Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

That guy has quite the filmography. I like the sharp transition from cute Universal style monster features, into horny orgy movies.

We should all be so lucky :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Mine is a short film from 1968 that was used as a teaching tool for class discussion in high schools in America, called I Walk Away In The Rain. It's about a high school student that has no ambition, being confronted by a teacher about why he is able to score high on cognitive and performative tests, but doesn't excel with his grades. He says he is happier just living every day without ambition. The title is a song the boy sings and plays on guitar for his friends.

The film only exists on original 16mm prints, and was shown as part of a showcase of 16mm films used in high schools from the 1960s-1970s , along with Barbara Loden's The Boy Who Liked Deer, The Fur Coat Club, Silent Snow Secret Snow, and The Bike. The idea of the films was to provide a story that involved moral ambiguity and not-so-clear lessons, so kids could talk and discuss them. The audience was given copies of the actual supplemental material students would have in class while watching the film, including some questions, essay prompts, etc.

This was a showcase in my city's film festival. I wish the movies were more readily available to share. You can apparently rent the 16mm prints from some colleges for show.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
My least seen thing is a shot on video movie called Rap Quest. I bought it at a run down grocery store like 12 years ago from a wire rack, buy 2 for a dollar (the other movie I bought was The Exterminator). It looked like something terrible to put on at the party I was going to, and it was fuckin awful in the best way.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It looks like this is my least popular film on my LB.

https://letterboxd.com/film/erotic-scary-stories-vol2-poltergeist/

I'm the only person on the site that's watched it. IIRC it was neither as scary not as erotic as it should've been to be entertaining.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now I can't watch any more movies.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Now I can't watch any more movies.

What the heck, I have that number on criticker

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This app is a blessing and a curse. I love writing reviews (that I try to tailor to a general audience to hopefully help them decide if they want to watch a movie or not) but then I start looking at the average rating and the popular reviews and I just get depressed, like there’s something wrong with me, I dunno.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, it's a great reminder of how subjective taste is and how many people want and expect different things out of films than you. If you're reading reviews to get a deeper understanding of a film then you're probably looking in the wrong place. If you're reading reviews to see whether or not you'd enjoy a film, then reading average reviews isn't really the way to go. Like with Amazon product reviews, I find that Letterboxd reviews are the most useful if you read a couple low-star reviews and a couple high-star reviews and see which parts of each resonate with you.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I use Letterboxd less as a way to find film recommendations based on reviews and more a space to keep a film journal where I can jot down general thoughts and follow friends and critics I'm interested in. When I find stuff via Letterboxd it's either trawling through lists or just seeing what the people I choose to follow (and whose taste I'm intrigued by) watch.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like I guess in a weird fantasy way I wanna be a sort of Roger Ebert of action movies - can I set your expectations of what this movie is trying to be and how to maximize your entertainment of it, and can I stop you from watching a movie you probably wouldn’t like. I feel like that’s something’s that been lost in cinema reviews that should come back.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I feel you. I constantly feel the urge to get mad at people's bad opinions, but the average curve of most movies winding up weighted at a 3 helps me understand that most people on the site are incapable of feeling any real joy about anything, across any genre. I always try to follow the How Did This Get Made model and read the 5 star reviews, especially for outright terrible movies. I'd rather learn about what makes people feel joy than people trying to Rex Reed their way through life saying everything sucks.

Going to echo all of the other people here that say I just rate movies purely on my own enjoyment of them, not by how I think it would be definitively ranked in some cinematic museum. If that makes some nerd mad that I consider Venom a 5 star movie because I had a great time watching it on an edible, it is what it is.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I find average letterboxd ratings aren't crazy off from my own, in a lot of cases. There are a few that are baffling, but it's whatever. The only thing that really irks me is the deluge of gimmick reviews that get boosted to the top, whether it's a poor creative writing project or somebody workshopping their one-liner twitter comedy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The ratings distribution for Showgirls will always be my favorite thing about the site.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

I find average letterboxd ratings aren't crazy off from my own, in a lot of cases. There are a few that are baffling, but it's whatever. The only thing that really irks me is the deluge of gimmick reviews that get boosted to the top, whether it's a poor creative writing project or somebody workshopping their one-liner twitter comedy.

What I find annoying are the youtubers with (relatively) large followings that get their reviews boosted to the top, even when they're barely reviews at all. Whenever I get tired of seeing them I end up blocking their accounts.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I wish there was a script extension or something to auto-block one-word reviews like "Rifftrax" or "2/5".

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I think letterboxd just needs a different way of figuring out the top anything that they display. The top lists this movie is in or whatever it's called could be a fun thing, but it's always just "List Of Literally All Movies" or "1000 Movies That Have The Letter E In The Title".

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I think there’s a lot of Film Tumblr refugees on Letterboxd, which would explain why most of the top reviews are just “mmmmmM daddy gyllenHALL yes 👌😫”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

cebrail posted:

I think letterboxd just needs a different way of figuring out the top anything that they display. The top lists this movie is in or whatever it's called could be a fun thing, but it's always just "List Of Literally All Movies" or "1000 Movies That Have The Letter E In The Title".

Yeah it's rough. My biggest complaint by far is using the search function to find a list, though. The vast majority of my searches are that same garbage and I have to scroll for pages and pages to find what I'm looking for. I think the simplest thing is allowing an option for a title-only option. I also wish you could sort and filter your search results by likes, number of movies on a list, etc.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

cebrail posted:

The lists function can be so valuable for finding new movies on specific topics sometimes (I've used it as a resource on everything from labor and political history films to cybertronic exploitation cinema). But yeah, it's a giant loving eyeroll whenever I go to a Horror movie and see "Every Horror Movie Ever" or the drat ones where they organize 2,000 movies by poster color. Or the worst of them all: Random Movie Roulette.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Being able to hide lists from search/etc would be nice, I really don't need to know CoolKidDom has heard of this movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://letterboxd.com/film/tenet/

Keep scrolling.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
FWIW if you want better list functionality, less bullshit, etc. I find Criticker is a lot better for this sort of thing.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

The lists function can be so valuable for finding new movies on specific topics sometimes (I've used it as a resource on everything from labor and political history films to cybertronic exploitation cinema). But yeah, it's a giant loving eyeroll whenever I go to a Horror movie and see "Every Horror Movie Ever" or the drat ones where they organize 2,000 movies by poster color. Or the worst of them all: Random Movie Roulette.
That stuff doesn't bother me as much cuz IMDB lists have been equally useless since forever. I've been slowly working through these ones:

https://letterboxd.com/nerdfighter8842/list/cinefix-rule-breaking-films/
https://letterboxd.com/bdlowe/list/vulture-50-essential-movies-on-criterion/
https://letterboxd.com/lindercrest/list/bong-joon-hos-favorites/

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

FWIW if you want better list functionality, less bullshit, etc. I find Criticker is a lot better for this sort of thing.

Criticker needs an app

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I still use Criticker in addition to Letterboxd but I'm waiting for the day that site calls it quits and just shuts down. What even is the active userbase there these days?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If Criticker just got a bit of a visual facelift without changing any functionality it would attract/win back a lot more users. I use a browser extension with some custom CSS to pretty it up a bit and it makes a world of difference when it looks like a modern website rather than something out of 1998.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

If Criticker just got a bit of a visual facelift without changing any functionality it would attract/win back a lot more users. I use a browser extension with some custom CSS to pretty it up a bit and it makes a world of difference when it looks like a modern website rather than something out of 1998.
Yeah I absolutely agree. If Criticker looked like Letterboxd it would be eating Letterboxd's lunch. What's hilarious is that it did get a facelift a while ago and effectively nothing changed except some fonts. But you're looking at what they consider to be an improvement.

I figure that they make more in ads than the site costs to run and they don't give a poo poo about much else, and of course a redesign would be a huge pain in the rear end and expensive, so why bother?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Criticker is beautiful and you are all hypnotized by the siren of boring modern web design.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I dunno, man. I just hacked it together, but I'll take this boring:

over this eyesore:

any day. Now if it had spinning GIFs and patterned backgrounds it'd have some 90s camp appeal. But alas, it's just ugly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

cybertronic exploitation cinema
I'm sorry, are Rumble, Frenzy and Soundwave running a loving grindhouse studio under Megatron's moon base?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I deleted my Criticker when I switched over to Letterboxd because gently caress logging stuff twice, and at the time I was wiping like 7 years of reviews. No way am I ever going back

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

I'm sorry, are Rumble, Frenzy and Soundwave running a loving grindhouse studio under Megatron's moon base?

https://letterboxd.com/evanhusney/list/films-that-could-have-been-rad-sega-cd-games/
https://letterboxd.com/holliehorror/list/deep-dark-web-of-horror/
https://letterboxd.com/sternwise/list/cybertronic-movies/
https://letterboxd.com/topictag/list/hacker-movies-history-of-how-hackers-were/

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Cat Machine posted:

I think there’s a lot of Film Tumblr refugees on Letterboxd, which would explain why most of the top reviews are just “mmmmmM daddy gyllenHALL yes 👌😫”

Yeah the real worst reviews are the Harley Quinn avatars with the tired twitter memes in all caps.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I'm gonna add all of you and watch all your favorite movies. mwahaha

https://letterboxd.com/EatTheRich/

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hi ya’ll

add me https://boxd.it/yB99

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Now that October is coming to a close and I've burned myself out on horror, I'm switching it up and trying to watch all 40 of the new Hallmark movies for Christmas that have already started airing. Each formulaic movie gets a formulaic review, a horniness rating, and a drinking game to make it tolerable/hospitalize yourself.

Here's hoping by the time that real Christmas comes around and is a massive bummer, I'll be so sick of it I won't want to see another Christmas tree or white person anyway.

https://letterboxd.com/jayx/list/hallmark-channel-christmas-season-2020/

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

godspeed you maniac

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Now that October is coming to a close and I've burned myself out on horror, I'm switching it up and trying to watch all 40 of the new Hallmark movies for Christmas that have already started airing. Each formulaic movie gets a formulaic review, a horniness rating, and a drinking game to make it tolerable/hospitalize yourself.

Here's hoping by the time that real Christmas comes around and is a massive bummer, I'll be so sick of it I won't want to see another Christmas tree or white person anyway.

https://letterboxd.com/jayx/list/hallmark-channel-christmas-season-2020/

I will be stickying the Holiday Movies thread again in November, so I would recommend you posting the reviews in there for your convenience, because that's what the thread was made for! (The thread is open, so you can start posting now if you want).

I highly recommend you watch A Christmas Movie Christmas after you've watched a handful. It's a legit Hallmark Christmas movie from a Hallmark veteran director, but the premise is obviously meta. I started it out of irony and ended up just genuinely enjoying it. Also, Ryan Merriman is in it, and it's strange seeing Ryan Merriman in a film that wasn't made in 2000 for the Disney Channel.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh fun, I was hoping there was a Christmas thread too, have bookmarked and I'll copy my opening reviews over. One last week of terror to get through!

Hadn't heard of that Christmas Movie Christmas but it's definitely on the watchlist, and I'll suggest it as a watchparty thing with some friends who I know who like these films if they haven't seen, thanks.

I love delving through the previous work of the cast and crew, as it kind of makes a weird sense to go from low budget horror to low budget (but guaranteed salary) TVM work. The moment I realised I could start my opening review with 'From the director of 'I Spit On Your Grave' ' I knew I would have some fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh fun, I was hoping there was a Christmas thread too, have bookmarked and I'll copy my opening reviews over. One last week of terror to get through!

Hadn't heard of that Christmas Movie Christmas but it's definitely on the watchlist, and I'll suggest it as a watchparty thing with some friends who I know who like these films if they haven't seen, thanks.

I love delving through the previous work of the cast and crew, as it kind of makes a weird sense to go from low budget horror to low budget (but guaranteed salary) TVM work. The moment I realised I could start my opening review with 'From the director of 'I Spit On Your Grave' ' I knew I would have some fun.

The past two years, my friend organized Hallmark Christmas Movie Parties where we would do something festive (gingerbread house or something), have Christmas-y drinks like loaded eggnog or whatever, and then play Hallmark Movie Bingo. Each person gets a blank Bingo card and fills it out with Hallmark Christmas Movie tropes of their choosing--"Helpful old man is actually Santa" , "Kiss under mistletoe", "Main Character cares more about Career than Christmas", you get the idea. Whoever gets Bingo is crowned the winner and gets some silly prize. It's very fun, and I'm kinda sad we probably won't get to do something like that this year, unless it's over zoom. Feel free to steal that idea.