be doing. Also I prioritise the +10 force limit building.

As for DLC I have all of it bar Emperor.

Every guide I can find is few years out of date at best and doesn't really work anymore.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 24, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

For WC, are you stacking autonomy reduction in territories or what? I don't see how you can get that far without making a lot of states, and governing capacity gets in the way.

TCs are -50% GC cost. Courthouses are -25% and their upgraded version is -50%. State houses are -20%/-40%. All of these modifiers are additive, and you can see that they exceed 100%. You're granted more than enough GC to create a solid foundation of states for a world conquest.

Of course, the micro of actually achieving true -100% across the entire world is too much, but as long as you get all the high dev land, it's generally good enough. You'll be spending the vast majority of your income on courthouses, town halls, and state houses after a while.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Private Speech posted:

How do people play North American natives? I figured out that turning off Cossacks helps a lot at start to cut down on alliance spam/favours required, but otherwise I have no clue what I should be doing. Also I prioritise the +10 force limit building.

As for DLC I have all of it bar Emperor.

Every guide I can find is few years out of date at best and doesn't really work anymore.
No idea about guides or even competent play. I just sat on my butt slowly colonizing towards where I thought the Europeans would first land, made some no-CB wars against neighbors to get their land or vassalage them when I could (annexed them when they migrated up close) and slapped down as many of the income boosting buildings as possible to afford running two colonies and some army at the same time. I mostly ignored teching as much as I could and focused on the special native unlocks required to reform instead.

The +10 force limit building was the only one I skipped because I couldn't afford to max out my army anyway and I got enough from owning provinces. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 24, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Poil posted:

No idea about guides or even competent play. I just sat on my butt slowly colonizing towards where I thought the Europeans would first land, made some no-CB wars against neighbors to get their land or vassalage them when I could (annexed them when they migrated up close) and slapped down as many of the income boosting buildings as possible to afford running two colonies and some army at the same time. I mostly ignored teching as much as I could.

The +10 force limit building was the only one I skipped because I couldn't afford to max out my army anyway and I got enough from owning provinces. :v:

Did you not have trouble with alliances when fighting wars? It seems like everyone allies everyone else, on top of the tribal federations making wars dicey.

I've been hoping to do the "no trail of tears" achievement.

I don't know I might try a peaceful playthrough instead, see where it gets me.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 24, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Private Speech posted:

Did you not have trouble with alliances when fighting wars? It seems like everyone allies everyone else, on top of the tribal federations making wars dicey. As I said leaving Cossacks out helps cut down on it a bit and lets you use allies offensively from start (which is when they are the most useful anyway).

I've been hoping to do the "no trail of tears" achievement.

I don't know I might try a peaceful playthrough instead, see where it gets me.
The Iroquois are pretty much the most powerful ones around so it wasn't too difficult, smaller nations are more difficult. I was able to crush most of the weaker OPM's and had to wait with the big Huron hug group until I had grown enough that I outnumbered them all. Most tribes allied the ones in their federation which didn't accomplish much and when they foolishly allied outside it I just attacked the outsider. I think I got lucky and a lot of the federations were just 2-3 OPM's which didn't stand a chance.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Somehow I've gotten myself elected emperor as Lorraine. France (mostly) and I (a little) smacked Austria up pretty good,and Austria had made some weird tiny electors I was able to win over. Now that I'm emperor, I don't know what to do-part of me thinks let's make the empire great but part of me thinks nah gently caress it let's just use this to do my conquering inside the Empire before I turn on France. The religious wars haven't started yet and I'm not sure I feel like navigating all that as emperor?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

TCs are -50% GC cost. Courthouses are -25% and their upgraded version is -50%. State houses are -20%/-40%. All of these modifiers are additive, and you can see that they exceed 100%. You're granted more than enough GC to create a solid foundation of states for a world conquest.

Of course, the micro of actually achieving true -100% across the entire world is too much, but as long as you get all the high dev land, it's generally good enough. You'll be spending the vast majority of your income on courthouses, town halls, and state houses after a while.

The downside is spending ages deleting the AI's crappy buildings one by one to free slots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's true. It'd be nice if the macro builder let us delete buildings too :v: